College Football 2017

I don't know what to think of Dan Mullen as the Head Coach of the Gators. Guess we'll find out next year.

I thought it was an OK hire at first. Safe hire, but not my first choice. But the more I thought about it, the more I really liked it. He's had several years of head coaching experience in the SEC, and did a really good job considering how limited his resources were at a school like Miss St. He did well as Florida's offensive coordinator under Meyer, and he understands the expectations and high standards at Florida. He's got the experience, yet he's still young. After I watched his introductory press conference, I came away really impressed. He is genuinely excited to be at Florida, and he seems like a great fit. I'm much more excited about Mullen than I was Zook, Muschamp, or McElwain at the time of their hires.

I thought it was an OK hire at first. Safe hire, but not my first choice. But the more I thought about it, the more I really liked it. He's had several years of head coaching experience in the SEC, and did a really good job considering how limited his resources were at a school like Miss St. He did well as Florida's offensive coordinator under Meyer, and he understands the expectations and high standards at Florida. He's got the experience, yet he's still young. After I watched his introductory press conference, I came away really impressed. He is genuinely excited to be at Florida, and he seems like a great fit. I'm much more excited about Mullen than I was Zook, Muschamp, or McElwain at the time of their hires.
I agree.

The best thing Mullen brings to the table is his track record of QB development. Not only the guys he worked with under Meyer at Bowling Green/Utah/Florida, but Dak and Nick Fitzgerald too.

Since Tebow graduated, UF QBs have only been good once they left (Brissett, Murphy, Driskel, and Grier is even better now too).

If he can win consistently at a perennial SEC bottom feeder like MSST he should be able to win in Gainesville.

Full-blown disaster in Knoxville:

IMG_1128.JPG

Vol fans be like....

Fire Currie and hire Phillip Fulmer as AD!

*Currie is fired and Fulmer is named new AD.

Vol fans: No! He may have been dishonest in 1992. Fire him!

Hard to see Ohio State doing as poorly as they have tonight if Haskins started. Wisconsin should already have a knife in them.

If Alabama gets the #4 seed and UCF is shunned, I'll flip sh!t.

Bama had a one game schedule and lost.
LOL @ The idea of them ever putting a G5 team in. Won't happen until there's a new format.

Bama's resume is a huge nothingburger but they'll probably get the benefit of the doubt, even worse than in 2011.

Good job by the Buckeyes tonight, I have a feeling Alabama's gonna get the 4th playoff spot though. I don't think the committee wants Ohio St. vs. Clemson in the semi-final again based on how that went last year.

LOL @ The idea of them ever putting a G5 team in. Won't happen until there's a new format.

Bama's resume is a huge nothingburger but they'll probably get the benefit of the doubt, even worse than in 2011.
They should just give Alabama a permanent spot tbh. Even when they don't go to the SEC Championship, the committee finds a way to put them in.

They had one season and lost. But the committee will pretend their wins against unranked teams mean more.

They should just give Alabama a permanent spot tbh. Even when they don't go to the SEC Championship, the committee finds a way to put them in.

They had one season and lost. But the committee will pretend their wins against unranked teams mean more.
It's also the fact they rank teams bama beat higher than they should like Fresno State and Mississippi State. They'll probably end up ranking FSU now

I see lots of fanbois pointing towards last year's Ohio State team as to why Alabama should get in.

Problem is, Ohio State beat all three teams ranked #6-8 in the final CFP rankings last year, and Nebraska was also a fringe Top 25 team. In this case, Alabama's best win is over a team that spent Homecoming losing to Troy, and their third-best win is Fresno or A&M.

Good job by the Buckeyes tonight, I have a feeling Alabama's gonna get the 4th playoff spot though. I don't think the committee wants Ohio St. vs. Clemson in the semi-final again based on how that went last year.
I think Clemson runs over either of these teams really. This isn't the typical Nick Saban Alabama team.

The number one rule that should have been established when this stupid format started, you have to be a conference champion before entering the discussion. The only discussion this committee should be having right now is whether Ohio state, usc, or ucf takes the fourth spot. But like boxing, the committee and ESPN want the biggest pay day, and the sec is where most of that money lies.

I think Clemson runs over either of these teams really. This isn't the typical Nick Saban Alabama team.
There are cases to be made for both Alabama and Ohio St. IMO. Alabama didn't have any bad losses but didn't have any great wins either, while Ohio St. had three quality wins (Penn St., Michigan St., Wisconsin), but also a couple pretty bad losses. It'll be interesting to see what the committee does, it'll be a tough decision.

Kirby:

"Ultimately Alabama's resume is better because they only have one loss"

Also Kirby:

"Btw Auburn is #7 and ahead of USC"

I think you coulda flipped a coin between Ohio St. and Alabama as far as which one to put in. Like @FLRacingFan said, Clemson can probably smoke either team. At least Ohio St. has a shot against USC.

I read this on Yahoo, and I have to say I like the idea. This guy is proposing expanding the playoffs to 8 teams, scrapping the Conference Championship games in favor of first-round playoff games.

https://sports.yahoo.com/heres-make...yoff-even-better-032144320.html?.tsrc=fauxdal

They'd still mess it up. It would basically be a bunch of SEC teams and maybe one ACC team and one team from another conference.

The selection committee has a strong bias towards the SEC and no system will fix it as long as that's the case. They even admitted Ohio had a tougher schedule and was a better team and put Alabama in anyway.

The selection committee has a strong bias towards the SEC and no system will fix it as long as that's the case. They even admitted Ohio had a tougher schedule and was a better team and put Alabama in anyway

No, no they didn't.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...ade-college-football-playoff-over-ohio-state/

"The selection committee looked at a one-loss Alabama team with that loss coming against the final ranking No. 7 team Auburn in a very competitive game," selection committee chairman Kirby Hocutt said on ESPN. "We compared that to a two-loss Ohio State team -- obviously with one loss at home to No. 2 Oklahoma -- but more damaging was the 31-point loss to unranked Iowa. We spent a great amount of time last night into the morning -- beginning at 7:30 this morning -- talking about the full body of work. Now that the complete season is in front of us, the selection committee just favored Alabama's full body of work over that of Ohio State. It was consistent over the course of the year, as we saw Alabama play week-in and week-out, our rankings showed when we start with a clean piece of paper every week, that Alabama was the better football team."

With this model:
8880b14c443eed14540c40618b889384
will people still complain about too many teams from the same conference though?
I think as long as all the conference winners are in, most people would be happy. However, without the Conf. Champ. games, Auburn would have been the SEC Champion and Wisconsin would have been the Big Ten Champion, hence no Ohio State and Auburn ranked ahead of Georgia in your bracket.

They'd still mess it up. It would basically be a bunch of SEC teams and maybe one ACC team and one team from another conference.

The selection committee has a strong bias towards the SEC and no system will fix it as long as that's the case. They even admitted Ohio had a tougher schedule and was a better team and put Alabama in anyway.
The only thing I'd change from the article is I'd let the best non-power 5 conference champion in regardless, the author suggested only allowing this if they're undefeated. That way you couldn't have more than 3 teams from one conference in the playoff. Or they could put a cap on it like back in the BCS days when they wouldn't let more than two teams from one conference into the BCS bowls.

Back
Top Bottom