Cup RACE thread --- Richmond

He has done what Austin has done so many times. Taking out other drivers he considers friends. I'm suprised another driver didn't call him and Joey out on their BS.
bull****. I'll take Hamlin out of this because I am so biased. Let's focus on Logano.....I have seen him pull bull****, but nothing like this. Watch the freaking replay....with his spotter telling him to wreck another driver, and his incoherant grandfather saying that he was proud of him for doing so. This is surreal. Nevermind one of the sports greatest drivers congratulating him for all of this crap after the race. The lowest point I have ever seen this sport. On Tuesday, NASCAR will decide whether or not they have the balls to preserve the integrity of this sport. I am not optimistic.

Sometimes "wow" is all I can say. I understand some people liked that and will defend it but for me that was just **** racing and a product of "win and you're in." I completely understand why the 3 did it but just like with Chase and Suarez a few weeks ago at Chicago - There is a difference between the bump and run and just driving through someone. Maybe when a driver gets seriously hurt NASCAR will stop this "win and you're in" BS and stop trying to attract the attention of fans that won't pay attention for more than 5 minutes anyway.

All that said, where did the speed from the 3 car come from? I knew they could improve from how bad they have been but I am not sure I have ever seen a car run THAT bad for 2/3 of a season and then just show up and have that kind of speed. He was the ONLY chevy to have race winning speed and outran his teammate and the likes of HMS by a lot. If anyone tried to say they saw that coming out of the 3 I will call BS all day.

Other takeaways - Cliff Daniels is the BEST crew chief in NASCAR right now and here's why - He calls the race based on what his driver has - not what the race winning strategy will be. He saw right away that the 5 did not have the speed to drive through the pack and called a strategy that said "let's do what they are not." It really did not end of working out but I still loved it. I get so frustrated with AG because he seems to try to keep Chase on what he thinks the race winning strategy will be - even if they don't have a winning car. Last night was a perfect example - I did not understand their strategy at all as they seemed to be in between the 1 stop per stage and 2 stop per stage strategy. They were always the last car to come in of those stopping twice and lost tons of track position to guys on new tires because of it and it did not really work out on the other end. I think if AG is more aggressive and committed to one of the 2 strategies then Chase - who had a decent at best car - would have kept his track position all night and been in a better spot at the end.

The option tires - I guess I like it and I can't believe that some teams not in a position to win did not use their last set on the final 50 lap +/- run because they fell off at about 30-35 laps. I mean why not try something and just see what happens? If you're borderline top ten then why not? Overall though, I liked that if you were mired in traffic you had an option (no pun intended) to try to gain some track position.

Last but not least - I have said it all year and will keep saying it - On flat short tracks (except maybe Martinsville which is a different animal) the Chevys are bringing a knife to a gun fight. Yes - The 3 was puzzlingly the best car - especially at the end - which shows the Chevys CAN compete but for whatever reason they are not. HMS was very mid. Chase had a good qualifying run and seemed to have decent long run speed but poor strategy. The 5 and the 24 seemed to be OK but mired in traffic and unable to pas most of the race. The 48 was MIA all night from what I saw. They better figure something out before Phoenix.

..........if NASCAR wants to be seen as better than WWE on wheels it should clean this up and penalize him and this kind of overt behavior.
I suspect they will just let it go. You can't let them beat and bang all season and suddenly out of nowhere crack down on it.

I looked forward to getting online this morning to read the comments here and you all came through as expected.

Not a fan of Logano but his interview was great and so were all the others. Bubba was well composed and then threw in a zinger at the very end. That was great!

As an old fan of NASCAR I have little respect for the sport. I try but there are too many times like this that I can't take it seriously as a "sport". Luckily I like most every racing series out there so I can get my pleasure from real racing.

I suspect they will just let it go. You can't let them beat and bang all season and suddenly out of nowhere crack down on it.
This is why Elton Sawyer is just not the guy. When asked if that crossed the line he said something about it "being up against the line." Really? What would be crossing the line then?

Dillon's finish is the extreme result of the green-while-checker, and NASCAR gives drivers 3 chances to do it. I've noticed over the years that a driver who deserves to win a race often looses it in a G-W-C. Moving a a car out of the way or pinching a car into the wall seem to be more acceptable but the result is still the same. I wish NASCAR would end the G-W-C.

The Richmond finish was exciting in the same way Chastain's full-throttle wall run - wild to watch but I don't want to see it again. I will give Dillon credit for wrecking 2 cars in 2 separate incidents in a short distance for a win, I've never seen that before and I don't want to see it again.

AD, Logano, Hamlin... is this what they mean by perfect storm...

I believe NASCAR will take points away from the 3 but let them keep the win. 🎪
Eh, they could set him out a race like they did Elliott and Wallace. I've only seen a couple of clips that weren't from the race feed but it looked like Hamlin came up and wasn't clear of Dillion yet.

There's no way Joey lets this slide. Does he pay Dillon back next week or does he wait...?

Logano needs every point he can get this year. If he is going to do it, it has to be good enough that he doesn't wreck his car doing it. I don't think Penske would like his car mashed up and out of the race at this point in the season. Logano is in 15th place, one win and only 6 playoff points.

Who thinks NASCAR takes win points away and by that I mean the 3 wont transfer with the win? I do
Me. I will never be in favor of a win getting taken away. I think fans should leave the track knowing who won.....but I am very much in favor of Dillon not getting **** for what he did. He embarrassed the sport. I am really sick and tired of the drivers putting NASCAR in this position. I don't buy into the "this is the game" crap. They are all "racers" right...so ****** act like it. NASCAR is in a really ****** position....

Me. I will never be in favor of a win getting taken away. I think fans should leave the track knowing who won.....but I am very much in favor of Dillon not getting **** for what he did. He embarrassed the sport. I am really sick and tired of the drivers putting NASCAR in this position. I don't buy into the "this is the game" crap. They are all "racers" right...so ****** act like it. NASCAR is in a really ****** position....
Yeah, I'm tired of "they are forcing us to do it" crap. No they aren't, its the 3 who chose to do it and NASCAR should react, harshly. I've got a good Friend on that Team, hell he sent me the Pic of him driving the Trophy back to RCR and this will effect him and I hate it for him.

Yeah, I'm tired of "they are forcing us to do it" crap. No they aren't, its the 3 who chose to do it and NASCAR should react, harshly. I've got a good Friend on that Team, hell he sent me the Pic of him driving the Trophy back to RCR and this will effect him and I hate it for him.
How the hell does anybody say, "...proud of you" after that? When the owner has that kind of culture, there is a problem.

I mean, a guy 32nd in points, knowing if he wins he shoots up to the top 16(right now he would be seeded 13th). Then yeah, I can see it being at least partly to blame on the crappy playoff system.

The thing that sucks the most, if Ricky and Ryan didn’t have their run in, Austin wins on speed, and none of this is even being talked about. So it could’ve been avoided if talent wasn’t ran out of.

The only chance the Indianapolis Colts had to make the playoffs last year was to intentionally take CJ Stroud out of the game. They did not do that because that would have been a malignant foul.

The problem with the playoff here is: A driver who is 32nd in points should not even be remotely in consideration for a playoff spot. But that's got nothing to do with Austin choosing to wreck two cars. I think he would have done that to get the win, playoffs or not, because it's the first time in an Olympiad he's had a shot to win.

If you think this was crazy, wait until the playoffs.
Just run in 2nd position and bulldoze the leader going into the final corner.

Don't be dumb enough to try and win by being in the lead and simply better.
You will get used up by the car behind you, he will not use his brakes and he will use very little of his steering, you will be his buffer while he raw-dogs you.
The rules encourage the dumbed down bumper car BS.

You will get used up by the car behind you, he will not use his brakes and he will use very little of his steering, you will be his buffer while he raw-dogs you.
If they happen to be running one two and the second car is close enough, bump and run....engaged. Of course this all depends on the driver. Some will, some won't. Throw beer cans, shoes, Dale duck calls at Gordon lol.

Hot take but If G-W-C was done away with, only racing to the advertised distance none of this would be happening to the extent that it has been the last few years. The GWC Overtime brings out the most carnage imo, it adds to the desperation for some of these guys.

I agree, but unfortunately NASCAR is so inconsistent with their calls. So just because they might not take this win away doesn’t mean that they wouldn’t take the win away the next time it happens.

Back
Top Bottom