#24 Team Being Investigated For Tape Gate

I can't think of the last time someone was this dominant, at least in Cup. Keselowski was right to a point, I'm surprised NASCAR has let this continue. I love stage racing and had fun the first part of the season, but the Truex Show isn't interesting to me anymore.
Just think how boring that race would have been without the penalties to the 78 and 18 teams. They could have inverted the field at the end of each stage and made Truex start last each time and I'll bet he still would have won. Kyle spotted the field 2 laps and he was 1 yellow flag from being right back in it for the win.

When have they ever done that?

There's nothing special about these guys ... they found a little gizmo, used it and got pinched. On to Loudon.

The correct question is , "why DON'T they do that? Nah, they would just rather leave the public in the dark to mindlessly speculate about the facts of the situation. If NASCAR wants more respect, they should try more transparency. Until NASCAR can show me what was done, when it was done, and what effect it had, they haven't proven a damn thing to me. I've been through enough tech inspections to know how some of this BS works.

;) Much ado about something it appears, judging by the L1 penalty they just got spanked with!

NASCAR has the power to make nothing something anytime they want. Just because they say it is doesn't automatically make it gospel. Kurt Busch got suspended for two races based on the accusations of a crazy woman.

The correct question is , "why DON'T they do that? Nah, they would just rather leave the public in the dark to mindlessly speculate about the facts of the situation. If NASCAR wants more respect, they should try more transparency. Until NASCAR can show me what was done, when it was done, and what effect it had, they haven't proven a damn thing to me. I've been through enough tech inspections to know how some of this BS works.
Instructive.

I decide what is correct for me without assistance ... even from you. Your vast personal experiences notwithstanding, why do you think the rest of us are mindlessly speculating about this?

The HMS monkeys slapped something on the spoiler that wasn't supposed to be there. Not a big deal ... just a minor infraction punished appropriately. It's always more manly to get caught when you win. Maybe the siren will go off next week.

Were inspections for ARCA back markers this stringent when you were jacking them up?

Hows the weather up there on that high horse?

I like how the crew guy decided the best time to remove the tape was during Chase's interview. Bonus points for staring into the camera.
This is what amazed me. Such buffoonery. But if NASCAR knew about it all along like I've seen it suggested it doesn't really matter I guess.

Instructive.

I decide what is correct for me without assistance ... even from you. Your vast personal experiences notwithstanding, why do you think the rest of us are mindlessly speculating about this?

The HMS monkeys slapped something on the spoiler that wasn't supposed to be there. Not a big deal ... just a minor infraction punished appropriately. It's always more manly to get caught when you win. Maybe the siren will go off next week.

Were inspections for ARCA back markers this stringent when you were jacking them up?

Sorry, but I feel NASCAR has an obligation to be more clear about the nature of penalties. I thought the same thing when Hamlin and Lagano got popped at Darlington. I want to see a NASCAR rep on TV under a car on a hoist explaining what was illegal and why. I feel they owe it to the few of us suckers that still prop up this circus.

As for the ARCA inspections, if you were a top five runner, you got a pretty comprehensive inspection. Two ten, a LITTLE less stringent, beyond that, it was whatever they felt like and how much time they had. Sometimes they would do simple checks and let you roll. Sometimes you got the rectal exam. Sometimes they would suddenly "find" things they didn't like that been that way for months. Believe it not, one of the biggest hassles involved taking a restrictor plate car to a short track. The better the car I was working on, the more nerve wracking it was. The Truck Series was the same way. We put about ten miles on a truck at Nashville Superspeedway just pushing back and forth through the line just to get a sticker for practice one day. Of course, a lot of that truck was assembled in the garage area. My limit experience around Busch cars was about the same as the trucks.

I feel the hate, it is sweet, racing needs a little hate. Without no hate they aint no give a damn.
Without the hate, only Mr Rogers would be at the track.
When I was a kid a villian had a mystic, it can be a good thing.

Racing people are good people, they help charities, I think all children with special needs stops a driver in his tracks and makes him/her want to reach out and even want to be their make a wish. If it doesn't then please dont enlightening me, there are somethings. I dont want to know.

The Kyle Busch that I really was happy to see eat the asphalt when he tried the sucker punch... is also the man that donotes to charities. And he has been benevolent or whatever words fit for some older racers that time has passed by. He also has put young guns in good cars. Eric Jones beat him at the snowball derby and he had the class and statesmanship to give him an even greater opportunity.
His wife is hawt and makes my eyes happy. But I still want him to get beat, and I aint letting all that stuff stop my fun.

If granny wants to file her teeth down to be sharp enough to throw at Kyle after the race, just let her. She is like me and most others I think, powerless to hit the target. Just some harmless yada yada.

Enjoy the hate.

9db78db483715c2f63f430ae41dae281.jpg

Brad is right the 78 in particular has something. We know the history of martin truex, while I like the guy and think he is cool, he is not and has never been a 5-7 win a season guy.

With homestead being winner takes all, can a team get cucumbered out of the championship?

I think Truax has been the best driver this year with the exception of Indianapolis. And I think he deserves the respect.
I really dont root for him, but you dont run this well by being just above average.

Brad is right the 78 in particular has something. We know the history of martin truex, while I like the guy and think he is cool, he is not and has never been a 5-7 win a season guy.
What's your point?, this is not the first time this has happened with a driver and wont be last, look at Joey, he was utter crap at JGR, and look at him now.

He was mostly in junk before he got to FRR though. He struggled at FRR his first year, but ever since Cole Pearn took over as CC in 2015 they've been a dominant team.

What's your point?, this is not the first time this has happened with a driver and wont be last, look at Joey, he was utter crap at JGR, and look at him now.

People got this mindset that if you start to win when you wasn't winning much, it means you're a cheater for some reason. I guess by their logic that means we should assume that when people stop winning a lot they stopped cheating.

I seen it before not even with just winning, people start doing better "OH GOD THEY ARE CHEATING THEY NEVER BEEN THIS GOOD!!!"

People got this mindset that if you start to win when you wasn't winning much, it means you're a cheater for some reason. I guess by their logic that means we should assume that when people stop winning a lot they stopped cheating.

I seen it before not even with just winning, people start doing better "OH GOD THEY ARE CHEATING THEY NEVER BEEN THIS GOOD!!!"
My opinion is they are whining about it because he is driving one of those evil furrin Toyota's , and if FRR was still with Chevy, we wouldnt be wasting our time with this conversation, because so many people on this forum think that the only way Toyota teams can win is if they cheat.

( Yes, I know it doesnt help the MWR cheated a few times )

My opinion is they are whining about it because he is driving one of those evil furrin Toyota's , and if FRR was still with Chevy, we wouldnt be wasting our time with this conversation, because so many people on this forum think that the only way Toyota teams can win is if they cheat.

( Yes, I know it doesnt help the MWR cheated a few times )
I think a lot of it too is that GM has been so dominant for so long, that if somebody other than a Chevy team shows some dominance, it's assumed there's some treachery afoot. 34 of the last 41 championships have been won by GM teams, so I guess Chevy dominance is just accepted as the way it's supposed to be.

Every once in a while ........ a guy actually gets better with time !!! many pro bicycle racers don't reach their full potential until the mid to late 30s.
Martin may have some great equipment now but he is able to do something with it with great regularity ...... that's not an accident

With homestead being winner takes all, can a team get cucumbered out of the championship?

I sure as hell hope so

First I'd like to say this work is none of my own, credit goes to poster(s) on r/nascar subreddit.
Chase Elliott's #24 car's spoiler was modified with tape pre-race and demodified post-race. Supposedly this super sticky tape added ~40 lbs of downforce and improve laptimes by .2 second/lap.

7Y20MhL.jpg

Modification being removed post race:

That little video is just plain disgusting ...... I cannot think of any other way to describe it

This thread would be a whole helluva lot more fun if it were the #18 car. ;)

But it isn't ......... this little performance was put on by the chosen ones crew

Not harsh enough.

NASCAR is continuing the presedence that cheating won't get you banned for a couple of races which would be the right thing to do. So drivers will continue to cheat and suffer minor fines.
You think the driver put the tape on? Lets get real here, the crews are cheating and the blame goes to the CC, not the driver.

So is there a rule that you can't put tape on the spoiler in that manner? Has this happened before? Usually something like this CREATES a rule against it.

So is there a rule that you can't put tape on the spoiler in that manner? Has this happened before? Usually something like this CREATES a rule against it.

Those little fellers knew exactly what they were after in that disgusting little video ....... they knew it was there and knew it must be removed.
I only wish he had won and then had the win yanked from underneath him. All the bull crap about the Toyota guys and the 78 appears to have been legal

Why is that? That's like saying Jeff was never a champion, teams hit on something that works, a crew chief they have awesome chemistry with, Gordon and Evernham, JJ and Knaus, it happens. The 78 team has been stout for two years, you can't tell me that Nascar isn't giving their cars more than the once over. If they are cheating, the are doing a damn good job of hiding it.

It's obvious that Nascar is giving Toyota an aero advantage by allowing them to use a more air friendly rear spoiler tape.

Clever teams trying clever things and NASCAR figuring it out - a normal day in racing. Some think when a car dominates they must be cheating. But there is another possibility, the dominate team figured out how to set their car up for their driver better than anyone else.

Damn I didn't even think about the fact that the car went to R&D after the race.

Guess we'll know in 3 weeks at Charlotte how much they benefitted from whatever they did.

.....and while all eyes were on the legal Toyotas......Let me guess.....they had to try something because the Toyotas were so dominant. A noble effort.

Back
Top Bottom