All-Star race experimentation receives mostly high marks

I think you would find that those are between timing loops and not for laps. It’s very evident that it turns into just another pack plate race where the leader can block at will and they’ll just tear up a bunch of cars.
12 lead changes, compared to zero the year before. Doesn't look to packy to me according to how many laps the leaders were able to keep the lead. The leader isn't at everybodies mercy like some would lead us to believe

Lap Leaders: R. Stenhouse Jr. 1-5; K. Harvick 6-30; M. Truex Jr. 31; Kyle Busch 32-50; B. Keselowski 51; M. Truex Jr. 52; B. Keselowski 53-54; M. Truex Jr. 55-69; K. Larson 70-74; D. Hamlin 75-81; K. Larson 82; K. Harvick 83-93.
and BTW Harvick held off a hard charging Daniel Suarez and Joey Logano racing fender to fender for the win. 2 and 3 wide at one lane Charlotte isn't pack racing

38 green flag passes for the lead in the All Star race,
I guess that matters if passes for the lead are the only criteria one uses to decide if it's good racing. To me, it says the leader can't get away from the pack, and that individual drive skill and / or accurate car setup played less of a factor than I personally prefer. Frankly, I'd rather see Truex run away for 392 laps; I can always look back in the field for races for position.

Gluck makes a valid point there about the contradictions some exhibit. However, there is no cognitive dissonance here. No, I do not want to see the kind of racing trucks do on intermediates in the Cup Series. Ever. Have never uttered that nonsense about how Cup should be more like them. I've never desired any top level racing series resemble a developmental one.

Gluck makes a valid point there about the contradictions some exhibit. However, there is no cognitive dissonance here. No, I do not want to see the kind of racing trucks do on intermediates in the Cup Series. Ever. Have never uttered that nonsense about how Cup should be more like them.
if you would click on the 88 people talking about this part of the tweet, I am sure you would find at least one of your views expressed there along with just about anything else under the sun, including bring back the 2014 package.:D Even Mark Martin is in there. ha

if you would click on the 88 people talking about this part of the tweet, I am sure you would find at least one of your views expressed there along with just about anything else under the sun, including bring back the 2014 package.:D Even Mark Martin is in there. ha
Why bring anything back? Let's stick with the package we have now and tweek it.

The Vegas CWTS race was fantastic...for a CWTS race. No way in hell I want to see that type of racing in MENCS at tracks other than Daytona and Talladega. MENCS cars should drive like dump trucks on ice where true talent shines.

Yeah but why? The trucks almost mimic how INDYCAR is on ovals where you get a slipstream and can make a run on the car in front of you.

IMO idk why we cannot put brake ducts on all of the cars to allow a small draft of you can keep up. These current cars have so much damn speed and so little downforce that it’s a struggle in turbulent air

How many fans even watch truck racing? Why on Earth would they try to mimic such an unpopular series? I am afraid they are listening to a vocal minority, all the while the silent majority keeps walking away.

How many fans even watch truck racing? Why on Earth would they try to mimic such an unpopular series? I am afraid they are listening to a vocal minority, all the while the silent majority keeps walking away.

For the level of racing it is, the Truck series is popular. However, I agree that it is asinine to try to emulate it at the highest level.

I believe even with the intended "boost" to 550 HP the Cup cars will be slower than the Trucks...they were much, much slower at 450 and the Trucks are somewhere in the low 600s, probably? More drag as well if they go with that massive spoiler and the dog ears. I don't even think fans will get what they want if Truck racing is what they desire.

I think when they throw around horsepower numbers it is closer to a form of voodoo lies than actual HP. For instance the new NC 1 crate motor in the truck series was supposed to have like 40 or 50 more horsepower than the one they had. Moffitt's team didn't change from using TRD and he has won 4 almost 5 races this year. At Vegas Friday, Crafton had a Roush Yates, Moffitt had his TRD, and Enfinger ran the NC-1, Couldn't tell the difference.:idunno:

All this truck series talk, yet we lament whenever Kyle Busch goes to race against them bc he dominates. Bottom line is the level of driver and teams at a lower HP will still be much higher than that of the Truck or Xfinity series

Sounds like passing will be even more difficult if track position is more massive. This package is going to have the complete opposite effect intended IMO. Also the ability to hold it WFO on tracks like Fontana where throttle off time and the time it takes to return throttle is paramount is simply a disastrous waste of talented drivers.

Old guy is so stubborn he just laughs when he is proven so drastically incorrect.

neither you or I know what the racing will be like, but it is funny as hell to read about people who think they do.

Maybe we can watch them run a 4-wide pack around Fontana the entire race! :)

That wouldn't be nearly as odd as watching the old tandem-draft at SuperSpeedway races -- although they were entertaining with all the lead changes...

Last edited:
Maybe they will run single file like they do now. Who the hell knows. Probably will find out more at Vegas when they run 14 cars on a 1.5. They didn't run wide open at Fontana even though Suarez said they couldn't, we have some who are convinced they did. :D I can't see them doing it at Vegas either

Maybe they will run single file like they do now. Who the hell knows. Probably will find out more at Vegas when they run 14 cars on a 1.5. They didn't run wide open at Fontana, I can't see them doing it at Vegas either

They literally ran side by side wide open for several laps yesterday at Fontucky. It looked like filming for Days of Thunder

They literally ran side by side wide open for several laps yesterday at Fontucky. It looked like filming for Days of Thunder
you really need to take a look at this two minute clip, they ran single file for most of it.

Maybe they will run single file like they do now. Who the hell knows. Probably will find out more at Vegas when they run 14 cars on a 1.5. They didn't run wide open at Fontana even though Suarez said they couldn't, we have some who are convinced they did. :D I can't see them doing it at Vegas either

They'll be practicing with this:

http://www.autoclubspeedway.com/Articles/2019/01/Five-Wide-Salute-NASCAR-Auto-Club-400.aspx

I'm so looking forward to this season! Who knows what will happen... :)

The driver comments that I have read and those that have seen cars on track have painted a pretty dim picture of what things will be like.

I know the fans of a speed contest won’t like the 2019 rules and I don’t think the new rules will attract younger fans. We will see.

giphy.gif

you really need to take a look at this two minute clip, they ran single file for most of it.

Yeah I saw that. I read somewhere yesterday that Suarez and Truex(I believe) were side by side, wide open, for 5 laps.

The driver comments that I have read and those that have seen cars on track have painted a pretty dim picture of what things will be like.

I know the fans of a speed contest won’t like the 2019 rules and I don’t think the new rules will attract younger fans. We will see.

I hope we are wrong but I agree.

Maybe we can watch them run a 4-wide pack around Fontana the entire race! :)

That wouldn't be nearly as odd as watching the old tandem-draft at SuperSpeedway races -- although they were entertaining with all the lead changes...
If this results in Tandem 2.0, I'll be delighted.

People who watched the footage should be able to see the resemblance. The only thing missing was a camera car pacing the field :p

People who watched the footage should be able to see the resemblance. The only thing missing was a camera car pacing the field :p

people who watch that clip see that they were mostly single file. Some I think are hallucinating what they want to see according to their agenda.

people who watch that clip see that they were mostly single file. Some I think are hallucinating what they want to see according to their agenda.

Not the only clip making the rounds. And again, the driver take that they were able to perform 160mph pace laps was not filmed afaik.

Back
Top Bottom