How will NASCAR enforce this?

There are no supporting structures for the roof panel other than its mounting points. It’s 24 gauge material ... quite thin and given what we see in the door area, flexible.

The back window is not glass but rather 3/16” Lexan ... also flexible.
I know it's not actually glass.. Plexi glass or whatever.. same thing.. Still interesting

I don't think it is the glass :D
According to Racing Insights, his Ford has turned more fastest laps (380) over the past 10 unrestricted races than any driver (easily outpacing 2017 title runner-up Kyle Busch’s 279 and Truex’s 239), and his average running position in that span ranks second only to Truex.

And the speed has been most noticeable at the critical 1.5-mile layouts such as Atlanta Motor Speedway and Las Vegas Motor Speedway, where Harvick has dominated in winning the past two races.

Of the five 1.5-mile ovals that made up half of last year’s 10-race title run, Harvick was at the front in all of them except the season finale, leading 283 laps across Chicagoland Speedway, Charlotte Motor Speedway, Kansas Speedway and Texas Motor Speedway (where he ended Truex’s 1.5-mile win streak at five).

http://nascar.nbcsports.com/2018/03...vin-harvicks-hot-start-were-there-for-months/

It might be the oldest car, but Childers and company haven't been racing it until last year.

Really? You think that he went thru tech all weekend with a broken window brace? smh
I think, it's officially fair to say it's irrelevant what any of us think. Obviously they got thru post race without it being detected and it supposedly broke during the race. So what's the difference?

Now somebody is saying they have photos showing it on Friday and Saturday also? Would seem to me it was something that worked how they wanted it to, when they wanted it to, and wasn't detected.

I think, it's officially fair to say it's irrelevant what any of us think. Obviously they got thru post race without it being detected and it supposedly broke during the race. So what's the difference?

Now somebody is saying they have photos showing it on Friday and Saturday also? Would seem to me it was something that worked how they wanted it to, when they wanted it to, and wasn't detected.
Who said they "got thru" post race tech without it being detected?

Post race includes getting thru RD
Well you originally said all weekend. So the immediate post race tech would apply in that context. Which they passed and passed all weekend.

We won't know about R&D until late today or tomorrow.

Well you originally said all weekend. So the immediate post race tech would apply in that context. Which they passed and passed all weekend.

We won't know about R&D until late today or tomorrow.
They did pass it all weekend which certainly means it wasnt broken till after the race or it would have been caught. Post race is all the way thru the process not just at the track.

It is as far from the same thing as you can get.

Have you bent a sheet of glass lately?
Lol I mean Plexi glass and lexan.. I'm not an an idiot eh

My point was that I'm curious what they are doing to make it do that.. not looking for a lesson on the structural make up of the material for the windows.

Lol I mean Plexi glass and lexan.. I'm not an an idiot eh

My point was that I'm curious what they are doing to make it do that.. not looking for a lesson on the structural make up of the material for the windows.
I didn't give that lesson or any other.

Perhaps they didn't do anything to make it do that. We should find out later in the week.

I didn't give that lesson or any other.

Perhaps they didn't do anything to make it do that. We should find out later in the week.
Just saying you took what I said about the "glass" too literally.. I'm merely curious what's going on. If they are able to make it do that I'm more curious HOW than I am of the advantage it might cause or what affect it might have on the car.

Just saying you took what I said about the "glass" too literally.. I'm merely curious what's going on. If they are able to make it do that I'm more curious HOW than I am of the advantage it might cause or what affect it might have on the car.
It's all text on a screen. Sometimes what's inferred is misunderstood.

Most of us are curious about those things.

certainly means it wasnt broken till after the race or it would have been caught. Post race
Literally a photo on this thread a few posts up showing the same bending during practice. Its obviously a mechanism designed to do its job on the track and return to enough form to make it through post.

Penske did it all last season with their driver side doors flexing inward and being “normal” while not as speed.

This isnt new, it just hasnt been penalized.

Literally a photo on this thread a few posts up showing the same bending during practice. Its obviously a mechanism designed to do its job on the track and return to enough form to make it through post.

Penske did it all last season with their driver side doors flexing inward and being “normal” while not as speed.

Don't believe I have ever heard of a roof caving in. Like Rodney said there have been all kinds of changes to the insides of the cars, for safety, and for strength. Some crews have cheated on the inside by leaving inspection plates loose, or other places to manipulate the air, but nothing as obvious as the roof caving in that anybody and I mean anybody can see.

So the metal roof bent then straightened itself back out. Gotcha

Don't believe I have ever heard of a roof caving in. Like Rodney said there have been all kinds of changes to the insides of the cars, for safety, and for strength. Some crews have cheated on the inside by leaving inspection plates loose, or other places to manipulate the air, but nothing as obvious as the roof caving in that anybody and I mean anybody can see.
I remember seeing a picture somewhere of Dale SR. at speed with the complete top of the roof caved in, but I can't find it... the black car

He got back in this one and drove it. I don't think anybody complained about it.
hqdefault.jpg

Guess we'll just have to wait on NASCAR to say something --- LOL

What I find funny is that just like last year (during all the encumbered craziness) no one is talking about the race. The fanbase seems wrapped up in what is happening with the 4 car's back window and roof. That isn't what the sport needs. Will NASCAR sweep this under the rug hoping it will go away, or will they do something else? Who knows, but like the bad guy in the movie The Crow said, "If it's any consolation to you, you have put a smile on my face.

I think Childers is fundamentally a fairly honest guy, which is why he wasn't particularly good at covering up in that interview. He provided a little too much detail about exactly what went wrong with a car that isn't in their possession after the race, and provided a timeline for the Freaky Fast Failure that doesn't add up.

It appears to me to be an interesting area of innovation, and it may have failed much more than they ever anticipated. Multiple teams noticed it and took note before the Reddit crew spotted it, and it is obvious from Childers' comments that this is an area they have some room to operate in because of how things shift around at speed.

Harvick fans want this to be about "He didn't win the race because of it." Fine. Nobody has claimed that he did. It's still fascinating, and Childers was smart enough not to claim flat out that it didn't provide an advantage, because someone from another team may then feel the need to dispute that. He said he doesn't know whether it did, but that they sure will make sure it never happens again. Haha.

I really liked your post. Not argumentative and well thought out. Thanks!

From what I understand, the control is hooked up to the track-bar adjuster. KH pushes the super secret track bar adjustment override button, labeled SSTBAOB. It's a really big button. After the SSTBAOB button is pressed the track bar adjustment button then controls the Roof Concavement Feature. Simple.

I'm trying to avoid getting to technical.

From what I understand, the control is hooked up to the track-bar adjuster. KH pushes the super secret track bar adjustment override button, labeled SSTBAOB. It's a really big button. After the SSTBAOB button is pressed the track bar adjustment button then controls the Roof Concavement Feature. Simple.

I'm trying to avoid getting to technical.
:XXROFL:

If you insist on putting it in those terms, then it appears yes, essentially. It didn't "straighten itself back out", it only flexed / bent when at speed due to the increased air pressure.

I don't see it being present during the victory celebration, but now I'm starting to think my eyes are playing tricks on me and questioning my sanity. I'll let others sort it out for a while.

Pl0fzuT.jpg

What I find funny is that just like last year (during all the encumbered craziness) no one is talking about the race. The fan base seems wrapped up in what is happening with the 4 car's back window and roof. That isn't what the sport needs. Will NASCAR sweep this under the rug hoping it will go away, or will they do something else? Who knows, but like the bad guy in the movie The Crow said, "If it's any consolation to you, you have put a smile on my face.

I really liked your post. Not argumentative and well thought out. Thanks!
Everyone's talking about it because their are what, 37 teams and only 1 of them are happy with the 4.

Everyone's talking about it because their are what, 37 teams and only 1 of them are happy with the 4.

Again, just like with the encumbered crap. Nobody is talking about the race that happened or the one happening this weekend. That isn't a good thing.

If you insist on putting it in those terms, then it appears yes, essentially. It didn't "straighten itself back out", it only flexed / bent when at speed due to the increased air pressure.

I don't see it being present during the victory celebration, but now I'm starting to think my eyes are playing tricks on me and questioning my sanity. I'll let others sort it out for a while.

Pl0fzuT.jpg
From the pictures I saw if it flexed that much you could run your hand over it and it would be out of shape. It would not take original form. You cant see it from a tv shot

Again, just like with the encumbered crap. Nobody is talking about the race that happened or the one happening this weekend. That isn't a good thing.
Thats because the guy they are talking about won it.

Thats because the guy they are talking about won it.
They aren't talking about the guy that won it. The fanbase is talking about the wavy back window he has when he moves at speed. Those are two different things.

Back
Top Bottom