All-Star race experimentation receives mostly high marks

The Moody article only gets worse on subsequent reads. It is sheer idiocy full of unsupported and disconnected claims and personal bias disguised as expertise. There is zero substantive analysis in the piece; only random bits of anecdotal wisdom he's selectively chosen to hear from certain fans who confirm his bias. Random posters here get torn apart for making less fantastical suggestions about what NASCAR should be instead.

It’s tough to make a call on this because there are people who wouldn’t mind 4th gear pinned on every oval and there are people like me who think adding plates and poking giant holes in the front bumper is lazy and absolutely retarded. May as well listen to the drivers who, you know, drive them. ;)

it was the first shot out of the box in trying something different and trying the package with more power. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to make more power out of the package. But the rallying cry for all of the close minded whiners is to throw the baby out with the bath water.

I have no objection to trying it with more power, preferably completely unrestricted. I'd like to see if it's possible to catch and pass with this aero configuration alone, with the engine set up as it's run on all but two of the other tracks..

I have no objection to trying it with more power, preferably completely unrestricted. I'd like to see if it's possible to catch and pass with this aero configuration alone, with the engine set up as it's run on all but two of the other tracks..
IMO they took a guess at the speed/HP for that race and it wasn't enough. The package they race in the Xfinity is too slow also IMO. They should run it with the tapered spacer they are using on the cars currently IMO and see how that does. It looked like the ducts took away the side drafting and brought out the slingshot to me, but they needed more throttle response to motor thru the pass.

A simple solution would be to run the ducts with an open motor next year at the All Star. Then they would have two bench marks to go by, a low and a high speed test under a racing environment to see if it was worth going forward with. No balls to try it out with an open motor at Indy... disappointed

Yeah I mean I love a slingshot pass and the ability to get a run on a car. That’s the issue right now, dirty air has became so crucial that guys aren’t able to make passes bc of turbulence

IMO they took a guess at the speed/HP for that race and it wasn't enough. The package they race in the Xfinity is too slow also IMO. They should run it with the tapered spacer they are using on the cars currently IMO and see how that does. It looked like the ducts took away the side drafting and brought out the slingshot to me, but they needed more throttle response to motor thru the pass.
Throttle response has always been key to sling shot passing on a plate track, that and proper aero, neither are working right now. Nascar should go back to packages circa 2003-2005.

Agreed, though poking holes in the nose without plates first would have been appreciated. Lol

Throttle response has always been key to sling shot passing on a plate track, that and proper aero, neither are working right now. Nascar should go back to packages circa 2003-2005.

Right? The hitting at Darlington between Busch and Craven was amazing to watch. Almost impossible to do with present day cars and not wreck

This statement is as bogus as a $3 bill. Anyone who has driven at terminal speed knows there is no throttle response at that speed, and damn little as speed approaches terminal speed. The key to sling shot passing at or near terminal speed is momentum derived from lower drag in the slipstream of the leading car, not throttle response.

...oh.

NASCAR offers potential competition plans for 2019
RACINBOYS EXCLUSIVE By Lee Spencer (Long Pond, PA) -- What’s on the horizon for the Monster Energy Cup Series in 2019?

A new car package resembling the configuration from the All-Star Race could be put in play at a number of tracks next season.

RacinBoys.com obtained a copy of a NASCAR document featuring the “Proposed 2019 Event Implementations” at 14 races on next year’s schedule. The proposals were kicked around during a July 11 meeting with the NASCAR Rules Committee.

According to the agenda, fans could get their first look at the All-Star package at Las Vegas Motor Speedway on March 3 followed by Auto Club Speedway on March 17. The configuration could also be used for both races at Texas Motor Speedway (3/31, 11/3), Kansas Speedway (5/11, 10/20), Michigan Speedway (6/9, 8/11) the Charlotte May races (5/18, 5/26), Chicagoland Speedway (6/30), Kentucky Speedway (7/13) and Indianapolis Motor Speedway (9/9).

Scott Miller, NASCAR’s Senior Vice President of Competition confirmed the possibility of changes on Monday’s Morning Drive on SiriusXM NASCAR Radio.

“Work for 2019 has definitely begun,” Miller said. “We’re working closely with the industry trying to come up with the 2019 rules package and whether or not that incorporates something similar to what we saw at the Charlotte All-Star event or an iteration of that.

“There’s a lot of work left to do with the industry but certainly, thinking about the following season is starting earlier and earlier with us."

The so-called “NA18D” race package would feature an engine with a tapered spacer to produce roughly 550 horsepower—150 more HP than was generated at the All-Star event in May. The target RPM is 8500. NASCAR officials anticipate the configuration will provide significantly improved fuel mileage and the ability to reduce fuel capacity to maintain the same number of laps for a fuel run. NASCAR is working with OEMs, engine builders and teams to come up with a single rear gear ratio for each race.

With the exception of Daytona International Speedway and Talladega Superspeedway, where the superspeedway setup will be used, the remaining tracks would continue using the current package. NASCAR’s ultimate goal is to use two unrestricted engine packages—the current open engine and a new 550-horsepower engine.

More: http://www.racinboys.com/news/?i=63518

giphy.gif

Did I call that or what. tapered spacer. the plataphobes were stumping their toes over the experimental plate package.:D:D Hope they continue with the development..long live the All Star experiment.

Did I call that or what. tapered spacer. the plataphobes were stumping their toes over the experimental plate package.:D:D Hope they continue with the development..long live the All Star experiment.
I prefer to think our toes were kicking the plate notion to the curb. I'd said all along I had no objections to the aero package.

You know what gets me hard? 550 horsepower in a professional stock car series.

You do realize the spacer is achieving the same thing a plate does, right??

So basically half the races and the best oval currently on the schedule(ACS). So ******* stupid.

**** all the jackasses that criticize people for “overreacting”.
On the bright side, they’ll be able to remove more of those pesky grandstand seats in favor of more pre-race FanZone activity areas.

On the bright side, they’ll be able to remove more of those pesky grandstand seats in favor of more pre-race FanZone activity areas.

Yeah, Vegas and CA. I’d imagine you won’t be attending.

550 HP is still ~200 HP down from what they run now, and ~300 HP down from what they ran four years ago...and with big parachutes on the back. These things are going to look and run goofy next year.

Somehow, after the shows we got at Kansas, Chicagoland, Michigan, etc. this year people in Daytona Beach and Charlotte still thought it would be good to make them watered down plate tracks. Good grief.

I prefer to think our toes were kicking the plate notion to the curb. I'd said all along I had no objections to the aero package.

The aero portion is nearly as bad as the reduced power element. NASCAR spent years working to remove downforce from the cars to put it back in the drivers' hands, as they say. They were correct to do so. The current racing is by and large quite good, and more importantly, rewards the best of the best.

By definition, supporters of the new package believe that was all a mistake, as this is a severe reversal of course.

The aero portion is nearly as bad as the reduced power element. NASCAR spent years working to remove downforce from the cars to put it back in the drivers' hands, as they say. They were correct to do so. The current racing is by and large quite good, and more importantly, rewards the best of the best.

By definition, supporters of the new package believe that was all a mistake, as this is a severe reversal of course.

The most outspoken supporter of reduced power here is ironically a huge fan of 1200 lb cars with 950 hp that would loop out, if not for a gas tank hanging off the back. Go figure.

...oh.

NASCAR offers potential competition plans for 2019

More: http://www.racinboys.com/news/?i=63518

giphy.gif
If this or anything similar is confirmed I will be overtly disappointed and will not watch most of next season. This is a blatant disregard for what fans and drivers have asked for, which is removal of the tapered spacer and increased horsepower.

SMH

Through all these gimmicks...sometimes I like to put myself in a non-race fan's shoes, and look at it from their perspective. Not to make me like whatever gimmick, but it helps me understand some of NASCAR's thinking a bit trying to attract new fans.

So...
1. "Playoffs" format- resembles other sports...doesn't work for NASCAR but the common "stick and ball" fan will find it familiar.
2. Stage racing- other sports have quarters and halfs and other forms of bull**** and people don't mind.
3. HP reductions to make racecars go slower... well **** me sideways I got nothin' on this one... ship has sailed...

@gnomesayin has it right. It seems as if those who want race outcomes to be more random, rather than skill based, are gonna get what they want. They say that's "better entertainment." F#ck that. I'm entertained by hard-to-drive skill based racing... and the more difficult it is, the better I like it.

Every 1.5-mile track except Atlanta, Darlington, and Homestead. Every long track except Pocono. This is very, very bad. I am devastated by this news..:(

@gnomesayin has it right. It seems as if those who want race outcomes to be more random, rather than skill based, are gonna get what they want. They say that's "better entertainment." F#ck that. I'm entertained by hard-to-drive skill based racing... and the more difficult it is, the better I like it.

Every 1.5-mile track except Atlanta, Darlington, and Homestead. Every long track except Pocono. This is very, very bad. I am devastated by this news..:(
I hear they’re setting up a roller coaster track on many of the racetracks. The cars are all linked together single file and driver placement will be based on a ping pong ball lottery system.
That should mix things up a bit.

The proposed package or any tweaked evolution of it will ruin some of the best tracks where the surface has aged to allow for difficult, high speed, slick racing like Auto Club and Chicagoland. Even Kansas has improved considerably.

The "drafting package" will also be a clusterf**k at more single groove tracks like Texas and Kentucky.

The correct adjustments would have been more power and working on less sideforce. This is a dumpster fire anywhere and everywhere. There is not a single good thing about it. As usual, the "We're giving the fans what they want" posture is a sham. They keep chasing mythical would-be fans who no longer give a f**k no matter that they "enhance".

Back
Top Bottom