All-Star race experimentation receives mostly high marks

Sense isn't their specialty

Gotta be honest, NASCAR's reaction to all of this has me nervous. I have read a few engineers saying that once they get their hands on this, they will all be back in the same place. You keep doing this ****, you will drive this sport into the ground IMO.

Looks like a lot of people are reading in to this what they want and are pontificating something that may never happen.

Gotta be honest, NASCAR's reaction to all of this has me nervous. I have read a few engineers saying that once they get their hands on this, they will all be back in the same place. You keep doing this sh!t, you will drive this sport into the ground IMO.
Ask these engineers how come they havent figured out Daytona and Talladega in 31 years.

The only thing more comical I guess is the grandstands these days...

“They’ll learn to like it...”

Looks like a lot of people are reading in to this what they want and are pontificating something that may never happen.
No it’s going to happen! Steve O’Donnell said it on NASCAR channel on Sirius xm, I heard him say it

No it’s going to happen! Steve O’Donnell said it on NASCAR channel on Sirius xm, I heard him say it
Im talking about what they are gonna run, their might be changes to what they ran in the ASR but yet people are losing sleep over it.

Im talking about what they are gonna run, their might be changes to what they ran in the ASR but yet people are losing sleep over it.
Loosing sleep because the packaged sucked that’s why... nobody wants to see that slow stuff.. with that package you really can’t pass the leader .. it was some passing mid pack but nothing for Lead.. going 160 lol.. what a joke

Loosing sleep because the packaged sucked that’s why... nobody wants to see that slow stuff.. with that package you really can’t pass the leader .. it was some passing mid pack but nothing for Lead.. going 160 lol.. what a joke
Race was great. Look forward to it being used again.

I'll reserve my bitching to when this package or a form of it actually becomes reality. Until then I'm going to enjoy the racing we have each week.

Race was great. Look forward to it being used again.
I like posting with you and find you quite intelligent, I've learned about racing from actually reading your posts and you have been/are actually in the business. Saying that, I disagree would you at least consider IF they do go to this package it is nothing more than a gimmick to band aid the aero problems the cars have in traffic and lack of passing? I just feel that a restrictor plate on a 1.5 takes the skill away from the driver, wont we just have mini Dega's and Daytona's? Thats what I am afraid of happening, maybe I am so wrong though.

Some people liked the package (sorry, can't think of a better term) and were so exuberant about a single exhibition event that they advocated for its immediate use elsewhere.

Other people did not like the style of racing it produces, and either advocate for staying the current course or suggest different adjustments.

One of these groups has been said to be "losing sleep" and overreacting.

I like posting with you and find you quite intelligent, I've learned about racing from actually reading your posts and you have been/are actually in the business. Saying that, I disagree would you at least consider IF they do go to this package it is nothing more than a gimmick to band aid the aero problems the cars have in traffic and lack of passing? I just feel that a restrictor plate on a 1.5 takes the skill away from the driver, wont we just have mini Dega's and Daytona's? Thats what I am afraid of happening, maybe I am so wrong though.
Appreciate that and I will say that skill is still 100% involved in a package like they used in the ASR. You are still moving 170 + mph feet off of someones bumper. After a few laps the tires start to wear and you were no longer flat out so handling and driver skill came in to play. The pack racing like we have at Daytona and Talladega wont materialize imo. Those tracks are so big you never really bind the car up and the draft is much more critical .Charlotte and tracks like it have Tighter corners and tire fall off wont really allow it. I would keep the ducts the same, the blade the same and give them a little more opening on the plate and let it rock. JMO

Some people liked the package (sorry, can't think of a better term) and were so exuberant about a single exhibition event that they advocated for its immediate use elsewhere.

Other people did not like the style of racing it produces, and either advocate for staying the current course or suggest different adjustments.

One of these groups has been said to be "losing sleep" and overreacting.
Just to be clear they are "losing sleep" over something that hasnt been announced yet is what Im talking about. Odonnel said they may run it but no one knows what "it" is.

Appreciate that and I will say that skill is still 100% involved in a package like they used in the ASR. You are still moving 170 + mph feet off of someones bumper. After a few laps the tires start to wear and you were no longer flat out so handling and driver skill came in to play. The pack racing like we have at Daytona and Talladega wont materialize imo. Those tracks are so big you never really bind the car up and the draft is much more critical .Charlotte and tracks like it have Tighter corners and tire fall off wont really allow it. I would keep the ducts the same, the blade the same and give them a little more opening on the plate and let it rock. JMO
I really would like to see this package tried without the plate at all. I think it would be better than what we have now, and the plate haters couldn't cry over that either.

Let me also add that aero and passing have been an issue since 2 cars were on the track. The bottom line is the car in front of you will always have an effect on the nose of your car they just know more about it now and aero push became a buzz word.

The 600 had the 3rd place car running over 10 seconds back, sometimes 14 seconds. When it was talked about all of passing in the pack in the 600?? The reason was because they couldn't show the leader and get second place in the shot. 3rd place was over on the other straight. If they did try to focus on the leader for very long, most fans head would explode it was so lopsided. It would be terrible TV. They have real time data now that shows how much interactions on social media are happening. Nobody wants to see the slow stuff?? Fan poles voted the 600 down on the lower end of the scale and the All Star up at the top. Tenth place was 1.5 seconds back in the All Star, not 14 seconds, it wasn't hard for the cameras to show the leader..or the pack.

The 600 had the 3rd place car running over 10 seconds back, sometimes 14 seconds. When it was talked about all of passing in the pack in the 600?? The reason was because they couldn't show the leader and get second place in the shot. 3rd place was over on the other straight. If they did try to focus on the leader for very long, most fans head would explode it was so lopsided. It would be terrible TV. They have real time data now that shows how much interactions on social media are happening. Nobody wants to see the slow stuff?? Fan poles voted the 600 down on the lower end of the scale and the All Star up at the top. Tenth place was 1.5 seconds back in the All Star, not 14 seconds, it wasn't hard for the cameras to show the leader..or the pack.

Yeah, and so much better than the cars performing like Scion TC’s in the Toyota Celebrity Race.

Here is a review of the 2017 race for comparison. Typical Charlotte
"As it cooled off, it seemed like the discrepancy just got smaller and smaller and the groove didn't open up very much.
2017 All-Star Race at Charlotte earns an A for effort, D- for results
CONCORD, N.C. -- On the 25th anniversary of an incredible evening of racing dubbed "One Hot Night," NASCAR tried to do something to rekindle the dramatics for its all-star event.
It didn't get it. The 2017 version of the Monster Energy All-Star Race will go down in history as "One Hot Blight."

The goal was to have teams choosing to use that soft set at a variety of times, creating more passing and dramatics.
Instead, NASCAR got a 70-lap, all-star dull-fest that had no lead changes on the track except in the first couple of laps at the start of the third 20-lap stage that was more about who had the freshest tires, and a bold move to open the final 10-lap, 10-driver shootout.
Larson and Busch knew after the first lap of the final stage that without another caution, Busch would win.
Even a somewhat fake tire test Thursday with Michael Waltrip driving a racing-school car that produced (surprise!) great reviews proved to be a sorry predictor for what would unravel Saturday night.

http://www.espn.com/racing/nascar/s...wins-first-cup-event-charlotte-motor-speedway

Ask these engineers how come they havent figured out Daytona and Talladega in 31 years.
Tough to figure out with all the constraints that keep changing. Everytime they do (tandem, for example), NASCAR makes more exceptions to the exceptions.

Ask NASCAR why Daytona and Talladega have to be figured out. Better yet, ask ISC.

Tough to figure out with all the constraints that keep changing. Everytime they do (tandem, for example), NASCAR makes more exceptions to the exceptions.

Ask NASCAR why Daytona and Talladega have to be figured out. Better yet, ask ISC.
NASCAR or ISC doesnt need to figure it out.

The more equal the cars are, the more driver talent wins out above all else. That's why Harvick won the ASR. That's why only the best of the best ever win at Daytona and Talladega.

The more equal the cars are, the more driver talent wins out above all else. That's why Harvick won the ASR. That's why only the best of the best ever win at Daytona and Talladega.
The best of the best win at these two tracks huh, how do explain Dillon winning then doing crappy rest of season so far? There are a lot of first time winners on plate tracks, it's a crap shoot, more often than not it's luck not talent that wins out.

Experimenting with All-Star aero package at other tracks worth a shot
NASCAR used an experimental aero and rules package during this year's All-Star Race as part of a bold move to increase passing among the cars, create tighter racing and drum up the entertainment value for fans. And lo and behold, the governing body appears to have achieved success, as green-lap passes increased and that race ranked as one of the best of the year thus far.

Our ESPN.com experts weigh in on whether it's a good idea for NASCAR to move forward on installing the package at other tracks.

http://www.espn.com/racing/nascar/s...-racetracks-such-michigan-pocono-indianapolis

Oh yeah. Woulda been great

the package would have had to work hard at it to be worse if they ran it in the 600. Fan poles have the 600 way down the scale. At least with the 4 stages they wouldn't have been single file in a couple of laps, second 3 seconds back and increasing and third 6 seconds back and doing the same thing on the way to a half a lap behind. They had nothing to lose and almost everything to gain.

the package would have had to work hard at it to be worse if they ran it in the 600. Fan poles have the 600 way down the scale. At least with the 4 stages they wouldn't have been single file in a couple of laps, second 3 seconds back and increasing and third 6 seconds back and doing the same thing on the way to a half a lap behind. They had nothing to lose and almost everything to gain.
Ever wonder what it would be like if they completely eliminated all aero configurations that did not come from the factory? Tires hanging in the air...no chin spoiler...no rear spoiler...I'd love to see it.

not me not at 200 + MPH.
Even better yet...

Personally believe that the risk of danger pushing a mechanical object to the limits to beat someone else doing the same thing is what racing is all about.

Back
Top Bottom