Fall/Winter Weather Thread

While a lot of Virgina is getting freezing rain or snow, I'm sitting here with just plain old cold-ass rain. Damn sure ain't stepping foot outside today.

We starting to melt some stuff away today but not going anywhere.To many idiots out there today for their first time this weekend.

It's cold outside but not in here (my brother did the rock work).

Fireplace.jpg

Got around 4", ice and snow, mostly snow. I've been splitting wood and keeping the wood stove going. Dog loves the snow so plenty of outdoors walking. Finally broke out the mini bike and wore her out. Takes some doing because she is a greyhound. First time I used that bike in the snow and ice, great fun.

most schools look to be closed tomorrow, or at least waiting till 10AM to start.

I had. Rain, rain, and now it's raining. And cold. If it's gonna be this cold and miserable, I wish it would just snow and look pretty,, even if only for a while

24* here this morning --- but for the first time in almost a week, the SUN is shining !
I can take cold if I have a little sunshine to go with it.

Edit --- just checked the temp at a friend's in Helena, MT. She is at 25*. Texas is colder than Montana!

The terrible cold predicted never got here. The lowest it has been is around33 degrees but the drizzle ………………. After not walking Sunday, decided I'd best get my legs moving and walked 4 miles Monday morning. Temps around 34 degrees with a misty rain. Got wet but didn't get wet all the way through. Gotta get in at least three miles today even with rain predicted all day (90%) and tomorrow, no rain but a temp drop to 23 degrees low and high 47. We'll see since last time that didn't happen.

On Sunday when the snow was here, there were like five major accidents on the freeways, including one fatality and another with a 24 car pile up. The local police compared it to the "big one" at Daytona or Talladega. I saw the accidents on the news but Jim Utter retweeted the news story today with the cop comparing it to NASCAR:

http://www.wisn.com/news/south-east...23398136/-/d6wy9ez/-/index.html#ixzz2n28HOfJA

"If people watch Nascar, and they watch the Daytona 500 or Talledega, where they wait for what's called the Big Crash, where all the cars crash because they're all so close together, that's what this was like -- only there was nobody there to stop it with a yellow flag and slow all the other cars down," Miller said. "So you had that big, huge crash, and then cars just continued to just pile into it and taking evasive action. It didn't stop. You know, it was five, 10 minutes this went on for. It just kept going and going and going. I mean that's what was helpless about it."

I cannot believe the people walking around on the highway with cars still coming. And why on Earth were some flying along in such
treacherous conditions? To be honest, they looked like the drivers down here when we have crap weather, and we don't really know
how to handle it.

I love Wisconsin.
I was born there. In Minnesota (pronounced like the Swedish Chef from the Muppets would say it) it's going to be around zero for a few days and we've been getting a dusting of snow the last couple nights. The road chemicals don't work below 10* to melt the ice & snow so the main roads are clean but slick with black ice (vapor from car exhaust condensing on the payment) and you can't really see the black ice unless you catch a reflection on it so you assume it is everywhere.

Couldn't believe the difficulty the maintainers and front loaders were having trying to break up and remove that ice.

At some point you just got to resort to explosives. Those roads are ball joint killers.

I cannot believe the people walking around on the highway with cars still coming. And why on Earth were some flying along in such
treacherous conditions? To be honest, they looked like the drivers down here when we have crap weather, and we don't really know
how to handle it.
I think because people think here we usually get feet of snow by the end of summer and they're used to that they can handle 1-3 inches like it's nothing. Always a few accidents here with the first or second snowfalls but Sunday was the worst I've ever seen. Major pileups all over the freeway system, almost going in every direction.

Back
Top Bottom