Cup RACE thread --- Richmond

I mean I’m just saying they had speed last night, who knows what the team may have found. Like he isn’t about to light the world on fire or anything like that, but he could have some good runs in some of the upcoming races if the team nails the setup again.
They definitely found something. That sure wasn't all Dillon. The pit crew beat Hamlin and Logano out on the money stop also. Facts are facts.

Yeah, listening to the radio and Larson all year, their motto has been execution. As a driver and race team, let's maximize our day, whatever that looks like.

Larson has made far fewer mistakes this year. After the 600, he did string together a few bad weeks in a row, Iowa (which was gonna be a win) and Chicago (probably a top 4 finish).

I was on Daniel's ass yesterday because I just didn't see that stage 2 strategy working out, and I didn't see the necessity of it. I turned out to be right for that stage, and even still, Cliff found a way to get them a good finish.

Early on, Larson was pretty unsure about what to request in terms of changes and balance and Cliff basically made a decision to adjust the car to help with early run turn. Larson was able to drive into p10 early in stage 2, taking advantage of that. Then, Cliff made the 1 stop call to gain further track position, presumably to get some stage points. It didn't work out and he ended the stage in p14. A net negative.

Cliff made the car better for one run in stage 3, and Larson was able to get back up to p12. Then, Cliff called Larson in to start the pit cycle, knowing that their weakness was short run speed in traffic. As a result, he got a clean pit entry/exit, and about 2 lap fresher tires, and was able to run a significant portion of the "weaker" part of his run in clean air. It netted him out about 7 spots ahead of where he was running and ultimately lead to a top 10 finish.

I thought the stage 2 mistake more or less ended the day as a good points day, but they still managed to defend the points lead with a 7th place finish with probably a 12th place car.

Considering how well Reddick ran, and how Elliott was able to accumulate 6 stage points, it was a good race.

Larson had zero useful feedback all race. It was bad. Cliff made a decision that minimized their car's weakness. It was great
I think as far as Larson's lack of feedback sometimes there is nothing that can be done. I mean if the balance is good and the car is driving good and the issue is that everyone is running the same speed pretty much then what can you do. Richmond is such a temperamental track that if you're in the ball park as they were you really need to be careful.

I see Larson starting 14th and finishing 7th because of the execution and understanding of his situation from CD. On the other end of the spectrum is Chase and AG who started 4th and slowly went back all night with poor execution and strategy.

I miss listening to the scanner during the race but hardly ever watch live anymore. I might watch more races live as the season goes on and the New England weather turns. Where do you access it these days? NASCAR.com?

I mean that’s good right?
I don't know how they figured it out taking everything out like they did, but to me it showed that the two tire choices made a difference in passing numbers. I'm not sure it was a game changer but it possibly could in future races. I thought from the jump that they needed more than two sets of them to race with and I still think so.

I'm just saying this based on past judgements. Honestly if I were the Emperor of NASCAR I would score AD last and set the finish from the moment he cornholed Joey. But I have 100% confidence that won't happen.
So would you do the same to every other driver that blasted the car in front of them?

This is probably NASCAR’s worst nightmare from the standpoint of the “playoffs”. By designing the “win and you’re in” model, this scenario of a back marker car being in position to ram their way into the playoffs was always on the table, but rarely made it plausible. Now they have a perfect storm to deal with. Sawyer says they’ll review everything and determine any possible penalty by Tuesday. No way they DQ him and take away the win or place in the chase. But I’m betting on a large fine and probation.

This isn’t their worst nightmare. This was an intended consequence.

They wanted 30th place drivers in the postseason. That’s why they have the “win and you’re in” thing.

So My question to you all is

1. Do you have a problem with what the 3 did to the 22? My opinion is... I do not

2. Do you have a problem with what he did to the 11? My opinion is... yes I do

#1 I've seen the 22 do this multiple times, the only difference is the 22, most times was within a car length of the guy in front and moved them, the 3 had to drive it in over his head from 3 car lengths back to move the 22, so what? Its the same result, you knocked the car in front out of the way. So sorry Joey, you are guilty of doing the same stuff

#2. Denny watched it all play out and made the correct move on the 3, the 3 then took matters in to his own hands and chopped the 11 in the right rear sending him up the track and he won because of that move. This is what it all boils down to, did the 3 cheap shot the 11 and does he deserve to keep the win?

If I'm NASCAR I will penalize the 3 the same way they did with all of the other RR hooks that have happened recently. I think the 3 should sit 1 race and be fined points and Money Its the right call in my opinion after having a day to process it.

So My question to you all is

1. Do you have a problem with what the 3 did to the 22? My opinion is... I do not

2. Do you have a problem with what he did to the 11? My opinion is... yes I do

#1 I've seen the 22 do this multiple times, the only difference is the 22, most times was within a car length of the guy in front and moved them, the 3 had to drive it in over his head from 3 car lengths back to move the 22, so what? Its the same result, you knocked the car in front out of the way. So sorry Joey, you are guilty of doing the same stuff

#2. Denny watched it all play out and made the correct move on the 3, the 3 then took matters in to his own hands and chopped the 11 in the right rear sending him up the track and he won because of that move. This is what it all boils down to, did the 3 cheap shot the 11 and does he deserve to keep the win?

If I'm NASCAR I will penalize the 3 the same way they did with all of the other RR hooks that have happened recently. I think the 3 should sit 1 race and be fined points and Money Its the right call in my opinion after having a day to process it.
My response is yes to both. I mean, he did what he had to do to win, that’s obvious. But I like to think it’s a game of skill, with some luck involved of course. No skill involved in going full send in into the turn and punting the leader out of the way. Also no skill involved in turning left and hooking the leader into the wall. So yeah, he did what he felt he needed to do to win, but I’m not a fan of that kind of racing.

Now, to answer the obvious incoming question about whether I’d feel the same if it was Byron instead of Dillon, and the answer is mostly yes. The only difference is that I’d be happy he won since he’s my guy, but I’d still think it was a lousy move and I wouldn’t be angry or disagree if the win was taken away from him.

My response is yes to both. I mean, he did what he had to do to win, that’s obvious. But I like to think it’s a game of skill, with some luck involved of course. No skill involved in going full send in into the turn and punting the leader out of the way. Also no skill involved in turning left and hooking the leader into the wall. So yeah, he did what he felt he needed to do to win, but I’m not a fan of that kind of racing.

Now, to answer the obvious incoming question about whether I’d feel the same if it was Byron instead of Dillon, and the answer is mostly yes. The only difference is that I’d be happy he won since he’s my guy, but I’d still think it was a lousy move and I wouldn’t be angry or disagree if the win was taken away from him.
We have seen drivers try to take out 1 car and ended up crashing themselves...AD took out 2 cars and kept on truckin. :D

. OK, so what the 3 did to the 22 was wrong and every other driver that has done the same thing is also wrong. Usual NASCAR penalty for that is, nothing, so, so far the 3 is good.

What the 3 did to the 11 was wrong, Usual NASCAR penalty is sitting out a race and fines, so you are good with the 3 keeping the win?

. OK, so what the 3 did to the 22 was wrong and every other driver that has done the same thing is also wrong. Usual NASCAR penalty for that is, nothing, so, so far the 3 is good.

What the 3 did to the 11 was wrong, Usual NASCAR penalty is sitting out a race and fines, so you are good with the 3 keeping the win?

Dang dude, I already answered your two questions. Why you gotta ask me two more? Is it because I didn’t agree with your answers? Are you going to keep asking me more until I agree with your opinion and your take on the situation at hand?

My answer to question 3 is that giving the bump and run is fine. The punt and run isn’t. So yes, anyone’s who went full send and punted the guy out of the way is wrong.

My answer to question 4 is that if it was my decision, I’d give him the DQ. Like someone else posted already though, the fans at the track deserve to know who won, so I guess you could say at this point, I’m good with him keeping the win, but not the automatic playoff berth.

We have seen drivers try to take out 1 car and ended up crashing themselves...AD took out 2 cars and kept on truckin. :D

I mean, you have a point there. Granted he only had to keep it trucking for less than a quarter of a lap. But still, he was able to do that, so props.

Dang dude, I already answered your two questions. Why you gotta ask me two more? Is it because I didn’t agree with your answers? Are you going to keep asking me more until I agree with your opinion and your take on the situation at hand?

My answer to question 3 is that giving the bump and run is fine. The punt and run isn’t. So yes, anyone’s who went full send and punted the guy out of the way is wrong.

My answer to question 4 is that if it was my decision, I’d give him the DQ. Like someone else posted already though, the fans at the track deserve to know who won, so I guess you could say at this point, I’m good with him keeping the win, but not the automatic playoff berth.
It was only one more question dude. I was repeating your answers, then asked one more followup.

It was only one more question dude. I was repeating your answers, then asked one more followup.
My mistake. Your opinion was that the 3 wasn’t wrong for taking out the 22, so that’s why I assumed it was a question for me, despite the lack of a question mark.

I mean I’m just saying they had speed last night, who knows what the team may have found. Like he isn’t about to light the world on fire or anything like that, but he could have some good runs in some of the upcoming races if the team nails the setup again.
That’s a big if, something their record this year suggests was an anomaly for one week. 32nd in points, they are what their record says they are.

You know what really sucks? What's lost in all this is that we have an awesome battle for regular season champ going right now. 3 guys within 6 points of each other with 3 races to go. Should be fun to see to the end. Still think Larson has it though so long as he gets stage points....which he did not do at RIR but I am pretty sure that will change at MIS. Chase needs the title and playoff points if he is going to have any shot at making Phoenix without winning. Regardless though, I'd be happy with the round of 8 after last season.

Yes. Hence no one else responding to him lol.

5pm and NOTHING from NASCAR....

Got to drag out the drama as long as possible.

I'm sure they're getting clicks and social media visits galore today... I've checked Pockrass, here, and Jayski hourly since noon. What NASCAR chooses to do here is going to "set the tone" for a long while...

I'm sure they're getting clicks and social media visits galore today... I've checked Pockrass, here, and Jayski hourly since noon. What NASCAR chooses to do here is going to "set the tone" for a long while...
The tone of having no spine was set long ago. Don't y'all hold your breath; we need everyone here we can get.

I said it earlier this A.M. that I wouldn't be surprised if they were going to drag it out another day. They have everybody talking about it and they like that.

Dillon and Hamlin are media stars, JR seems like he is on a telethon about it, Gluck and cluck yapping away, Logano has dug a hole hoping they forget him.

Back
Top Bottom