Dale jr podcast

Harv sounds like he kinda hates the new car lol. Flat out called it slow - which was pretty obvious to anyone with eyeballs.
Yeah. When asked how to make it better, he said to speed it up (more power) so that the undertray and diffuser worked better

“We want something that’s challenging that will show that the best driver and the best team will prevail" Joey Logano

...thanks Kevin now I'll forever be stuck wondering if Sr wore boxers or briefs.

The bombshell of the whole interview was that the plan was for Harv to retire after 2021.

The bombshell of the whole interview was that the plan was for Harv to retire after 2021.
Lots of neat little tidbits out of that. Like Harvick could of signed to drive Cal Wells 96 car that Andy Houston ended up wrecking a ton.

What changed?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Good question. He didn't give a great answer other than he wanted the challenge of figuring out the new car. He also made a comment about talking with financial planners and all about retirement early in season, so maybe he realized he needed a few more million?

What changed?

It sounded like he was having fun and as long as his group of guys wanted to stay around he wanted to keep racing. He did mention a couple times (with the 29 car at RCR and the xfinity stuff at JRM) that the group of guys he's working with make the difference. Said he basically suffered through his second season with JRM because they took his guys.

Interesting.

You know what my reaction to his time on DJD?

Where is this Kevin Harvick on camera? I think Kevin GETS how NASCAR media works. Him making a point about changing the public narrative was interesting. The segment about his comments about Dale Jr told a lot about him as a person, and honestly, about his incident with Chase.

Kevin gets upset. Got upset with Chase. I'm really starting to wonder how much of his behavior with Chase was him just using his frustration and letting himself be a villain to create a narrative? Kevin cares about the sport in a similar way that Dale does.

So to hear him be totally open about upsetting Dale and Mike, and to acknowledge other perspectives. To own up to how his emotions let him get the better of him was very interesting. He was not as self absorbed as I thought. And as Dale said to him "that really hurt my feelings", you could see genuine remorse, and empathy in Harvick's face.

Where the hell is this guy on television?

I don't know. He came off a lot more sensitive and consider of others than he does in the NASCAR world.

Does he make a choice to play the villain? He may not be as much of a baby as we thought.

Two grown men talking about their hurt feelings. I love it. Keeps me employed.

I think Kevin's interview showed a lot of insight into what he had to deal with stepping into the 29 (3) following the death of Sr. It was never really his team, it was always still Dale's. He points out they kept saying "this is the way Dale did it". Another thing he said it didn't start feeling like his team until GM left and Shell came in.

I get it most people would love to drive in the cup series but it sounds like they already had a plan laid out and then all of a sudden everything is changed. I never knew he was scheduled to make his first cup start at Atlanta in the #30 AOL that weekend

I thought it was interesting that Jr and Kevin had said things that offended each other and they didn't know they offended each other. I was also surprised that they socialized early in their careers.

Pretty good year of Episodes from the download… They had a few snoozers here and there but some really good ones too.

If I had to pick a ‘best of the season’, I’d have to say either the Kerry Earnhardt or the Ty Norris would be my favorite listen this year. Pretty intriguing shows right there. I haven’t gone through the latest episode, but Kerry and Ty really delivered on their podcasts with Dale. I probably listened to those shows a couple times a piece, just to really take in all the info that was mentioned

I think Kevin's interview showed a lot of insight into what he had to deal with stepping into the 29 (3) following the death of Sr. It was never really his team, it was always still Dale's. He points out they kept saying "this is the way Dale did it". Another thing he said it didn't start feeling like his team until GM left and Shell came in.

I get it most people would love to drive in the cup series but it sounds like they already had a plan laid out and then all of a sudden everything is changed. I never knew he was scheduled to make his first cup start at Atlanta in the #30 AOL that weekend
That is one area where I was actually empathetic to Kevin. It would drive me crazy to constantly hear “that’s not how we did it with Dale.” Hey, I’m not Dale!!!! The deification of Dale has always been interesting to me. He was extremely flawed. The Indy testing story was a great example. Kevin and engineers redid suspension and made car .9 a lap FASTER, but Dale went full Dale and refused to race it because it wasn’t HIS way.

Pretty good year of Episodes from the download… They had a few snoozers here and there but some really good ones too.

If I had to pick a ‘best of the season’, I’d have to say either the Kerry Earnhardt or the Ty Norris would be my favorite listen this year. Pretty intriguing shows right there. I haven’t gone through the latest episode, but Kerry and Ty really delivered on their podcasts with Dale. I probably listened to those shows a couple times a piece, just to really take in all the info that was mentioned
Good call. Those were two EXCELENT episodes. There were, as you said, some stinkers too. (Glanville and Spencer were both absolutely full of ****)

Good call. Those were two EXCELENT episodes. There were, as you said, some stinkers too. (Glanville and Spencer were both absolutely full of ****)
Yeah I had tried to forget that Glanville episode haha. I like to think maybe they had a guest cancel at the last minute or something and just grabbed the first person waiting outside the room

I got caught up in Harv's description of the Next Gen off the right rear with no front input. Dialing in understeer to make it turn which creates the nasty aero push in traffic. Have to fix the front. Why in the actual **** can we not have somebody in the ****** media describing the challenges of developing the Next Gen this way...and then, I don't know, have sone engineers on to discuss this? I know, I know....secrets....then find a retired engineer---I am looking at you Cole Pearn. This is the **** that I love about this sport

I got caught up in Harv's description of the Next Gen off the right rear with no front input. Dialing in understeer to make it turn which creates the nasty aero push in traffic. Have to fix the front. Why in the actual **** can we not have somebody in the ****** media describing the challenges of developing the Next Gen this way...and then, I don't know, have sone engineers on to discuss this? I know, I know....secrets....then find a retired engineer---I am looking at you Cole Pearn. This is the **** that I love about this sport
I was told Harv's opinion didn't matter. I shouldn't "hang on his every word".

I remember also being told that driver's opinions shouldnt matter and pretty much to "shut up and drive." Still excited for the new car to hit the track though, I pray it produces a product that excites new and old fans alike.

Both of you are a bit off the mark. Those were MY opinions, you weren't victimized..It doesn't become either of you

Harvick wants more power, Logano wants a car that is hard to drive, and McDowell says the car is just right, a proper race car. so pick your opinion. MYSELF, I don't pay a whole lot of attention to what drivers say.

They don't need to fix the front, they need to fix the rear. The problem is that without the big billboard of a right side quarter panel anymore the cars have nothing to lean on, aero-wise, to keep them from spinning out from a loss of rear grip. So they tighten the car up so that it won't spin like a top, and that's why it's too tight to drive when in dirty air.

They need to fix the rear to dial in grip so that they can free the car up more and then it won't be insanely tight when following somebody.

They don't need to fix the front, they need to fix the rear. The problem is that without the big billboard of a right side quarter panel anymore the cars have nothing to lean on, aero-wise, to keep them from spinning out from a loss of rear grip. So they tighten the car up so that it won't spin like a top, and that's why it's too tight to drive when in dirty air.

They need to fix the rear to dial in grip so that they can free the car up more and then it won't be insanely tight when following somebody.
If that is the case, I would think more front grip.
I haven't heard what the car does front or back that is causing the problem except Logano said the car is great passing on the right compared to the way the Gen 6 was, but right behind another car is the problem.

If that is the case, I would think more front grip.
I haven't heard what the car does front or back that is causing the problem except Logano said the car is great passing on the right compared to the way the Gen 6 was, but right behind another car is the problem.
No. More front grip would upset the balance even more and exacerbate the problem. More front grip is basically less rear grip. They don't need less rear grip, they're too short of rear grip and that's the problem. Listen to Harvick on the latest Dale Jr podcast, it's good insight.

No. More front grip would upset the balance even more and exacerbate the problem. More front grip is basically less rear grip. They don't need less rear grip, they're too short of rear grip and that's the problem. Listen to Harvick on the latest Dale Jr podcast, it's good insight.
I have
There were more opinions than his I bet

Late in the afternoon, drivers participating in Wednesday’s test held a meeting with NASCAR officials to share and assess feedback from the first day of on-track testing on an intermediate track.

I have
There were more opinions than his I bet

Late in the afternoon, drivers participating in Wednesday’s test held a meeting with NASCAR officials to share and assess feedback from the first day of on-track testing on an intermediate track.
OK?

This is the first DJD interview where I went in liking the guest and then actually switched to disliking them by the end.

I haven't really ever liked Harvick (especially lately) and I still don't after watching the DJD.

I only saw the condensed version on TV, but I can't believe the way he tries to justify his acts of douchebaggery. He said the beef with Chase was him "stepping up for his team" but in the same breath said he wouldn't have been mad if Chase had just wrecked him instead. Mike questioned him about it because that statement clearly made ZERO sense, and his answer was just hemming and hawing about nonsense and talking about the initial battle for the lead when they first made contact.

Same deal with the comments he made about Jr and trying to justify his position. Blah blah blah contract negotiations, LeBron James, fan perception of family legacy, changing the narrative, blah blah blah. Harvick is so full of ****.

The best thing to come out of that episode was sharing the talk with Childress a few days after Dale died. Harvick said if he didn't want to take Dale's ride he didn't have to, and Rick Mast was the backup plan. Damn I really wish that would have happened, I would have LOVED to see Mast get a shot in that car.

Every driver wants whatever benefits themselves the most. It's cool to hear the differing stances they all take but from a fan's perspective and a "what's best for the car/the sport" perspective we indeed shouldn't hang on to every word of any one guy.

Attachments

• Wedge Car.jpg
    Wedge Car.jpg
    401.8 KB · Views: 86
He doesn't like Harvick. Harvick's opinion is irrelevant.
and you hang on every word Harvick says like a love sick puppy dog :laugh: I have no problem with Harvick like some who continually trash him. He has an opinion, many drivers do. When he said the car needs more power, the flat footers start drooling. nothing new

and you hang on every word Harvick says like a love sick puppy dog :laugh: I have no problem with Harvick like some who continually trash him. He has an opinion, many drivers do. When he said the car needs more power, the flat footers start drooling. nothing new
Never said whether I like or disliked Harvick. Just said that Dale Jr download was worth watching. YMMV.

Nothing compares to the experience of Pennsboro in mid-October.
Was there once when they had sprint cars. Jack Hewitt blew up in hot laps. Was wandering around pits and found them swapping engines. They had trouble getting the engine on the drive coupler. Took 3 tries before got it stabbed. Rolled car back out of trailer and were thrashing, dropping tools everywhere and just scrambling. I started grabbing wrenches and organizing them across rear tires. One guy asked what i was doing? I said keep digging. Guys started calling out wrenches and I'd hit their hand with it. 12 minutes later, pushed-off. It was AWESOME! Tagged the rear and finished top 3. Maybe 2nd? First time I ever saw The Wild Child. SMOKING the RR in Qualifying.

Those were the days.

Was there once when they had sprint cars. Jack Hewitt blew up in hot laps. Was wandering around pits and found them swapping engines. They had trouble getting the engine on the drive coupler. Took 3 tries before got it stabbed. Rolled car back out of trailer and were thrashing, dropping tools everywhere and just scrambling. I started grabbing wrenches and organizing them across rear tires. One guy asked what i was doing? I said keep digging. Guys started calling out wrenches and I'd hit their hand with it. 12 minutes later, pushed-off. It was AWESOME! Tagged the rear and finished top 3. Maybe 2nd? First time I ever saw The Wild Child. SMOKING the RR in Qualifying.

Those were the days.
Hewitt showed up once in the mid-80's to the DTWC in a team car to Swartz. The ****pit was set up like a sprint. The steering wheel was almost horizontal.

So many memories........

Thanks for this. Listened to Harvick again, and yeah, your perspective makes sense.

Harvick wants more power, Logano wants a car that is hard to drive, and McDowell says the car is just right, a proper race car. so pick your opinion. MYSELF, I don't pay a whole lot of attention to what drivers say.
Yeah, I hear you on this, but it's fun to BS in the offseason. Good stuff.

Thanks for this. Listened to Harvick again, and yeah, your perspective makes sense.
Very hard for me to swallow with that big honking spoiler on the trunk myself. Now if it was a 3 incher I could see loosing rear grip. The problem as Logano sees it is that the cars can't follow right behind each other, passing on the right has improved, but too much turbulence when behind the car in front when following closely is the problem as Logano sees it. The cars aren't sealed to the track anymore and they depend on air flowing UNDER the car for much of their downforce, so turbulent air would really affect the frontal down force (tight) because the car is off the ground and down force is lost when closely following another car

Back
Top Bottom