BREAKING: Majority owners explore sale of NASCAR

more cable ransom. If Nascar went over the air, I know I would be gone from the higher tier at the very least.

more cable ransom. If Nascar went over the air, I know I would be gone from the higher tier at the very least.
I dont have cable anymore. Got a Firestick, loaded Kodi on it then put Terrarium on it for TV series and Movies, and Boom Boom TV for Live tv. Has every sports channel you can think of for less then 10 bucks a month. So in total I pay 50 bucks for Internet and 10 bucks for everything I want and need on TV. No contracts, no boxes no fees

Wouldn't be the first time Comcast was involved in sports, they still own the Philadelphia Flyers and were long time owners of the 76ers.

I may get around to looking into these technologies when the Dish contract runs out next year. I'll have to get Darling Bride to make a list of what she looks at most often.

It might be good to have Comcast as the new owners. They have a lot of northern exposure and could really help shed the country bumpkin/racist stereotype that people outside the sport think about when they think NASCAR.

That land the speedway was on is much to valuable to to sit dormant for most of the year.
Well yeah, but in the ludicrous idea that Disney buy NASCAR you would assume they would have wanted a race at their track. But with all the land Disney owns they picked a horrible spot to put that track.

France family may sell only a stake in NASCAR
https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com...Leagues-and-Governing-Bodies/NASCAR-sale.aspx

As speculation continues around the France family’s future in NASCAR, many sources envision the family selling only a stake of their holdings and staying in the sport long term, versus a full sale.

SportsBusiness Journal first reported in February that the sanctioning body could be up for sale, and Reuters reported in early May that the Frances hired Goldman Sachs to explore a possible sale.

Industry executives across the sport have said in recent weeks that the amount most commonly being talked about being sold is in the 40 to 49 percent range. Whether a path to control would be included in such a deal was unclear.

The Frances’ involvement in NASCAR is led by Chairman and CEO Brian France, Vice Chairman Jim France and International Speedway Corp. CEO Lesa France Kennedy. The France family has controlled the sport for 70 years over three generations.

Sources could not rule out the possibility that the family could still sell its entire holdings, and some are skeptical that NASCAR can find a buyer without providing majority control and the final say on decision making.

NASCAR has refused to comment or make the France family, or other NASCAR executives, available to discuss the matter. Sources interviewed for this story are not involved in any potential sale offers.

The number of possible suitors that have been pitched on the sale is unclear, but two companies that are consistently being pegged as potential players are Comcast and Chinese auto company Zhejiang Geely Holding Group. Comcast is seen as the most natural buyer, given its myriad links to the sport and the fact that it already owes NASCAR several billion dollars in media rights by the end of 2024. Through a subsidiary, Geely is building several tracks in China and also has invested in motorsports ventures in the U.S.

Comcast declined to comment, while a spokesperson for Geely said last week that its executives “don’t publicly comment on any negotiations, past present or future.”

There has also been talk of interest from private equity firms, but no names have emerged.

Among the most frequently asked questions is whether the France family is also looking at selling its controlling stake in track promoter and real estate owner ISC. Most in the sport say they expect an ISC stake would be included in a sale to make the deal more attractive to buyers.

One source said NASCAR is valuing a 40 percent stake in only the sanctioning body at $2 billion, which would imply a total value of $5 billion. By comparison, Formula One sold in 2016 for a combined $8 billion between equity and assumed debt, but no tracks were included in the sale.

If true, it just shows that they have learned NOTHING from the sale of part of ISC. Once you no longer own 100%, you can't just do whatever you want to do, or whatever you NEED to do whether it's the right thing to do or not. It has always been my opinion that absolute control is VASTLY underrated, certainly more valuable than a few more dollars when you already have a sizeable fortune.

One source said NASCAR is valuing a 40 percent stake in only the sanctioning body at $2 billion, which would imply a total value of $5 billion. By comparison, Formula One sold in 2016 for a combined $8 billion between equity and assumed debt, but no tracks were included in the sale.
I find it interesting that NASCAR has an estimated value that strong in relation to F1.

In my filthy rich fantasies I know for sure I wouldn't want to own anything less than a controlling interest in NASCAR. Buy buying in, it's clear that the new owner would make changes to increase the value of their investment, not stand idly by and watch the status quo.

I find it interesting that NASCAR has an estimated value that strong in relation to F1.

According to Gene Haas it only cost 5 million less a year to run a NASCAR team compared to his F1 team. NASCAR team - $ 20 million, F1 Team - $ 25 million Maybe that's were it comes from. LOL

Maybe you can run a Haas F1 team on 25 million, but you're not running a race winning team for anywhere close to that. Lewis Hamilton's salary ALONE is more than that.

I have a box with Kodi on it as well. I have a hard time figuring it out and they sure are no help.
The governments in both countries sure went after them and they had to kill 3rd party stuff.
I will probably go back to it come winter.

I have a box with Kodi on it as well. I have a hard time figuring it out and they sure are no help.
The governments in both countries sure went after them and they had to kill 3rd party stuff.
I will probably go back to it come winter.
If you have a question I'll try to help you find what you are looking for. A lot of that stuff goes away and comes back renamed.

According to Gene Haas it only cost 5 million less a year to run a NASCAR team compared to his F1 team. NASCAR team - $ 20 million, F1 Team - $ 25 million Maybe that's were it comes from. LOL
Over a 21-race F1 season, that averages out to $1.2 million per race for a mid-tier team.

Over a 38-race Cup season (counting 1 Duel and only the All-Star main event), it's roughly $525,000 per race for a top-tier team; well under half of what each F1 race costs.

$125M maybe. No one's running an F1 team on $25M unless they want to be 10 seconds off of the pace.
Yeah, I agree. I've lost the links due to a computer crash, but about two years ago Gene Haas gave several interviews that included budget numbers.

His F1 budget was $111 million IIRC. That's for 2 cars and 19-20 races, all costs included. (Haas does not have a high-priced F1 driver.)

For Nascar, he said the cost to field a championship-caliber team was roughly $15 million per year EXCLUDING cost of the driver.

Separately, he said his Nascar team budget was modestly lower than his F1 budget, all costs included. That would include driver costs for Tony Stewart, Kevin Harvick, Kurt Busch, and Danica Patrick, IIRC. Nascar would be double the cars and double the races for a little less money than his mid-field F1 team.

Sources: Comcast no longer interested in NASCAR stake
https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com...gues-and-Governing-Bodies/NASCAR-Comcast.aspx

Comcast is no longer actively discussing buying an equity stake in NASCAR, according to multiple sources close to the sport, raising the prospect of the France family remaining fully in control of the sport for the foreseeable future.

The potential of the family selling a stake in NASCAR for the first time in its 70-year history has become a major storyline of this season.

Comcast has always been viewed as a strong candidate to buy a stake, given its ties to the sport, from media rights to series naming rights. The company is said to have seriously explored the idea over the last year, and was consistently mentioned as a suitor for most of this year. But multiple industry sources said last week that it appears that negotiations between Comcast and NASCAR ended without a deal for now.

This comes amid Comcast’s $40 billion takeover of Sky, which media analysts said is the major priority for the company over all other possible acquisitions.

NASCAR declined to comment. Comcast had not responded to a request for comment by press time.

“It just seems more unlikely than it was maybe a month ago before they put the big number down on Sky, and I think that’s really going to be where the corporate focus is,” said Chris Bevilacqua, co-founder of Bevilacqua Helfant Ventures, a media consulting firm. “All that has to get absorbed, so it’s just tough to see both of those things happening the way the NASCAR deal might have been discussed over the last six months. This is a material change in the whole use of capital and where their priorities and top-line objectives are. In not even two years or so they’ll have to negotiate a renewal with the Premier League. ... And the reality of where [NASCAR] is in the pecking order may have moved in the last month or so.”

Other potential suitors that have been named by industry sources over the last year included Chinese auto company Zhejiang Geely Holding Group, which is spending heavily to become a major player in car sales and motorsports, but talk about Geely has subsided in recent months amid rising trade tensions between the U.S. and China.

The deal structure that has been most commonly talked about was the Frances selling an initial 40 to 49 percent stake that would include a path to ultimate control.

Bevilacqua said that for Comcast, it made sense for the company to look into the possibility of acquiring NASCAR because the company already owes the sanctioning body several billion dollars anyway for NBC Sports’ media rights deal that lasts through 2024.

“While I’m not privy to the internal deliberations at NBC, it would seem to me they may have some leverage here because the property hasn’t performed the way they expected a $4 billion investment to perform,” Bevilacqua said, alluding to declining television ratings. “Perhaps they had some leverage with the ability to reduce the amount they’re paying, and in lieu of that maybe they would take some strategic equity as that would align their collective interests.”

Nonetheless, Bevilacqua noted that the $40 billion shelled out on Sky is enough to change any media company’s calculus.

"One source said NASCAR is valuing a 40 percent stake in only the sanctioning body at $2 billion, which would imply a total value of $5 billion." [quote from another article posted earlier in this thread]

When NASCAR went hunting for a new title sponsor to replace Sprint, they said they expected $100 million/year. Reportedly, they ended up settling for somewhere around $20 million/year from Monster. And that was a last-minute deal, seemingly done in desperation. So I would take this $5 billion estimated value with a grain of salt. :p

"One source said NASCAR is valuing a 40 percent stake in only the sanctioning body at $2 billion, which would imply a total value of $5 billion." [quote from another article posted earlier in this thread]

When NASCAR went hunting for a new title sponsor to replace Sprint, they said they expected $100 million/year. Reportedly, they ended up settling for somewhere around $20 million/year from Monster. And that was a last-minute deal, seemingly done in desperation. So I would take this $5 billion estimated value with a grain of salt. :p

Hey maybe after I win the mega millions this week, I can buy NASCAR!!!!

Back
Top Bottom