Atlanta Motor Speedway 2022 update

I go with this "If You Build It, They will Come". I do not care what Atlanta Does to THEIR track, as long as 40 Hot Rods show up and give us a good show and from the looks of this upgrade it is going to be bad fast. JMHO.
Hell yes to this all damn day! THANK YOU!!!!!!!

Reactions: sdj
Uh Oh. Rodney.....

I find it remarkable that the industry is already ****ting on itself over this....and then we have the safety of the Next Gen rumors making the rounds. Sometimes, this whole sport just needs to STFU and ****** race. Enough!

If you want to judge for yourselves the discussion starts around the 19:35 mark. The part about the racing being horrible seems flippant, but as he goes on he still doesn't seem too thrilled and mentions again at the end that it'll probably be around one lane, as a number of banked and repaved tracks have been to start. But come to your own conclusion.

Yeah even I don’t blame Pockrass for running that story. Rodney said it and didn’t retread on that opening statement at all other than “yeah it still sucks”.

IMO sounds like Rodney got a text from his PR folks and needed a back pedal.

Google "Daytona single file" for fun. There is literally a major article for every year that complains about the high amount of single file freight train racing
They choose to do that my friend. It has nothing to do with the track.

As much as the executive body of NASCAR deserve to be roasted for asinine, poorly thought out changes over the last 20 years… everyone needs to get a grip over this Atlanta repave. More than likely this will backfire. But at least they’re trying something new. Since when was it mandatory to get the approval of every swinging dick in the garage before making a competition change? Promoters promote, racers race.

Like others have said, the drivers and CC’s don’t care what puts on the best show for the fans. They want what will make it easier for them to go out and win races. Guys like Childers and Harvick would rather have a package where they dad dick the field by 3 laps, then have to race side by side with everyone.

A lot of these guys have a serious case of candy assness IMO. Naturally, Denny Hamlin is the first one to run his mouth. The same Denny Hamlin who would rather run the cushion on a GWC at the Bristol Dirt race, then lay the bumper to Logano his biggest rival, for a win.

Covid caused this, NOT Nascar.

Especially up here where the Northeast completely locked its self down for a year. PA had race fans last summer but NY had no fans in attendance the whole season*. I expect Loudon to have the best crowd in recent memory next weekend if the weather is good.

*one extremely small podunk racetrack in NY ran every weekend starting in June despite government orders and never got shut down despite other tracks trying to run and promptly getting shutdown after a week.

Thought this was relevant to our discussion here the past few days

Reactions: Pat
"The stated goal from SMI director of operations Steve Swift and track president Brandon Hutchison is to break the mold of so-called cookie cutter mile and a half tracks by creating something that more closely resembles the racing product at Daytona and Talladega each year."

This fan ain't happy.

"The stated goal from SMI director of operations Steve Swift and track president Brandon Hutchison is to break the mold of so-called cookie cutter mile and a half tracks by creating something that more closely resembles the racing product at Daytona and Talladega each year."

This fan ain't happy.
maybe move to casual fan :idunno:

Thought this was relevant to our discussion here the past few days

This crap is laughable. Drivers getting all huffy because they werent consulted about something thats none of their damn business. The fans arent happy because if their favorite driver shats on it they will too. I swear its frustrating watching these idiots cut their own throats at the pay window.

Daytona races are largely one lane freight trains until the final 25 laps. I see no contradiction in his statements
They ride in a line till the backstretch of the last lap and then make a divebomb move into 3 and it ends in a pileup/fireball/driver in the hospital

This fan ain't happy.
I agree 100%, I strongly dislike the so called racing at those places. Furthermore, Atlanta was one of my favorites before they restricted the engines. The problem is, Dega and Daytona are very popular. Popularity equals more money and they are in the money making business.
I've more or less accepted that Nascar is becoming something I no longer enjoy. As to whether or not the majority of fans do, I guess that's to be seen. I was pretty neutral on the road courses when there was 2, but now it seems like they run them all the time. I loved Bristol and they made one of those races into a dirt spectacle. I loved high speed slipping and sliding on tracks like Atlanta and they have done away with that too.
Ultimately if all these changes net them more fans $ it will be considered a win.

I agree 100%, I strongly dislike the so called racing at those places. Furthermore, Atlanta was one of my favorites before they restricted the engines. The problem is, Dega and Daytona are very popular. Popularity equals more money and they are in the money making business.
I've more or less accepted that Nascar is becoming something I no longer enjoy. As to whether or not the majority of fans do, I guess that's to be seen. I was pretty neutral on the road courses when there was 2, but now it seems like they run them all the time. I loved Bristol and they made one of those races into a dirt spectacle. I loved high speed slipping and sliding on tracks like Atlanta and they have done away with that too.
Ultimately if all these changes net them more fans $ it will be considered a win.
I agree with you on the road courses. NASCAR is kind of like me drinking beer when I am fishing. Don't know when to stop.

aw, poor pork chop. All of the big teams love the 1.5's, that is where the big money pays off the best.

This fan ain't happy.

The BEST way to make a non-cookie cutter 1 1/2 mile track, is don't make it a 1 1/2 mile quad oval track. Just like Texas, anything you do to that configuration is just a band aid. Either return it to its original layout, or cut it down and make something else out of it. This whole issue started because the genius Bruton Smith went and fixed something that wasn't broken in the first place.

Reactions: sdj
SMI doesn’t give a 🤬 what the drivers think or want.
This pretty much sums it up:
“…Speedway Motorsports director of operations Steve Swift explained on Tuesday that drivers were not consulted because their opinions differ from their intended target audience…”

SMI doesn’t give a 🤬 what the drivers think or want.
This pretty much sums it up:
“…Speedway Motorsports director of operations Steve Swift explained on Tuesday that drivers were not consulted because their opinions differ from their intended target audience…”
and that is a good thing. ;)

Jr ran the simulator and said it doesn't seem any different than the old track for the most part. Difference in the banking below. I don't see how this is going to make a hell of a lot of difference, but I'm not an expert like some people think they are.

1626031352431.png

Jr ran the simulator and said it doesn't seem any different than the old track for the most part. Difference in the banking below. I don't see how this is going to make a hell of a lot of difference, but I'm not an expert like some people think they are.

View attachment 56362
I’ll certainly take real driver opinions over armchair drivers, any day.

Jr ran the simulator and said it doesn't seem any different than the old track for the most part.
Where did he say he ran the sim for Atlanta’s new config?

Doesn’t make any sense at all. If they have new Atlanta in the sim, it’s just a guestimation because the new config hasn’t even broke ground yet. They have no idea what the track will feel like and there are more unknowns with the next gen car. On top of that, why would he get seat time as a retired driver? Him making that kind of statement would be pretty foolish.

Doesn’t make any sense at all. If they have new Atlanta in the sim, it’s just a guestimation because the new config hasn’t even broke ground yet. They have no idea what the track will feel like and there are more unknowns with the next gen car. On top of that, why would he get seat time as a retired driver? Him making that kind of statement would be pretty foolish.
How to say you don't understand computer modeling without saying you don't understand computer modeling. By your logic anything designed on a computer won't work.

How to say you don't understand computer modeling without saying you don't understand computer modeling. By your logic anything designed on a computer won't work.
I don't pay too much attention to most of it. I was teaching computer modeling back in the 90's, rapid prototype development, just in time manufacturing etc. The field hasn't done anything but get better since that time.

Junior is an iRacing executive now. I have zero doubt that he has run laps on the new Atlanta configuration. He doesn't need a reason to try it out other than his own curiosity to try it on a whim.

Junior is an iRacing executive now. I have zero doubt that he has run laps on the new Atlanta configuration. He doesn't need a reason to try it out other than his own curiosity to try it on a whim.
I don’t consider iRacing to be a simulator, it’s a “simulation experience” video game. Timmy Hill won a Cup iRacing event on a wobbly desk and a swivel office chair. The iRacing NextGen car can go 180mph in reverse and race in a pack that way. If iRacing is the “simulator” he ran the config with, then everything I said in my previous post is still true. Zero questions can be answered using that platform.

I don’t consider iRacing to be a simulator, it’s a “simulation experience” video game. Timmy Hill won a Cup iRacing event on a wobbly desk and a swivel office chair. The iRacing NextGen car can go 180mph in reverse and race in a pack that way. If iRacing is the “simulator” he ran the config with, then everything I said in my previous post is still true. Zero questions can be answered using that platform.
I'm not disagreeing with the overall vibe of your post, but when it was first announced that they were changing Atlanta they literally said in the press release that they worked with the iRacing team during the development/decision making process. So that's definitely what Dale was in on.

Reactions: Pat
Back
Top Bottom