All-Star race experimentation receives mostly high marks

Here's the sign
STEVE O’DONNELL: I would say it’s fairly simple when you think about all that. I think the team owners, the tracks and everyone would say the same thing. If Marcus Smith’s phone is ringing, I got to get to that race, I haven’t been in a while, that’s a good sign. If NBC and FOX are calling saying that business is good, ratings are good, that’s a good sign. If you’re seeing more sponsorship inquiries to the race teams, that’s a good sign. That all comes from race fans speaking up.

If this is something the fans liked, hopefully we’ll hear that. We’d continue in that direction. But that’s ultimately how you dial in. If it’s 36 different packages or if it’s three, you want to end up on the right one.

We believe we can keep it simple with the number of race packages we put together. We want to be as efficient as possible. Ultimately it’s about the fans and putting on the best race we can.

https://nascar.nbcsports.com/2018/05/20/transcript-what-nascar-said-about-the-all-star-race/

Here's the sign
STEVE O’DONNELL: I would say it’s fairly simple when you think about all that. I think the team owners, the tracks and everyone would say the same thing. If Marcus Smith’s phone is ringing, I got to get to that race, I haven’t been in a while, that’s a good sign. If NBC and FOX are calling saying that business is good, ratings are good, that’s a good sign. If you’re seeing more sponsorship inquiries to the race teams, that’s a good sign. That all comes from race fans speaking up.

If this is something the fans liked, hopefully we’ll hear that. We’d continue in that direction. But that’s ultimately how you dial in. If it’s 36 different packages or if it’s three, you want to end up on the right one.

We believe we can keep it simple with the number of race packages we put together. We want to be as efficient as possible. Ultimately it’s about the fans and putting on the best race we can.

https://nascar.nbcsports.com/2018/05/20/transcript-what-nascar-said-about-the-all-star-race/

The ratings are up? If the ratings were up they woudn’t want to govern the cars to make NASCAR akin to K1 Speed indoor go karting.

The all star race was one race, there was no substantial ratings increase.. The fans have been loud about it, they like it. The majority of teams and drivers are ‘meh’ at best.

The ****tiest part, as it usually is, is the media and NASCAR adopting their favorite new experiment as the greatest **** since power windows and shoving it down everyone’s throat.

They will science this out, and regret responding to social media. Continue on this path, and we will have to turn this into an Indy Car forum.

The ratings are up? If the ratings were up they woudn’t want to govern the cars to make NASCAR akin to K1 Speed indoor go karting.

The all star race was one race, there was no substantial ratings increase.. The fans have been loud about it, they like it. The majority of teams and drivers are ‘meh’ at best.

The ****tiest part, as it usually is, is the media and NASCAR adopting their favorite new experiment as the greatest sh!t since power windows and shoving it down everyone’s throat.
musta happened ya think. :D Nascar waterboarding their fans oh the horror of it all.

musta happened ya think. :D Nascar waterboarding their fans oh the horror of it all.

So let me get this straight. NASCAR and motorsports as a whole are doing great right? I would agree that the NA$CAR sky isn’t falling.

Why tf are we trying to create pack racing at every track over a mile long? Why do you want this to happen? Do you think the racing is boring or the races are too long? Do you just drink the NASCAR Kool-Aid every chance they get? You are so condescending on the subject.. instead of mocking people and sharing bar graphs and Bubba tweets that contradict other Bubba tweets, what is your opinion on the subject?

I have been posting what people in power have been saying, not what people make up on here and it has been pretty hilarious, Never was it said that plates will be on every track. People are so busy talking instead of reading what was said, an example is saying ratings are up? I believe if you look at what was said IF was the word in front of that information.
"If NBC and FOX are calling saying that business is good, ratings are good, that’s a good sign. If you’re seeing more sponsorship inquiries to the race teams, that’s a good sign."

I have been posting what people in power have been saying, not what people make up on here and it has been pretty hilarious, Never was it said that plates will be on every track. People are so busy talking instead of reading what was said, an example is saying ratings are up? I believe if you look at what was said IF was the word in front of that information.
"If NBC and FOX are calling saying that business is good, ratings are good, that’s a good sign. If you’re seeing more sponsorship inquiries to the race teams, that’s a good sign."

This board is living proof that people don't know they want.
IF NBC and Fox respond to anything coming out of NASCAR Nation, they are desperate and stupid.

The all star race was one race. How are FOX and NBC calling screaming for pack racing? Where is the proof this is a success.

Just wait and see... NASCAR is driving a slippery slope. You act like people here are the only people denouncing plates on intermediates.

This board is living proof that people don't know they want.
IF NBC and Fox respond to anything coming out of NASCAR Nation, they are desperate and stupid.

you probably need to read this from Steve O'Donnell

The all star race was one race. How are FOX and NBC calling screaming for pack racing? Where is the proof this is a success.

Just wait and see... NASCAR is driving a slippery slope. You act like people here are the only people denouncing plates on intermediates.

I'm glad you think you can predict the future, you might be right.

Director of Aerodynamics, Simulation and Design at NASCAR.

Looked like cars could follow through the corners...not so much able to get up off a turn and power past someone. Stage 1 I watched Chase just sit right on someone’s bumper the whole time. Then at the end of Stage 2 the top four followed single file until someone got out of line and then they tandem-drafted down the straights.

It sounds like they think the plates are at least working, which I don’t agree with and find worrying. You need too much help to make a good number of passes.

you probably need to read this from Steve O'Donnell

When the engineers science this out, they will go away as quickly as they came. Don't leverage the future of this sport on a gimmicky whim.

After today's Xfinity race, they need to scrap the idea of using it at Pocono. It changed nothing except the lap time.

Looked like cars could follow through the corners...not so much able to get up off a turn and power past someone. Stage 1 I watched Chase just sit right on someone’s bumper the whole time. Then at the end of Stage 2 the top four followed single file until someone got out of line and then they tandem-drafted down the straights.

It sounds like they think the plates are at least working, which I don’t agree with and find worrying. You need too much help to make a good number of passes.

Chase Elliott did what he usually does. Starts off crappy and continues to get better until he finished in second.

Probably need to look at that 2nd stage finish again. Menard passed the 7 car(loose), got beside the 00, and the 12 came up behind him pushing and the 7 caught up and was pushing the 00. It starts at mark 1:26 and you are in Menard's car. Pretty evident watching two clips that they would lose the front end when they got close on cornering..typical single file Pocono in that part

I watched all three races at Pocono. The high side car always won the restart and drove away. Nobody could get close to the car in front of them in a corner or they would lose the front end and the run down the straight. It took a loose car in the corners before the trailing car had a chance to pass on the straights. Some passing was possible with the Indy package but it took a push and usually the trailing car behind the car that went low to pass would stay up top and the passing car down low would lose a spot so it wasn't attempted except when they were all bunched up for a couple of laps on the restart. The four cars racing for first in stage two was because Menard got hung up beside Custer and the two behind paired off top and bottom. I didn't see a whole hell of a lot of difference in all three races at Pocono, clean air is king there.

I’m excited to be there for the Xfinity race next week. I think plates could put on a heck of a show at Michigan with its width and length
I do think so also. Plenty wide to run different lines. It's an experiment, see how it goes. Indy last year was pretty good.

You mean the same way the masses applauded the 2016 package that was tested in 2015, and then the racing a few more races into the 2016 season got critisized by the same masses for being “boring”?

The newness of the style of racing is still a factor. We have one single result and some fans want this at every 1.5+ mile track because of an instant reaction.

The problem with that package was that it was only going to be a matter of time, with all the research and testing, before teams figured out how to bring aerodynamics back in play. I can see that happening with a restrictor plate package too.

They are saying on NASCAR radio right now that they are bringing back the ALL STAR package in a couple CUP races this year! :bsflag::angry::dual9mm::dual9mm: WHY ??!! That package sucks! Cars slow and whoever out front will not get passed! I was at the ALL STAR race and the leader controls everything .. it’s passing in the middle of pack but nothing for the lead .. now I don’t get mad at NASCAR often because I love to watch racing but this package sucks .. I love seeing fast cars go all out.. not watching cars around the track that my daily driver can beat smh

Couple extra tickets might be available if interested... not that it’s been hard to
Get them...

Can they really run this crap at every 1.5 though? Surely they're not that stupid. And what would they run at places like Darlington? They said 3 packages, so I'm assuming a speedway package, short track, and intermediate. What do you do for places like Bristol, Darlington, Dover...?

I personally just cannot get over how dead the cars sounded and how slow they ran. A top speed of 170 and average of 84mph...at Charlotte?! How does that appeal to anyone?

Can they really run this crap at every 1.5 though? Surely they're not that stupid. And what would they run at places like Darlington? They said 3 packages, so I'm assuming a speedway package, short track, and intermediate. What do you do for places like Bristol, Darlington, Dover...?

I personally just cannot get over how dead the cars sounded and how slow they ran. A top speed of 170 and average of 84mph...at Charlotte?! How does that appeal to anyone?
Yea it’s wack!! I can’t believe they are entertaining this

Where did NASCAR say they are running this package at short tracks? I just assumed it was MAYBE 3 more races this year also assumed to be at 1.5 mile tracks. Sorry didn’t see this if it did indeed hit the news wire

Where did NASCAR say they are running this package at short tracks? I just assumed it was MAYBE 3 more races this year also assumed to be at 1.5 mile tracks. Sorry didn’t see this if it did indeed hit the news wire
They are not running it at a short track.

Yeah not for short tracks. My question is if they want to run 3 distinct packages throughout the course of a season, what do you run at those tweener tracks that are neither short track nor intermediate? You'd need a 4th package.

They are saying on NASCAR radio right now that they are bringing back the ALL STAR package in a couple CUP races this year! :bsflag::angry::dual9mm::dual9mm: WHY ??!! That package sucks! Cars slow and whoever out front will not get passed! I was at the ALL STAR race and the leader controls everything .. it’s passing in the middle of pack but nothing for the lead .. now I don’t get mad at NASCAR often because I love to watch racing but this package sucks .. I love seeing fast cars go all out.. not watching cars around the track that my daily driver can beat smh

I think NASCAR is getting desperate. If the money dudes are asking for it, they are going to get it. They ask for it because the money dude's money dudes think it is a great idea because it's on Twitter. Problem is, money dudes go away, and we are left with what they trashed....one day, there will be nothing left.

Yeah not for short tracks. My question is if they want to run 3 distinct packages throughout the course of a season, what do you run at those tweener tracks that are neither short track nor intermediate? You'd need a 4th package.

If we are going to run a billion different packages, how about a car that is more adjustable in terms of aero? That would probably make more sense.

Yeah I think they need a big knob on the roof. They can switch it to low, medium, high, and 4WD gonzo mode.

Yeah I think they need a big knob on the roof. They can switch it to low, medium, high, and 4WD gonzo mode.

You would prefer four different packages? That'll save money.

Back
Top Bottom