Final Four

Huh?

There are 6-8 teams that have a realistic shot of winning a championship, and maybe 16 that have a shot at winning a race in a given season, yet 40 still show up to race every Sunday. Each lone race is an event worth celebrating. Why does your boy Kyle Busch bother racing in Xfinity and Trucks part time? He can't win a championship, yet he does it anyway. Imagine that!

Look, you have only been a fan for a couple years, I get it. You don't understand/appreciate the history of motorsports and that's fine. Just try and keep an open mind when 95% of the long time fans are telling you that the "old way" was pretty damn good. I'm 31 years old, I'm not some old timer stuck in the past, and I'm telling you that the success of NASCAR doesn't absolutely depend on a close championship battle every year in order to survive. Sometimes a race can be enjoyable simply because it's a race, nothing more. These stick and ball comparisons are ridiculous.
Yep this

Huh?

There are 6-8 teams that have a realistic shot of winning a championship, and maybe 16 that have a shot at winning a race in a given season, yet 40 still show up to race every Sunday. Each lone race is an event worth celebrating. Why does your boy Kyle Busch bother racing in Xfinity and Trucks part time? He can't win a championship, yet he does it anyway. Imagine that!

Look, you have only been a fan for a couple years, I get it. You don't understand/appreciate the history of motorsports and that's fine. Just try and keep an open mind when 95% of the long time fans are telling you that the "old way" was pretty damn good. I'm 31 years old, I'm not some old timer stuck in the past, and I'm telling you that the success of NASCAR doesn't absolutely depend on a close championship battle every year in order to survive. Sometimes a race can be enjoyable simply because it's a race, nothing more. These stick and ball comparisons are ridiculous.

Would you really like to see races with 16, 12, 8, and 4 drivers only throughout the playoffs? A NASCAR race has 40 drivers and that's part of the challenge. That would hurt the sport more than you believe this playoff has.

I've been a fan for more than a couple years, I've been going to races at Kentucky Speedway before they had NASCAR and have even worked races there just to be close to the races. Been to races at Nashville and Bristol all in my youth. I've seen NASCAR pre Chase and pre playoff. Just because someone enjoys this playoff format doesn't mean they're new to the sport.

Kyle's a driver and loves to race, he can't help he can't win the championship yet can still enter the race, rules are rules. Can still help his owner win a championship.

I'm not saying that the old system was bad but it had its flaws as this playoff system has its. Nothing can be perfect. This playoff insurses that every race has something on the line and that's good for everyone involved.

To be fair they gave Truex a regular season trophy. Main problem is people see playoffs as a gimmick which I don't understand. Are all playoffs gimmicks then? I've heard a driver could win 35 races and still lose the Championship. That's how a playoff works, just ask the New England Patriots. Im not the biggest fan of stage racing either and think the playoffs should be run like a standard race to distinguish it from the regular season a bit. Stage racing could be alot better though with just a few tweaks.

Well let's compare here. I mean, in football, baseball, basketball, etc...they don't play every single team every single week. So that's why a playoff is needed in those sports. In racing, you have a chance to beat and be better than each and every single one of them people every single week. So it doesn't compare.

Well let's compare here. I mean, in football, baseball, basketball, etc...they don't play every single team every single week. So that's why a playoff is needed in those sports. In racing, you have a chance to beat and be better than each and every single one of them people every single week. So it doesn't compare.

It does compare though because NASCAR has a playoff. I believe most of you have a problem with acceptance and change.

It does compare though because NASCAR has a playoff. I believe most of you have a problem with acceptance and change.
I'm saying the reason doesn't compare lol. It's no point in playoffs when you face everyone every week.

Plus if they want to be like other sports, if you don't make the playoff in OTHER sports you're done once the playoffs start.

The "playoffs" so to speak in Nascar are a mirage, they really are because like Blaze said you are facing all 40 of your opponents, not just one every week. It's fabricated... look racing wouldn't be about stages, the chase, and the final 4 if we had cars that produced good racing. I'm a very big fan of racing, I'll be 57 in April, I've seen the evolution of the sport of Nascar over the last 50 years, so I think i know what I'm saying when I state the racing really does suck. The cars need to be fixed so we actually have side by side racing without having to falsely create it with a stage! The cars need to be identifiable, not just by a little grill work either. This fabricated racing isn't working or more fans would be flocking to the sport in mass numbers. I've watched a total of 2 races from start to finish and fell asleep for half of one of them. The rest of the season I tuned in to see what was happening then either put a baseball game on, golf or football. I never did that back in the day, watched every lap of every race, and texted or called my buddy 20 times about what was happening on the track. Now you watch the last 25 laps of a race and that's all you need. The sport is not healthy, the stage gimmicks and the chase aren't improving that health or tv ratings would be up and so would fan attendance, stop kidding yourself that these gimmicks are a good thing.

I don't have a problem with sensible changes. I do have a problem with the fact that winning the final race means more than winning any 6-8 other races. If you want a fair playoff then simply count points earned for the entire 10 races and the driver with the most points is the champion.
I would also like to see them drop this fluke win and your in. Take the top 10 cars in points for the first 30 races and let them run for the championship in the final 6 races and make those tracks
of various lengths. Also cut out any super speedways.

I don't have a problem with sensible changes. I do have a problem with the fact that winning the final race means more than winning any 6-8 other races. If you want a fair playoff then simply count points earned for the entire 10 races and the driver with the most points is the champion.
I would also like to see them drop this fluke win and your in. Take the top 10 cars in points for the first 30 races and let them run for the championship in the final 6 races and make those tracks
That I could probably support, the way it is structured now is so convoluted...it's silly.

I have a problem with a change that was adopted explicitly to force a 'Game 7' ending to the season, especially a change that possibly denies the championship to the most dominant team. I have a problem with a system that emphasizes some races over others on the schedule.

I'd like to see the plate race replaced with a road course in the chase.

And if not a road course, then at least another short track.

I'd like to see the plate race replaced with a road course in the chase.

And if not a road course, then at least another short track.
Replacing the plate race? Hellz no! One of the most watched/attended of the final 10.

A road course? Hellz yeah! In the meantime, the road-race @ Charlotte next Chase season will have to suffice.

If I had my choice, we'd be going to Martinsville for the final 10. :cool:

Replacing the plate race? Hellz no! One of the most watched/attended of the final 10.

A road course? Hellz yeah! In the meantime, the road-race @ Charlotte next Chase season will have to suffice.

If I had my choice, we'd be going to Martinsville for the final 10. :cool:
If I had my choice, there'd be no final 10. ;)

Of course not but what's the point of running 36 point races if it could be settled before the 36th race.
Final position determines how big a check the team gets from NASCAR, and often if the driver gets a performance-based check from the owner. It can determines starting order and pit selection for the first three races in 2018 if qualifying is rained out. If a team is near the bottom, it can determine whether it keeps its charter.

It may not matter to you who finishes the season in third, thirteen, or thirtieth, but it sure as hell matters to the teams. That's why notions that they'll just go out and run a parade without competing are ill-informed.

Final position determines how big a check the team gets from NASCAR, and often if the driver gets a performance-based check from the owner. It can determines starting order and pit selection for the first three races in 2018 if qualifying is rained out. If a team is near the bottom, it can determine whether it keeps its charter.

It may not matter to you who finishes the season in third, thirteen, or thirtieth, but it sure as hell matters to the teams. That's why notions that they'll just go out and run a parade without competing are ill-informed.

Never said they just be running a parade. Yeah a 36th race with nothing on the line could also be good but its not smart for business. As others have pointed out its about money and a playoff is good for everyone invested in NASCAR. Insures every race has something on the line and an actual championship race to promote.

Never said they just be running a parade. Yeah a 36th race with nothing on the line could also be good but its not smart for business. As others have pointed out its about money and a playoff is good for everyone invested in NASCAR. Insures every race has something on the line and an actual championship race to promote.
If it is so good why is attendance down , why are tv ratings down also?

So you'd rather they just go back to the Chase? I don't see how you believe the final race means more than winning 6-8 other races. Those 6-8 could get you in the championship, look at Truex.

So you'd rather they just go back to the Chase? I don't see how you believe the final race means more than winning 6-8 other races. Those 6-8 could get you in the championship, look at Truex.
No chase....it's not working, like i said if it were the popularity of Nascar wouldn't be tanking!

MONEY. They get sponsor money for 36 races and they have to pay personnel for the whole year.

Exactly, playoffs ensure that those 36 all have a championship on the line as well which is better for sponsors, advertisers and most fans.

I'm saying the reason doesn't compare lol. It's no point in playoffs when you face everyone every week.

Plus if they want to be like other sports, if you don't make the playoff in OTHER sports you're done once the playoffs start.

That's what makes NASCAR different but at the same time a playoff is still plausible. NASCAR I don't look at it the same way you do as seeing these drivers as teams like other sports, that's not comparable.You have to have 40 drivers to run a races and eliminating drivers completely would hurt NASCAR worse.

No chase....it's not working, like i said if it were the popularity of Nascar wouldn't be tanking!

I'm of the thought if this was the case then other motorsports than run a pure points system would be seeing an increase in viewers and attendance but they haven't. Motorsports as a whole is on the decline.

In professional stick-and-ball sports, there is no sporting reason for a playoff, only marketing reasons. There is no sporting reason to have divisions, conferences, leagues, wild cards, playoffs, or game 7's... those are just marketing... they exist solely to boost fan interest and excitement. The exact same arguments about why a 36-race points total is righteous in Nascar also apply to MLB, NBA, NHL. Baseball teams could play a balanced schedule against all the other teams, and at the end of the regular season, the one with the most wins is the champion. The only exception is the NFL, with 32 teams. They would need two divisions... play every team in your division, and the best team from each division advances to the championship game (a one-game playoff rather than eleven games involving twelve teams).

So if Nascar having a playoff is a "gimmick," it is in good company because every other sport also has its own gimmicks.

In professional stick-and-ball sports, there is no sporting reason for a playoff, only marketing reasons. There is no sporting reason to have divisions, conferences, leagues, wild cards, playoffs, or game 7's... those are just marketing... they exist solely to boost fan interest and excitement. The exact same arguments about why a 36-race points total is righteous in Nascar also apply to MLB, NBA, NHL. Baseball teams could play a balanced schedule against all the other teams, and at the end of the regular season, the one with the most wins is the champion. The only exception is the NFL, with 32 teams. They would need two divisions... play every team in your division, and the best team from each division advances to the championship game (a one-game playoff rather than eleven games involving twelve teams).

So if Nascar having a playoff is a "gimmick," it is in good company because every other sport also has its own gimmicks.
You are kidding right?

I'm of the thought if this was the case then other motorsports than run a pure points system would be seeing an increase in viewers and attendance but they haven't. Motorsports as a whole is on the decline.
As much as Nascar has in the past 5 years, from filling stands that hold 160k to coming down to half of that? I think you are wrong. Racing as a whole might be losing fans, but Nascar has lost the most hands down.

Exactly, playoffs ensure that those 36 all have a championship on the line as well which is better for sponsors, advertisers and most fans.
So not having a championship on the line with say 4 races left in the season is bad thing because some one clinched. Yet those other 39 cars are still racing for a win, that is not dimished racing, only dimished for 1 individual.

So not having a championship on the line with say 4 races left in the season is bad thing because some one clinched. Yet those other 39 cars are still racing for a win, that is not dimished racing, only dimished for 1 individual.

I didn't say it was a bad thing or "deminished" racing. How you've managed to come to that conclusion, I don't know. It's not an ideal format in my opinion same as the playoff format isn't.

Why you laughing, look up the stats pre case /post chase attendance, tv ratings, number of sponsors in the sport. ..that will give you conclusive evidence the Chase hasn't done anything to make Nascar better, it is in fact just the opposite.

Ok so what is your solution?

I think they are going in the right direction with the Playoffs. I do believe they should make the regular season championship a bigger deal and they've taken steps to do that with the 15 point bonus. That little trophy wasn't anything to look a tough.

Back
Top Bottom