'21 Generation 7 Car news

So we have a driver cell with two bolt on clips…does anyone know if they are designed to sheer off to disperse energy in big wrecks?
I can’t imagine so. The last thing the sport needs is an entire front and rear clip being thrown behind the catch fence.

They have added foam bumpers front and rear, that's new. They have moved the driver inboard and they have more foam in the sides than the last car and all the foam used is a new variety that has tested for impact better then the older version. It's plenty safe, more so than the 6 gen
I haven't seen the front bumper assembly. The rear DID look pretty cushy. Just surprised at the upper square tube sections. It's new. Of course it HAS to be wrong.

So we have a driver cell with two bolt on clips…does anyone know if they are designed to sheer off to disperse energy in big wrecks?
It doesn't look like it. The function of the removable bolt on clips is so teams can replace the front or rear instead of having to build a whole chassis. The car does have some pretty massive foam behind the front and rear bumpers.

This is a pretty thorough article from Car and Driver:

Previously, raw steel tubing would enter a race shop at one end, and a tube frame would exit the other. That is no longer the case. Michigan based Technique Inc. will provide all the frames, which now consist of a common center cage with bolt-on front and rear substructures. The idea here is that when an inevitable crash occurs, the bolt-on structures can be replaced rather than cutting up or throwing away an entire tube frame, and in turn, this should help reduce operating costs.

I haven't seen the front bumper assembly. The rear DID look pretty cushy. Just surprised at the upper square tube sections. It's new. Of course it HAS to be wrong.
There is a good picture of the foam installed at post #2630. Page 66

Next Gen in comparison to Gen 6
1628179614055.png
1628179691593.png

Gen 6
1628179757327.png

That is the best drawing I could find and it isn't that great or probably current. One view ISO view isn't enough

Was sarcasm. He's wrong. But he'll never admit it.
sorry bud but I have never thought of myself as mistake free mr. perfect so I don't get too upset about it when I do make mistakes. A simple no that's the rear shot would have sufficed without all of the drama

sorry bud but I have never thought of myself as mistake free mr. perfect so I don't get too upset about it when I do make mistakes. A simple no that's the rear shot would have sufficed without all of the drama
Was trying to be humorous. Turned out to be a bone in my arm...

Attachments

• so sorry.jpeg
    so sorry.jpeg
    55.6 KB · Views: 67
Well, people who've wished they would race production cars again have gotten their wish. :biggrin:

what's next crawfish, truck arms from the 60's, minuscule sized brakes, a solid rear end? Let's face it, the car is an antique, the next gen moves up to today's world and brings a backwoods series into one of the most advanced on the planet.
I agree with you on the first half of this, but you lost me in the second half. The next gen car does not bring NASCAR into "one of the most advanced on the planet" category. If anything they're just catching up to where it should have been 20 years ago.

I agree with you on the first half of this, but you lost me in the second half. The next gen car does not bring NASCAR into "one of the most advanced on the planet" category. If anything they're just catching up to where it should have been 20 years ago.
Well, lets see. The new next Gen is as or more advanced than Indycar, IMSA GT cars, all of the dirt cars, hmm what's left.

How are we defining 'advanced'?
I'll try this again

I can't speak for we. As it has been pointed out as my opinion, hopefully a good discussion topic. Most advanced criteria. I start with safety, move on to repairability, then versatility and I could write a paragraph on every one of those topics. I don't think the car is the very best in all of those catagories, but add up all of the plusses and I think the NexGen's total redesign is the most advanced race car. From short track bull rings to super speedways, stadium road races, to the COTA, pavement and dirt the car can do it all.

I'll try this again

I can't speak for we. As it has been pointed out as my opinion, hopefully a good discussion topic. Most advanced criteria. I start with safety, move on to repairability, then versatility and I could write a paragraph on every one of those topics. I don't think the car is the very best in all of those catagories, but add up all of the plusses and I think the NexGen's total redesign is the most advanced race car. From short track bull rings to super speedways, stadium road races, to the COTA, pavement and dirt the car can do it all.
Getting away from 15" steel wheels, truck arm rear suspension and using 5spd gear box, rack & pinion steering, coil over shocks, much easier to repair chassis are definitely a step forward. Actually a HUGE step forward for NASCAR. All of these things HAVE been around in other series for years. I'd agree with the thought NASCAR is just catching up with the times. I expect there to be some teething issues. Remember when they changed to the fuel cell mounted fuel pumps? Had several fail the drive cable. But they eventually got it figured-out. Don't remember is it required a redesign?

Getting away from 15" steel wheels, truck arm rear suspension and using 5spd gear box, rack & pinion steering, coil over shocks, much easier to repair chassis are definitely a step forward. Actually a HUGE step forward for NASCAR. All of these things HAVE been around in other series for years. I'd agree with the thought NASCAR is just catching up with the times. I expect there to be some teething issues. Remember when they changed to the fuel cell mounted fuel pumps? Had several fail the drive cable. But they eventually got it figured-out. Don't remember is it required a redesign?
I disagree in part with all of these things have been around for years. The part I disagree with is that "all of these things" haven't been utilized on the same car, and in addition, nobody period holds a candle to the safety aspects this car has.

Well, lets see. The new next Gen is as or more advanced than Indycar, IMSA GT cars, all of the dirt cars, hmm what's left.
How is it more advanced than all the racecars out there with carbon tubs, pushrod actuated dampers, very effective traction control and ABS at the limits of adhesion, lower center of gravity, active aero, forced induction powertrains that are more thermogenically efficient, hybrid systems, and carbon-ceramic brake discs?

NASCAR is very safe, I agree with that, but it terms of being "advanced" cars, they're still not. Just because we finally have aluminum wheels and independent rear suspension now does not mean the cars are advanced.

In terms of versatility, if what people are saying is true that this car is basically an IMSA GT3 car adapted for ovals, well then it isnt any more advanced than an IMSA GT3 car. The versatility part, since the cars are symmetrical now, is just coming from setup (alignment, weight ballast, wedge). You can setup even an F1 car for ovals if you gave it an asymmetrical setup to make it really good at left turns.

How is it more advanced than all the racecars out there with carbon tubs, pushrod actuated dampers, very effective traction control and ABS at the limits of adhesion, lower center of gravity, active aero, forced induction powertrains that are more thermogenically efficient, hybrid systems, and carbon-ceramic brake discs?

NASCAR is very safe, I agree with that, but it terms of being "advanced" cars, they're still not. Just because we finally have aluminum wheels and independent rear suspension now does not mean the cars are advanced.

In terms of versatility, if what people are saying is true that this car is basically an IMSA GT3 car adapted for ovals, well then it isnt any more advanced than an IMSA GT3 car. The versatility part, since the cars are symmetrical now, is just coming from setup (alignment, weight ballast, wedge). You can setup even an F1 car for ovals if you gave it an asymmetrical setup to make it really good at left turns.
My understanding of the term symmetrical refers to the body & it's mounting? No more twisted sisters like in the Truck Series.

And i agree with you 100%. Just got tired of SOI arguing the point. I hope he's just trolling.

Just because we finally have aluminum wheels and independent rear suspension now does not mean the cars are advanced.
Street performance cars are more advanced than even the NASCAR Next Gen. NASCAR is modifying their race car to catch up with current OEM standards which have already been in place for several years.

That’s not a slight to the Next Gen car and the work put in to modernize it, but it’s not like this car is forward thinking as far as newly invented technology that this car has sole proprietorship over. It’s just been modernized with technology that is already standard.

Street performance cars are more advanced than even the NASCAR Next Gen. NASCAR is modifying their race car to catch up with current OEM standards which have already been in place for several years.

That’s not a slight to the Next Gen car and the work put in to modernize it, but it’s not like this car is forward thinking as far as newly invented technology that this car has sole proprietorship over. It’s just been modernized with technology that is already standard.
3...2...1...SOI says...you are all wrong!

what's next crawfish, truck arms from the 60's, minuscule sized brakes, a solid rear end? Let's face it, the car is an antique, the next gen moves up to today's world and brings a backwoods series into one of the most advanced on the planet.
Here was the topic sentence. It was used in replying to the jackman who was generally saying if it ain't broke don't fix it. "most advanced" applies to the car and the racing series, not street cars although that is true to an extent. I am not naive to think compared to F-1 the Next Gen is more advanced in many areas BUT, for what the Next Gen is designed for, one could say the Next Gen is more advanced in what it can do in the areas of safety and versatility compared to any of the other racing series including F-1 AND that gives the Nascar racing fan more variety of venues to watch from super speedways to smaller short tracks, dirt or pavement.

Here was the topic sentence. It was used in replying to the jackman who was generally saying if it ain't broke don't fix it. "most advanced" applies to the car and the racing series, not street cars although that is true to an extent. I am not naive to think compared to F-1 the Next Gen is more advanced in many areas BUT, for what the Next Gen is designed for, one could say the Next Gen is more advanced in what it can do in the areas of safety and versatility compared to any of the other racing series including F-1 AND that gives the Nascar racing fan more variety of venues to watch from super speedways to smaller short tracks, dirt or pavement.
No.

Back
Top Bottom