'21 Generation 7 Car news

The car definitely has reasons to feel foreign to these guys compared to the gen 6. Just the pedal box alone, now with floor mount pedals instead of top mounted pedals is a different feeling. The front and rear bumpers are aluminum now which means the car has better mass centralization than the previous gen which gives a car more responsive handling due to changing the polar moment of intertia more favorably for direction changes. The new short track/road course brake rotors are 15". That's as large as the current wheels are. Huge difference there, and he drove it at the most braking intensive track on the tour, so I'd like to hear insight about that like have they basically eliminated brake fade. With indecent rear suspension now they can fully adjust rear camber and toe. That's *massive* for this sport, tell us if those adjustments are helping the car rotate on center or give better forward drive. These tires are wider and the compounds are softer too, that's big in all regards.

There's tons of changes at play here. Way more than "added accessories" (I don't even know what you mean by that). The car physically will behave very differently than the solid rear axle, recirculating ball steering having dinosaur they use now.
Yeah, this has all been marketed ad nauseam. That still doesnt change the fact that NASCAR is pushing this car as exciting and different, and that is their right to. Even in the interview with Kurt, one of the first things he mentions is “the car is fun, exciting and different”. The biggest points always pointed to are the sequential gear box, the updated steering, the hood heat extractors, the change in wheel size with the single center nut, the independent rear suspension and the rear diffuser. Those are the points that NASCAR has focused on to separate this car from the Gen 6. These are all things that will certainly cause the driver to notice changes but what I was getting at was that I don’t think it’s enough change where the drivers now have a foreign feel and have to start from scratch on learning in some areas. These guys have driven a variety of cars and it’s not something that they are dramatically unfamiliar with and have to radically adjust to how they handle a race car - and Alex may just not be so wow’d by it that he gets giddy when explaining the differences.

Yeah, this has all been marketed ad nauseam. That still doesnt change the fact that NASCAR is pushing this car as exciting and different, and that is their right to. Even in the interview with Kurt, one of the first things he mentions is “the car is fun, exciting and different”. The biggest points always pointed to are the sequential gear box, the updated steering, the hood heat extractors, the change in wheel size with the single center nut, the independent rear suspension and the rear diffuser. Those are the points that NASCAR has focused on to separate this car from the Gen 6. These are all things that will certainly cause the driver to notice changes but what I was getting at was that I don’t think it’s enough change where the drivers now have a foreign feel and have to start from scratch on learning in some areas. These guys have driven a variety of cars and it’s not something that they are dramatically unfamiliar with and have to radically adjust to how they handle a race car - and Alex may just not be so wow’d by it that he gets giddy when explaining the differences.
What Kurt said was "Today has been a fun, exciting, interesting day, it's like the first day at school BECAUSE of how different the car is.". This is the correct quote BTW. Kurt has driven the car, none of the R-F experts have. ;) I think I will take his word for it...opinions vary and the guess and by golly crowd will do what they do.

What Kurt said was "Today has been a fun, exciting, interesting day, it's like the first day at school BECAUSE of how different the car is.". This is the correct quote BTW. Kurt has driven the car, none of the R-F experts have. ;) I think I will take his word for it...opinions vary and the guess and by golly crowd will do what they do.
Here lies the king of semantics and taking things way out of proportion lmao

Here lies the king of semantics and taking things way out of proportion lmao
can't really care less if you have problems with what Kurt actually said compared to what you posted. Doesn't matter, but for the record that is what he said was about how different the car IS, not how similar it is to the older car which you think it is? You have a right to your opinion, but at least get the drivers words correct.

can't really care less if you have problems with what Kurt actually said compared to what you posted. Doesn't matter, but for the record that is what he said was about how different the car IS, not how similar it is to the older car which you think it is? You have a right to your opinion, but at least get the drivers words correct.
Look up what paraphrasing is, damn. You have an argument with some poster in damn near every thread - chill bruh.

The car is different, but apparently not different enough to be able to explain it by Alex Bowman. Happy?

You will have many other opportunities to trash the car ;) So far no driver has, but I am sure one will out there somewhere. Like I said awhile back, Kurt or Austin Dillion would have done a better job of representing the car.

I think you're looking at it the wrong way. Just because they're professionals doesn't mean that they won't care and won't think it seems that different. Because they *are* professionals they *will* feel every small difference and will surely have an opinion on all of it. Alex just didn't share any of his opinions or objective insights and I wish he did.

One safety feature that I may have missed in this thread is a flap on the rear diffuser that deploys when the car is turned around backwards at speed, an attempt to keep the car dirty side down. That’ll be interesting to see in action.

More specifically it's the 1.5 intermediate tracks.
I'd say it's more about the shape of these tracks. Homestead puts on fantastic racing. Darlington is awesome. Atlanta used to be awesome. Getting away from that D shaped track would be a massive win for the sport

Before you guys pull out your plastic knives and water pistols and start war with each other just remember this is Alex Bowman you are talking about. He is very good at giving feed back to his team when there are no cameras around but when the cameras are on he is probably the shyest driver in the pits and one of the reasons he has anxiety attacks. So I'm pretty sure he was as nervous as a lamb in an alligator pond doing that video shoot. I have said a few times in the past that I laugh and shake my head every time I here the word Bowman the showman because other then that word rhyming with his last name that is the last word I would choose for Alex Bowman. He is probably the last person I would have chosen if I wanted someone that would be giddy and show a lot of excitement in front of a camera because that is just not his style. That being said I can't hardly wait to see these cars in action and watch him get his 2nd cup championship in one of them after he gets his first one this year.:) :dpepsi:

Like I said Kurt or Austin Dillion would have done a better job of it. Nothing against Bowman, just the fact that I saw what both Dillion and Kurt said about the car when they drove it. Both were talking in depth about how different the car was to drive than the previous Gen and they both liked the car.

Internet argument.jpg

Interesting how the same guy always is involved. The guy that just had heart surgery.

Sure liked listening to that clip. What I took away from it is that the
driver will make all the difference and to some extent the CC.
Sounds like HMS is going to be laying off a lot of people and shops will be much smaller.

Does anyone know how the distribution of parts is going to work? Do charter holders get first priority or does everyone that wants a chassis get one before teams start getting multiple?

I mean if you if you allow the charter guys to get multiple chassis before non charter guys you keep putting the guys that are behind further behind.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Does anyone know how the distribution of parts is going to work? Do charter holders get first priority or does everyone that wants a chassis get one before teams start getting multiple?

I mean if you if you allow the charter guys to get multiple chassis before non charter guys you keep putting the guys that are behind further behind.

This isn't complicated. One car can race on all of the tracks instead of teams having a short track, an intermediate, a super speedway and a road racing car. (big savings)

This isn't complicated. One car can race on all of the tracks instead of teams having a short track, an intermediate, a super speedway and a road racing car. (big savings)
I get that but my question is when it comes to distribution. Are charter teams given more cars before open teams? Say I plan on running the first 10 races next year as an open team am I going to have to wait til all charter teams have say 3 cars before I get my 1st one? Having to wait that long to get your hands on them is a huge disadvantage.

If they have the money they can buy a car, doesn't matter who. There isn't a shortage
Yeah but you would think they're has to be be some distribution order. They don't have 280 of them sitting around that 40 teams can get their 7 cars immediately

Once again I have to say. Seems like charters are hurting the opportunity for better competition.

Charters are a tremendous success though from a business perspective. Why would you want to join a league where you have no ability to sell your business for more than you got it for? These guys when closing up shops were selling equipment for pennies on the dollar, charters allow them to offset the cost.

It's why you keep seeing expansion in the other sports leagues, owning a franchise is incredibly lucrative. Owning a race team should be as well

With that being said, the demand for cup charters has pushed them above $10M a piece. Not sure if he’s factoring that in or not.
Charters are going to be like the stock market, value will go up and go down at times. Jr said on DJD that its great the charters are becoming more valuable. Teams selling used equipment chassis, etc. It's never worth that much and the charter gives owner a tool to make money down the line.

Jr probably wants to buy low as well to maximize profit, if he decides to get out of Cup.

Charters are just like an expansion team, you have an entry fee to enter the sport. Every sport has an entry fee for an a new team.

Think about this, Gene Haas spent 100 million dollars to enter F1... That's just to get into F1, not including facilites, employees, equipment, etc.

Charters are going to be like the stock market, value will go up and go down at times.
and it’s all predicated on supply vs demand. NASCAR can artificially create a bull market by not increasing the number of charters to meet the current demand. The number of charters is still based on studies from how the sport looked 6-8 years ago and the number of available charters won’t change until 2025. If they are over $10M today, how far will it jump in 4 years? The potential exists to create a crash because they’ve artificially priced everyone out of the market. Then the whole reason they created charters to begin with backfires.

and it’s all predicated on supply vs demand. NASCAR can artificially create a bull market by not increasing the number of charters to meet the current demand. The number of charters is still based on studies from how the sport looked 6-8 years ago and the number of available charters won’t change until 2025. If they are over $10M today, how far will it jump in 4 years? The potential exists to create a crash because they’ve artificially priced everyone out of the market.
It's a bubble right now, if the NextGen car performance is on point, we could see it increase or decrease.

Not to mention, if another OEM joins the fold, that will change everything in terms of value. This is why 36 is the magic number of charters, it retains it value while also holding the exclusivity of being in Cup. We'll see, I think its an exciting time for new possible owners to jump in.

Xfinity and Truck Series will need to be evaluated sooner than later as well.

Not to mention, if another OEM joins the fold, that will change everything in terms of value. This is why 36 is the magic number of charters, it retains it value while also holding the exclusivity of being in Cup. We'll see, I think its an exciting time for new possible owners to jump in.
If new owners or OEMs jump in, are we expecting them to be satisfied and comfortable as new member when they have to make each race on speed until 2025 while Rick Ware gets to race while sitting on their thumbs?

If I was looking in, I wouldn’t be attracted to Cup racing if it’s pay to play.

I think NASCAR has to come in either before or after the 2022 season and add a handful of new charters for availability to bring the price down and make the sport more competitive with the next gen car.

Last edited:
If new owners or OEMs jump in, are we expecting them to be satisfied and comfortable as new member when they have to make each race on speed until 2025 while Rick Ware gets to race while sitting on their thumbs?

If I was looking in, I wouldn’t be attracted to Cup racing if it’s pay to play.
New car, cheaper to maintain, I'm given a list of vendors to where I can purchase everything, etc.

Costs initially are going to be high, but that's anything you enter for the first time is going to be expensive. That's any sport, but now teams with charters are given a bigger slice, now its a problem.

If you can afford a Cup team, you should be able to afford a charter. Everyone talks about the big teams, but still if teams like Live Fast, 23XI, Trackhouse, and Kaulig are all able to do it with no issue. Owners of teams, especially in racing need something to make it profitable.

That's the issue, it needs to be profitable to make it more attractive. Racing has never been lucrative in terms of profitability. Heck, its the reason why Brad Keselowski quit the truck series. Kevin Harvick as well, they both lost over a million dollars in terms of end of year numbers. Losing a over a million a year is tough for a lower-tier series.

All of these things out together is supposed to reduce this loss. The initial costs are the biggest gripe, but onwards it should not be anywhere near as much to maintain as let's say during this Gen 6 era.

If I can as an owner net a million or two million a season compared to losing that same amount, that will be huge in the long run. That could mean more for my employees to create more for them in the long run.

I think NASCAR has to come in either before or after the 2022 season and add a handful of new charters for availability to bring the price down and make the sport more competitive with the next gen car.
Why would current charter holders agree to that?

The agreement with NASCAR is in place until 2025.

Looks like Ganassi did the right thing by selling the whole team (with 2 charters) as a whole. That's how the charter system was intended to be.

With Ganassi selling out, I'm curious to see where Kurt goes. I doubt he sticks around.

Looks like Ganassi did the right thing by selling the whole team (with 2 charters) as a whole. That's how the charter system was intended to be.

With Ganassi selling out, I'm curious to see where Kurt goes. I doubt he sticks around.
Kurt to 23IX.

I keep seeing this. But I can't imagine that MJ hires a driver in his twilight. Doesn't Hamlin seem like the logical driver to go?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
I think from a financial standpoint Denny is likely better staying at JGR. Why not have someone else pay your contract instead of having to pay yourself?

Back
Top Bottom