Hendrick Motorsport News

I don’t think he’s a villain but he’s not interesting either way. Not likable enough nor unlikable enough to really move the needle at all. Pure milquetoast.

Yeah I dunno, I love competiton but some of these guys don’t bring the branding or entertainment value. I dunno I think Byron would ironically look good in the 12 car. I don’t think he should be out of a good ride or anything but I don’t tune in to watch him in the 24 for whatever reason. Maybe because that scheme looks meh.

Same thing that used to be said about Jimmie Johnson. How did that work out?
I'll add Jeff Gordon to that also. Hendrick like those types of personalities it seems, Kyle Busch was an example that didn't work no matter how many races he won. Byron has a long term contract, in fact they all have long term contracts. So excuse me when I interrupt a plug and player who thinks they can insert any driver into the lineup. It ain't going to happen unless something I don't want to think about happens.

I don’t think he’s a villain but he’s not interesting either way. Not likable enough nor unlikable enough to really move the needle at all. Pure milquetoast.

Not moving the needle is MUCH more of a NASCAR problem than a team problem. As long as William continues to win races and finish well up in the points, it really doesn't matter much to HMS if he has a pulse or heartbeat at all. Drivers that move the needle CAN factor in sponsorship, but sometimes in a negative way, not always positive, and with sponsorships and merchandise sales being what the are, it may matter less than ever. Most of these sponsors are not using the drivers to be the face of the company, so it matters little to them if they are boring, as long as they don't embarrass them. In the case of Almirola, if they like you enough, you don't even have to run good.

I'll add Jeff Gordon to that also. Hendrick like those types of personalities it seems, Kyle Busch was an example that didn't work no matter how many races he won. Byron has a long term contract, in fact they all have long term contracts. So excuse me when I interrupt a plug and player who thinks they can insert any driver into the lineup. It ain't going to happen unless something I don't want to think about happens.

What’s the facts about the ratings.

Same thing that used to be said about Jimmie Johnson. How did that work out?
I found Jimmie a lot more interesting than William. Maybe he’ll open up more as he gets older, I just don’t find him particularly interesting and successful guys who don’t have dynamic personalities, good or bad, don’t really help the show.

Not moving the needle is MUCH more of a NASCAR problem than a team problem. As long as William continues to win races and finish well up in the points, it really doesn't matter much to HMS if he has a pulse or heartbeat at all. Drivers that move the needle CAN factor in sponsorship, but sometimes in a negative way, not always positive, and with sponsorships and merchandise sales being what the are, it may matter less than ever. Most of these sponsors are not using the drivers to be the face of the company, so it matters little to them if they are boring, as long as they don't embarrass them. In the case of Almirola, if they like you enough, you don't even have to run good.
I don’t think it’s a problem for HMS at all. I do think it’s something to consider at the sport-wide level. I’m not saying he needs to change his personality, but a guy that wins a lot but isn’t outwardly exciting doesn’t help make for a fun show.

That's your option. If ratings were important to owners, the field would be full of Hooters girls. Wins and sponsor happiness matter far more.

Ratings don’t matter to owners? No offense but that’s a hoot considering where TV money comes from.

I found Jimmie a lot more interesting than William. Maybe he’ll open up more as he gets older, I just don’t find him particularly interesting and successful guys who don’t have dynamic personalities, good or bad, don’t really help the show.
For sure a driver who is a character and successful is the jackpot, but it isn't necessary in all cases. Compared to Petty and Earnhardt, Johnson pales in comparison in fan entertainment value. Chad was more interesting.

Ratings don’t matter to owners? No offense but that’s a hoot considering where TV money comes from.

I think team owners CARE, as they should, just not enough that they're going to push aside winners for people that "move the needle". Isn't that the whole argument against Hailie Deegan? Does Rick Hendrick wish William was the life of the party? Maybe, but now what are you going to do about it? Remember that in the case of Elliott and Byron, Hendrick got involved with them when they were still in high school. How do you know what they are going to be as adults? The few times I was around Kyle Busch as an 18 year old, he didn't say boo to ANYBODY. In my opinion, Kyle Larson is as dull as watching paint dry outside the race car. Do you NOT hire him because of it? Maybe Rick should have hired Katelyn. She seems to have ten times more personality than her husband.

I think team owners CARE, as they should, just not enough that they're going to push aside winners for people that "move the needle". Isn't that the whole argument against Hailie Deegan? Does Rick Hendrick wish William was the life of the party? Maybe, but now what are you going to do about it? Remember that in the case of Elliott and Byron, Hendrick got involved with them when they were still in high school. How do you know what they are going to be as adults? The few times I was around Kyle Busch as an 18 year old, he didn't say boo to ANYBODY. In my opinion, Kyle Larson is as dull as watching paint dry outside the race car. Do you NOT hire him because of it? Maybe Rick should have hired Katelyn. She seems to have ten times more personality than her husband.

I’m a fan of the 24. They take the $$$ they can get (that Raptor scheme ain’t it) but the fact of the matter is the scheme looks bad & the driver is a better fit at Ford or Toyota lol. Just a fan opinion on what I like.

I think Kyle is a bit quiet of a personality, but part of it is the 5 isn’t a car that requires personality.

I’m not sure what to think, this is a sport that needs a bit more entertainment value off the track sometimes and I don’t feel entertained by Byron in the 24.

Uh, he was asked a question. That's what Q&A is for.
As he says he wants to honor the process. Kyle Busch figured it out…kind of. Everything is great. Jeff is not a victim. He knows he doesn’t need to answer everything.

Yes. I don't disagree as far as Sunday went. I'm not using dominated interchangeably with pace though. I think that's where we are differing.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Agreed.

From what I remember, Jimmie was a "my **** don't drink" California frat bro who pissed off a lot of fans in 05. Dedicating his Daytona 500 win to his "haterz" was classic.

After the championship in 2006, he cooperated out. Not sure why he became such a cooperate guy, when apparently he's been the complete opposite of that

Jeffy. Convict. Now the Chain Gain.

It's been a great season so far but the real excitement is in how many new names @Revman will create for HMS over the year.

Good grief, the season isn't even a quarter of the way over, and we've got 3 already LOL

From what I remember, Jimmie was a "my **** don't drink" California frat bro who pissed off a lot of fans in 05. Dedicating his Daytona 500 win to his "haterz" was classic.

After the championship in 2006, he cooperated out. Not sure why he became such a cooperate guy, when apparently he's been the complete opposite of that

There was tons of hate for Johnson when he was on his winning terror. I think part of it was his white toast personality. I mean look at Jr's fan base, he didn't win diddly in comparison, but a quarter of the stands would empty when he wrecked out.

There was tons of hate for Johnson when he was on his winning terror. I think part of it was his white toast personality. I mean look at Jr's fan base, he didn't win diddly in comparison, but a quarter of the stands would empty when he wrecked out.
I remember him wrecking at Charlotte during his streak, and you could hear the audience cheer the **** out of him.

I also remember he pissed off a lot of drivers in 2005 for being a wrecking ball at speedways, and fans were fed up with him too

I remember him wrecking at Charlotte during his streak, and you could hear the audience cheer the **** out of him.

I also remember he pissed off a lot of drivers in 2005 for being a wrecking ball at speedways, and fans were fed up with him too

People were tired of Johnson winning. That didn't happen as I remember when Sr. was winning all of his races. Sure there were a few, but Johnson didn't bring out the passion of the fans when he won like a Sr. did or Petty.

I’m a fan of the 24. They take the $$$ they can get (that Raptor scheme ain’t it) but the fact of the matter is the scheme looks bad & the driver is a better fit at Ford or Toyota lol. Just a fan opinion on what I like.

I think Kyle is a bit quiet of a personality, but part of it is the 5 isn’t a car that requires personality.

I’m not sure what to think, this is a sport that needs a bit more entertainment value off the track sometimes and I don’t feel entertained by Byron in the 24.

I have to admit that in almost 50 years of race fandom, I have never once thought of a driver being a good fit for a car number or a car brand based on personality.

I have to admit that in almost 50 years of race fandom, I have never once thought of a driver being a good fit for a car number or a car brand based on personality.

Really? You think William Byron’s “he’s a piece of ****” against the 22 is a good example of what the 24 car is?

I’ll take it one step further, I think the 24 car looks terrible with that scheme. Who the hell is designing that?

Really? You think William Byron’s “he’s a piece of ****” against the 22 is a good example of what the 24 car is?

I’ll take it one step further, I think the 24 car looks terrible with that scheme. Who the hell is designing that?

Been a fan of the 24 car since the first time it hit the track. Never thought about what it is other than being a winning car number. Let's not pretend Jeff was an angel either. Personally, I was very sad to see Chase move out of the 24 because I LOVED the idea of my new favorite driving my old favorite's car, but I realize why Chase wanted to drive the 9. By the way, I agree on the paint schemes, the Raptor scheme is awful and the Axalta scheme makes we want to barf. Sam Bass, where are you now? I like the Liberty schemes for the most part.

Been a fan of the 24 car since the first time it hit the track. Never thought about what it is other than being a winning car number. Let's not pretend Jeff was an angel either. Personally, I was very sad to see Chase move out of the 24 because I LOVED the idea of my new favorite driving my old favorite's car, but I realize why Chase wanted to drive the 9. By the way, I agree on the paint schemes, the Raptor scheme is awful and the Axalta scheme makes we want to barf. Sam Bass, where are you now? I like the Liberty schemes for the most part.

So what did Jeff do that was so bad lol? Get into it with Kenseth too much? I just think they need a guy like Zane Smith that fits the mold.

Yeah lol

"My **** don't stink" is what I meant to type.

From 02-05, he was edgier, seemed to frustrate drivers as well. And when he won the 500 in 06, he dedicated the win to his "haters" in victory lane.

He was a bit ****y, and just acted like a sort of California cool Frat Bro.

After the championship in 2006, he became more robotic. But he acted very different in front of a camera those first few years.

Yeah lol

"My **** don't stink" is what I meant to type.

From 02-05, he was edgier, seemed to frustrate drivers as well. And when he won the 500 in 06, he dedicated the win to his "haters" in victory lane.

He was a bit ****y, and just acted like a sort of California cool Frat Bro.

After the championship in 2006, he became more robotic. But he acted very different in front of a camera those first few years.

Where is the video of what you’re talking about? I thought Jimmie has always been Jimmie. Always did stink up the show (no disrespect Id say the 48 is tied as the GOAT) even back in 2004.

You don't like the driver. You don't like the way the car looks. This team isn't even the same #24 that Jeff raced; that was renumbered as the #9 when Chase got in.

I thought @Revman's devotion to a brand was silly, but being enamored of a number? Sheesh.

You kids just don't know how it is.
I strongly suspect I have at least twenty years on you, but let me know if you were born before 1960.

When it was a thing, there was a lot more difference between the brands, and NASCAR wasn't doing much to create parity.

I strongly suspect I have at least twenty years on you, but let me know if you were born before 1960.

When it was a thing, there was a lot more difference between the brands, and NASCAR wasn't doing much to create parity.
I'm just joking about the age thing man....I wish we could go back to "that thing." That was fun. People would get pissed because they defended their brand. Passion. Loved it. That was NASCAR. You know....where the cars mattered.... I get that we need to save money.....so the Next Gen is supposed to help with that....but ya know, who is winning everything? Same guy....and we are dumping money into a one off race this weekend....to save money?

I love this sport so damn much, but you refer to my connection to it as "silly." Here's to a few million more silly bastards tuning in, and living or dying (kind of) the results because they care that much.

You don't like the driver. You don't like the way the car looks. This team isn't even the same #24 that Jeff raced; that was renumbered as the #9 when Chase got in.

I thought @Revman's devotion to a brand was silly, but being enamored of a number? Sheesh.

Joe Gibbs Racing seems pretty enamored about their numbers :idunno:

Where is the video of what you’re talking about? I thought Jimmie has always been Jimmie. Always did stink up the show (no disrespect Id say the 48 is tied as the GOAT) even back in 2004.
I'm not sure which video you're talking about?

"My **** don't stink" was not in reference to a video clip, rather it was just sort of the attitude I felt he embodied early on in his career.

If you're asking about him dedicating the Daytona 500 win to his haters, I'll link that for you.

Back
Top Bottom