All-Star race experimentation receives mostly high marks

bull crap, he would change the spoiler at will on any manufacturer he thought was getting an aero edge, outlaw engines, induction systems, you name it, he did it.

Yep, yep. You’re right.

I still imagine he’s been rolling in his grave since 07’

the same thing continues today, problem is too many people know about it and carp away at every little thing.

Yeah, this is not one of those little things. Just sayin.

bull crap, he would change the spoiler at will on any manufacturer he thought was getting an aero edge, outlaw engines, induction systems, you name it, he did it.
Petty and the Hemi come to mind

You guys want a good laugh, Read this about Big Bill and Karl Keikaefer

Back then, since the rules for NASCAR were called "strictly stock," a manufacturer that came up with something that was better and faster than the rest, just kept on winning. Karl Kiekhaefer was a hard nosed businessman. He wasn't interested in racing nor was he even a fan. However, his research had shown that wherever a NASCAR race took place there were tremendous potential for sales of outboard boat engines. As the owner of Mercury Marine Outboard Engines, he saw hard dollars in using the races as a means to advertise his outboards. The rest is history.

Between Karl's 3 team drivers, and Lee Petty, the 1955 300 notched an incredible 27 wins. 14 top 5 finishes and the NASCAR Championship to Tim Flock who took home $37,779 for his efforts.

In a harbinger of things to come, Karl Kiekhaefer left little to chance. He dug deep into his pockets. 1956 was a racing season that set chills up Big Bill France's spine when he saw the Kiekhaefer teams pull into a NASCAR event. France was not in control when it came to Kiekhaefer. In an era when some of the racers were actually driven to the track, then raced, Kiekhaefer equipped each car with a box truck full of spare parts, tires, tools, and test equipment; the truck towed the car to the races. Besides the original three drivers of 1955, Karl had hired two more drivers for 1956, fielding 5 cars. He would test the track, sample the dirt, and had a weatherman check for conditions up to 5 days before a race, just to make the right tire selection for the race. He applied military like discipline on his drivers, keeping them all in the same motel, imposing a nightly curfew and making them sleep away from their wives to avoid distractions. Truly, the man was just about 40 years ahead of his time.

Big Bill France had every car fielded by Kiekhaefer torn down, double checked, and would disqualify them for the slightest infractions. However, none were ever found. All France could do then is hope that they broke or blew up. A rare event. The cars competed like the stock champions that they were. At the end of 1956, the mighty teams had won 30 of the 50 events sponsored. At one point the 1956 300 B models won 16 races in a row. Prize money amounted to $70,000. Big money in 1956.

However, an interesting phenomenon started to occur. The Kiekhaefer teams were being booed. Beer bottles were thrown at the cars and drivers. By the middle of the season, fans started staying home in droves. Purse money went down. The fan appreciation that Karl had expected, especially in regards to selling his outboard engines, did not happen. Instead of respect and good will, he received boos along with a total lack of respect. At the end of 1956, he pulled out. Left everything and quit for good, never to return.

Rumors float around to this day, that have taken on the hard edge of truth that Big Bill France had actually not only encouraged the showing of utter disrespect, he may have been responsible for paying some few "good ol' boys" to institute the booing and beer bottle heaving shows.

Paul Menard likes it au naturale, baby...organic.

“I don’t think it’s a good package from the purism of racing, so I’m okay with not having it," Menard said. "I think it’s kind of made up racing, so I’m not all about that.”
“It’ll still be the normal Brickyard race,” he said. “I think the racing has been really good here. It’s hard to pass, obviously, but we don’t want to run three wide all the way around the track. I don’t think that’s racing.”

NASCAR backs off new aerodynamic package for IMS for fear of creating 'Indy-only car'
https://www.indystar.com/story/spor...ge-ims-fear-creating-indy-only-car/734153002/

not really, if the race was like the Xfinity race, or the 2016, or 2017 cup races, some would be cussing the 1.5 cookie cutters, and using their expert business capabilities to fix the sport. Some have a very short memory. I don't remember in recent history a close race at Chicagoland until this last one, and if it wasn't for lapped cars this wouldn't have been either

not talking about todays race. :rolleyes: Chicagoland was commenting they wanted the package after the All Star race.

I know when the tweet occurred, remember it well. Is there something in there you think I wasn't aware of?

well said

Those stand-up-and-scream-at-the-TV finishes have been all too rare lately, especially in this predictable and oft-dry season. But Chicago was a reminder of why so many of us invest our time watching NASCAR. The payoff for those who tuned in for the race was very high, and viewers got rewarded with one of the best finishes in a long time.

When you get a race with lead changes and passing and contact and drama on the final lap, that’s thrilling enough. But when it happens on a 1.5-mile track, it’s oddly even more of an adrenaline rush than on a short track — because you don’t really expect it.

Are we going to see this every week? No, of course not. That’s why a bunch of important people wanted the All-Star package to be used in Cup. So let’s just be appreciative and thankful for seeing a good intermediate track race — and getting the reminder they do exist and can put on an outstanding show under the right circumstances.

http://jeffgluck.com/the-top-five-breaking-down-the-chicagoland-race/

well said

Those stand-up-and-scream-at-the-TV finishes have been all too rare lately, especially in this predictable and oft-dry season. But Chicago was a reminder of why so many of us invest our time watching NASCAR. The payoff for those who tuned in for the race was very high, and viewers got rewarded with one of the best finishes in a long time.

When you get a race with lead changes and passing and contact and drama on the final lap, that’s thrilling enough. But when it happens on a 1.5-mile track, it’s oddly even more of an adrenaline rush than on a short track — because you don’t really expect it.

Are we going to see this every week? No, of course not. That’s why a bunch of important people wanted the All-Star package to be used in Cup. So let’s just be appreciative and thankful for seeing a good intermediate track race — and getting the reminder they do exist and can put on an outstanding show under the right circumstances.

http://jeffgluck.com/the-top-five-breaking-down-the-chicagoland-race/

Chicago is becoming more and more like Darlington. The rough surface has helped Chicago develop two racing grooves, a high and low line. The surface also eats tires which allows for passing and "comers and goers". Yesterday's race was pretty good all around but the finish was the cherry on top!

Chicago is becoming more and more like Darlington. The rough surface has helped Chicago develop two racing grooves, a high and low line. The surface also eats tires which allows for passing and "comers and goers". Yesterday's race was pretty good all around but the finish was the cherry on top!
Never thought I’d see Chicagoland and Darlington in the same sentence

Striking terror into the hearts of the plate a phobes.:eek:

Stenhouse plate for next year? :growl:
gKoycz3.jpg

NASCAR has made a number of rule changes in recent seasons, often bowing to pressure from drivers and team owners, at the expense of fans.

When asked for feedback on this year’s Monster Energy All-Star rules package, the sport’s marquee drivers were almost unanimously negative, saying it made the cars too slow and too easy to drive. Interestingly, drivers who routinely race in the middle and back of the pack had an entirely different take, hailing the new rules package for tightening competition, increasing passing and improving the racing.

NASCAR chose to listen to the frontrunners, waving off further use of the package in 2018, despite speaking glowingly of it just a few weeks earlier and promising to roll it out at least once more before season’s end.

In recent months, we have heard drivers – and in some cases, team owners– utter words to the effect of, “I don’t care about what’s best for the sport, I care about what’s best for me.” That is a dangerous precedent to set, in an era when driver feedback seems to guide the sport’s decision-making process more than ever before.
During his tenure, NASCAR founder Bill France, Sr. would happily listen to everyone with an opinion. He would then do what he thought was best for the sport and its fans.

http://motorsports-soapbox.blogspot.com/2018/07/commentary-problems-and-solutions.html

Today, NASCAR listens to everybody, reacting (it seems) to those who speak the loudest, whether they are paying customers or not. Fans have long complained about a lack of competition on NASCAR’s 1.5 mile ovals. It is a longstanding problem that has plagued the sport for years. And yet, after discovering a promising potential remedy for those complaints at the All Star Race, NASCAR waved it off under pressure from its athletes.

http://motorsports-soapbox.blogspot.com/2018/07/commentary-problems-and-solutions.html

Restrictor plates are dumb period. Just put the aero ducts and heightened spoiler on the damn things. That’s how you’ll get more great battles for the lead.

Taking power away isn’t necessary as these things are way too heavy

I'm getting the feeling they won't go through with it. Similar to when drivers and teams put pressure on them to implement low downforce a few years ago, they'll give in to their desires this time around as well (mercifully).

Restrictor plates are dumb period. Just put the aero ducts and heightened spoiler on the damn things. That’s how you’ll get more great battles for the lead.

Taking power away isn’t necessary as these things are way too heavy
I don't think anybody who knows anything knows they didn't have enough power..it was the first try at it

I can understand the lack of faith Nascar would get it right, they are pretty rudderless, but one can hope, but I wasn't surprised they buckled, their leadership isn't made up of car guys. Put somebody like Evernham in charge it would be a different story

NASCAR has made a number of rule changes in recent seasons, often bowing to pressure from drivers and team owners, at the expense of fans.

When asked for feedback on this year’s Monster Energy All-Star rules package, the sport’s marquee drivers were almost unanimously negative, saying it made the cars too slow and too easy to drive. Interestingly, drivers who routinely race in the middle and back of the pack had an entirely different take, hailing the new rules package for tightening competition, increasing passing and improving the racing.

NASCAR chose to listen to the frontrunners, waving off further use of the package in 2018, despite speaking glowingly of it just a few weeks earlier and promising to roll it out at least once more before season’s end.

In recent months, we have heard drivers – and in some cases, team owners– utter words to the effect of, “I don’t care about what’s best for the sport, I care about what’s best for me.” That is a dangerous precedent to set, in an era when driver feedback seems to guide the sport’s decision-making process more than ever before.
During his tenure, NASCAR founder Bill France, Sr. would happily listen to everyone with an opinion. He would then do what he thought was best for the sport and its fans.

Unbelievable. Accusing race car drivers of looking out for ‘number one’ in regards to health of the sport like the health of the sport doesn’t affect their bank accounts, especially funny when neutering these cars puts the sport in more jeopardy than any race team would be able to.

Vilifying drivers for being opposed, or in support even, of these rules is as obnoxious as SMI blaming young drivers for the sports decline. No accountability anywhere.

I would be more concerned to discover I'm on the same side of an issue as Dave Moody and Jim Utter than to find out they agree with me.

Really, should that tripe even be considered an argument? It's not coherent and lacks basic internal logic. Not a single driver or figure who has criticized a low power / high downforce package has expressed or implied that they are doing so just for their own benefit. That is a blatant and absurd mischaracterization. Everyone is motivated in part by self interest and preservation. The self interest in mid-packers preferring that competition is 'equalized' and randomized could not be more obvious.

He talks up declining ratings and attendance and attempts to tie those specifically to anecdotal dissatisfaction with 1.5 milers. In reality, ratings are down across the board by approximately the same percentages at plate tracks, short tracks, and road courses.

He likes pack racing and apparently quite dislikes the current product, and is latching onto any argument that will support his personal bias. He is claiming that those who disagree are operating in bad faith and are motivated only by personal gain.

The difference between him and me is that I just argue for what I think produces the best racing. I don't pretend that my personal preference is a magical fix that will bring disinterested fans back.

Unbelievable. Accusing race car drivers of looking out for ‘number one’ in regards to health of the sport like the health of the sport doesn’t affect their bank accounts, especially funny when neutering these cars puts the sport in more jeopardy than any race team would be able to.

Vilifying drivers for being opposed, or in support even, of these rules is as obnoxious as SMI blaming young drivers for the sports decline. No accountability anywhere.
Drivers aren't there to look out for the sport. NASCAR management is there to look out for the sport.

Fans have long complained about a lack of competition on NASCAR’s 1.5 mile ovals. It is a longstanding problem that has plagued the sport for years. And yet, after discovering a promising potential remedy for those complaints at the All Star Race, NASCAR waved it off under pressure from its athletes.;)

Fans have long complained about a lack of competition on NASCAR’s 1.5 mile ovals. It is a longstanding problem that has plagued the sport for years. And yet, after discovering a promising potential remedy for those complaints at the All Star Race, NASCAR waved it off under pressure from its athletes.;)

It’s tough to make a call on this because there are people who wouldn’t mind 4th gear pinned on every oval and there are people like me who think adding plates and poking giant holes in the front bumper is lazy and absolutely retarded. May as well listen to the drivers who, you know, drive them. ;)

Back
Top Bottom