BREAKING: Majority owners explore sale of NASCAR

With ticket sales declining, viewership down and sponsors leaving the sport left and right.. Ive heard the France family is putting it up for a pretty reasonable price.. and with 'no interest'.

happy-ba-dum-tss.png

Last edited:
regardless of what happens this is good for nascar, at the current pace we were going there was not going to be a nascar in five years and a new ownership group is needed to at the very least try to fix it.

the two biggest changes that must happen is better racing, these gen 6 cars with tapered spacer, high downforce, splitter race like utter garbage. Also the removal of the gimmicks like stage racing and the "playoffs need to go, all it does is drive away long term fans and not bringing in new ones despite what Brian France and his delusions think.

I heard comcast is the favorite to win but me personally is hoping Liberty Media buys NASCAR
Most people started watching racing at local tracks. They ran heats and then the main.
So what is so bad about stage racing? It is the same thing really and the biggest advantage is that the drivers can no longer coast for the first 3/4 of the race. Lust look how well the dominating #48 team is doing under this format.

The drivers should buy it, Dale Jr. could probably buy it on his own. Have Jr. become Nascar president and see it skyrocket in popularity, being run by the drivers and not suits.

I haven't commented on this subject because if they are looking to sell, what exactly are they selling? Keep in mind, selling "NASCAR" could means all kinds of things.

I haven't commented on this subject because if they are looking to sell, what exactly are they selling? Keep in mind, selling "NASCAR" could means all kinds of things.
The sanctioning body, the organization that sets and enforces the rules, sanctions the races, and holds the contracts for TV, media, series, and sponsorships. NOT the separate company that owns the tracks.

The drivers should buy it, Dale Jr. could probably buy it on his own. Have Jr. become Nascar president and see it skyrocket in popularity, being run by the drivers and not suits.
If Junior liquidated all he owns, he would still not have a 30% down payment. They are asking 3-8 BILLION I would think at 3 you get Nascar and at 8 you get all the tracks as well.
Nascar has been forced into this situation in order to settle Brian's bar bill at Whiskey River.

Co-op grocery markets are cool. I'm sure operating the world's second largest motorsports entity is pretty much the same thing.

If Junior liquidated all he owns, he would still not have a 30% down payment. They are asking 3-8 BILLION I would think at 3 you get Nascar and at 8 you get all the tracks as well.
Nascar has been forced into this situation in order to settle Brian's bar bill at Whiskey River.

Second statement contradicts the firts.

Agreed. I honestly don't know if it will be good/bad, or will it happen/not happen. At this point I'll take a wait and see attitude.
Another opinion from money side here.
https://www.frontstretch.com/2018/0...king-down-a-nascar-sale-that-wont-come-cheap/
good one. That writer has done his homework, and the figures don't lie. I read a few days ago how much the UFC sold for a few days ago and they don't own nothing but blue sky, like most of the stick n ball teams. So it would take a bundle to buy Nascar lock stock and barrel.

That can't be right. If it was, Jr. could just swap him even-stevens.

Everything that Peter D. Lorenzo said is true. Some people just don't want to believe it. Turning your back when your house is on fire will not make it stop burning.

Also no company is going to buy just Nascar. That and a dollar will get you a soda at McDonald's. A company needs to buy Nascar and the tracks because right now the tracks get the lion's share of the TV money. And the TV money is the only reason ISC and SMI are showing and profit.
If the Frances can get someone to buy Nascar and not want the tracks they will be the best shisters in the history of the world!

I had no idea there were so many mergers and acquisitions lawyers on the forum.

Tracks get their TV checks from NASCAR ... covered by contracts. This and a lot of other information indicating NASCAR’s value to potential buyers is easy to access.

Yes the tracks get their TV Checks from Nascar.
But it does not take a brain surgeon to figure out the way Nascar is now set up. The Frances control most of the tracks and they as Nascar control the allotment of TV money to the tracks.
Really surprising that all the new tracks built since 2000 are all owned by France/ISC and all this happened at the same time the TV coverage was consolidated.
I tip my hat to the Frances because they are a money making machine.
Example: As they were telling Roger Penske he could not have Verizon logos or colors on his cars due the Nextel deal.
Nascar radio on Siruisxm; which is produced by MRN, owned by the France family. Had guests at the time call in on the Verizon hotline. France/MRN Verizon money good. France/Nascar Verizon not allowed.
And if they sell Nascar and keep the tracks; as I said it will be genius. You be guaranteed that in the sale agreement the allotment of TV will not change till a new rights contract is written.

Yes the tracks get their TV Checks from Nascar.
But it does not take a brain surgeon to figure out the way Nascar is now set up. The Frances control most of the tracks and they as Nascar control the allotment of TV money to the tracks.
Really surprising that all the new tracks built since 2000 are all owned by France/ISC and all this happened at the same time the TV coverage was consolidated.
I tip my hat to the Frances because they are a money making machine.
Example: As they were telling Roger Penske he could not have Verizon logos or colors on his cars due the Nextel deal.
Nascar radio on Siruisxm; which is produced by MRN, owned by the France family. Had guests at the time call in on the Verizon hotline. France/MRN Verizon money good. France/Nascar Verizon not allowed.
And if they sell Nascar and keep the tracks; as I said it will be genius. You be guaranteed that in the sale agreement the allotment of TV will not change till a new rights contract is written.

Nextel/Sprint not wanting competitors involved has nothing to do with NASCAR though.

3-8 Billion for a sanctiong body that has no physical assets? Haha. I can see why there would be no interest.

Gonna be honest....feels way to much like CART before it blew up.

3-8 Billion for a sanctiong body that has no physical assets? Haha. I can see why there would be no interest.

They have plenty of assets, those tracks don't make anything without a NASCAR race. Name alone is worth $1 billion.

Too big of a brand not to go for a good sum of money, plus the TV contract gives several years to get things pointed in whatever direction they want. Where else would all the team owners go?

Too big of a brand not to go for a good sum of money, plus the TV contract gives several years to get things pointed in whatever direction they want. Where else would all the team owners go?
I agree with FL. Actually, I think Comcast would be a good match with Nascar. Thinking about Liberty Media versus CVC as owners of F1, I believe a large media company would likely be better than a private equity firm in terms of being beneficial to Nascar as a sport. [Also, I know a couple of principals of Texas Pacific Group... very nice guys, but all private equity guys tend to see their investments in one way only. When TPG finally sold Ducati to an Italian company, I drank Champagne in my garage to celebrate.]

But as an idealist and a fan, I wonder if Rob Kauffman has the Canadian teachers' pension fund on his speed dial? They own a sizable piece of MotoGP as a long term investment. Or the Texas teachers' pension fund? They used to own a chunk of F1 and maybe still do. I'm sure his speed dial has some very interesting managers of institutional portfolios...:idunno:

I agree with FL. Actually, I think Comcast would be a good match with Nascar. Thinking about Liberty Media versus CVC as owners of F1, I believe a large media company would likely be better than a private equity firm in terms of being beneficial to Nascar as a sport. [Also, I know a couple of principals of Texas Pacific Group... very nice guys, but all private equity guys tend to see their investments in one way only. When TPG finally sold Ducati to an Italian company, I drank Champagne in my garage to celebrate.

I agree in the abstract about a media company vs. private equity slash-and-burners, but I find it difficult to get enthused about Comcast. I've known many people who have worked for or with their traditional core cable provider business who have provided insight into just how thoughtlessly that business is run. Now that they've become this much larger colossus that gobbled up NBC, Universal, and other media assets in the past decade, there appear to be several divisions there that are dubiously run. I do like aspects of NBC Sports though, which is a small sliver of the company. So it is possible that with independence and the right management in place, any division can be successful.

Verizon competed directly with Cup sponsor Nextel. Nextel's contract specified no competitors as new sponsors (AT&T was grandfathered in but could not change teams or get back in if it got out).
No other telecommunications company was sponsoring MRN. While it is owned by the France family, MRN is not part of NASCAR. There was no conflict with Verizon's involvement in MRN.
Keep the various parts of the puzzle separate. The Frances own many different companies. There may be contractual ties between those companies, but they're not one monolithic block. Obligations of one company don't apply to the others.
I recommend a basic accounting course.
No, a basic marketing course. People pay the Kardashians millions every year for the use of their names. (just an example of people getting paid without physical assets.) If you think Dr. Dre knows squat about speaker design, I have some high-priced ear buds you might be interesed in.
I find it difficult to get enthused about Comcast. ... there appear to be several divisions there that are dubiously run.
Sounds like a perfect fit to me. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
That can't be right. If it was, Jr. could just swap him even-stevens.
But is Junior sole proprietor? Me thinks Junior gets a slice for the use of his name,
just like Don Cherry Bars in Ontario, Canada.
Physical assets?? They have plenty of assets which includes all their contracts. Not included would be ownership of ISC properties.

Back
Top Bottom