'21 Generation 7 Car news

Can you still get kerb feelers? I thought those went out with boomerang antennas, vinyl roofs, and a chrome bimbo hood ornament with glow-in-the-dark wings.

EDIT: Can I still say 'Pimpmobile' or will that get me stoned in the Court of Social Justice?
More than likely, you can.

This is important:

Look at this, you can get a run and move alongside one another a bit easier. I know it's only data collection with two cars, but from this alone this is looking positive.

This is important:

Look at this, you can get a run and move alongside one another a bit easier. I know it's only data collection with two cars, but from this alone this is looking positive.

Was he lifting to keep the side by side going, or was that the rev limiter before the first kink of the dogleg?

John Probst on future test plans
Next up for us is to bring the P3 car to Daytona (International Speedway) on December 15 and 16. It will be single car runs which will be important as we start to tune in the drag and power levels we’re going to need to run the speeds we want to run there.

Beyond that, we’re working on a tire test plan with Goodyear right now. That will likely have seven or eight tests for 2021. The OEMs are currently wrapping up the builds of their own vehicles and we will look to start Wheel Force Transducer (WFT) testing in March with all three cars on the track together.

— NASCAR —

Pretty good in depth article with Busch and Truex talking about the car. I didn't know one was powered by Chevy and the other a Ford.

I'm surprised the MFG would allow a non MFG guy to operate a car without their MFG engine? At least ONE of them was?

I'm surprised the MFG would allow a non MFG guy to operate a car without their MFG engine? At least ONE of them was?
now that you brought it up...lets put it to the R-F test. Could Truex be driving for Ford next year...with or without Pearn? Did Toyota refuse to supply a motor (a new secret one). Was Truex told it was a Toyota motor..he's alergic to Fords?

This is important:

32 second lap in a very early test car. Hopefully with the cars in full setup they will be far quicker than that.

now that you brought it up...lets put it to the R-F test. Could Truex be driving for Ford next year...with or without Pearn? Did Toyota refuse to supply a motor (a new secret one). Was Truex told it was a Toyota motor..he's alergic to Fords?
Not touching any of those...

With the sequential shift transmissions do they have paddle shifters on the steering wheel in these new cars or do they still have a stick?

Okay, this is where I geek out! This is my NASCAR sweet spot! Love the cars. Never thought I would hear that a car appeared built for a road course in NASCAR--not an oval, but I like it. Tire pressure sensors instead of inner liners make sense....we have that in road cars now. I never want to get too far ahead of myself and take any season or race for granted, but I am totally jacked for '22. I think this is going to be really good. Can't wait to see what they can do at Sonoma--given the technical nature of that track when this piece comes online.

Okay, this is where I geek out! This is my NASCAR sweet spot! Love the cars. Never thought I would hear that a car appeared built for a road course in NASCAR--not an oval, but I like it. Tire pressure sensors instead of inner liners make sense....we have that in road cars now. I never want to get too far ahead of myself and take any season or race for granted, but I am totally jacked for '22. I think this is going to be really good. Can't wait to see what they can do at Sonoma--given the technical nature of that track when this piece comes online.

I think the delay of the debut back to 22' is the best thing that possibly could have happened for the car, essentially forcing nascar into additional testing and fine tuning, with a large wide array of driver feedback on what works what doesn't. I still think single lug is a mistake (hoping they reverse course on that one), but am very excite for 22'.

I think the delay of the debut back to 22' is the best thing that possibly could have happened for the car, essentially forcing nascar into additional testing and fine tuning, with a large wide array of driver feedback on what works what doesn't. I still think single lug is a mistake (hoping they reverse course on that one), but am very excite for 22'.
Single lug nuts have been in use in racing for years so I don't see where it should be a problem. The weight of the cars is really the difference.

Single lug nuts have been in use in racing for years so I don't see where it should be a problem. The weight of the cars is really the difference.

Yeah, I just feel like it was a staple of differentiation between nascar and other forms of racing, so why go away from that? The time of the pit stop and then sound of the gun hitting 5. I thought that was a small bright spot both watching on TV and live attending.

Yeah, I just feel like it was a staple of differentiation between nascar and other forms of racing, so why go away from that? The time of the pit stop and then sound of the gun hitting 5. I thought that was a small bright spot both watching on TV and live attending.
I agree 100% and you could tell JGR had different guns from the others.
Nascar is all about cutting costs and that means cutting Jobs. I can see when it will be 3 men over the wall. Jackman and front /rear tire changers, carrying their own wheels and guns. One extra to service driver and windshield ONLY

I agree 100% and you could tell JGR had different guns from the others.
Nascar is all about cutting costs and that means cutting Jobs. I can see when it will be 3 men over the wall. Jackman and front /rear tire changers, carrying their own wheels and guns. One extra to service driver and windshield ONLY
Air jacks. Get out of the stone age.

Air jacks. Get out of the stone age.

Well, I've yet to see a street car with an air jack or single lug wheels (other than 60's era true knockoffs). If we are going to eliminate ALL the skill out doing pit stops, they might as well go back to the original truck series rules and just red flag the race. Then maybe we could have an octogenarian Leonard Wood back over the wall changing tires on the 21.

Well, I've yet to see a street car with an air jack or single lug wheels (other than 60's era true knockoffs). If we are going to eliminate ALL the skill out doing pit stops, they might as well go back to the original truck series rules and just red flag the race. Then maybe we could have an octogenarian Leonard Wood back over the wall changing tires on the 21.
Nobody's trying to eliminate pit stop skills. The goal is to hold the costs down.

I'm with @Team Penske - I don't know if an air system would stay sealed with all the beating and banging.

I'm with @Team Penske - I don't know if an air system would stay sealed with all the beating and banging.

I don't even think that would be an issue. Look at all the industrial applications that are subjected to way more heat, dirt and vibration. Making something last 500 miles shouldn't be an issue.

The issue is what are teams willing to sacrifice in terms of money and weight to make sure its reliable. I think teams are still building their own batteries, could you imagine what they'd do for an air jacking system? I guess it would work if nascar mandated one but I could see a lot of monkey business going on with it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I don't even think that would be an issue. Look at all the industrial applications that are subjected to way more heat, dirt and vibration. Making something last 500 miles shouldn't be an issue.
Heat, dirt, and vibration aren't the same thing as having the side of the car caved in so the system's compromised, or having the pneumatic fitting damaged so you can't connect the hose.

The issue is what are teams willing to sacrifice in terms of money and weight to make sure its reliable. I think teams are still building their own batteries, could you imagine what they'd do for an air jacking system? I guess it would work if nascar mandated one but I could see a lot of monkey business going on with it.

NASCAR teams have been running lithium batteries from companies like Braille, $1500-2000 a piece batteries that weigh 4-6 lbs

If that’s the case NASCAR should get away from the pushrod V8 and look at something more common place.

As my buddy shrek says “change is good donkey”

Heat, dirt, and vibration aren't the same thing as having the side of the car caved in so the system's compromised, or having the pneumatic fitting damaged so you can't connect the hose.
I still see this as no issue. Its low and you build a box around it and gusset it. When's the last time you heard of a car getting hit so hard that it broke off the jack post. With the damaged vehicle policy if its caved in enough that the jack wouldn't work they wont get it fixed in time to meet minimal speed.

I still see this as no issue. Its low and you build a box around it and gusset it. When's the last time you heard of a car getting hit so hard that it broke off the jack post. With the damaged vehicle policy if its caved in enough that the jack wouldn't work they wont get it fixed in time to meet minimal speed.

Back
Top Bottom