'21 Generation 7 Car news

Discussion in 'NASCAR chat' started by StandOnIt, Feb 19, 2019.

1. jaqua19

jaqua19 Team Owner

I loved the 2003-2007 cars.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Speedbowl14 likes this.
  2. wi_racefan

wi_racefan Team Owner

All I'm saying is that if you allow a tolerance teams will manipulate the chassis for a performance advantage. They're doing the same thing with the bodies right now

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

3. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

I understand what you are saying and yeah with the current car that is mostly built by the teams, constant development engineering for more speed while staying under the radar is constantly going on. Outside vendors making certain parts should eliminate a lot of that. The last I heard was that the OEM's will build their own engines, so I'm sure they will dump a ton of money in the engines. Raising HP is the most expensive and gives the least results to gain speed but that isn't going to stop anybody who has the money from doing so, but at least it is a performance enhancer that shows the least results on the track compared to reducing drag by aero.

4. DewChaser988

DewChaser988 NASCAR fan since 1998

There was a good idea with the COT though, ot was designed to eliminate the need for track specific cars

5. KTMLew01

KTMLew01 Team Owner

Thing is i didn't know that wasn't still included in current chassis. COT was beginning of R& D pre-inspection of chassis before any body panels were installed. Just bare chassis or if you prefer roll cage & frame. I thought they still did that? The speed is found in underbody and radiator panels along with very slight body tweaks. These cars are just huge go-karts so for tracks that they don't use much brake the suspension is fairly irrelevant. Car runs around on bump stops. The new car should be a whole new deal.

Team Penske likes this.
  6. ChexOrWrex

ChexOrWrex Ya gotta wanna

The COT was ugly as **** but provided some of the best racing the sport has seen.

Don't @ me.

7. Ventisca

Ventisca Team Owner

[​IMG]

:D

LouieLouie likes this.
  8. DewChaser988

Actually, the Gen 4 did that

9. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

not a whole hell of a lot of difference to the car of today FWIW.

[​IMG]

10. DewChaser988

They were a bit less sensitive to dirty air though.

11. AuzGrams

AuzGrams Team Owner

IIRC a lot of people started to get turned off the Gen4 when they started doing the coil binding and all that.

KTMLew01 likes this.
  12. Charlie Spencer

Charlie Spencer Remember the Gator

?

13. ChexOrWrex

14. Charlie Spencer

15. ChexOrWrex

Ffs I gave you the dictionary definition
    [​IMG]

16. kyle busch 18

kyle busch 18 1ST PLACE!

I wish i would of followed racing more back in the 1990's. Those cars looked the best and raced the best. I seen a race from 1995 the other day and was blown away how much better they could race each other

Team Penske, Turtle84 and 2 Sweet like this.
  17. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

18. Charlie Spencer

Logano to the #3. You read it here first.

SpeedPagan likes this.
  19. Kiante

Kiante Team Owner

From the Cowboy hat to the classic pencil-necked geek.

You're pushing your luck.

20. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

Testing the car at ISM/Phoenix.
    Joey Logano to test Next Gen car at ISM Raceway next week

This is confusing I believe it was yesterday and today

Joey Logano will take part in a two-day test of the Cup Series’ Next Gen car next weekend at ISM Raceway, NASCAR confirmed Tuesday.

The test on the 1-mile track is scheduled for Monday and Tuesday with Logano the only driver participating.

NASCAR President Steve Phelps said during championship weekend in Miami that the car is expected to be delivered to teams in July of next year.

https://nascar.nbcsports.com/2019/12/03/joey-logano-to-test-next-gen-car-at-ism-raceway-next-week/

21. Mispeedway15

Mispeedway15 Team Owner

Metrology is a beautiful thing

Charlie Spencer likes this.
  22. Mispeedway15

Mispeedway15 Team Owner

I will say too the speeds made a big difference. I think it’s what hurt the end of the low downforce era, they were carrying so much damn speed into turns that passing on 1.5 & 2 mile tracks became essentially impossible without a horsepower advantage

StandOnIt likes this.
  23. SpeedPagan

SpeedPagan The iRacing Guru

Looking at the picture of the Gen7 cars, is it me or is the trunk area (decklid) shorter than the Gen6?

24. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

I know they will say it's a generic body, but I wouldn't think it is that far off. Hopefully some decent pictures will show up.

25. Charlie Spencer

I recall reading that it would be shorter, but I suffer from CRS.

LouieLouie likes this.
  26. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

27. SpeedPagan

28. ChexOrWrex

29. Hawaii808

Hawaii808 Team Owner

Is it just me, or where the hood vents on the last test car bigger? New ones that are more sponsor logo friendly?

30. Kiante

Kiante Team Owner

Stop playing with me:

- Car is not crabbing
    - The car is not sucked to the ground
    - Dual exhaust outlets on both sides
    - Sound badass, of course and I'm noticing the RPMs are not as dramatic.

Not to mention the car looks great from the front, but I need some pics of the rear and that rear decklid. NASCAR might be onto to something here...

31. wi_racefan

wi_racefan Team Owner

I like it so far at least it tracks straight and isn't all yawed out. Sadly give teams enough time and they'll take care of that

32. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Lots of subtle and not so subtle changes.

33. Hawaii808

Hawaii808 Team Owner

Liking that profile a lot.

34. wi_racefan

wi_racefan Team Owner

I'd like to see a good front on pic and an overhead pic

35. Snappy D

Snappy D 2017 Pick Em Champion 2018 Bold Predictor

Car looks extremely racey, and like how its higher off the ground

36. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

These are off the Nascar site
    [​IMG][​IMG]

37. ChexOrWrex

Remember this is still a generic body. They are still testing the chassis and suspension.

jws926 likes this.
  38. KTMLew01

KTMLew01 Team Owner

I don't care about the body. Want to see the suspension and drive-train. Big springs or coil-overs? IRS or solid axle? Rack & Pinion or 50 y/o center link/idler arm ****. Quick change center section so they don't have to spend a million bucks on rear gears?

39. SpeedPagan

Still not a big fan of the big ass rear spolier, but this car is looking better and better.

40. Charlie Spencer

The nose is basically flat from top to bottom, other than the slightly recessed trapezoid around the grill.

There's a whole lot of square footage on that front end below the top crease going to the hood. Might make for some interesting paint schemes.

Does the splitter stop several inches short of spanning the full front width? That should put an end to the Ben-Hur effect.