All things relating to Danica -- New season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Danica will only win in NASCAR if she’s racing by herself, Richard Petty says

The only way Danica Patrick will win a NASCAR Sprint Cup race is if she’s the only driver on the track, says the legendary “King” of stock car racing, Richard Petty.

Petty, who visited Toronto Sunday for an appearance at the Canadian Motorsports Expo (for the live blog, please click here), answered quickly and decisively when asked if the former IndyCar star who’s now a second-year driver for Stewart-Haas Racing would ever visit Victory Lane in the Cup series.

“(Only) if everybody else stayed home,” said Petty, who started his NASCAR career in 1958 in a race at the long-gone Canadian National Exhibition Speedway in downtown Toronto.

Petty spent much of the time in a media scrum discussing how NASCAR has evolved over the years from “race time” to “show time” and he acknowledged that Patrick has been good for the sport in that respect.

“If she’d have been a male, nobody would ever know if she’d showed up at a race track,” said the seven-time Daytona 500 champion. “This is a female deal that’s driving her. There’s nothing wrong with that, because that’s good PR for me. More fans come out, people are more interested in it. She has helped to draw attention to the sport, which helps everybody in the sport.”

Petty said NASCAR has grown so big that much of the attention paid to the series and the drivers these days has moved the actual racing into the back seat.

read the rest here.

LOL I came to share that... I love it! :XXROFL:

Also my uncle went and met him might have got me an autograph at that show in Toronto.. n my Dad met Ryan Newman.

Wonder if Danica will make a reaction comment before her PR team can stop her

She's definitely a pay driver, but I could see her winning a 2011 Daytona 500-esque war of attrition plate race.

Petty said NASCAR has grown so big that much of the attention paid to the series and the drivers these days has moved the actual racing into the back seat.

The actual racing has been moved to the backseat because the racing itself kind of sucks more times than not.

I guess Richard is just trying to make the news.
"Petty, who visited Toronto Sunday for an appearance at the Canadian Motorsports Expo, answered quickly and decisively when asked if the former IndyCar star who’s now a second-year driver for Stewart-Haas Racing would ever visit Victory Lane in the Cup series."

He was responding to a question.

"Petty, who visited Toronto Sunday for an appearance at the Canadian Motorsports Expo, answered quickly and decisively when asked if the former IndyCar star who’s now a second-year driver for Stewart-Haas Racing would ever visit Victory Lane in the Cup series."

He was responding to a question.
There were a lot of ways to answer the question. But he decided to be a dumb @SS

He didn't sound too sexist to me, only that he's not very impressed with her skill. It seemed to me he mightve said the same thing about another driver he doesn't think is very capable behind the wheel.

There were a lot of ways to answer the question. But he decided to be a dumb @SS
I don't really see anything wrong with how he did. So he doesn't think she'll win a race, a lot of people think the same. He said if she were a male people wouldn't even know she's at the track. OK, she finished in between Ragan and Gilliland in points last year - do they get attention outside of restrictor plate tracks? He did acknowledge that she helps the sport in a positive manner by drawing attention to the sport.

"Petty, who won 200 races in a career that went from that Toronto race in 1958 to the Hooters 500 in Atlanta in 1992, was outspoken on several subjects, including the new NASCAR Chase format that emphasizes winning (he doesn’t see why it won’t work) to Dale Earnhardt Jr. (he doesn’t have his father’s talent)."

Of course this is only given a passing mention in the article. Wouldn't rustle as many jimmies talking about the King's opinions on the Chase or Dale Jr.

Danica responds to the Kings comments.....

BgIZ_jcCMAABrst.jpg:large

this whole thing shows how BIG Danica is. Petty disses Jr in the same interview, and hardly anyone takes notice.

“It’s sort of like, say, watching the Super Bowl; it was a lot more exciting watching the buildup than the game. The game just happened to break out in the middle of a good party."

:XXROFL:

If the timing wouldnt have been perfect for Jr to slide over to Hendrick, I honestly believe he would be running in a one car team.

Danica will only win in NASCAR if she’s racing by herself, Richard Petty says

The only way Danica Patrick will win a NASCAR Sprint Cup race is if she’s the only driver on the track, says the legendary “King” of stock car racing, Richard Petty.

Petty, who visited Toronto Sunday for an appearance at the Canadian Motorsports Expo (for the live blog, please click here), answered quickly and decisively when asked if the former IndyCar star who’s now a second-year driver for Stewart-Haas Racing would ever visit Victory Lane in the Cup series.

“(Only) if everybody else stayed home,” said Petty, who started his NASCAR career in 1958 in a race at the long-gone Canadian National Exhibition Speedway in downtown Toronto.

Petty spent much of the time in a media scrum discussing how NASCAR has evolved over the years from “race time” to “show time” and he acknowledged that Patrick has been good for the sport in that respect.

“If she’d have been a male, nobody would ever know if she’d showed up at a race track,” said the seven-time Daytona 500 champion. “This is a female deal that’s driving her. There’s nothing wrong with that, because that’s good PR for me. More fans come out, people are more interested in it. She has helped to draw attention to the sport, which helps everybody in the sport.”

read the rest here.

What a woman hater. He must have some sort of inferiority complex.:sarcasm:

What a woman hater. He must have some sort of inferiority complex.
Unless Danica wins under a rain delay or a miracle fuel mileage run, do you really think she'll outrace the rest of the field?

I am going to have a blast in this thread if she has even a little success on the track.

If the man with 200 wins and 7 championships says a driver isn't good, I'm gonna take his word for it.
Nothing against Richard Petty but him judging a modern driver in the new cars in the new era of racing could be like asking a person that's been sitting beside the road drinking wine for forty years to be hired as a Sommelier in a fancy restaurant.

That's true but I'm not going to judge her abilities until she has a chance to acclimate herself to Nascar, I'm going to give her another season or two and then decide
She is starting her 5th year in NASCAR , how many years does she need ?:D

I have respect for the King for not marching to NASCAR's PC BS, and after last year, I sort of agree with him, its to bad that Johanna Long is out of a full time ride , I could see her having a chance to win a Cup race

She is starting her 5th year in NASCAR , how many years does she need ?:D

I have respect for the King for not marching to NASCAR's PC BS, and after last year, I sort of agree with him, its to bad that Johanna Long is out of a full time ride , I could see her having a chance to win a Cup race
Bitching, arguing, pissing, moaning, whatever, is in my opinion counterproductive. My mind is made up and so apparently is your's so end of discussion.

I have no problem with her running in NASCAR. I root for her just like I do for several other drivers.

I can't really stand back and look at Petty's remarks as a non NASCAR fan but I'd imagine that if this gets any play outside the NASCAR world it would make him look like an A-hole. Regardless of what he believes or anyone else for that matter it was a dumb comment to have made. You may have to put aside your Danica dislike to see that.

Bitching, arguing, pissing, moaning, whatever, is in my opinion counterproductive. My mind is made up and so apparently is your's so end of discussion.
Say what?

I was simply saying that she has been in "NASCAR" like you said now starting her 5th season, how many years does she need to before she becomes competitive is what I was asking, there was no me taking a dig at what you said, no taking a dig at Danica, but I was just being honest, her time spent in Nationwide, Johanna Long finished higher then her most of the races and Danica is in the best money can buy, Johanna was not, I have nothing against female drivers or Danica, I have everything against a marketing tool being portrayed as a "race car driver'' and the media shoving her down our throats as the best thing ever.

Do I want to see Danica succeed, yes I do, for a few reason's, one, it will be good for NASCAR, and it will it maybe show other women drivers out their that they could be just as successful in NASCAR.

But, Danica has not really shown much of anything that says she has a chance to win a race, she is no longer a rookie, it is time for her to go out on the track and show us that she can be competitive , its put up or shut up time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom