College football 2023

Gonna? Already did. Their best attribute was having the most important regular season that remained in sports. Another victim of the PLAYOFFS craze.

To be fair, the postseason lost pretty much all of its meaning in recent years. Hard to keep the sport rolling when once you drop a couple of games that’s all she wrote

I kinda like Norvell for that one, kept FSU together post injury. Braun has done a whale of a job with Northwestern though.
I’m surprised Jerry Kill wasn’t even a finalist for any of the COTY awards. He had one of the best seasons ever for NMSU and the Auburn upset was the biggest of the year. Unfortunately he stepped down again this weekend due to his health, but he had a tremendous two-year run there.

Selfishly I also would’ve liked to see Alex Golesh get a nomination.

To be fair, the postseason lost pretty much all of its meaning in recent years. Hard to keep the sport rolling when once you drop a couple of games that’s all she wrote
Hasn't that always been the case. No two years are ever the same but in many cases before a 11-0 team would go against a 10-1 team that was just blessed enough to be chosen as the best one loss team while a lot of other one loss teams and a good case were denied. If you lost two you almost absolutely were done (before the current playoff system). It was also still going to be pro Alabama or SouthEastern conference flawed into today's world.

I don't like the prospect of two super conferences but I am all for expanding the playoffs.
A 12 team playoff will at least minimize the handprint of a selection commitee.
The major bowl system was fun back in the day but they were too random in nature for determining a national champion and the Division II playoffs were better imo.

I also think a seemingly unlimted amount of bowl games with a lot 6 win teams is a dumbed down participation trophy deal.

My main point is that it has never really been the best way for rewarding the very best teams. I think college football will always be huge and attract a lot of fans in spite of those past and future flaws.

Seeing conferences go away or at least gutted bothers me the most. But I still think the product itself is almost bullet proof.

Gonna? Already did. Their best attribute was having the most important regular season that remained in sports. Another victim of the PLAYOFFS craze.
The seasons where there are 8 teams good enough to reasonably claim they can play for or have the résumé for a national title are few and far between, let alone seasons with 12. That’s essentially never happened. This season is as stacked towards the top as ever, right up there with 2008. In these cases I think 8, with quarterfinals and semifinals on campus, would be pretty interesting. But when you look at 12-team projections this year that would’ve had Penn State @ Ohio State and Ole Miss @ Georgia first round rematches, it kinda sours the deal to me. Not to mention the idea of having the quarters/semis/championship all at neutral sites is a ton of travel and expense, and not really advantageous to higher seeds.

This whole tunnel vision on the CFP has influenced so much else within the sport that it’s hard not to say it’s been a negative. I’m convinced with realignment and consolidation most years we’re going to have a playoff with 5 SEC/4 Big Ten/1 ACC/1 Big XII/1 G5.

Agreed, it's extremely disappointing. The more college football tries to be like the pros, the less interested I'll become. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the NFL, but college football has it's own identity. I absolutely despise this "superconference" bull****. It's all about $$$ for the networks, the schools that already have more than enough money, and (two) conferences. None of this actually makes the sport any better for the fans.

Imagine how terrible NASCAR would be if HMS and JGR owned a dozen cars each. That's basically what "NCAA" football has become.

The problem is that college football is ****** with every other sport. When teams change conferences, it's for every sport (with some rare exceptions).

The world would be a better place if more bowl sponsors activated like Kellogg’s does with theirs. I was a big fan of the Pop-Tart banana pudding.

Game itself was really competitive as well.

IMG_1854.jpeg

IMG_1858.jpeg

I've said before that I've never been much of a college football fan. But from what I've seen, I don't recall Missouri ever being a top contender. I'm guessing being in The Cotton Bowl is new territory for them. But then again, I could be wrong.

I've said before that I've never been much of a college football fan. But from what I've seen, I don't recall Missouri ever being a top contender. I'm guessing being in The Cotton Bowl is new territory for them. But then again, I could be wrong.
It’s been about a decade since they’ve been this good. They’re set up in really good position for the future with how they’re recruiting and especially working the transfer portal. They have a favorable schedule that should help them compete for the SEC title next year. Ole Miss is looking very similar at the moment too.

Hasn't that always been the case. No two years are ever the same but in many cases before a 11-0 team would go against a 10-1 team that was just blessed enough to be chosen as the best one loss team while a lot of other one loss teams and a good case were denied. If you lost two you almost absolutely were done (before the current playoff system). It was also still going to be pro Alabama or SouthEastern conference flawed into today's world.

I don't like the prospect of two super conferences but I am all for expanding the playoffs.
A 12 team playoff will at least minimize the handprint of a selection commitee.
The major bowl system was fun back in the day but they were too random in nature for determining a national champion and the Division II playoffs were better imo.

I also think a seemingly unlimted amount of bowl games with a lot 6 win teams is a dumbed down participation trophy deal.

My main point is that it has never really been the best way for rewarding the very best teams. I think college football will always be huge and attract a lot of fans in spite of those past and future flaws.

Seeing conferences go away or at least gutted bothers me the most. But I still think the product itself is almost bullet proof.

No it hasn’t been like this. Even 8-4 seasons were celebrated in years past with competitive bowl games. Transfers and opt outs now have made the bowl season absolutely pointless. Look at Ohio State last night, I could’ve started at QB with how they looked with the freshman

No it hasn’t been like this. Even 8-4 seasons were celebrated in years past with competitive bowl games. Transfers and opt outs now have made the bowl season absolutely pointless. Look at Ohio State last night, I could’ve started at QB with how they looked with the freshman
I think it is subjective. It worked for you and many others and an 8-4 type of bowl game could be and were often entertaining. There is a chance that they beat at least 6 average teams with that kind of record.

I still think 6-6 bowl teams are ridiculous. I think there should be a quality over quantity control system in place. 27 or 68 something bowl games just waters it all down to almost everybody getting a trophy.

I am tempted to keep on wind bagging but I have already posted my thoughts at least once on the subject.

Bowl games are what you make of them, and I haven’t seen any bowl winners yet this season who weren’t happy to win. The subsection of teams who can compete for a national title and are disappointed if they don’t make the CFP is incredibly small, and bowls are still a major reward to the vast majority (I certainly wasn’t surrounded by any K-State fans who were moaning about the CFP the other night). Transfers and opt-outs make for a good opportunity for underclassmen to get playing time, and seniors always strive to go out on top. Marvin Harrison Jr.’s breakout game at the Rose Bowl two seasons ago was because Chris Olave and Garrett Wilson opted out. Next man up.

Bowl games are what you make of them, and I haven’t seen any bowl winners yet this season who weren’t happy to win. The subsection of teams who can compete for a national title and are disappointed if they don’t make the CFP is incredibly small, and bowls are still a major reward to the vast majority (I certainly wasn’t surrounded by any K-State fans who were moaning about the CFP the other night). Transfers and opt-outs make for a good opportunity for underclassmen to get playing time, and seniors always strive to go out on top. Marvin Harrison Jr.’s breakout game at the Rose Bowl two seasons ago was because Chris Olave and Garrett Wilson opted out. Next man up.

EVERY GAME MATTERS :)

The top of the SEC is going to be crazy competitive between Alabama, Georgia, Texas, Mizzou, and Ole Miss next year. Ole Miss and Mizzou are gonna have their best squads in my lifetime.

Auburn looks really bad
They keep making such bad hires. Malzahn had peaked and his time was rightfully up, but then Harsin was a terrible fit. Then he gets fired and they bring in a guy who was only good at Ole Miss because he cheated.

Gunner Stockton sounds like a QB for the Dodge City or YellowStone Bowl.

This Georgia squad is exactly the kind of team who would benefit most from the 12-team playoff. Super talented and deep team who, under the BCS or CFP, just lost the one game they couldn’t, but would be more suited than almost everyone else to go win four on the bounce. And they came out with a vengeance today. Shows what kind of culture Kirby Smart has there when he sits down with all the seniors and draft prospects about opting out and they say they want to play because they think they’re still the best team in the country and want to break last year’s record for winningest senior class in school history.

I just don't get all of the FSU guys skipping this game. You literally could have claimed a national championship with a win.
Definitely disappointing to see so much of the team essentially give up, but they were 14-point underdogs the day the bowls were announced. Was gonna be tough sledding either way.

3-63 FSU still should have been in the Final 4 over Alabama/Georgia. Doesn’t mean much.

I just don't get all of the FSU guys skipping this game. You literally could have claimed a national championship with a win.

Because F$U knew they had no chance to win, but now they can make more excuses about how they could have won at full strength and continue to cry about how much they "deserved" to make the playoffs (and get smoked). Shoulda coulda woulda.

They lost by 60 points today lol

The committee knew exactly what they were doing, and they made the right call. They picked the four BEST teams at the end of the season. "Deserve's got nothing to do with it."

lol. Yeah they knew exactly what they were doing with TCU as well.

Because F$U knew they had no chance to win, but now they can make more excuses about how they could have won at full strength and continue to cry about how much they "deserved" to make the playoffs (and get smoked). Shoulda coulda woulda.

SEC Champion should always be an automatic CFP spot.

They got it right. They just damaged the credibility of their argument with the Liberty over SMU debate.

Back
Top Bottom