'21 Generation 7 Car news

Spot on.

For reference, iRacing has so much grip coded into the next gen car that it can run WFO at any 1.5 indefinitely. There is no fall off. Also, it can clock 12 second laps at Bristol, nearly WFO there too. It’s silly. In no way is that iRacing car representative of how the actual car handles.
If they put that much mechanical grip in them with IRS and still have 550 hp I'd expect them to run wide open around all 1.5 miles. They're not far off that now

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

If they put that much mechanical grip in them with IRS and still have 550 hp I'd expect them to run wide open around all 1.5 miles. They're not far off that now

I believe it was Pockrass that said the car has more drag then the gen 6 so Nascar is looking at turning it up to get to the speeds they want. I believe this is going to be more of a physical car that an out right single file aero screamer. My guess anyway. The Gen 6 last version had a lot of contact, but it couldn't take much.

I ran 10 laps in the next gen Camaro on iRacing this afternoon at Charlotte. WFO for all 10 laps without even a hint of breaking throttle. It was just like the test footage that leaked. 178 at end of straight, down to 173 mid corner, rinse and repeat. IF this is where it's headed, NASCAR has found a way to make the intermediates infinitely worse.

(I would write this all off to "it's a video game" but this strongly correlates to all the video we've seen of the car testing.)

I ran 10 laps in the next gen Camaro on iRacing this afternoon at Charlotte. WFO for all 10 laps without even a hint of breaking throttle. It was just like the test footage that leaked. 178 at end of straight, down to 173 mid corner, rinse and repeat. IF this is where it's headed, NASCAR has found a way to make the intermediates infinitely worse.

(I would write this all off to "it's a video game" but this strongly correlates to all the video we've seen of the car testing.)
did ya go in there two or three wide?

did ya go in there two or three wide?
Was solo at Charlotte. Went through turns at Darlington 2 wide with people as they are hosting official races with the Next Gen cars there. But... yeah.

And to be a smart ass right back, MTJ and Kurt Busch ran multiple laps at Charlotte two wide, WFO for the test back in November.

I want this car to be a hit. I really do. But if it's glued to the track with next to no lift time to create deltas, then they're just trying to manufacture Talladega at every 1.5er and that is a huge turnoff for me. There's still plenty of time to hone the package in. The more aero they strip away and put grip back in the hands of crew chiefs with setup, the better IMHO. Just MY humble opinion, though.

Was solo at Charlotte. Went through turns at Darlington 2 wide with people as they are hosting official races with the Next Gen cars there. But... yeah.

And to be a smart ass right back, MTJ and Kurt Busch ran multiple laps at Charlotte two wide, WFO for the test back in November.

I want this car to be a hit. I really do. But if it's glued to the track with next to no lift time to create deltas, then they're just trying to manufacture Talladega at every 1.5er and that is a huge turnoff for me. There's still plenty of time to hone the package in. The more aero they strip away and put grip back in the hands of crew chiefs with setup, the better IMHO. Just MY humble opinion, though.
wasn't being a smart ass dude, I was curious how they handled in a pack. There was quite a bit of side by side racing at one lane Darlington of all places

Yea, I don't know of any iRacers who think they can turn a few laps in iRacing in the current Gen6 cars and they're ready to be the next Dale Earnhardt Sr. I think the only people who are making that leap are the media personalities and we all know how they blow things out of proportion. I agree that iRacing is perfect for hobbyist like myself, although I wish I'd gotten into dirt racing when I was younger, but it is what it is.

I'm interested what data iRacing got from NASCAR and what data (if any) they got from Goodyear. While NASCAR may be willing to share data, I don't think Goodyear is so willing.

wasn't being a smart ass dude, I was curious how they handled in a pack. There was quite a bit of side by side racing at one lane Darlington of all places
Sorry, man. I misread it as snark. I’ve had a crappy week amd I didn’t mean to take it out on you.

I ran side by side at Darlington, and while scary, the pucker factor wasn’t near as high as current cup car. The Next Gen schedule they’ve posted on iRacing goes to Martinsville next, which is always a s*** show no matter the series. After that is COTA I think.

Just me but that’s a bigger change to the on-track performance than the number of wheel nuts. Man, oh man…

EDIT That’s a huge tool taken out of the crew chief’s box. Did anyone see that coming?
They will still be able to control tape over brake ducting on short tracks/road courses at least. It’s not much but it’s something.

That number is definitely a little high. Teams don't usually pay the inflated prices on race weekends like the fans do. There are companies like Racing circuit that the teams travel coordinator will use to start booking rooms as soon as the new race schedule comes out. The booking company will book such a large amount of rooms that they get a good enough rate for the teams that it is cost effective to hire them to book the rooms. We normally stayed in the Hilton, Marriot, Embassy suites, and a few of the other higher end hotels and our rates were usually between $100 to $150 a night per room. Also keep in mind that except at selected races where a crewmember might bring their family... that usually there will be 2 crewmembers per room.
The teams that belong to the owners group book the hotels through them. They get a large discount that way. Cant remember what the group is called....Maybe RTA?

I can't see why anybody would want to shut off the air to the brakes on those tracks :idunno:
I have no idea on the new car but with the existing one the right brake temp means a lot. I've heard several times of cars having brake shake because they were too cold

I can't see why anybody would want to shut off the air to the brakes on those tracks :idunno:
I’m not sure how much they do or don’t play with those right now but as @wi_racefan mentioned, I did hear Elliott mention cold brakes early on at Martinsville. As far as what they do with them on the new car, the bit about still being able to control those openings was mentioned by a Ford engineer during their media walkthrough yesterday.

I’m not sure how much they do or don’t play with those right now but as @wi_racefan mentioned, I did hear Elliott mention cold brakes early on at Martinsville. As far as what they do with them on the new car, the bit about still being able to control those openings was mentioned by a Ford engineer during their media walkthrough yesterday.
yeah I was thinking any blockage would have more importance for a gaining speed standpoint than lack of heat. Probably colder weather I would guess they would block them off.

670 HP should still be enough. What is disappointing is that they're apparently going to stay with 550 hp for intermediate tracks. The cars are still gonna be flat outside all the time.
That isn't what I read from Pockrass about the intermediates. He said because the car has more drag Nascar is looking at increasing the HP on the intermediates.

There's a few things that need to play out with this spec chassis that could get interesting.

Are they team specific or organization specific? If HMS had a fleet do they just run them thru or does the 5 team need to use a 5 team chassis?

Which leads to what is the allocation for a part time team? If Penske runs a 4th car for 6 races do they get to add a whole other teams chassis into the fleet?

What is the replacement/availability for new ones? Does nascar determine its junk and you can run over to the fab shop and pick up a new one later that day?

Are they going to age out? Say after its run "x" amount of races does it need to be recertified or can a team choose to replace it?

When you have teams preparing cars for other teams (like JGR for the 23 and RCR for the 7) who owns them and how do they need to disbursed? I mean JGR shouldn't be allowed to have more than 4 teams worth of equipment at the shop right?

There's a few things that need to play out with this spec chassis that could get interesting.

Are they team specific or organization specific? If HMS had a fleet do they just run them thru or does the 5 team need to use a 5 team chassis?

Which leads to what is the allocation for a part time team? If Penske runs a 4th car for 6 races do they get to add a whole other teams chassis into the fleet?

What is the replacement/availability for new ones? Does nascar determine its junk and you can run over to the fab shop and pick up a new one later that day?

Are they going to age out? Say after its run "x" amount of races does it need to be recertified or can a team choose to replace it?

When you have teams preparing cars for other teams (like JGR for the 23 and RCR for the 7) who owns them and how do they need to disbursed? I mean JGR shouldn't be allowed to have more than 4 teams worth of equipment at the shop right?

Here's something I've been wondering. With the lifted splitter, the radiator air ducts leading to hood vents, the flat underbody and the air diffuser on the rear. How much will all of that mitigate the effect of dirty air and allow for closer side by side racing?

Here's something I've been wondering. With the lifted splitter, the radiator air ducts leading to hood vents, the flat underbody and the air diffuser on the rear. How much will all of that mitigate the effect of dirty air and allow for closer side by side racing?
Nobody knows. All they have is simulators and enginerds telling them it's gonna work. It ain't gonna work on ovals. The tracks are the problem.

All intended to increase the speed of air flowing under the chassis which results in lower pressure / increased downforce with reduced turbulence flowing off the back of the car.

Not a perfect solution but an improvement over the current configuration.

Man, if the NextGen car actually looked like the Camaro behind her, it would be epic. Otherwise, good walkthrough.

I like Alex Bowman but that was the most useless feedback ever. "It's really different. It's a great looking car, obviously the car looks great. It's neat. It's just really different".

Tell us how much more communication there is through the new steering, tell us if the view out of the car is different now with the new greenhouse shape, tell us if your braking markers are significantly deeper down the straights at Martinsville now, I don't know, anything. Share some insight. Literally any one of us that's not even behind the wheel of this thing can say "yeah, it's different, it looks different and it's a different car".

I like Alex Bowman but that was the most useless feedback ever. "It's really different. It's a great looking car, obviously the car looks great. It's neat. It's just really different".

Tell us how much more communication there is through the new steering, tell us if the view out of the car is different now with the new greenhouse shape, tell us if your braking markers are significantly deeper down the straights at Martinsville now, I don't know, anything. Share some insight. Literally any one of us that's not even behind the wheel of this thing can say "yeah, it's different, it looks different and it's a different car".
Yeah of all people Austin Dillion gave a better review, but I think the best was Kurt Busch and I wish they would have had him as a driver/spokesman

I could really care less about what drivers say about the car.

1) usually when drivers don't like them the racing is better

2) we haven't had any significant multi car tests yet

3) we all know no driver will dare talk bad about the new car (we all know what happened in the past when that happened)

I could really care less about what drivers say about the car.

1) usually when drivers don't like them the racing is better

2) we haven't had any significant multi car tests yet

3) we all know no driver will dare talk bad about the new car (we all know what happened in the past when that happened)

Kyle probably will trash the car if enough time elapses. He doesn't need to drive the car.

Honestly, the car probably doesnt feel all that foreign to a professional stock car race car driver. NASCAR has to sell this car as radically new and different compared to the previous generation - but the reality is that save a handful of powertrain options and added accessories, it’s not that far off from the current car. Alex is prompted to sell it as “how exciting is this?!” and he’s just “yeah meh, it’s new and cool but it’s not too much to handle”.

The other angle is that Alex has only ran a numbing amount of solo laps at Martinsville with the car. Other than that experience, he has nothing else to gauge it off of.

First statement Kurt made is to say how different the car is. Over 10 minutes.

Honestly, the car probably doesnt feel all that foreign to a professional stock car race car driver. NASCAR has to sell this car as radically new and different compared to the previous generation - but the reality is that save a handful of powertrain options and added accessories, it’s not that far off from the current car. Alex is prompted to sell it as “how exciting is this?!” and he’s just “yeah meh, it’s new and cool but it’s not too much to handle”.

The other angle is that Alex has only ran a numbing amount of solo laps at Martinsville with the car. Other than that experience, he has nothing else to gauge it off of.
The car definitely has reasons to feel foreign to these guys compared to the gen 6. Just the pedal box alone, now with floor mount pedals instead of top mounted pedals is a different feeling. The front and rear bumpers are aluminum now which means the car has better mass centralization than the previous gen which gives a car more responsive handling due to changing the polar moment of intertia more favorably for direction changes. The new short track/road course brake rotors are 15". That's as large as the current wheels are. Huge difference there, and he drove it at the most braking intensive track on the tour, so I'd like to hear insight about that like have they basically eliminated brake fade. With indecent rear suspension now they can fully adjust rear camber and toe. That's *massive* for this sport, tell us if those adjustments are helping the car rotate on center or give better forward drive. These tires are wider and the compounds are softer too, that's big in all regards.

There's tons of changes at play here. Way more than "added accessories" (I don't even know what you mean by that). The car physically will behave very differently than the solid rear axle, recirculating ball steering having dinosaur they use now.

The car definitely has reasons to feel foreign to these guys compared to the gen 6. Just the pedal box alone, now with floor mount pedals instead of top mounted pedals is a different feeling. The front and rear bumpers are aluminum now which means the car has better mass centralization than the previous gen which gives a car more responsive handling due to changing the polar moment of intertia more favorably for direction changes. The new short track/road course brake rotors are 15". That's as large as the current wheels are. Huge difference there, and he drove it at the most braking intensive track on the tour, so I'd like to hear insight about that like have they basically eliminated brake fade. With indecent rear suspension now they can fully adjust rear camber and toe. That's *massive* for this sport, tell us if those adjustments are helping the car rotate on center or give better forward drive. These tires are wider and the compounds are softer too, that's big in all regards.

There's tons of changes at play here. Way more than "added accessories" (I don't even know what you mean by that). The car physically will behave very differently than the solid rear axle, recirculating ball steering having dinosaur they use now.
Did you catch the Chevy guy talking about the armor they have behind the front bumper and if that fails because of a much larger impact they can put a new front bumper on there pretty quickly. Composite body also. It's a huge difference. They get added downforce by keeping the car off the track instead of dragging ass.

Back
Top Bottom