BREAKING: Majority owners explore sale of NASCAR

"One source said NASCAR is valuing a 40 percent stake in only the sanctioning body at $2 billion, which would imply a total value of $5 billion." [quote from another article posted earlier in this thread]

When NASCAR went hunting for a new title sponsor to replace Sprint, they said they expected $100 million/year. Reportedly, they ended up settling for somewhere around $20 million/year from Monster. And that was a last-minute deal, seemingly done in desperation. So I would take this $5 billion estimated value with a grain of salt. :p
I'm valuing my 2016 Ram 1500 at $300,000. I haven't received any offers yet but I expect to sell at full price any day now.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Plunking down billions for something I had no control over would be tough. If I ever get 2 billion I’ll let you know for sure though.

"“While I’m not privy to the internal deliberations at NBC, it would seem to me they may have some leverage here because the property hasn’t performed the way they expected a $4 billion investment to perform,” Bevilacqua said, ... "

That's interesting. I assume that refers to the TV rights.

"“While I’m not privy to the internal deliberations at NBC, it would seem to me they may have some leverage here because the property hasn’t performed the way they expected a $4 billion investment to perform,” Bevilacqua said, ... "

That's interesting. I assume that refers to the TV rights.

Here was my issue with them selling off to Comcast. Comcast will undervalue tf out of nascar because of the downward trend and how much both companies have lost on this deal.

There's an arguement that the networks haven't sold the product very well either though but who would acknowledge that?

The price tag on NASCAR’s broadcast rights seemed high to me at the time given NASCAR was well into its state of decline.

However I figured the execs at NBC and FOX knew a lot more than I did so therefore they knew what they were doing. At the time charging cable and satellite providers more for being able to carry NBCS and FS1 made sense as did using NASCAR to help launch the fledgling networks.

IDK how it has all worked out but if the networks are unhappy with NASCAR they have no one to blame but themselves.

The price tag on NASCAR’s broadcast rights seemed high to me at the time given NASCAR was well into its state of decline.

However I figured the execs at NBC and FOX knew a lot more than I did so therefore they knew what they were doing. At the time charging cable and satellite providers more for being able to carry NBCS and FS1 made sense as did using NASCAR to help launch the fledgling networks.

IDK how it has all worked out but if the networks are unhappy with NASCAR they have no one to blame but themselves.

It would appear it hasn't worked out so well. Judging by the quote highlighted above, as well as the info I posted here:

https://racing-forums.com/threads/nascar-death-bed.59026/page-35#post-1456687

Greg Maffei, CEO of Liberty Media Corporation, which paid $8 billion to acquire F1:

"We like motor sports. If Nascar were available, we’d certainly take a look..."

Maffei has a number of interesting thoughts about trends in the tech and media sectors. ( Link )

Greg Maffei, CEO of Liberty Media Corporation, which paid $8 billion to acquire F1:

Maffei has a number of interesting thoughts about trends in the tech and media sectors. ( Link )

If they could pick up Nascar at a discounted rate I’m sure they would be interested

I bet they like Formula 1. Live F1 viewership grew nearly 70% over the five years of NBC’s contract and last year alone its Total Audience Delivery rose 14% on 2016 to 558,000. Yes, a 1/4 of NASCAR's but the key idea is that the fan base in the USA is GROWING.

Very interesting interview with some candid answers (for a CEO). I'm glad there are large media companies that "like motor sports", that is heartening. As he mentions, Amazon is aggressively entering the live sports world, as they have made a bid for the RSNs mentioned in the article.

I'm confused by the final portion of the interview regarding exclusivity windows, at least as it would relate to live sports. Live in sports broadcasting is everything. Sports and news are the two types of content that are mostly immune from the time shifted viewing trend. Twelve hours after a sporting event, the rebroadcast or archival rights are virtually worthless by comparison.

I bet they like Formula 1. Live F1 viewership grew nearly 70% over the five years of NBC’s contract and last year alone its Total Audience Delivery rose 14% on 2016 to 558,000. Yes, a 1/4 of NASCAR's but the key idea is that the fan base in the USA is GROWING.
It will never reach NASCAR numbers, F1 racing is the most boring in the world.

This is the lame argument he wants to have. Pit NASCAR against something else and try to make it look bad. I'm content to say I enjoy NASCAR racing, I enjoy F1 racing, I enjoy many other forms of racing.

It looks like JJ is having a lot of fun at the Bahrain GP. Both worlds benefit from the other, they aren't in competition.

This is the lame argument he wants to have. Pit NASCAR against something else and try to make it look bad. I'm content to say I enjoy NASCAR racing, I enjoy F1 racing, I enjoy many other forms of racing.

It looks like JJ is having a lot of fun at the Bahrain GP. Both worlds benefit from the other, they aren't in competition.
I just cant watch it, the technology is phenominal but the competition is non existent

That's interesting. I guess that means billionaries like Gene Haas seek boring places to pour their money into or something? Psst, NASCAR is boring to lots of people too. That's why the fan base left and new fans aren't tuning in.

That's interesting. I guess that means billionaries like Gene Haas seek boring places to pour their money into or something? Psst, NASCAR is boring to lots of people too. That's why the fan base left and new fans aren't tuning in.
Haas is International business, thats how he can justify that expense, pssst, NASCAR fans base still draws between 2.5 - 5 million per ( 10-15 million Daytona 500) race on TV which dwarfs any other form of motorsport in the USA

Psst, the world wide TV audience of that "boring sport" is 350+ million. That dwarfs NASCAR's by a HUGE amount.

Reactions: sdj
LMAO at the lawnmower engines. The V6s are pretty badass IMHO and I've honestly gotten to love the sound of them. Back in the 80s' the tech wasn't as prevalent and there were inline 4 BMW engines in F1 as well.

All the engine sounds in racing are glorious to me IMHO.

Psst, the world wide TV audience of that "boring sport" is 350+ million. That dwarfs NASCAR's by a HUGE amount.
psssst, we are talking USA. Those dumbasses over there think Soccer is better then football.

LMAO at the lawnmower engines. The V6s are pretty badass IMHO and I've honestly gotten to love the sound of them. Back in the 80s' the tech wasn't as prevalent and there were inline 4 BMW engines in F1 as well.

All the engine sounds in racing are glorious to me IMHO.

F-1 was concerned about the sound when they were introduced, they pale in comparison to the screaming normally aspirated v-8s

Hamilton seems to agree, the cars sound like crap

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/motor...ars-sound-terrible-and-the-sport-isnt-winning

Last I heard he was a multi-time champion of the sport

You're having so much fun, you should really start a "NASCAR vs. F1 d**k measuring contest" thread.

In terms of the thread topic, Steve Phelps was asked at the "State of the Sport" news conference and refused to address whether NASCAR is still for sale, the NASCAR / ISC merger, and any possible purchase of SMI. No comment on all three, aside from the "Lesa and Jim are doubling down" line. That likely means that everything is indeed still on the table.

Haas is International business, thats how he can justify that expense, pssst, NASCAR fans base still draws between 2.5 - 5 million per ( 10-15 million Daytona 500) race on TV which dwarfs any other form of motorsport in the USA

Less than 10 million watched the Daytona 500 this year and I think it has been 5-6 years since it had 15 million lookers on

psssst, we are talking USA. Those dumbasses over there think Soccer is better then football.
It’s been proven The UEFA Champions League Final is the most watched sporting event in the world. The World Cup Final....well I’ll just leave this here.....https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...er-bowl/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.66ae839d94f4 it’s dated but to give you an idea. I hate when people take a dump on soccer, it’s an awesome sport. As for F1 vs NASCAR I enjoy both, different forms of racing I don’t see the need to compare. I just enjoy both equally, however Mercedes dominance has dampened my viewing experience a bit but due to the fact Ferrari just can’t get anything going with Vettel as its lead driver. They are wasting his prime.

only 10 million? yikes!!!![/QUOTE

You’re back!

10 million is good but considering the number used to be 17-20 million it totally sucks. Of course your pal said the audience is sliding to different platforms so maybe another 8 million are watching on phones:XXROFL:

F-1 was concerned about the sound when they were introduced, they pale in comparison to the screaming normally aspirated v-8s

Hamilton seems to agree, the cars sound like crap

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/motor...ars-sound-terrible-and-the-sport-isnt-winning

Last I heard he was a multi-time champion of the sport

Hamilton can go suck one on this one. The cars sound pretty good, its just all of the tech like the ERS system and everything else that kind of taints the sound. The cars have only gotten better sound wise since their introduction in 2014. Its gotten better every season tbh.

Hamilton can go suck one on this one. The cars sound pretty good, its just all of the tech like the ERS system and everything else that kind of taints the sound. The cars have only gotten better sound wise since their introduction in 2014. Its gotten better every season tbh.

Actually, they sound terrible, the improvements aren't enough. I despise Hamilton, but in this case he is spot on

Psst, no we aren't. You might be but we aren't. LOL. Nice to see Jimmy Johnson isn't just sticking to the USA in what he's doing either. BTW, in another generation or two US football won't be as popular as soccer in the US. Too many parents have flipped their children to a sport that they view as safer. Not as many kids in the US football pipeline as their used to be.

Oh, and that was a nice attempt at a dodge considering just how much lower NASCAR's ratings are compared to Formula 1 on the world stage.

Funny that the moderation of this site is so strict regarding some post yet when others attack me with demeaning rhetoric that is against forum rules those reported post are allowed to stay up. I guess that means I can use the same verbiage in my post from now on.

Thank you moderation for providing a guiding light what is allowed now in the forum!

Psst, no we aren't. You might be but we aren't. LOL. Nice to see Jimmy Johnson isn't just sticking to the USA in what he's doing either. BTW, in another generation or two US football won't be as popular as soccer in the US. Too many parents have flipped their children to a sport that they view as safer. Not as many kids in the US football pipeline as their used to be.

Oh, and that was a nice attempt at a dodge considering just how much lower NASCAR's ratings are compared to Formula 1 on the world stage.
NASCAR Forum, wgas about F1? I dont care about ratings, I care about my enjoyment not how many other people like it. Dont gas what you think about it either.

Back
Top Bottom