2022 Silly Season

Deadass that is moving goal posts. I'm actually agreeing with Blaze.

@Snappy D I'm not sure, I feel the best option in Cup is to go to RWR with the new car and make them look semi-competitive.

I feel as if that would help his stock tremendously.
Is our guy being considered for a ride there? This I didnt know, I was about to ask if we've had any news or rumors on where The People's Champ will be plying his craft in 2022.

If he actually got time to prove himself and failed I say he isn’t as good as I think. But some of the people on the other side wouldn’t ever admit to being wrong. It also depends on what people say is a good ride as well.

Did you think Bowman would ever win before he had a chance with HMS?
I think when it's all said and done, like 5-10 years from now I'd wager that we are going to see that Rick could have done better than what he put in the 48/88 and maybe even the 24. But that's with the benefit of hindsight and that hindsight might be wrong. To answer your question, probably not no. Let me pose a question to you....... do you think Bowman could win in another car thats not HMS AND do you think your guy could win in the 48 himself?

Like talking to a ****** brick wall.
well if I may, if it wasnt for a points reset and playoffs Jeff Gordon would be a 7 time champ, Harvick 3 time and Edwards 2. I think what Stand On It is trying to say is that the points as they are now is the only absolute we are dealing with in this debate. We cant say for certain what itd be if it was full regular season points that we all know and some love.

well if I may, if it wasnt for a points reset and playoffs Jeff Gordon would be a 7 time champ, Harvick 3 time and Edwards 2. I think what Stand On It is trying to say is that the points as they are now is the absolute we are dealing with. We cant say for certain what itd be if it was regular points.
regular points you say. 16th. It's nonsensical though, teams race differently with the points system they race under now, but still unimpressive.

I think when it's all said and done, like 5-10 years from now I'd wager that we are going to see that Rick could have done better than what he put in the 48/88 and maybe even the 24. But that's with the benefit of hindsight and that hindsight might be wrong. To answer your question, probably not no. Let me pose a question to you....... do you think Bowman could win in another car thats not HMS AND do you think your guy could win in the 48 himself?

Depends on the ride. Since we’re putting Matt in the 48 for this, I’ll put Bowman in the 21 and I don’t think he win in it. Alliance with Penske isn’t Penske even if SOI wants to say so. Do I think Matt could win in the 48? I like to think he could, he would have his best chance at a short track, which he’s run good at IMO plenty of times. Won’t even mention Daytona or Dega since those sometimes require some luck with the skills. I think his chances at a 1.5 would be kind of there but maybe not to many wins.

Whatever happend to the non Matty D silly season thread?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Matt is only P18 because of the playoff point reset. He slides up to P14 in points looking at points totals without the reset and points scored per race. Realistically, he’s up there with guys like Bowman, Kurt Busch and Reddick with respect to consistent point collection. Unfortunately, the current system doesn't really reward that.

The 7 years cup experience line is disingenuous throw away. He’s spent 5 of those years over performing in under funded equipment, making his own way up the ladder.

If you’re actually honest about it, things make more sense.
I been trying to beat this point into him, and he only wants to talk about the 21 car. He doesn’t wanna look at stuff that shows Matt is better than he’s willing to credit him for.

I been trying to beat this point into him, and he only wants to talk about the 21 car. He doesn’t wanna look at stuff that shows Matt is better than he’s willing to credit him for.
That record and a buck will get you a cup of coffee. Two years in the 21 was his chance and he blew it. This ain't rocket science.

The story that came out of the Penske for hiring Burton was new driver for a new car..whatever that means. I betting his first year at this time of the year he won't be in 18th place driving Penske stuff.

Harrison hasn’t won enough in the 20 but I’m convinced the 54 is better than the 18/20.

Harrison hasn’t won enough in the 20 but I’m convinced the 54 is better than the 18/20.
total green rookie in cup. He only has one cup race under his belt. Penske must know something nobody else knows. Personally the way he drives is pretty conservative and I think that will suit him well in the new car his first year

I also am having trouble with why are we disqualifying the 21 from being a Penske satellite car? I thought Penske did their chassis, engines, and helped with crew members? Did this change and I was unbeknownst about it happening?

I also am having trouble with why are we disqualifying the 21 from being a Penske satellite car? I thought Penske did their chassis, engines, and helped with crew members? Did this change and I was unbeknownst about it happening?
Satellite car isn’t the same as being an actual Penske car IMO. I’m sure they aren’t giving them certain things. I could be wrong on that, but I just feel like they withhold some things

Depends on the ride. Since we’re putting Matt in the 48 for this, I’ll put Bowman in the 21 and I don’t think he win in it. Alliance with Penske isn’t Penske even if SOI wants to say so. Do I think Matt could win in the 48? I like to think he could, he would have his best chance at a short track, which he’s run good at IMO plenty of times. Won’t even mention Daytona or Dega since those sometimes require some luck with the skills. I think his chances at a 1.5 would be kind of there but maybe not to many wins.
I personally think and just my opinion if you put Alex in the 21 I Think he wins in it over time but I dont think his numbers would be far off from where they are with Blaney in there. I think Alex would be on the cusp of the playoffs in that ride but alot would have to go right for him to get in. If Matt was in the 48, I just dont think he'd have the success that you'd have had with Alex in there. I do think in Matt's defense though he gets the 48 in the playoffs or very very close but would be a quick exit. I think Matt would be better in the 48 than JJ in his last season though. My statements are all conjuncture, Id love to pour over some data and really really see, Im just going off what I See sitting on my couch.

Lets also not dismiss Hassler being brought to the box in the middle of the season. Get a full season with him and that’s a hell of a team, IMO. I hope he succeeds with his 2022 gig.

It surely has to take rocket science for you to realize it’s not a Penske car
Confused. Penske gave flat Matt another year in the 21 if I remember correctly to build his brand. Lets see ya B.S. your way out of that one there space cowboy :laugh:

I personally think and just my opinion if you put Alex in the 21 I Think he wins in it over time but I dont think his numbers would be far off from where they are with Blaney in there. I think Alex would be on the cusp of the playoffs in that ride but alot would have to go right for him to get in. If Matt was in the 48, I just dont think he'd have the success that you'd have had with Alex in there. I do think in Matt's defense though he gets the 48 in the playoffs or very very close but would be a quick exit. I think Matt would be better in the 48 than JJ in his last season though. My statements are all conjuncture, Id love to pour over some data and really really see, Im just going off what I See sitting on my couch.

I can respect that, I mean besides the few finishes I mentioned I don’t have much to back up my stuff myself. I just feel it’s there and the right team for him (not just who he’s racing for, but the team around him at said team) would do him wonders I also think a short track would be his best bet, but even then I wouldn’t bet on it because I don’t bet on anyone other than myself haha.

Confused. Penske gave flat Matt another year in the 21 if I remember correctly to build his brand. Lets see ya B.S. your way out of that one there space cowboy :laugh:
Penske might make choices. But if you think he shares all the resources and data and everything with them then, I can’t change your mind. I’m done talking to you. Gonna spend my last couple weeks or so here in peace.

Penske might make choices. But if you think he shares all the resources and data and everything with them then, I can’t change your mind. I’m done talking to you. Gonna spend my last couple weeks or so here in peace.
People do that when they are the boss.

I'm actually curious about the 21 car debate. A few of you think it's a far worse car than I do. Does anyone know exact details on just how "Penske" that car is? I figured it was WBR in name only and ran as a 4th Penske car since I've seen pics of the 21 in the Penske shop and Roger himself made decisions on who drives it.

That 48 car hasn't been very good most of the year and their luck has been even worse. I sure hope you are not rating Bowman's performance off of the stats from this season. I'm not saying it's Greg Ives but they need to figure out why all of a sudden that team is not competitive. My bet is it's not Bowman...in fact I think if he was in any other car at HMS he would probably be chasing a championship right now unless lady luck followed him there. Lets just look as far as the last couple races. Bowman wasn't the reason he had to start in the rear and Bowman wasn't the reason Bubba crashed him out of the race. The week before Bowman wasn't the one that left the wheel loose.

Last edited:
I'm actually curious about the 21 car debate. A few of you think it's a far worse car than I do. Does anyone know exact details on just how "Penske" that car is? I figured it was WBR in name only and ran as a 4th Penske car since I've seen pics of the 21 in the Penske shop and Roger himself made decisions on who drives it.
If you give a team cars and everything like he does. You can make choices. Doesn’t make him the owner, and doesn’t make it an actual Penske car either.

That 48 car hasn't been very good most of the year and their luck has been even worse. I sure hope you are not rating Bowman's performance off of the stats from this season. I'm not saying it's Greg Ives but they need to figure out why all of a sudden that team is not competitive. My bet is it's not Bowman...in fact I think if he was in any other car at HMS he would probably be chasing a championship right now unless lady luck followed him there. Lets just look back at the last few races. Bowman wasn't the reason he had to start in the rear and Bowman wasn't the reason Bubba crashed him out of the race. The week before Bowman wasn't the one that left the wheel loose.
Edit... Here is one I forgot, Bowman didn't put a faulty alternator on the car. The list goes on and on and on. :)

Last edited:
Satellite car isn’t the same as being an actual Penske car IMO. I’m sure they aren’t giving them certain things. I could be wrong on that, but I just feel like they withhold some things

Exactly, just look what Larsen did in the 42 which was a Hendrick satellite car compared to how he has done in the 5, a Hendrick car. Of course owners are gonna keep the best equipment for themselves.

Being the 4th car at any organization isn’t always the best situation.

Exactly, just look what Larsen did in the 42 which was a Hendrick satellite car compared to how he has done in the 5, a Hendrick car. Of course owners are gonna keep the best equipment for themselves.
Ganassi has his own people building the car, setting it up. Penske builds all of the Wood brothers cars with his drivers in the seat, so nope it isn't exactly the same, not even close

Never seen WBR as being on par with Penske. They’ve been given a boost from the alliance for sure, but it’s pretty telling when they’ve gotten one lone victory in the past few years, courtesy of the future President.

no goal post moving slick. Facts and figures tell the story, not wishing and hoping. This ol B.S. story about having crappy equipment falls on it's face when flat Matt gets into a decent car and bombs out.
I don't consider WBR as a Penske car. Penske builds the cars but the rest is all WBR and they haven't done much in the last 10 years or so. Put Matt in a full JGR, Penske or even RCR car and then make a judgement call taking into account Joey couldn't keep a JGR ride and is now a champion which Denny hasn't been able to do.

That record and a buck will get you a cup of coffee. Two years in the 21 was his chance and he blew it. This ain't rocket science.
I would say WBR blew it, just like JGR blew it with Joey. It is the luck of the draw between driver/CC that makes a team a winner.

At the conclusion of this season I will have been a member here for 4 years. I never thought I’d be a contributing member of an Internet forum but here we are. I have seen in my time here a member derail multiple threads with multiple identities each time he was suspended, various Cup points systems complaints of which I was a participating culprit in just a few, Angst about how a Cup owner spends his money outside of racing, Push Rod debate, crystal ball predictions about Wilkesboro and Rockingham coming back, speculation if a sponsor is a real sponsor even if they cut a check to a team and their name is on the car but you can’t buy product at Walmart , and probably other mind numbing exercises I’m forgetting but this..this Di Burrito debate has been the MOST exhausting topic since I’ve been here. No mas...I tap out. Fire Kyle Busch and put Matt in the 18.

Back
Top Bottom