'21 Generation 7 Car news

Racers are mostly interested in what benefits them personally, not what is good for anybody else. Fans are nothing but customers. When you ignore your customers, you don't stay in business very long.

Driver's have a direct interest in the sport succeeding and keeping the customers happy. The more fans the more sponsors the more money lining their pockets the longer they get to drive. Many instances when they give honest feedback to drawbacks on track. It all falls on deaf ears for the most part.

Possibly for the intial year or two since they'd probably have an advantage being a road racer and the normal guys would have little experience in the new car. After a year or two I don't see the advantage anymore

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
The short term effect is pretty much what I was trying to suggest. Up-and-comers get so much r/c experience nowadays in the relatively heavy X cars and Trucks, there's little advantage anymore for a non-regular in an unfamiliar car. Maybe some potential ringers will see this as their best chance to be competitive at the Roval (after the Indycar season has ended :)).

In this case, on any given race weekend, half the fans in the stands and watching at home are right. The other half are wrong.

They all reverse positions before the next race.

You must not spend much time on NASCAR forums.

The vast majority of NASCAR fans I know, including pretty much all the former ones I know have never spent one second on a NASCAR forum. We are a VERY small minority. The fans and former fans that I know have been pretty consistent in what they like and don't like. I think there are always times when fans have a difference of opinion, and perhaps sometimes their opinions are inconsistent. As consumers of a product that is 100% optional in their lives, they have a right to their opinion, even if it is stupid or inconsistent. As a supplier of this non-essential product, you either find a way to make your buyers happy or you go away.

Driver's have a direct interest in the sport succeeding and keeping the customers happy. The more fans the more sponsors the more money lining their pockets the longer they get to drive. Many instances when they give honest feedback to drawbacks on track. It all falls on deaf ears for the most part.

And that's why I stipulated a benevolent dictator. That means you don't ignore people who have something to say, it means is listen to their point of view and then sort through all of the BS and do what is right or what HAS to be done, whether they agree with it or not. Part of the reason we are where we are now is because the team owners were willing to spend like a drunken sailor as long as they thought they could gain an edge over their competitors, the good of the sport be damned. Now that things have turned around, they all cry poverty. If ANY of these guys would have used a little more self restraint 15-20 years ago, we wouldn't be where we are now. The race tracks ran away a LOT of business because they were greedy and weren't happy until they literally raped their customers. When NASCAR signed their first TV deal, they chased the money, not a deal that would have been a better fit for the sport. They all teamed up to kill the souvenir business because they got so greedy they killed the golden goose. I for one am not willing to take ANYTHING any of these people say strictly at face value.

I honestly don't know why people are getting hung up on the V8 going away. Name one mass produced sedan from Chevy, Ford or Toyota that still has a V8. I mean, my Toyota Tundra has a V8, but that's a truck.

I honestly don't know why people are getting hung up on the V8 going away. Name one mass produced sedan from Chevy, Ford or Toyota that still has a V8. I mean, my Toyota Tundra has a V8, but that's a truck.
Because some people can't live without complaining about stupid things.

Have you ever HEARD V6's racing? It sounds like a swarm of buzzing insects.
Yeah I prefer the sound of a V8, but in IMSA both the Ford GT had a 6 and the new Corvette switched from a V8 to a 6 and yeah it sounds like a trumpeting fart but it goes like hell.

As long as the changes produces closer racing and the leader not running away with it when the green flag drops, I'll be happy with it.

As long as the changes produces closer racing and the leader not running away with it when the green flag drops, I'll be happy with it.
It's a delicate balance IMO. Generally high speed and low downforce, close racing and passing suffers. Higher downforce and slower speeds and the cars are easier to drive. Somewhere between high and low there is a compromise that will piss everybody off. :D

It's a delicate balance IMO. Generally high speed and low downforce, close racing and passing suffers. Higher downforce and slower speeds and the cars are easier to drive. Somewhere between high and low there is a compromise that will piss everybody off. :D

Right. The biggest thing that was noticeable with those low downforce years was setup was everything. A team and driver would knock it out of the park and be dominant for a month or so. I mean Harvick/Busch/Truex we’re unbeatable in 2018 save the top Penske guys

Right. The biggest thing that was noticeable with those low downforce years was setup was everything. A team and driver would knock it out of the park and be dominant for a month or so. I mean Harvick/Busch/Truex we’re unbeatable in 2018 save the top Penske guys

yeah what I saw was more passing in the pack with the new package, the cameras had more racing to focus on instead of so much single file compared to the older package. I'm sure they are going to announce changes to the car for this year soon. I think the hood vents are a for sure, and the short track package should be interesting to see what they are going to try. I'm guessing it will be close to the pre COT version except for the hood vents which should make a big difference with close racing.

Because I have yet to hear a good reason why they should go away. The V8 isn't "outdated old technology" or whatever you guys are claiming. Sure, most street cars nowadays are boring crossovers focused on fuel economy, and that has absolutely nothing to do with racing. Maybe some of you would rather see the Equinox, Escape, and RAV4 in Cup?

Most of the performance cars are still running V8's. If you guys can list some actual benefits to developing a different engine instead of a traditional small block V8, go ahead, I'm listening. Simply stating "get with the times" does not apply.

u look at just about any stock car at any level of racing it probably has a v8 under the hood. theres a good reason for that. power and practicality. it makes no sense to consider a v6 or 4 cyl plus it would cost more

Couldn't have said it better myself :D

Build a race motor. Pick any level of racing, any realistic budget, and any vendors and parts suppliers you want. In most scenarios, you'll end up with a V8.

Sure, they could start building different blocks, different heads and intakes and supporting accessories and bolt-ons and whatever new designs to allow whatever different type of engine platform NASCAR wants. But why? What's the point? There's no performance benefit, and there's certainly no cost benefit.

Because I have yet to hear a good reason why they should go away. The V8 isn't "outdated old technology" or whatever you guys are claiming. Sure, most street cars nowadays are boring crossovers focused on fuel economy, and that has absolutely nothing to do with racing. Maybe some of you would rather see the Equinox, Escape, and RAV4 in Cup?

Most of the performance cars are still running V8's. If you guys can list some actual benefits to developing a different engine instead of a traditional small block V8, go ahead, I'm listening. Simply stating "get with the times" does not apply.

one solution I could see if an OEM wanted to get into the series and not spend tons on development would be the ability to buy an approved engine from an outside vendor. Nascar continues to reduce the number of engines teams use in the season so the expense isn't like it was a couple years ago.

That is because they didn't put any effort into the sound of the exhaust. I can hear some Honda 4 cyl in town sound more like a V8.
Meh. Even the Mustang EcoBoost with the performance package and active exhaust sounds wimpy. Nothing beats a rumbling V8 going by.

Although even the Mustang and Camaro V8s now don’t make much noise unless cold started or the pedal is being laid down.

That is because they didn't put any effort into the sound of the exhaust. I can hear some Honda 4 cyl in town sound more like a V8.

I don't know what Honda's you're listening to, but no ricer tuner car I have ever heard in my life sounds like a proper performance engine. It is just an acoustical fact of life that 8, 12 and 16 cylinder engines sound VASTLY better than 4, 6 or 10 cylinder engines. Chrysler had to go to considerable work to the Viper so that it didn't sound like somebody stepped on a duck. When I used to go to Grand Am races, even the Ford and BMW OHC V8's couldn't hold a candle to the glorious harmonies of the GM pushrod V8's in the Daytona Prototypes and the Stevenson Camaros.

If you guys can list some actual benefits to developing a different engine instead of a traditional small block V8, go ahead, I'm listening. Simply stating "get with the times" does not apply.

If going to a V6 turbo charged engine could help bring in Honda, Nissan, Dodge, or all three and more I'd be for it.

Although even the Mustang and Camaro V8s now don’t make much noise unless cold started or the pedal is being laid down.

Not sure about the Mustang, but the Camaro has an optional "dual mode" exhaust with valves in the mufflers that will drastically change the loudness of the exhaust with the push of a button. It sounds glorious. There's a HUGE difference between stealth and track mode.

If going to a V6 turbo charged engine could help bring in Honda, Nissan, Dodge, or all three and more I'd be for it.

I agree, but I haven't heard any evidence that it would. If that's truly the barrier preventing new manufacturers from joining, I'd be OK with whatever engine NASCAR decides to run as long as our current three manufacturers are OK with it.

Car no, but the 2020 Tundra pick up comes with a 5.7L V8

I think some Lexus models are still V8 and RWD, and they are basically just a Toyota with a different badge.

But, but, but,,,they ain't merican...

Dodge still is, kind of. But the manufacturer's country of origin is completely irrelevant in this discussion. Nice try though.

A7075D9D-8FD1-45E7-8856-4109BF517392.jpeg

Is this too much to ask for?

Some IMSA teams testing at Daytona today.

I would absolutely welcome Fiat to run their Charger in Cup. :)

Not sure about the Mustang, but the Camaro has an optional "dual mode" exhaust with valves in the mufflers that will drastically change the loudness of the exhaust with the push of a button. It sounds glorious. There's a HUGE difference between stealth and track mode.

I agree, but I haven't heard any evidence that it would. If that's truly the barrier preventing new manufacturers from joining, I'd be OK with whatever engine NASCAR decides to run as long as our current three manufacturers are OK with it.
Newer Mustangs also have this. There are paddle switches that change driving modes which activate exhaust note changes.

Not sure about the Mustang, but the Camaro has an optional "dual mode" exhaust with valves in the mufflers that will drastically change the loudness of the exhaust with the push of a button.
Newer Mustangs also have this. There are paddle switches that change driving modes which activate exhaust note changes.
Do these settings / switches do anything besides change the exhaust volume?

Meanwhile, at the back of the Current Gen pack ...

Back
Top Bottom