78 FRR is done

Jones reminds me a lot of Matt Kenseth. Heck of a wheel man, just not the guys that are going to be bringing in tons of sponsorship dollars because they're just not that personality that sponsors love.

I like Erik Jones. I’ve never understand the disdain for that kid. Other than he drove Kyle’s trucks and is now JGR/TRD.

He's kind of funny looking but the kid can drive. I nothing against him except what he drives and who he does it for.

I don't have a problem with a team poaching a driver, or with a driver switching teams.

I don't have a problem with a team beating another competitively to the point where the losing team can no longer afford to operate.

I do have a problem with a team raising the rates on its services with the apparent goal of driving a winning competitor out of business so it can collect the pieces. I don't get why anyone would partner with JGR after this, or why anyone would sign on with a manufacturer who abandons a championship team.

I don't have a problem with a team poaching a driver, or with a driver switching teams.

I don't have a problem with a team beating another competitively to the point where the losing team can no longer afford to operate.

I do have a problem with a team raising the rates on its services with the apparent goal of driving a winning competitor out of business so it can collect the pieces. I don't get why anyone would partner with JGR after this, or why anyone would sign on with a manufacturer who abandons a championship team.
welp I hear ya, time will tell. I'm not sure he will be able to offer anything without Toyota's approval. They pretty much run the show with their business model, kinda like a McDonnel's franchise.

Well said, Charlie. As much as I hate "I told ya so," and I hate that pretty strongly, I'd absolutely forgive Jack Roush for saying... "I told ya so."

for some everything is a setback. It was a struggling one car team until a year and a half ago. He got a title, more than many one car teams with a small budget.
Only other ones I believe were Kulwicki and Elliot in the last thirty years or so.

Well said, Charlie. As much as I hate "I told ya so," and I hate that pretty strongly, I'd absolutely forgive Jack Roush for saying... "I told ya so."
I was pondering last night why JGR would send Suarez to Leavine Family racing instead of to FRR. Think I've got my answer.

After listening to this audio from TRD spoke person David Wilson, then why could they not help FRR to keep the doors open? Going to add more team(s) at some point in time.

yeah kinda hard to build a stock car with the hood roof and trunk lid and nothing else stock
Believe the 80's and 90's Thunderbird retained most of their bodies based on stock components. They messaged the front fenders and rear quarter panels, but the door panels were completely stock skins...One of the reason's Alan stuck with the Underbird is because he could use quite a bit of the standard components and the basic aero was already accomplished by Ford on the stock Tbird. At least that is what he told me at the time..

Reading between the lines, JGR did strong-arm FRR because they were successful. Sorry, case of sour grapes.

Toyota and JGR just gave the big MIDDLE FINGER to Barney Visser and FRR.

If Arriss and Suarez are smart they would tell Toyota to shove it. They should take their money to the 41 or Penske to start a fourth team or even FRR with a new manufacturer alliance.
Why go to Leavine racing and have Toyota say we are going to help make it a strong team when they just had a championship winning team they left die.
Wake up Suarez, Toyota doesn't care.
Bell move to Ford or Chevy.
JGR SUCKS!!!
Toyota doesn’t fund race teams or race cars.
JGR and all other top tier race teams wouldn’t exist without sponsors.

Toyota doesn’t fund race teams or race cars.
JGR and all other top tier race teams wouldn’t exist without sponsors.

Correction. They don't make a HABIT of doing it, but Toyota has and could do it if they chose to do so. It's also quite possible they could have leveraged one of their suppliers or other business partners to see FRR through 2019. It's not like they would have to pick up the ENTIRE budget.

I think to be fair, for the most part the sport is pay to play, and Varney simply wasn't willing to go back to that. Gibbs and MTJ kinda drove the last nail into the coffin, but the team wasn't set up for long term success. Just look at the SHR/HMS relationship as an example of a satellite outperforming the "parent" organization. SHR knew it wasn't a sustainable relationship and spent the money to go independent. I'm sure they wouldn't have been able to do that on sponsorship money alone without the backing of Gene Haas. And so FRR is no longer here because the owner was no longer willing to support the team financially through another rough patch.

It's kinda funny how a while ago some here were suggesting FRR could offer MTJ a take it or leave it salary and he would have to take it since there would be nowhere else to go. Guess not

Nobody here knows the financial details that led up to this. Nobody wants to lose money.
A business decision was made.

There's a lot of gnashing of teeth in the NASCAR journalism world, which rightly so for the defending championship and current contending team disappearing, but if this situation is aided by Gibbs and Toyota aiming to get the team to disappear, which has the end effect of strengthening Gibbs' driver lineup on what is really now the only Toyota team on the grid:

1.) the reporters writing about this are not talking about the Gibbs influence on this at all
2.) if I was NASCAR, I'd be kind of upset with Gibbs and Toyota that the entire series is getting all this negative publicity, which is not going to help other teams land sponsors, as an effect of Gibbs helping to strongarm Visser out of the sport and add Truex to their driver lineup

Gibbs replaced a guy who’s 20th in points in great equipment with the defending Cup champ and Cole Pearn. If a team you guys liked did it you’d be doing jumping jacks and fist pumping. Get over it

i think suarez worked hard to get here just to be dumped my gibbs,just like carl and matt.i dont know what to make of martin and cole going to jgr,maybe they can watch each others BACK .i hope suarez can find a good ride,BELL ARE YOU WATCHING THIS.GET OUT NOW.RUN!!!!!!!!!

After listening to this audio from TRD spoke person David Wilson, then why could they not help FRR to keep the doors open? Going to add more team(s) at some point in time.

That reeks of $hit. Holy cow what a weasel organization. TRD and The Preacher are meant for each other, I will be actively rooting for them to go the way of Dodge from this point forward. And if you're a struggling team out there looking for support why on earth would you get in bed with TRD and The Preacher?
Nobody here knows the financial details that led up to this. Nobody wants to lose money.
A business decision was made.
I agree with this 100%. 1000%. But that to me IMO doesnt make it any less slimy.
Gibbs replaced a guy who’s 20th in points in great equipment with the defending Cup champ and Cole Pearn. If a team you guys liked did it you’d be doing jumping jacks and fist pumping. Get over it
Well I can only speak for myself as a HMS fan when Rick wacked KDB for Jr, that felt a bit slimy. Remember "Theres no Room at the Inn." then a few years later they go and do the same thing to Mark Martin for Kasey Kahne. I felt slimy in both instances.

Last years champ, in third place right now and can't get sponsors.

And I thought it was bad last year, when Roush closed Bubba's Xfinity team mid-season when Bubba was #4 in the driver standings. :oops: This is way worse than that.

I agree with this 100%. 1000%. But that to me IMO doesnt make it any less slimy.
I don’t see how it’s slimy at all.
How much money was coming out of Visser’s pocket and going out the tailpipe of the 78?
How much financial assistance, if any, did Toyota offer?
What sponsors were lined up and what were the final negative numbers?
None of us know any these answers but we’re certain something shady happened?
What if it were a Chevy team closing it’s doors. Let’s say CGR closed up next year...where would you want Larson to go?

How much money was coming out of Visser’s pocket and going out the tailpipe of the 78?
What if it were a Chevy team closing it’s doors. Let’s say CGR closed up next year...where you you want Larson to go?
I have to agree. When the driver doesn't bring the sponsor dollars and the can't find a new one, that's pretty much it. It's simply a math problem.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I've had the same seats for 25 years (Paddock Box) and the price has been $92.00 for as long as I can remember. They started out at $55.00 in 1994. With the ticket fees and the infield parking pass, I paid $324.00 for three tickets. If those tickets were say $60 each, I probably could have gotten 6-10 people to go.
You havent counted for inflation

Well I can only speak for myself as a HMS fan when Rick wacked KDB for Jr, that felt a bit slimy. Remember "Theres no Room at the Inn." then a few years later they go and do the same thing to Mark Martin for Kasey Kahne. I felt slimy in both instances.

I don't know why you would feel slimy in either case. Kyle's contract was up at the end of the season, and Rick chose not to pick up the option on the contract, and he did it in June, giving Kyle plenty of time to land on his feet, which he did in spades. As for Mark, that was a year to year deal, and Mark knew he was at the end of the road as a full time driver, and Mark is the one that brought Kahne to HMS. I thought it was a brilliant move at the time. Sadly, it didn't work out so good.

What if it were a Chevy team closing it’s doors. Let’s say CGR closed up next year...where would you want Larson to go?

I'm basing this on what we think we know, that Visser agreed to foot the bill for the team for 2019 even with the lack of sponsorship and the jacked up fees from JGR. If that is in fact true, then Truex bailing to go to the guy partially responsible for putting the financial crunch on FRR, especially if he did it behind Visser's back is just plain slimy, no matter how you slice it. If 2019 had played out, and FRR still didn't have solid backing in place, then I wouldn't have such a problem with this, and chances are, Visser would have told him to go look for work. That 19 seat likely wasn't going anywhere anyway. Unless Suarez improved dramatically in 2019, Preacher Joe could still show him the door and bring in Martin for 2020. If any of the information we think we know is not correct, I reserve the right to adjust my stance, but so far I haven't seen anybody from the Truex/JGR camp try to justify or explain what happened, so until I hear otherwise, I'll assume that the deal is as slimy as it appears.

Back
Top Bottom