'21 Generation 7 Car news

Chase has indicated that he has a philosophical approach to it and he just shows up and does what he needs to do. Doesn't make him right, doesn't make him wrong. It works for HIM, it probably wouldn't work for ME. I think the drivers have every right to ask the questions, and I think they are entitled to the best available answers and not bull**** PR. In many cases in this world perception IS reality. If the drivers perceive that they are not in the loop, then they are not in the loop, and it really makes no difference at all how NASCAR sees it. You would think after almost 75 years, NASCAR would understand all of this a little better. They alone create 90% of the problems and bad PR that comes their way.
welp they wrote a memo and a clip about it. I don't see anybody jumping up and down except the ones that usually do..BTW who makes the safest car in auto racing...or which motorsports organization has the best safety record?
Logano was among those involved in last week's meetings.

This appears to suggest some form of three-way communication among the sanctioning body, the RTA and the competitors.
but Harvick, Hamlin and Busch weren't consulted

Drivers don’t have any information, and the information they want is being pushed to the back burner.
The drivers have all kinds of information.

The problem is the source(s) of said information. NASCAR will release the data. Patience is a virtue.

Don't ever forget that that safety record was written in blood, and none of that blood spilled out of anybody in NASCAR HQ. The other question I have is, why NOT consult Harvick, Hamlin and Busch? Despite the fact that in my opinion they are a hot head and two tools, they've earned the right to heard.

Don't ever forget that that safety record was written in blood, and none of that blood spilled out of anybody in NASCAR HQ. The other question I have is, why NOT consult Harvick, Hamlin and Busch? Despite the fact that in my opinion they are a hot head and two tools, they've earned the right to heard.
Thats a question I have too! Why cant drivers be consulted on this new car? Ryan Newman ( I know engineering degree) came up with an innovation that saved his life. What is lost asking these drivers about new cars and reconfiguring tracks? I cant figure out the "Shut Up and Drive" crowd here, not that I want to.... but me personally I would think using these 40 fellas is another resource while not using them 100% , is it bad to garner all ideas from all possible relevant outlets?

Yeah a huge one. I think the Industry as a whole if they are this spooked over the lack of data on something new coming out, if you were in these guys places wouldnt that upset you a bit? I know it sure would be. Maybe not be upset, that might be too strong of a word.... but I would defiently question" hey whats going on here? or ask "Whats the deal here?" I dont really care what posters here think, it doesnt have an affect on my affinity for watching racing each Sunday and I doubt NASCAR cares what we think either so saying that I am going on my own opinion and thought here. All this rumor and innuendo could be a potential stain on what should be a momentous and game changing moment for NASCAR introducing this new car. I know its lowered mine a bit, like my thought is "Holy $hit are they really going to bring out a car that has the potential to hurt, maim or kill someone?"
Spooks are going to believe what they believe. To think that the safest form of motorsports is somehow going to throw away years of safety innovations and design an unsafe car is a form of lunacy. Like Yeah lets design an unsafe car so a car can go into the stands and injure and main drivers and spectators (sorry flatfooters that is the reality in today's world)

Spooks are going to believe what they believe. To think that the safest form of motorsports is somehow going to throw away years of safety innovations and design an unsafe car is a form of lunacy. Like Yeah lets design an unsafe car so a car can go into the stands and injure and main drivers and spectators (sorry flatfooters that is the reality in today's world)
Fair enough. NASCAR has a great track record with safety and innovation.....until it doesnt anymore. Do I think this car is super unsafe and drivers will die, no of course not. But again if I were a driver myself I would hope those in charge of designing this car would look to keep that streak of safety going..... if that makes me a loon, death bedder, tin foil hat wearing guy then so be it. I look forward to seeing the 3rd party interpretation of data, maybe this will all be a big about nothing.

The drivers have all kinds of information.

The problem is the source(s) of said information.
Oh you mean like the organization leading the way of the car’s development? I’d hope they’d be the most transparent of every partner involved. As of yet, they aren’t on a multitude of issues drivers are concerned about.

I think some of the doom and gloom posts are off the mark. This car is probably what is needed, especially with IRS, transaxle and symmetrical design. The big hiccups will be in the supply chain but that's the case with literally any new vehicle, it'll get ironed out with time. If anything single sourcing should improve the quality of the parts as quality engineers will be able to troubleshoot easier. I think honestly a lot of those people getting laid off who built parts for the teams will be able to get QC jobs for the parts manufacturers as well.

It's telling many of you never worked in the automotive industry. As a whole it's very difficult and complex thing to produce, even more so with custom built high performance cars. That's why they pay so well, can't be a dummy to pull this stuff off. It'll all be figured out though guys

Bob Leavine's axe is sharp.

He's been grinding it for a year.
He was just responding to Shane’s tweet towards him, not sure why Bob is the target.

It was all “consider the source” until the source expanded to current drivers, crew members and other insiders saying the exact same things.

Not a single person worth mentioning has said “without a doubt this car is unsafe and not ready for 2022”, which is what the conversation is accused of being about. What has happened is that a lack of communication has created another PR nightmare for NASCAR and the drivers are speaking up about being sick of not being in the loop, which makes their own confidence in safety lower.

Drivers pushed for a meeting with the sanctioning body, and Kurt Busch personally met with NASCAR SVP of Innovation and Racing Development John Probst, who gave the 2004 champion a detailed report that ultimately concluded inconclusive.

"I didn’t expect that," Busch said. "I was expecting some results. I was expecting data that showed positive or negative as far as the crash-absorbing material and how the driver dummy reacted."

The data indicated that the car might have come in lighter and stiffer than it optimally needs to be, meaning that the driver could be susceptible to injury in high impact crashes without changes -- as cars are intentionally designed to break apart to dissipate impact.

"Ultimately, we haven’t gotten the results back, Hamlin said. "I guess there’s rumors that start from people that are kind of close to it and it doesn’t sound great, but again there’s no hard data. I would assume if things went fantastic, we would have heard about it pretty soon."

Some drivers have already expressed a heightened sense of concern about the safety elements of the car following an incident in March 2020 at Auto Club Speedway involving William Byron.

The G forces of Byron’s spin were on par with the tire failure impacts Denny Hamlin and Erik Jones endured during the 2020 Brickyard 400 -- although Byron was traveling at a fraction of the impact velocity of those two incidents.

Hamlin says the drivers have told NASCAR that no part of the Next Gen should be less safe than the current generation race -- that nothing should be compromised from a safety standpoint.

"Ultimately, we haven’t gotten the results back, Hamlin said. "I guess there’s rumors that start from people that are kind of close to it and it doesn’t sound great, but again there’s no hard data. I would assume if things went fantastic, we would have heard about it pretty soon."

Yeah, that’s exactly the problem. NASCAR isn’t giving out the data. Even when asked, they give out half assed data like they gave Kurt. It’s no wonder they have a PR issue about the car now. Especially after showing that the G results from Byron’s wreck were basically double what they should have been at his velocity. When they already have a bit of a failure, and nothing is released about the big test, drivers are right to worry. The only bit of hope is that the third party review comes back safer than the Gen 6 with the roof caving problem solved.

I don't understand why all the fuss about safety. ( OK maybe the drivers)
Nascar's biggest growth and the height of their popularity was during the time when practice killed many drivers. The most popular races are Daytona and Talladega which have the greatest odds of that happening.
Danger is what the majority of fans want and is why they watch.

Now remove the smug smile and re-read the LAST sentence of that quote. Dennis is no statesman, so that's as close as "read between the lines" as you'll get from him. THAT sentence is why we're all worried. If the data was good and all was well, NASCAR would have run out with that right away. I get your point and the truth is somewhere in the middle of these two extremes that have popped up on the board lately. That last sentence, while Dennis snark, holds a lot of truth in it.

Now remove the smug smile and re-read the LAST sentence of that quote. Dennis is no statesman, so that's as close as "read between the lines" as you'll get from him. THAT sentence is why we're all worried. If the data was good and all was well, NASCAR would have run out with that right away. I get your point and the truth is somewhere in the middle of these two extremes that have popped up on the board lately. That last sentence, while Dennis snark, holds a lot of truth in it.

This dude is on a mission to only hear or read what he wants to. What you said about the truth being in the middle is absolutely true. It’s entirely possible for the car to have bad or so-so safety tests, rumors to swirl, the car to be safer than what the rumors say, and the car be ready and safe by 2022.

Even Scott Miller admitted that results and process should have been communicated better, which in the end is all everyone is asking for.

I don't understand why all the fuss about safety. ( OK maybe the drivers)
Nascar's biggest growth and the height of their popularity was during the time when practice killed many drivers. The most popular races are Daytona and Talladega which have the greatest odds of that happening.
Danger is what the majority of fans want and is why they watch.
There are many factors that led to NASCAR's loss of popularity but I'm sure the increased safety measures are not one of them.

I always appreciate it when drivers are able to walk away from even the scariest wrecks.

If that’s what the majority want, I’m pleased to be in the minority.
I think the majority want to watch something exciting. If there are wrecks they want everybody to walk away. The threat of wrecks are a reality with the super speedway tracks and a pretty big draw. Could also be with the new Atlanta, but until they run a few races one can only make what they think is an educated guess. The car will be fine, stronger and safer than ever. They can't forget over 20 years of safety engineering and no fatalities nor can anybody afford to have one.

Cup teams should begin to receive delivery of Next Gen chassis this week​

NASCAR stated Monday that delivery of Next Gen chassis to Cup teams should begin at the end of this week.

The delivery follows an independent safety panel’s review of data from a June 30 crash test at Talladega Superspeedway.

NASCAR informed drivers that it was pleased with the panel’s assessment and will move forward with the building and delivery process of the Next Gen car, which will make its debut next season.

NASCAR had informed drivers July 4 that crash testing of a Next Gen car “indicates good and comparable performance” when compared to other right front crashes with non-Next Gen cars.

1626721554324.png

I wonder if teams ask for a results of the test if NASCAR would distribute them.

I read that they did numerous tests to different foams to find the best foam for the car. It has better performance that the Gen 6

“The panel consists of Dr. James Raddin, who took part in the investigation of the death of the late Dale Earnhardt; Dr. Jeff Crandall, who serves as an engineering consultant to the NFL; Dr. Barry Myers, a professor of biomedical engineering at Duke University; and Dr. Joel Stitzel, chair of biomedical engineering at Wake Forest Baptist Health.”

“The panel consists of Dr. James Raddin, who took part in the investigation of the death of the late Dale Earnhardt; Dr. Jeff Crandall, who serves as an engineering consultant to the NFL; Dr. Barry Myers, a professor of biomedical engineering at Duke University; and Dr. Joel Stitzel, chair of biomedical engineering at Wake Forest Baptist Health.”

Harvick said that the average fan doesn't know who Dale Earnhardt is, they weren't born yet.. I'm having a hard time wrapping my brain around that statement.

So the new chassis is assemble line built by robots and everything is computer controlled much like building trusses. "-)

Back
Top Bottom