Deegan Won Again

I would hope all young drivers do well and never get injured, regardless of gender. It's my opinion, (and that's all), the best asset they bring as they climb the ladder is RESPECT. It is earned. Winning races without dumping other drivers is respectful. But on the other hand there is a world of "fans" that believe you do whatever, whenever to whomever to get a win. That's fine, don't whine about it when it comes back around. It will show up someday.

Chase Elliott has 296k followers on Instagram. Hailie Deegan has 423k. And Instagram is the fastest growing social media network and has surpassed Facebook in popularity with younger Americans. It's also surpassed Twitter in relevancy.

Right now, there's nobody being talked about more in the sport of auto racing.

Chase Elliott has 296k followers on Instagram. Hailie Deegan has 423k. And Instagram is the fastest growing social media network and has surpassed Facebook in popularity with younger Americans. It's also surpassed Twitter in relevancy.

So dishonest. There's a reason you deceptively tried to talk down Twitter... :rolleyes:

Over 800,000 followers of Chase and less than 50,000 followers for Deegan. Kyle Busch has over 900,000. Some of the people leering at Hallie's Instagram should probably be on a Police List.

But, social media is probably not a great gauge to measure interest for an aging NASCAR demographic who are less likely to use social media to signal their fandom in supporting one NASCAR personality over another.

You should've at least been honest with us when you dismissed the Twitter numbers. Having dealt with others like you, that was the first thing I looked at -- Your guilty conscience was too obvious. :D

As for "star" -- that is a term of art. Deegan is on a very low NASCAR rung, so "known personality" is probably more accurate. There's little doubt that Deegan will bring more attention to NASCAR, it could be a great situation where everybody wins.

Last edited:

Don't tell anybody, but folks love a pretty girl, its been like that for a few years

There's a reason she has a bunch of followers on Instagram, and it doesn't have anything to do with racing.

I appreciate that you are singing the praises of this talented young lady, and I hope she is a superstar in the making, but lets not overhype this. In politics and everywhere else people have an over-inflated view of the relevance of social media. If you look at the actual numbers and you look at why certain people become darlings of social media, it's not nearly as impressive. Of those 423,000 Instagram followers she has, how many of them can name the series she races in or have ever watched a whole race that she was in? How many would she have if she looked like Tammy Jo Kirk?

Makes you wonder what other talent is down there waiting for real opportunities.

It's been that way forever. In music, there is probably better talent singing in Nashville or Austin bars than half the artists on the charts, but they didn't get a break. How many owners passed on Mark Martin before Roush gave him a shot? It took Harry Gant 10 years to be offered a quality ride, and even at that, it was a start-up team.

I have.

My aunt and uncle haven't. They have heard of Hailie Deegan.
Don't take this the wrong way but that's probably because Hailie Deegan and Alex Ocasio-Cortez is probably all you talk about during every family holiday diner.:) Joking aside...Hailie is doing a pretty good job in a race car but it's way to early to see how she will do in a cup car against the best in the business. I think she will be good for NASCAR and I hope she has a great career. As far as her being popular right now I think we all know why she is popular. Danica Patrick was and still is very, very popular.

Are you part of the family? Or do you work for them? A lot of promoting here.Never heard of her until I read about her here.

I will be honest I had heard of her a while back but it was because Andy was talking about her on RF. I did not know who she was before that.

So dishonest. There's a reason you deceptively tried to talk down Twitter... :rolleyes:

Over 800,000 followers of Chase and less than 50,000 followers for Deegan. Kyle Busch has over 900,000. Some of the people leering at Hallie's Instagram should probably be on a Police List.

But, social media is probably not a great gauge to measure interest for an aging NASCAR demographic who are less likely to use social media to signal their fandom in supporting one NASCAR personality over another.

You should've at least been honest with us when you dismissed the Twitter numbers. Having dealt with others like you, that was the first thing I looked at -- Your guilty conscience was too obvious. :D

As for "star" -- that is a term of art. Deegan is on a very low NASCAR rung, so "known personality" is probably more accurate. There's little doubt that Deegan will bring more attention to NASCAR, it could be a great situation where everybody wins.

I talk down Twitter because Twitter is dying - even if there are more people signed up. Instagram is quickly becoming more prominent.

When I say "biggest star," everyone needs to remember what all that encompasses. Deegan is going mainstream in ways other drivers should but aren't. Chase Elliott's a big star in this sport too, but even with commercials and Hooters, he's not recognizable to the mainstream. This sport has seemingly fallen that far.

I talk down Twitter because Twitter is dying - even if there are more people signed up. Instagram is quickly becoming more prominent.

When I say "biggest star," everyone needs to remember what all that encompasses. Deegan is going mainstream in ways other drivers should but aren't. Chase Elliott's a big star in this sport too, but even with commercials and Hooters, he's not recognizable to the mainstream. This sport has seemingly fallen that far.
Is Instagram a barometer now of popularity? (I am 34 and I have never nor do I ever want one.) I thought who sold the most merch, won the most popular driver award, earnings and commercial endorsements was the measuring stick for popularity.

Someone posted a photo of her before the race giving out autographs....it was a large crowd and I think every single one of them were in her line. She certainly moves the needle for racing.

Is Instagram a barometer now of popularity? (I am 34 and I have never nor do I ever want one.) I thought who sold the most merch, won the most popular driver award, earnings and commercial endorsements was the measuring stick for popularity.

Most popular driver only encompasses the Cup Series, and only the core fans give a **** about that. Commercial endorsements don't really tell the whole story either.

NASCAR racing isn't that mainstream anymore. If Chase Elliott came along 10=15 years ago, he would probably be a household name.

When I go to short tracks, people are talking about Hailie. When relatives of mine, who don't follow racing and don't know a thing about NASCAR, randomly message me asking if I've ever met Hailie Deegan or anything, that's a pretty good indicator to me that she's really popular. Hailie Deegan's attracting interest outside of the sport. She's generating buzz that, right now, nobody else is matching.

Deegan is a star right now with unlimited potential in that regard, much like Danica.

I do know that, when casual sports fans watch a NASCAR race on TV, like the Daytona 500, they tend to pull for Chase Elliott - and him winning the Daytona 500 or the Homestead Bowl (soon to be Phoenix Bowl) would be pretty big for the sport as well. Same for Bubba Wallace and Ryan Blaney.

Hailie Deegan's attracting interest outside of the sport.

She's generating buzz that, right now, nobody else is matching.

Deegan is a star right now with unlimited potential in that regard, much like Danica.

And we all know how that turned out for Danica with regard to success on the track as opposed to merely generating a buzz.

And we all know how that turned out for Danica with regard to success on the track as opposed to merely generating a buzz.

Her lack of success on the track is because of three things.

1. Not enough stock car experience.

2. To many of the back marker boys were jealous of the equipment she drove and wrecked her.

3 Not really enough talent for Cup racing.

Most popular driver only encompasses the Cup Series, and only the core fans give a sh!t about that. Commercial endorsements don't really tell the whole story either.

NASCAR racing isn't that mainstream anymore. If Chase Elliott came along 10=15 years ago, he would probably be a household name.

When I go to short tracks, people are talking about Hailie. When relatives of mine, who don't follow racing and don't know a thing about NASCAR, randomly message me asking if I've ever met Hailie Deegan or anything, that's a pretty good indicator to me that she's really popular. Hailie Deegan's attracting interest outside of the sport. She's generating buzz that, right now, nobody else is matching.

I do know that, when casual sports fans watch a NASCAR race on TV, like the Daytona 500, they tend to pull for Chase Elliott - and him winning the Daytona 500 or the Homestead Bowl (soon to be Phoenix Bowl) would be pretty big for the sport as well. Same for Bubba Wallace and Ryan Blaney.
Thanks for the insight...... its interesting you have this opinion. Not good or bad I am saying, just a different way of looking at things.

Someone posted a photo of her before the race giving out autographs....it was a large crowd and I think every single one of them were in her line. She certainly moves the needle for racing.
You should have just put your post in the Chicago race thread because that is where the heavy Deegan discussion is going on right now...even though she wasn't even in the race.:D

Yeah, that may have been a poorly chosen comparison. Andy certainly pitched that one slow and right over the middle of the plate.

The operative word is Haillie is "A" star. Most of us with a head on our shoulders know she has a hell of a long way to go to be cup material, but being a female in a hairy legged male dominated sport is interesting. Hopefully Degan will get some shots in the truck series. The competition in that series alone will be a fairly accurate tell tale on how it is going to go further for up the food chain for the most part. She sounds serious about making a career racing in Nascar has good car control and doesn't take any **** from the competition and I believe she is ranked #2 in the west series. There have been plenty of drivers with that record or worse who have been given rides in the truck series.

I'm really happy she's not running Trucks this year. Hopefully that means full time ARCA maybe then next year?

Geez, when she's winning in the Cup series she then will have "arrived", until then it's all hype and speculation. The late, great Davey Allison came to the Cup level with very little hoopla. Yes, it was a known fact he was Bobbys oldest. That was it. What did he do? Won TWICE in his rookie season running 22 of the 29 events. And throw in the fact it was Robert Yates first years as a team owner. No hype and never ending promotions, just results. Is Deegan going to be "Big Time"? Who knows? Nobody!! That's who. It's crazy how some people go off the deep end just knowing in their hearts and minds that it's going to happen, it has to. Until it does, I wouldn't invest too much into it. Only time will tell.

Back
Top Bottom