All-Star race experimentation receives mostly high marks

no use getting into an argument, fans, owners, tracks are all liking what happened, the small minority they ignore anyway. they say that publicly, there is a group that don't like nothing :D

I agree. I love these people just howling for more speed. I'll bet none have driven a car more than
150 mph and just being a passenger at 170 would cause them to have a hell of a bowel movement. Keep a camera close up at 175 mph and they would quit watching.

I really don't get this. I enjoy racing at Martinsville at 95 mph. I enjoy racing at Atlanta at 190 mph. I enjoy racing at Darlington at 175. I enjoy racing at Charlotte at 160, 170, 180 or whatever. During the race last night I could not tell the difference this year from last year in speed on TV. I even watched some of the 2017 All Star race just to see if I noticed much difference. Nope. I have been to Charlotte many times and have seen ARCA, Truck, Xfinity and Cup cars race there. It did not matter to me that the lower series were running slower than cup and had no bearing on my level of enjoyment. Actually it never even entered my mind. I never once thought, I can't wait until Cup runs so we can really get to see some speed. Maybe NHRA is your better choice if you want to see pure speed, 300+ over there!
Well said, every type of racing is good until you get races manipulated and controlled for game 7 moments.

The Text of the video clip posted at the beginning of the thread.
Transcript: What NASCAR said about the All-Star Race

https://nascar.nbcsports.com/2018/05/20/transcript-what-nascar-said-about-the-all-star-race/
I think the angle we all looked at, certainly at least what I hear from our fan base is, I love the Trucks, Trucks are great. I don’t really hear anybody talk about the speeds of the Trucks. They say it’s great racing. That was the goal tonight, too, is to put on a great race, but also be able to showcase the best drivers. I think it did accomplish that still early.
Great answer and is what I want to hear. What a far cry from the days when Brian made decisions with only two drinks of thought put into it.

I think you have to decide on what product you want to put out. The current car configuration really puts on a show similar to the dirt sprint cars, loose with tons of power and a benefit to clean air. However as you see in sprint car racing, a couple teams can nail a rules package and completely dominate as we're seeing this season.

I believe however if you want to make it like traditional stock car racing, you've got to slow the cars down a bit and create some kind of slingshot effect like what the trucks do at Michigan. The larger hole in the air is essential or else you're pretty much open wheel style racing in a heavy car

What difference does that make? If they run wide open with a plate or with a smaller engine its still wide open and you would get the same thing you got last night.
I don't think your right. 500 Hp in all the cars, No Plates, would be better racing and yet at most tracks they would still be fast enough to have to burp the engine in the corner. I am not talking about the crash fest tracks. I think it would be better there as well.
Really all 850 HP does is let them burn off the rear tires faster and make them to fast for the corners. Another thing IMO that would be accomplished is it wouldn't be a Harvick vs Kyle every week.

I don't think your right. 500 Hp in all the cars, No Plates, would be better racing and yet at most tracks they would still be fast enough to have to burp the engine in the corner. I am not talking about the crash fest tracks. I think it would be better there as well.
Really all 850 HP does is let them burn off the rear tires faster and make them to fast for the corners. Another thing IMO that would be accomplished is it wouldn't be a Harvick vs Kyle every week.
500hp and no plates, been saying this 1987.

I don’t agree. At least 650 HP in my opinion as it’ll turn into a straight up engineering war for downforce if it were as low as 500. Whoever can run wide open most would easily win races.

More throttle control is required at the current power which is very demanding on drivers

I don’t agree. At least 650 HP in my opinion as it’ll turn into a straight up engineering war for downforce if it were as low as 500. Whoever can run wide open most would easily win races.

More throttle control is required at the current power which is very demanding on drivers
There is no reason why 500hp wouldn't work with less downforce, the cars still would hit over 180 on the big tracks and have to lift in the corners.

Also, I can't quite figure out why Tiger Woods is a godsend for golf, and LeBron James being in the Finals every year is great for the NBA, and the Patriots being in the Super Bowl most years works fine for the NFL, and Michael Phelps was great for swimming, Lance Armstrong was great for cycling (at the time), and on and on. But one driver or team dominates NASCAR too much and it's time to figure out how to get everyone else up to speed, because that's 'boring'.
I'm late to the thread, but wanted to add that this has gone on for decades in NASCAR. Just ask Bill Elliott in 1986...or even when the winged cars ran. And to be clear I'm against "balancing the field" when an advantage is found.

I yield to your expertise.

There hasn’t been a 500 hp engine in a Cup car in over 50 years.

There hasn’t been a 500 hp engine in a Cup car in over 50 years.
I wonder what those 6 bangers had in the Busch series. I know they gave me a headache to listen to them. 40 fart cans. That was one of Jeff Gluck's ideas instead of the plates. what a goof idea

I agree with Kez that when the engineers had some time with it they would screw it up, but I also agree with Marcus Smith.

I wonder what those 6 bangers had in the Busch series. I know they gave me a headache to listen to them. 40 fart cans. That was one of Jeff Gluck's ideas instead of the plates. what a goof idea
All the dyno sheets were shredded. Too embarrassing.

Lumps now anchoring docks on Lake Norman.

It was the worst race held at the facility in the past two weeks. Smith's comment is laughable. He had never previously felt the need to watch a race there intently. Apparently hasn't thought much of the family business until this magic potion revived it.

Search YouTube for "NASCAR Charlotte full race" and pick a video. There's about a 90% chance it will be better racing than last Saturday's All Star Race.

I don't defer to the expertise of an industry insider whose premise for why something is great is that he'd never before stopped chatting with his pals in the suite to watch closely. Maybe if he had before, he'd have more of a clue.

The next major endorsement will be that the ASR package made Brian kick the booze.

Search YouTube for "NASCAR Charlotte full race" and pick a video. There's about a 90% chance it will be better racing than last Saturday's All Star Race.

I don't defer to the expertise of an industry insider whose premise for why something is great is that he'd never before stopped chatting with his pals in the suite to watch closely. Maybe if he had before, he'd have more of a clue.

The next major endorsement will be that the ASR package made Brian kick the booze.
There are many races which were better than the last all star race. Nascar tho will promote this as the next coming.

You boys getting primed up for this weekends Xfinity RESTRICTOR plate race at Poke you no yet. :):):D:p

tumblr_m574hgKop11rvwq31o1_400.gif

I get where you're coming from, and my opinion of what stock car racing should be is the same as yours. But I think it is important to acknowledge that a number of people who do have the best interests of Nascar at heart are strongly supportive of this All Star-type racing for intermediate tracks and larger flat tracks. "We have met the enemy, and it is us."

I hope that sanity will prevail, and those who see Nascar as a sporting contest of skill will win out. However, if it comes to a popular vote, I expect the decision to go the other way... in favor of Nascar as a provider of "the show... for entertainment purposes."

well there will always be cries of WWE to comfort the ones who will continue to moan but never miss a race whatever happens.

I get where you're coming from, and my opinion of what stock car racing should be is the same as yours. But I think it is important to acknowledge that a number of people who do have the best interests of Nascar at heart are strongly supportive of this All Star-type racing for intermediate tracks and larger flat tracks. "We have met the enemy, and it is us."

True. I would find it easier to be more measured in my responses if the notable statements in support of the ASR package weren't so hyperbolic.

When Dale Jr. says on NBCSN that "Nothing could be worse than what we have now", or Marcus Smith states that it's the greatest race ever because it's the first one he felt compelled to shut up and watch, I would call these thinly veiled slams on the current and past racing. Except they aren't actually veiled at all. They aren't even bothering to disguise their disdain, and are arguing for it to be radically different without substantiating why beyond "It was entertaining" or some variant.

There are intelligent racing people who support a higher downforce direction. The supportive arguments made here by @Acs are leaps and bounds more substantive than what the prominent talking heads have had to say. I still disagree strongly, but I won't ridicule a statement that isn't full of ridicule or ignorance itself.

I ask, "Why is more down force required and what purpose does it serve?"
If you are only interested in raw speed, why not just go to Drag racing or better yet go to the salt flats.
If your into good racing with one man's skills pitted against his rivals, you can have IROC.
If your into competitive racing with all the pitfalls of pit crew mistakes and/or high skills along with driver skills honed over a few years, we have that now.
I say all more down force gives you is a chance for some inexperienced driver to look and act like he knows what he doing until he goofs up.

Make the cars hard to drive and let the inexperienced wreck his cars.

I ask, "Why is more down force required and what purpose does it serve?"
If you are only interested in raw speed, why not just go to Drag racing or better yet go to the salt flats.
If your into good racing with one man's skills pitted against his rivals, you can have IROC.
If your into competitive racing with all the pitfalls of pit crew mistakes and/or high skills along with driver skills honed over a few years, we have that now.
I say all more down force gives you is a chance for some inexperienced driver to look and act like he knows what he doing until he goofs up.

Make the cars hard to drive and let the inexperienced wreck his cars.

your good until the last sentence..what defines "hard to drive" :D some on one end of the scale argue let em race on three tires at 250MPH best driver wins, others say let em go fender to fender harder then hell to pass and whatever it takes even a push from your enemy to get past the leader is "hard to drive" racing..and the rest will fall somewhere in between.

NASCAR official: Discussion ongoing to use All-Star package again in 2018

“We did kind of have an industry stakeholders meeting after the All-Star Race and talked about a lot of different things.”

Among the topics of conversation was if to use the All-Star package in a NASCAR Cup points race this season.
“Before we totally commit to putting races on the schedule for ’19 … we all kind of felt it would be interesting if we could take another look at it somewhere this year,” Miller said. “Those discussions are ongoing. It’s certainly … a whole lot more complex than it seems on the surface with these teams and engine builders having these schedules and car builds and engine builds particularly down to a science. Anything we do to change that up effects a lot of things in the eco-system.

“We’re working with the industry to come up with a plan to potentially look at it again, but we don’t have anything etched in stone at the moment.”

https://nascar.nbcsports.com/2018/0...ngoing-to-use-all-star-package-again-in-2018/

I'll take Indy for a thousand Alex.

wonder what those 6 bangers had in the Busch series
According to Carl Wagner who built most of them...they did 512 HP

As far as a cup car, have no problem with as much horsepower from a specific size engine. Would rather get rid of aero advantages to slow cars.

If you can not get the power down to the ground, it really will not matter whether or not it is 700HP or 800HP. Besides, want the cars running on the ragged edge all the time, make a driver drive again. Like the drivers had to back in the 70's, 80's, and most of the 90's.

some people are hallucinating :D:D:p

First it was the Xfinity series one off race at Indy. Then it was the all star race. Then it was 3 races this season. We all know how this story goes.

This situation is going the traditional direction of all NASCAR changes. No hallucinations, just common sense.

First it was the Xfinity series one off race at Indy. Then it was the all star race. Then it was 3 races this season. We all know how this story goes.

This situation is going the traditional direction of all NASCAR changes. No hallucinations, just common sense.
NASCAR: “This is only for the ASR, we are contractually obligated to not change the package in the regular season”

*7 days later*

NASCAR: “There is a chance we can use the package at 3 regular season races”

Back
Top Bottom