Cup RACE thread --- Richmond

I didn't say I agreed with it, I'm just saying that's how NASCAR will look at it. They may fine him, they may find a way to penalize him, but the win and the playoff position will stand. I'd bet money on it.
I expect Wednesday morning will come and we'll hear nothing useful from Daytona Beach. Sawyer will sell some 'last lap' snake oil.

Rewatching the finish…. just incredibly egregious. I’m coming around on the thinking nascar has to do something. I don’t know what, but man the next few days are going to be interesting. I’m okay with a guy moving another driver for the win…even okay with Earnhardt/Labonte in 99. But this just feels so different, like a line was crossed. I just don’t know how you put the genie back in the bottle at this point. I don’t want what we saw tonight to become the norm. I didn’t even have a problem with him wrecking the 22, what I don’t like is how he hooked the 11, incredibly dangerous. That can’t be accepted.

Like I told Charlie, I'm old school and maybe not so well versed on what is acceptable or not these days. I meant nothing by it and probably should have used a more politically correct term like "ridiculous".

I saw your response after..all good.

Rewatching the finish…. just incredibly egregious. I’m coming around on the thinking nascar has to do something. I don’t know what, but man the next few days are going to be interesting. I’m okay with a guy moving another driver for the win…even okay with Earnhardt/Labonte in 99. But this just feels so different, like a line was crossed. I just don’t know how you put the genie back in the bottle at this point. I don’t want what we saw tonight to become the norm. I didn’t even have a problem with him wrecking the 22, what I don’t like is how he hooked the 11, incredibly dangerous. That can’t be accepted.

Imo, the win should be given to the 22, and the running order should be determined based on where they all were right before the 3 made contact with the 22

This might end up as an unprecedented little treat to Dillon and Childress for some reason. I bet if this scenario ever plays out again the offender is DQd

Goodness , seems like many of you have never seen
this before and your poptart has been pi55ed on. Well welcome to NASCAR.
I just hope PopPop is still proud of his Grandson after the penalties
are handed out on Tuesday. I saw a NASCAR official ( and others) running out of the
way of a crabbing speeding #22 down pit road after the race. When you
put people at risk like that , it gets expensive.

Not a Dillon fan, not really a Childress fan (for reasons away from the track), but the kid did what he had to do. This was it for the season whether good or bad, he most likely would not have had another opportunity this season to advance himself. RCR just does not have ability to run with the big dogs on a regular basis, got to take it when you can. Reminds me of when rub'n was racing...

When AD sees Reddit and Social Media
1723431652658.gif

Those guys the way they’re running now at this current moment would most likely be out in the first round as well
Bubba is on a roll right now. Ross had a rough last few weeks but spent all season before that in the top 10, and we know he’s a caliber of driver capable of making it to the final. Buescher has had race-winning pace at times earlier this year and made a deep playoff run last season. I think if you wanted to maximize a competitive playoffs, any of them would be a better bet than Dillon or any other random 30th-ish-position type of driver who happens to show up one weekend of the season.

Winning a Cup race is hard, but the reward should be the trophy, the purse money, and a bigger number in the Win column. The “win at all costs for the playoff” stuff is just too much.

That's an interesting point. Exactly when did the yellow come out?

Apparently sometime after Dillon wrecked Hamlin but before Reddick and Wallace were able to pass Hamlin, thereby giving Hamlin the second place finish.

Interesting that a caution wasn't warranted by Logano getting wrecked, but instead of letting the finish play out under green, it came out immediately after Hamlin got turned. :idunno:

Apparently sometime after Dillon wrecked Hamlin but before Reddick and Wallace were able to pass Hamlin, thereby giving Hamlin the second place finish.

Interesting that a caution wasn't warranted by Logano getting wrecked, but instead of letting the finish play out under green, it came out immediately after Hamlin got turned. :idunno:
Plain as day 3 posts up #665

Bubba is on a roll right now. Ross had a rough last few weeks but spent all season before that in the top 10, and we know he’s a caliber of driver capable of making it to the final. Buescher has had race-winning pace at times earlier this year and made a deep playoff run last season. I think if you wanted to maximize a competitive playoffs, any of them would be a better bet than Dillon or any other random 30th-ish-position type of driver who happens to show up one weekend of the season.

Winning a Cup race is hard, but the reward should be the trophy, the purse money, and a bigger number in the Win column. The “win at all costs for the playoff” stuff is just too much.
I don’t disagree, those drivers you mentioned are all more worthy of a spot than someone 32nd in points. The rules imo kind of make this what it is, a free for all at the end of these things.

I mean, he's getting suspended. But do they strip the win?
I know there’s precedent otherwise, but would be kind of funny/ironic if they let the win stand, keep the eligibility from it etc but simultaneously suspend him and deny a waiver. They still get in owner playoffs

Also as someone who grew up watching and loving Dale as a kid, yes maybe that was a little bit extreme even for him. But at the same time I could definitely see him doing the same had he raced the win and your in format.

Plain as day 3 posts up #665

Indeed, the caution got thrown after Dillon wrecked Hamlin. plain as day.

But when it didn't get thrown after the Logano wreck, one could have assumed that the finish would play out under green.

Don't understand throwing a caution when they did but not when Logano got slammed.

Back
Top Bottom