All-Star race experimentation receives mostly high marks

I'm always surprised anew when I read a post that bases an opinion of the racing on the sound of the engine.

I'm always surprised anew when I read a post that bases an opinion of the racing on the sound of the engine.

I get being attached to good old fashioned V8 engines and their raw power and roaring sound. I can't fathom being attached to just the sound itself, but preferring they have about half the power. Cognitive dissonance.

The plate All star race is right up at the top in popularity and that has stuck in the craw of some it seems, but the pluses far outweigh the minuses in the fan approval area. They probably will never get over it. Another experimental test at Michigan this weekend should produce more pack racing unlike Pocono and more like super speedway racing some teams are saying.

I don't base my opinions on my perception of how popular they are. That's not having an opinion, that's being a weather vane. As has been pointed out, the current low downforce package that is now supposedly unpopular was quite popular when debuted.

nor do I but opinions count and the surveys and feedback from that race are overwhelming positive is the fact. I don't see a weather vane in there.

Sure, it's a commercial business, and what the customers want matters. However, instant popularity doesn't necessarily equal lasting satisfaction. All I can do is speak my mind on things I care about. If someone asks me what I prefer, I don't say "Let me check the poll results and I'll get back to you."

Many people, even dedicated fans, seem to be admitting now that they don't like the current product and are on the "they couldn't do worse" bandwagon. That surprised me.

Watching the narrative change from "we need lower downforce, high horsepower, make 'em drive!" to "pack racing, high drag, high downforce, low power!" so suddenly has been fascinating. Over the course of maybe three or four seasons we went from wanting to implement one style of racing to loving it when implemented to hating it. Huh.

I really would like to see this package tried without the plate at all. I think it would be better than what we have now, and the plate haters couldn't cry over that either.
Didn't they try high downforce/drag with high power at Michigan and Indy a few years ago? They even brought out that wicker bill on the roof so we could all reminisce about Dale again. Don't think it went over too well. Maybe it'd be different with the front aero ducts but I wouldn't bet on it.

Some are very closed minded and think one size fits all. F-1 races on one style of track road races. Nascar doesn't and some can't get over the fact that 20 some odd years ago Nascar changed the package on super speedways. Can't expect the same bunch to embrace anything different.

I don't have a problem with the package on super speedways. It's the resulting racing that puts me through the catch fence.

Sure Charlie, I believe ya :rolleyes: :D:D
Charlie rates Dega
2. Too much hardware destroyed.

Charlie on the Dega pre race thread
<plate rant>
</plate rant>Thanks. I feel much better now.

Dega pre race thread
BobbyFord said:
... Plate races ... require very little skill.
I disagree. I think they require a different set of skills from other forms of racing, although I think it's a set there should be no opportunity to acquire.

Charlie on the Daytona pre race thread
I'll get the obligatory anti-plate rant out of the way early.
Needing 'help'. Pitting as a group. No acceleration. Being up front not good. Relatively inferior cars still competitive.
"We looked it up so you won't have to."

Charlie rates Dega

Heck...I also think they should go back to bias ply tires...get rid of the aero completely...one wheel base and track across the board...use stock bodies with stock overall dimensions....then let 'em go at it. Just like 1988.

Sure Charlie, I believe ya :rolleyes: :D:D
Charlie rates Dega
2. Too much hardware destroyed.

Charlie on the Dega pre race thread
<plate rant>
</plate rant>Thanks. I feel much better now.

Dega pre race thread
BobbyFord said:
... Plate races ... require very little skill.
I disagree. I think they require a different set of skills from other forms of racing, although I think it's a set there should be no opportunity to acquire.

Charlie on the Daytona pre race thread
I'll get the obligatory anti-plate rant out of the way early.
Needing 'help'. Pitting as a group. No acceleration. Being up front not good. Relatively inferior cars still competitive.
"We looked it up so you won't have to."

Charlie rates Dega
Geez, and I thought I had nothing to do today...:p

If it wasn't clear, I meant 'puts me through the catch fence' in a negative way.

Last edited:
Heck...I also think they should go back to bias ply tires...get rid of the aero completely...one wheel base and track across the board...use stock bodies with stock overall dimensions....then let 'em go at it. Just like 1988.

yeah you bet, just like a show room car. ;)
420385894e48de7dbf7fecea756002ed.jpg
5008E68F-4331-4F39-8C2F-DBB9787CDFC3_1.jpg

It's not just Mikey. If I had a nickel for every time the any member of the Fox crew has used the word 'pack' during today's Xfinity practice, I could fund my own start-and-park team.

Larry Mac - "They're hesitant to get out of the throttle because of the restrictor plate." I don't regard that as a good thing, but I guess that's just me.

It's not just Mikey. If I had a nickel for every time the any member of the Fox crew has used the word 'pack' during today's Xfinity practice, I could fund my own start-and-park team.

Larry Mac - "They're hesitant to get out of the throttle because of the restrictor plate." I don't regard that as a good thing, but I guess that's just me.
Too bad they relegate Larry Mac during the race broadcasts so we can listen to DW hee-haw for 3 hours.

I think Brad makes a good point here. There's still money to be made in NASCAR, but I could certainly see guys like Larson and co. sticking to dirt (or go back to dirt once they feel financially secure enough) if they're just going to run flat most weeks.

^ Excellent, Brad, call 'em like ya see 'em!

Yesterday, Brad had Jeff Burton and others up his nose over his comments on the Michigan tires chosen by Goodyear. Burton's view was that Brad should stifle his opinions on the tires, and thank Miller Lite and the boys back at the shop. LMAO.

I predict Brad will get skewered by many for these comments on the restrictor plate/aero duct/high downforce package. Brad is the poster boy for the inevitable truth that many fans and most media want Nascar drivers to be all vanilla, all the time. We say we want their personalities to shine through unfiltered... but every time they do that, we slam them for it without mercy.

^ Excellent, Brad, call 'em like ya see 'em!

Yesterday, Brad had Jeff Burton and others up his nose over his comments on the Michigan tires chosen by Goodyear. Burton's view was that Brad should stifle his opinions on the tires, and thank Miller Lite and the boys back at the shop. LMAO.

I predict Brad will get skewered by many for these comments on the restrictor plate/aero duct/high downforce package. Brad is the poster boy for the inevitable truth that many fans and most media want Nascar drivers to be all vanilla, all the time. We say we want their personalities to shine through unfiltered... but every time they do that, we slam them for it without mercy.

I'm not a Brad fan, but I love it when he speaks his mind because he handles himself the right way. He isn't afraid to offer an opinion that might be unpopular to many. I think he usually has a good grasp on what's good and bad for the sport. Even if I don't agree with something he says, I won't give him too much grief about it.

As much as I disagreed with Brad over his approval of the latest championship joke, I'm glad he's one of the few willing to speak up over the latest gimmick. I hope that more of them speak up before it's too late.

The gaps between the cars is too great for a 21st century sport without plates sometimes

Back
Top Bottom