Cup RACE thread --- Richmond

NASCAR probably gonna wait till Darlington is over, then be like “Oh, by the way Austin…your Richmond win didn’t count, so you missed the playoffs.”

How about severe penalties for the kind of egregious behaviour we saw yesterday?

Example: move the 3 back to the 38th finishing position and levy a $50,000 fine. Get people’s attention.
He would still be in the playoffs if you don't take the win

according to their rubber rulebook, if there is something like actions detrimental to stock car racing, the win doesn't count.

according to their rubber rulebook, if there is something like actions detrimental to stock car racing, the win doesn't count.
That may be true but they have moved teams to last but the win stands, if that's what they do I'm ok with it.

That may be true but they have moved teams to last but the win stands, if that's what they do I'm ok with it.

Have they actually? So they score you as the last place car, but still give you credit for the win? Seems confusing, so yep…definitely something they’d do.

It seems simple to me with a disqualification for Dillion being the right call.
I can't speak for the Lagano situation. I didn't watch the post race long enough to see what happened. If he put people in danger, it has to be or should be addressed as well. I will try to watch that part tomorrow.

In fairness, NASCAR also has to consider the consequences in it's entirety of how they rule , including the unintended consequences.

I remember the Richmond itch fiasco several years ago, which essentially led to the complete shutdown of the entire MWR operation. It affected the lives and careers of many innocent people.

Penske is pretty safe and has their sponsorship in the bag. Childress probably is safe as well. But once Nascar adjudicates, there could be a lot pissed off sponsors if any suspensions are involved.

Canned as it sounds at this point, I think some major fines and point penalties are probably the best remaining option.

I still think it would have been better to have DQ'd Dillion Sunday night and moved on. But the delayed decision is a good indication that Nascar doesn't have it in them to be heavy-handed. For whatever reason, I just think a suspension would be more punitive than a simple DQ, and it just seems like Nascar doesn't want to touch either one of those options.

Have they actually? So they score you as the last place car, but still give you credit for the win? Seems confusing, so yep…definitely something they’d do.
Yes, they have done it before. I think the most egregious was Petty at Charlotte when he swapped lefts and rights on the last pit stop of the race.

Disqualifying Austin Dillion before he got out of his car on Sunday night should have been an easy call.

It was obviously intentional or one of the worse cases of incompetence.
This. Even the CARS Tour had the balls to do it recently. I agree with a solution I heard on DJD: let him keep the win, but fine the he’ll out of him and win doesn’t count for playoffs. The precedent is there with MWR and spin gate.

So, if they go back and take the win from him does that mean they need to go back and take the win from anyone that has ever dumped someone at the end of a race to win? Or is this just an AD and Pop Pop penalty and all of the other drivers get a free pass?

So, if they go back and take the win from him does that mean they need to go back and take the win from anyone that has ever dumped someone at the end of a race to win? Or is this just an AD and Pop Pop penalty and all of the other drivers get a free pass?
I don't like any bump and runs, I don't even like using 8 tires going through the final corner.

But this case with AD is absolutely ridiculous. Dive bombing from four car lengths back on the final corner, that should only be acceptable in a demolition derby.

I don't like any bump and runs, I don't even like using 8 tires going through the final corner.

But this case with AD is absolutely ridiculous. Dive bombing from four car lengths back on the final corner, that should only be acceptable in a demolition derby.
Aunty was correct...just wanted to see what the response would be. :)

This. Even the CARS Tour had the balls to do it recently. I agree with a solution I heard on DJD: let him keep the win, but fine the he’ll out of him and win doesn’t count for playoffs. The precedent is there with MWR and spin gate.
That was at Richmond too, after all. :D

Forget bump and runs, AD thought he was playing a game of pool.

"Okay, kids, today we're going to the auditorium for a very special film strip! Joey, will you lead the class?"

Is this what I'll sound like 20 years from now talking to my grandkids about the excitement you would get when you walked into the classroom and the curtains were closed and the CRT TV was in the front of the room on the TV cart? :XXROFL:

Is this what I'll sound like 20 years from now talking to my grandkids about the excitement you would get when you walked into the classroom and the curtains were closed and the CRT TV was in the front of the room on the TV cart? :XXROFL:
AND there was a substitute teacher. ;)

If it would have been a superspeedway and Hamlin or Logano could have been... or were injured, I would be concerned, but it was short track racing so I'm not going to get all emotional over it. Even though Hamlin felt Lagano intentionally crashed him at Fontana which seriously injured him NASCAR didn't penalize Logano.

Now THAT is great racing. Sucks that Denny got hurt but that is hard racing to the line. I remember what I really did not like was how snarky Logano was about it saying "that's what he gets." Now I am sure Logano did not know he was hurt but he should have known it was possible.

It seems simple to me with a disqualification for Dillion being the right call.
I can't speak for the Lagano situation. I didn't watch the post race long enough to see what happened. If he put people in danger, it has to be or should be addressed as well. I will try to watch that part tomorrow.

In fairness, NASCAR also has to consider the consequences in it's entirety of how they rule , including the unintended consequences.

I remember the Richmond itch fiasco several years ago, which essentially led to the complete shutdown of the entire MWR operation. It affected the lives and careers of many innocent people.

Penske is pretty safe and has their sponsorship in the bag. Childress probably is safe as well. But once Nascar adjudicates, there could be a lot pissed off sponsors if any suspensions are involved.

Canned as it sounds at this point, I think some major fines and point penalties are probably the best remaining option.

I still think it would have been better to have DQ'd Dillion Sunday night and moved on. But the delayed decision is a good indication that Nascar doesn't have it in them to be heavy-handed. For whatever reason, I just think a suspension would be more punitive than a simple DQ, and it just seems like Nascar doesn't want to touch either one of those options.
Yeah - just don't understand the delayed reaction here. If they DQ'd him Sunday night no one would have questioned it and we could all move on. They are probably just milking the publicity now. This stupid crap is the only thing that gets NASCAR the type of national attention it used to get.

Is there smoke coming from the chimney at Daytona headquarters yet? Or have they started erecting a gallows?

1723647740105.png

Back
Top Bottom