Brad Keselowski - Official Thread

Brad K's latest blog entry... an interesting account of his relationship with Joey Logano...

The first time I heard of Joey Logano, it was from the Prospect List.

If you don’t know what the Prospect List is, it’s basically like ESPN’s Mel Kiper NFL draft board, only for NASCAR. Back in the day, when Joey and I were just getting started, Joey was always near the top of the Prospect List, always number one, two or three.

I, on the other hand, was never on it.

So I’d always see his name on there, and I definitely was jealous, mostly because I couldn’t even crack the List, let alone get to the top of it. And if I’m being honest, I definitely felt a bit of animosity toward him, being someone who wanted to beat the best, and be the best.

At a race in 2008, Joey was making his first NASCAR Xfinity Series start, and in practice, he pulled out in front of me when I was right in the middle of running a simulated qualifying lap. I was going really fast, and he drove out right in front of me at half speed. I had to lift and slow down, and it ruined my whole lap. So I gave him the finger.

That was how I met Joey Logano. [ much more here ]

Bob Pockrass article in USA Today...

Opinion: Brad Keselowski's visionary 3-D business reflects his racing ideals

The typical go-tos for NASCAR drivers looking to invest their money often center around things natural for their interests such as car dealerships or car restoration. Some dabble in marketing or entertainment management companies.

The ones who really want to take a chance invest in or operate a race team.

Brad Keselowski owned a race team until 2017 and might again one day. However, his current eight-figure investment focuses on an industry that could anoint him as the most savvy NASCAR driver-turned-businessman ever or make him look like a fool wasting boatloads of cash diving into the unknown.

Wouldn’t Brad Keselowski Ford and selling cars be much easier than Keselowski Advanced Manufacturing and trying to ride the potential wave of advanced machinery using 3-D printing technology?

“Probably,” Keselowski said. “That’s not who I am. You have to be true to who you are.”
“He’s a little bit of a disruptor,” said his car owner, Roger Penske, one of the nation’s most accomplished businessmen. “He likes things that are changing. The racing, certainly on a technical side, 3-D is where people are going.

“He saw that as a place that he could invest his money. He’s got a separate business. He’s thinking long term, too, which certainly makes a lot of sense. I applaud him for it, really.”

While racing could provide plenty of clients, Keselowski has focused on the defense and aerospace fields with hopes to expand into medical. During the recent three-race swing to the West Coast, he visited with companies about potential projects.

Link to full article:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...wski-nascar-3-d-printing-business/3290227002/

I wish Brad had discussed *why* they pitted at that last caution, rather than staying out, starting P1 or P2 depending on whether the 22 pitted or not, and trying to hold off everyone for 15 laps with old tires.

IMO, staying out is a better strategy *if* the 15 laps goes green the whole way, but new tires is better if another yellow comes out. There have been races before where Paul Wolfe decided... we probably can't win the race if it goes green the whole way, so lets gamble for another yellow. They have won before on that gamble. I'd like to hear if that was the thinking today. (Paul and Brad are almost always willing to pass up a likely P2 or P3 finish to get a shot at a win.)

Kez 2019 Kansas 2.jpg

Kez is 'my driver' and I'll admit that I'm biased... But I thought Brad's finish line interview at Kansas was just about perfect. His heartfelt tribute to Mike Mittler was front and center. I also love giving Old Glory a ride along for the victory lap burnout. Career win #30... heading for 50... in my opinion.

KANSAS CITY, Kan. -- Brad Keselowski had planned to head to St. Louis after the NASCAR Cup Series race at Kansas Speedway to visit Mike Mittler, a longtime Truck Series owner who helped him early in his career and who had been battling cancer the past couple years.

But after Mittler died Friday night at the age of 67, Keselowski headed to victory lane instead, capturing the checkered flag Saturday night and dedicating the win to his friend and mentor.

"He helped a lot of guys in their career. Just a huge loss for the NASCAR community," said Keselowski, who held off Alex Bowman and a charging field in overtime for his third win this season.

"One of those unsung heroes," Keselowski added. "Gave his whole life to this sport." Mittler would have liked the hardscrabble way Keselowski won at Kansas.... (Link to full race report at ESPN.com)

View attachment 40348

Kez is 'my driver' and I'll admit that I'm biased... But I thought Brad's finish line interview at Kansas was just about perfect. His heartfelt tribute to Mike Mittler was front and center. I also love giving Old Glory a ride along for the victory lap burnout. Career win #30... heading for 50... in my opinion.

KANSAS CITY, Kan. -- Brad Keselowski had planned to head to St. Louis after the NASCAR Cup Series race at Kansas Speedway to visit Mike Mittler, a longtime Truck Series owner who helped him early in his career and who had been battling cancer the past couple years.

But after Mittler died Friday night at the age of 67, Keselowski headed to victory lane instead, capturing the checkered flag Saturday night and dedicating the win to his friend and mentor.

"He helped a lot of guys in their career. Just a huge loss for the NASCAR community," said Keselowski, who held off Alex Bowman and a charging field in overtime for his third win this season.

"One of those unsung heroes," Keselowski added. "Gave his whole life to this sport." Mittler would have liked the hardscrabble way Keselowski won at Kansas.... (Link to full race report at ESPN.com)

I like him. I like the way he approaches the sport, and has an appreciation for the sport's past and present. I like the American flag tribute. He is a very smart dude. He moves the needle. He is not vanilla.

Eeeek. Don't think Mr honeybadger would be long for this board. BK is on a roll.

Last edited:
Eeeek. Don't think Mr honeybadger would be long for this board. BK is on a roll.

Brads my guy but this is dumb. Keep your mouth shut. You have enough to worry about after practice. And no, you’re not an athlete. Lots of hand/eye skill and endurance, but body isn’t doing majority of the work.

Brads my guy but this is dumb. Keep your mouth shut. You have enough to worry about after practice. And no, you’re not an athlete. Lots of hand/eye skill and endurance, but body isn’t doing majority of the work.
A lot of overreactions here. Brad said "8 minutes." 8 minutes. Two words! Nothing wrong with that. Good for Brad. He didn't do a damn thing wrong here, other than say, "thats all you could last in a hot car?"

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

A lot of overreactions here. Brad said "8 minutes." 8 minutes. Two words! Nothing wrong with that. Good for Brad. He didn't do a damn thing wrong here, other than say, "thats all you could last in a hot car?"

I hear you---and I really like Brad---but was that Mathieu's point? Find a different context to make your point. That wasn't the one IMO.

A lot of overreactions here. Brad said "8 minutes." 8 minutes. Two words! Nothing wrong with that. Good for Brad. He didn't do a damn thing wrong here.

Big time. Most had no clue what he was even referring to. Probably still not the best time for BK to be going in on Twitter after yesterday lol. I don't even think Brad realized he was, until he ran into easily triggered NFL'er.

Brad should make a legitimate donation to the worthy Cause; and while not apologizing, make it abundantly clear that he did not intend to distract from the PSA message. imho

If Brad wants to take on the NFL -- that's his business. :rolleyes:

I hear you---and I really like Brad---but was that Mathieu's point? Find a different context to make your point. That wasn't the one IMO.
It wasn't. But Brad's comment doesn't marginalize Methieu's point, it just upsets people. It was a reactionary comment by Brad, and while I get it isn't the right context..my point is...who cares? Mathieu's point was for a good cause, Brad's comment doesn't take anything away from that, nor does it marginalize the safety issue of leaving a child or a pet in a hot car. I get the reaction, but it really isn't a big deal.

Big time. Most had no clue what he was even referring to. Probably still not the best time for BK to be going in on Twitter after yesterday lol. I don't even think Brad realized he was, until he ran into easily triggered NFL'er.
It was poor timing, but Brad wasn't marginalizing his post. Just using it to make a point.

It was poor timing, but Brad wasn't marginalizing his post. Just using it to make a point.

Yep. Went over Mathieu's head, imagine he thought BK was taking a shot at him for being out of shape.

Never apologize to the outrage mobs. They're nothing but a bunch of sad losers who are so pathetic they can only feel validated by taking the moral high ground on non-existent issues on the internet. Apologizing just fuels them.

It wasn't. But Brad's comment doesn't marginalize Methieu's point, it just upsets people. It was a reactionary comment by Brad, and while I get it isn't the right context..my point is...who cares? Mathieu's point was for a good cause, Brad's comment doesn't take anything away from that, nor does it marginalize the safety issue of leaving a child or a pet in a hot car. I get the reaction, but it really isn't a big deal.

I took it as nothing more than playful trash talk.

My bad....it wasn’t BK that said something about athleticism and drivers. True, don’t know what HIS intention with the “ 8 minutes” comment was.

This is incredibly false. An abhorrent level of ignorance.
Just because they have endurance of the heat and g’s, and great eye/hand/ass coordination, doesn’t make one an athlete. The effort exerted that overcomes their competition is mostly from the car.

Didn’t Byron learn his craft through a video game? I mean, if you can get cred through a VG and go pro from that? Wow

Just because they have endurance of the heat and g’s, and great eye/hand/ass coordination, doesn’t make one an athlete. The effort exerted that overcomes their competition is mostly from the car.

Didn’t Byron learn his craft through a video game? I mean, if you can get cred through a VG and go pro from that? Wow
These drivers shed ~15lbs of water weight every race with a sustained BPM of around 130 for several hours at a time. Which equals to twice as many heart beats as olympic marathon runners.

Do this 36 weekends out of the year.

Sure, not athletes though.

These drivers shed ~15lbs of water weight every race with a sustained BPM of around 130 for several hours at a time. Which equals to twice as many heart beats as olympic marathon runners.

Do this 36 weekends out of the year.

Sure, not athletes though.
People work 40+ hours a week shedding lbs of water weight a day at high BPM. Does that make them athletes? Daily.....not just a few hours.

The highBPM is due to Adrenalin. Not exertion.

Pretty sure what ever Brad does or says, his core fan base of Ten fans will hang with him.

As far as 3D printing, its been around for Forty years.

You can have your own opinion but you can’t have your own facts.
Where yours? They sweat a lot and have a high HR? What strength? Danica and other women can compete equally. Agility? Nope. Ever look at some of the guys physiques? Tony Stewart. See Brad play basketball? Both are cup champions and Tony was competitive through his fattest years. Endurance? Yeah, they can endure high G’s and temps. With cool suits and braces for their bodies and head. Jesus, they are probably less physically tested than the drivers in 70’s.

Yeah but it’s fun to argue. I’m not saying some of these guys are not athletes....just doesn’t take a lot of athleticism to compete in the cup series.

I understand where you're coming from. I've seen discussion of tournament poker player's being considered athletes since a good portion of professionals have a workout and diet regime, and playing at peak function for multiple days consecutive 12-14 hour days requires endurance and stamina, both mentally and physically. Are some in good enough shape that it gives them an edge? Yes. Are all of them what I would consider an athlete? Hell No.

Not that (that) directly compares to NASCAR driver's, because it doesn't. Just an example of levels of athleticism, of what some may deem an "athlete".

I understand where you're coming from. I've seen discussion of tournament poker player's being considered athletes since a good portion of professionals have a workout and diet regime, and playing at peak function for multiple days consecutive 12-14 hour days requires endurance and stamina, both mentally and physically. Are some in good enough shape that it gives them an edge? Yes. Are all of them what I would consider an athlete? Hell No.

Not that (that) directly compares to NASCAR driver's, because it doesn't. Just an example of levels of athleticism, of what some may deem an "athlete".

Good example. I can see a diet and athletic training helping them in their craft. Heck, about 4 hours and I’m done. Usually drunk too so my skills have deteriorated quit a bit as well. Didn’t start with much to begin with...lol

Back
Top Bottom