'21 Generation 7 Car news

Games people play......

Maybe the rumors about the car not being safe wouldn’t have swirled if NASCAR was in closer communication with the drivers about the test, all of the documents where the safety details are in the back of the folder, not answering questions about the car in driver meetings, and letting teams have information on chassis before testing the cars.

The drivers don’t know if the car is safe or not and NASCAR isn’t answering questions.

Again.

“car is unsafe or not ready”

Industry leaders and insiders: Yes.
NASCAR white collar execs: No.

Amazing that NASCAR thinks they have solved the rumor problem and the insiders are still saying the same things.

I for one, am shocked.

Last edited:
Maybe the rumors about the car not being safe wouldn’t have swirled if NASCAR was in closer communication with the drivers about the test, all of the documents where the safety details are in the back of the folder, not answering questions about the car in driver meetings, and letting teams have information on chassis before testing the cars.

The drivers don’t know if the car is safe or not and NASCAR isn’t answering questions.

Again.

“car is unsafe or not ready”

Industry leaders and insiders: Yes.
NASCAR white collar execs: No.

Amazing that NASCAR thinks they have solved the rumor problem and the insiders are still saying the same things.

I for one, am shocked.
conspiracy theorists always have another conspiracy on top of the other one.

conspiracy theorists always have another conspiracy on top of the other one.
Labeling everything you disagree with as a conspiracy is idiotic, but the shoe fits.

There isn’t enough detailed data being givin to the drivers to show that the car is absolutely safe and ready for a 2022 release, even if it very well may be. The drivers spoke out about it along with not being involved in the Atlanta reconfiguration, and now everything a conspiracy theory and the NASCAR board members must be trusted on every front because they have never mismanaged anything ever.

Isn't the crash testing data under review by a third party?
It is, but that information wasn’t sent to the public or the drivers until the wildfire of rumors went ablaze. That’s the communication problem the drivers are addressing now.

It is, but that information wasn’t sent to the public or the drivers until the wildfire of rumors went ablaze. That’s the communication problem the drivers are addressing now.
How is it being addressed?

How is it being addressed?
By answering questions to the media on how the communication process is broken from NASCAR to the drivers / teams. If NASCAR had transparent communication to them, maybe there wouldn’t be so many miscommunications and differing opinions made with a lack of information.

The issue isn’t if NASCAR can build a safe car, I believe that everyone known they can. It’s their ability to keep their driver’s and team’s confidence in their product high. That confidence is low right now because nobody can get the specifics they ask for.

By answering questions to the media on how the communication process is broken from NASCAR to the drivers / teams. If NASCAR had transparent communication to them, maybe there wouldn’t be so many miscommunications and differing opinions made with a lack of information.

The issue isn’t if NASCAR can build a safe car, I believe that everyone known they can. It’s their ability to keep their driver’s and team’s confidence in their product high. That confidence is low right now because nobody can get the specifics they ask for.
once again, if you had read the memo or listened to the clip.

once again, if you had read the memo or listened to the clip.
You think that’s the holy grail water gun to put out a wild fire? You make Shaq look like an amateur point misser. Here, I’ll post it again.

Most other professional sports have a player's union / organization in place.

Maybe it would be easier to communicate with the drivers if they were speaking with one voice.

Most other professional sports have a player's union / organization in place.

Maybe it would be easier to communicate with the drivers if they were speaking with one voice.
Where is the RTA at in all of this? They are the driver’s union without being a driver’s union.

Where is the RTA at in all of this? They are the driver’s union without being a driver’s union.
There are no franchisees in the MLB Player's Association.

What is the RTA doing? Laughing out loud at Bob Leavine would be my guess. I could be wrong, naturally.

There are no franchisees in the MLB Player's Association.

What is the RTA doing? Laughing out loud at Bob Leavine would be my guess. I could be wrong, naturally.
The RTA was created to literally work with NASCAR in one voice. Communications are obviously only moving in one direction.

The RTA was created to literally work with NASCAR in one voice. Communications are obviously only moving in one direction.
You know ... I actually agree that input from the gladiators is a good thing.

Do the drivers speak with one voice? Check in with Chase Elliott.

Chase shows wisdom beyond his years.
Chase has all but said "they're (NASCAR) going to do what they want to do, we just need to suck it up and race." (when he was on Dale Jr. Download a couple years ago). The discussion has gone so far off the rails, I honestly don't know if this was snark at Chase or honest post.

Whatever side you take, these rumors and innuendos about the Next Gen car have been going on with team members and employees within the industry for a long while. NASCAR waiting this long for damage control and spin is a bad look. Freddie Kraft basically reiterated the same rumors I've heard from people I know employed by teams for a while now. (Crash tests "killing" dummies, cars won't be ready, etc.)

Chase has all but said "they're (NASCAR) going to do what they want to do, we just need to suck it up and race." (when he was on Dale Jr. Download a couple years ago). The discussion has gone so far off the rails, I honestly don't know if this was snark at Chase or honest post.

Whatever side you take, these rumors and innuendos about the Next Gen car have been going on with team members and employees within the industry for a long while. NASCAR waiting this long for damage control and spin is a bad look. Freddie Kraft basically reiterated the same rumors I've heard from people I know employed by teams for a while now. (Crash tests "killing" dummies, cars won't be ready, etc.)
I will wait patiently for the results of the third party review.

There was no information to share. Seriously are they supposed to update them about everything. Hey was measured this value in the crash test.....ok what does that mean?....we have no clue because we have look at the data as whole......ok thanks for the update!

I deal with this stuff all the time in my job. Tell the customer it'll take a few days to take all my measurements, then I must go through all the data and see how it looks.......3 hours later they stop over bugging you......How's it looking????

I think this is pretty interesting and a hell of a lot closer to the drivers wheel house than track or car building

Mind your P&Qs​

On the flip side of the driver disconnect at Atlanta, Joey Logano was among those involved as NASCAR held meetings last week on the return of weekly practice and qualifying sessions in the Cup Series next season.
With the NextGen car making its 2022 debut, it seems certain that every race weekend will feature prerace time on track. The discussions are over how much time is needed, whether separate sessions are needed and what format would work best for determining the starting lineup.
Among the proposals being floated:
–A hybrid practice/qualifying session.
–Using an average of multiple laps for qualifying (even on ovals).
–Relying on a pool of several backup cars (possibly supplied by each manufacturer) to avoid teams reverting to building and transporting their own (which eats up tremendous costs and time for cars that rarely hit the track).
While he declined to reveal any specifics, Logano said he has lobbied for standalone qualifying with a knockout element (“Other forms of motorsports, maybe the most entertaining part of the whole weekend is sometimes qualifying”). The Team Penske driver also believes the current 50-minute practice sessions implemented for the handful of tracks with qualifying this year will be insufficient with the NextGen.
“It’s all not going to happen as quickly as with 50 minutes now, we can get through it pretty quick,” he said. “We start somewhat close because we have history. There’s no history with this car. We don’t know which direction to fix it or change it. I think it’s got to be almost more or less a test day. Maybe not a practice at every track. But a test day where you can really take time to learn stuff and not go through a panic mode of 15 minutes of trying to make as many laps as possible and learn 10 things that you really didn’t learn anything. It’s all about longer test days that teams can do and take the data off the car.”

@ 1:58 Some of us try to be as factual as possible, others live for speculation and rumors. :idunno:

Ah I would say in my defense I only saw parts of this, didnt see the whole thing. But IMO there seems to be a disconnect somewhere with NASCAR and letting these teams/drivers know what the data is saying about these cars in terms of crashes. I put myself in these guys shoes if I drove one of these for a living, I would hope the sanctioning body I am racing for was open and honest, I think theres no harm in expecting that. Lets hope as alluded to above the third party review squashes this disconnect.

Harvick was miffed because at the briefing they waited until the last to get to the driver part...probably was missing his tee off time.
Here we go missing points again.

Driver safety is priority number 1 and Harvick was frustrated and confused as to why that part of the conversation was the last part to be discussed, and it had to be asked about by the drivers to even be included. Drivers don’t have any information, and the information they want is being pushed to the back burner. When Hamlin asked questions directly to the execs, he didn’t get an answer at all. That’s what they feel is the biggest problem, they are disconnected from all of the decisions going into the cars that they themselves are strapping in to.

Now that the drivers are speaking out about it, NASCAR is sending out memos and making their PR rounds on radio. It will all fix itself but it should never have taken the drivers being this outspoken to have a seat at the table.

Ah I would say in my defense I only saw parts of this, didnt see the whole thing. But IMO there seems to be a disconnect somewhere with NASCAR and letting these teams/drivers know what the data is saying about these cars in terms of crashes. I put myself in these guys shoes if I drove one of these for a living, I would hope the sanctioning body I am racing for was open and honest, I think theres no harm in expecting that. Lets hope as alluded to above the third party review squashes this disconnect.
seems to be a "disconnect" with a certain few. The same ones there is always a "disconnect" with

seems to be a "disconnect" with a certain few. The same ones there is always a "disconnect" with
are we talking drivers or our own bubble here? Because I was referring to the NASCAR bubble as a whole, I couldnt care what RacingForums.com thought about it in the grand scheme of things

Chase shows wisdom beyond his years.

Chase has indicated that he has a philosophical approach to it and he just shows up and does what he needs to do. Doesn't make him right, doesn't make him wrong. It works for HIM, it probably wouldn't work for ME. I think the drivers have every right to ask the questions, and I think they are entitled to the best available answers and not bull**** PR. In many cases in this world perception IS reality. If the drivers perceive that they are not in the loop, then they are not in the loop, and it really makes no difference at all how NASCAR sees it. You would think after almost 75 years, NASCAR would understand all of this a little better. They alone create 90% of the problems and bad PR that comes their way.

I think this is pretty interesting and a hell of a lot closer to the drivers wheel house than track or car building

Mind your P&Qs​

On the flip side of the driver disconnect at Atlanta, Joey Logano was among those involved as NASCAR held meetings last week on the return of weekly practice and qualifying sessions in the Cup Series next season.

Logano was among those involved in last week's meetings.

This appears to suggest some form of three-way communication among the sanctioning body, the RTA and the competitors.

Chase has all but said "they're (NASCAR) going to do what they want to do, we just need to suck it up and race."
This is Chase’s go to response when anyone asks him his opinion on anything above his racing duties. Keeps him out of trouble and focused.

is there any difference?
Yeah a huge one. I think the Industry as a whole if they are this spooked over the lack of data on something new coming out, if you were in these guys places wouldnt that upset you a bit? I know I sure would be. Maybe not be upset, that might be too strong of a word.... but I would defiently question" hey whats going on here? or ask "Whats the deal here?" I dont really care what posters here think, it doesnt have an affect on my affinity for watching racing each Sunday and I doubt NASCAR cares what we think either so saying that I am going on my own opinion and thought here. All this rumor and innuendo could be a potential stain on what should be a momentous and game changing moment for NASCAR introducing this new car. I know its lowered mine a bit, like my thought is "Holy $hit are they really going to bring out a car that has the potential to hurt, maim or kill someone?"

Back
Top Bottom