How will NASCAR enforce this?

1) If the pics are accurate they are cheating.

2) So what. If ya ain't cheatin' ya ain't tryin'.

Actually there is a genuine difference between innovating around the current rules and surreptitiously breaking the current rules. If this is the former, that does not meet the definition of cheating in most sporting contexts. If they did break a written specification and find a way to hide it until now, then sure, that's cheating.

They’ve got more than just lexan flexing there.

f6zawnzloyj01.jpg

You guys realize that cars are taken back to the R&D Center each and every week. If they're doing something, NASCAR has full access to the car. They'll figure it out.
Because NASCAR is the full embodiment of competence when it comes to stock car racing :rolleyes:

These are the same people that came up with the “overtime line” and handed out faulty lug guns, a technology that is standard and been perfected for decades.

They’ve got more than just lexan flexing there.

f6zawnzloyj01.jpg

I don't see anything. Why are you posting this? Please post similar shots of the other 35 entrants yesterday. I won't see anything there either, just a bunch of race cars. But I had to chime in.

Listening to Moody play 100% dumb with callers about this today was completely infuriating. Like my God, have a backbone. Or at the very least have your own opinion for a change. It's like someone pays the man hush money.

i still have to race on my dvr,what lap are these pictures taking?

Listening to Moody play 100% dumb with callers about this today was completely infuriating. Like my God, have a backbone. Or at the very least have your own opinion for a change. It's like someone pays the man hush money.

voice was probably gone after screaming hysterically during the Vegas race.

Kind of like the rest of the NASCAR press corps...a homer.

Some great video on NASCAR America just now about this. Was plain as day in the alternate photos and clips they showed - to all of the "photoshop/illusion" folks. They plaid the radio chatter between Chase and Alan discussing it also.

Kyle Pettty and DJ insist something probably just broke in that area to make it such an obvious thing. Coupled with the fact that they looked at photos from last week and it wasn't notable then.

Some great video on NASCAR America just now about this. Was plain as day in the alternate photos and clips they showed - to all of the "photoshop/illusion" folks. They plaid the radio chatter between Chase and Alan discussing it also.

Kyle Pettty and DJ insist something probably just broke in that area to make it such an obvious thing. Coupled with the fact that they looked at photos from last week and it wasn't notable then.
Can you imagine if NASCAR R&D tests the vehicle and determines that the buckling of the roof at race speed actually hurt the aero and slowed the 4 car. Oh the horror.

so Harvick won with and without this new zombie roof.

I don't see anything. Why are you posting this? Please post similar shots of the other 35 entrants yesterday. I won't see anything there either, just a bunch of race cars. But I had to chime in.
0ccbd7b53a0e222c3fab84bf1693eaeaa5b69958cbdf2510cc1317f40d0d5c7e.jpg

Harvick's already locked into the lottery so a little cheating won't hurt them at all. He's just going for wins now. I think he could have lapped the whole field yesterday if he wanted to but he didn't want to make it look so obvious.

Last edited:
Because NASCAR is the full embodiment of competence when it comes to stock car racing :rolleyes:

These are the same people that came up with the “overtime line” and handed out faulty lug guns, a technology that is standard and been perfected for decades.
Is it fair to maliciously disparage the people who work as mechanics and engineers at the R&D center for rules made by NASCAR execs? The people are R&D are regular people who just happen to work for NASCAR. They will report their findings and that's the end of their job. What the execs and rules enforcement folks choose to do with that info is out of their control.

Is it fair to maliciously disparage the people who work as mechanics and engineers at the R&D center for rules made by NASCAR execs? The people are R&D are regular people who just happen to work for NASCAR. They will report their findings and that's the end of their job. What the execs and rules enforcement folks choose to do with that info is out of their control.
“Maliciously” lol.

Harvick's already locked into the lottery so a little cheating won't hurt them at all. He's just going for wins now. I think he could have lapped the whole field yesterday if he wanted to but he didn't want to make it look so obvious.
I think we saw plenty of that last year also..different color, different number

Am I the only one that thinks this is crazy ingenious?

Thinner material (possibly) to make the right rear roof flex to create that extra bit of downforce? Pretty freaking smart by the SHR engineers and to pass scrutinering with no issue? I like it, by any means to win, so find that extra step.

Am I the only one that thinks this is crazy ingenious?

Thinner material (possibly) to make the right rear roof flex to create that extra bit of downforce? Pretty freaking smart by the SHR engineers and to pass scrutinering with no issue? I like it, by any means to win, so find that extra step.
You are not , its pretty freaking smart to be honest.

Working in that grey area

I'm interested to hear what Harvick himself has to say about it on his Sirius show tomorrow night

In the NBC clip, Petty is initially very dismissive of the whole thing, but then he and Jarrett almost come around to implying that if something deliberate was behind it, the degree to which it caved in surely must be accidental, because they don't believe Childers and SHR would do anything that obvious. Does that make sense to you guys with the knowledge on the parts in question? The suggestion seemed to be that they were possibly experimenting with designing some flex into it, and something went wrong causing far more than intended.

I don’t think this is deliberate.
It probably isnt, but that doesnt change that it was done on for a gain, its a pretty ingenious idea. Thee 4 team would know doing something like this would be been seen, and they would not get away with it, so I cant see them doing it , they are smarter than that. The last thing you want to do when working in whats left of the grey area is not to bring attention to it.

Neither do I.

The roof panels are 24 gauge steel stampings and carry a manufacturer’s part number. My guess is a broken body mount.
If it were deliberate they’d have been screwed if it somehow compromised the rear window and how it attaches and seals to the body. It would’ve been a pretty big gamble to chance having to make repairs mid-race.

Back
Top Bottom