How will NASCAR enforce this?

In the NBC clip, Petty is initially very dismissive of the whole thing, but then he and Jarrett almost come around to implying that if something deliberate was behind it, the degree to which it caved in surely must be accidental, because they don't believe Childers and SHR would do anything that obvious. Does that make sense to you guys with the knowledge on the parts in question? The suggestion seemed to be that they were possibly experimenting with designing some flex into it, and something went wrong causing far more than intended.
The templates don’t allow for much variance. The thickness of the metal is easily measured.
I don’t have any more knowledge than the average fan in terms of passing tech inspection but this seems like it would be easily detected if this was a deliberate attempt to gain an aero advantage.

It has been reported that Chase was chatting about it with Gustafson on the radio during the race. I wasn't listening to his in car so I can't say if that is true or not.

Kyle Busch said something as well......

I am going to guess a lot of the other teams are going to be watching the live stream of the tear down from the R&D center ( if NASCAR is still doing that )

his crew chief just said on sirius nascar that it was a failure in something around the window that holds the window up lol and went on and on about speeds at the mile 1/2 half tracks smh.. he said he never wanted this to happen and he is making sure it wont happen again because it wasnt a advantage for them . he said when they take cars to the wind tunnel they wind dont blow that fast to see if this would have helped or not. but basically he went on and on about how fast these tracks are and i guess he was saying the speed messed the car up lol

Rodney uses the word "Honest" way too much.

his crew chief just said on sirius nascar that it was a failure in something around the window that holds the window up lol and went on and on about speeds at the mile 1/2 half tracks smh.. he said he never wanted this to happen and he is making sure it wont happen again because it wasnt a advantage for them . he said when they take cars to the wind tunnel they wind dont blow that fast to see if this would have helped or not. but basically he went on and on about how fast these tracks are and i guess he was saying the speed messed the car up lol
Sounds like he got the Ray Evernham T-Rex speech.

I mean...what else was he going to say? Of course it was a "broken" piece.

The piece is either broken or it isn’t. The car is no longer in his hands.
But it won't be as exciting for some on here if they can't find something that points to foul play. Which I seriously doubt they will. Harvick is one of the best drivers out there and he has one of the best cars right now. I think he will run just as good in Phoenix and the roof will be fixed.

Rodney uses the word "Honest" way too much.
If you know what the Reid technique is, then you know that is a tell. I'm gonna bet it was designed to fail and NASCAR has told them that it better not happen again.

But it won't be as exciting for some on here if they can't find something that points to foul play. Which I seriously doubt they will. Harvick is one of the best drivers out there and he has one of the best cars right now. I think he will run just as good in Phoenix and the roof will be fixed.

Photos show that it happened in two races. Wouldn't SHR inspect their cars to see if there were failures? If so, then they would make sure it wouldn't happen in the future, wouldn't they? Also, its funny that it hasn't happened to any other car on the track. Just the 4 car. Things that make you go hmmm?

I'm betting NASCAR had or will have a come to Jesus meeting with SHR and said or will say don't let it happen again or the penalty will be massive.

Last edited:
So do I.

The NC wind tunnels run at 140, not 200.

If you know what the Reid technique is, then you know that is a tell. I'm gonna bet it was designed to fail and NASCAR has told them that it better not happen again.

Photos show that it happened in two races. Wouldn't SHR inspect their cars to see if there were failures? If so, then they would make sure it wouldn't happen in the future, woldn't they?

I'm betting NASCAR had or will have a come to Jesus meeting with SHR and said or will say don't let it happen again or the penalty will be massive.

Both races? that is news to me and the first time I have heard of that

Both races? that is news to me and the first time I have heard of that

They you need to do a search and look at the Atlanta photo that is out there. It isn't as bad but it appears to has happened there too.

The piece is either broken or it isn’t. The car is no longer in his hands.
Because these teams never design elements of the car to bend, move, or break intentionally to gain an advantage.

See: Drivers slamming side skirts pre-race on the banking change from apron to track to flare the skirts. Thats just “in race damage”. :rolleyes:

with a deal like this I would have thought harvick would have tried to keep it a little closer. mikey said harvick was 4 tenths faster than the fastest lap turned by anyone else. lets just say people eyes are opened and they have something and the entire garage is wondering and looking. could harvick have lapped the field, with a 4 tenths advantage you better believe it. that is probably with him also holding back a bit too.

Harder to manage due to tire wear cycles, and different pit stategies.
The fastest car at a given moment may be a lapped car with new tires.

Harvick might have been 4 tenths faster at any given time. Blaney was on the pole, I believe Larson was fastest at practice. I guess the tin foil squadron can make something out of all that.:idunno:

I love the people saying this wasn't intentional. as I said several pages ago, the 4 car was 4 tenths faster than the fastest lap turned by anyone else. DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA HOW MUCH FASTER THAT IS?!?!?! does anyone else think the 4tenths might also have some sandbagging factor to it? meaning what if the car was capable of even faster speeds? remember when jeff gordon recently made comments about not stinking up the show. They would come over the radio and jeff would back it down. that was 20 years ago!!! you better believe they are keenly aware of how much they are leading the race by.

let me put this in perspective that people around here might understand. well if you haven't driven a race car then maybe not. With some intense instruction on the cars. I am pretty sure I could run a car within 4 tenths of the leader if the cars are equal on a track of this size. 4 tenths is a huge advantage. He could have lapped the field several times with that much extra speed.

the advantage harvick has is like the one harry gant had when they came up with the cambered rear end. the 4 cars has found something very very big.

Because these teams never design elements of the car to bend, move, or break intentionally to gain an advantage.

See: Drivers slamming side skirts pre-race on the banking change from apron to track to flare the skirts. Thats just “in race damage”. :rolleyes:
I don't recall ever saying that they didn't.

Sometimes they cheat the rules and sometimes things break.

You see his back window like that at Atlanta?

ewJUmBP.png

I think Childers is fundamentally a fairly honest guy, which is why he wasn't particularly good at covering up in that interview. He provided a little too much detail about exactly what went wrong with a car that isn't in their possession after the race, and provided a timeline for the Freaky Fast Failure that doesn't add up.

It appears to me to be an interesting area of innovation, and it may have failed much more than they ever anticipated. Multiple teams noticed it and took note before the Reddit crew spotted it, and it is obvious from Childers' comments that this is an area they have some room to operate in because of how things shift around at speed.

Harvick fans want this to be about "He didn't win the race because of it." Fine. Nobody has claimed that he did. It's still fascinating, and Childers was smart enough not to claim flat out that it didn't provide an advantage, because someone from another team may then feel the need to dispute that. He said he doesn't know whether it did, but that they sure will make sure it never happens again. Haha.

ewJUmBP.png

I think Childers is fundamentally a fairly honest guy, which is why he wasn't particularly good at covering up in that interview. He provided a little too much detail about exactly what went wrong with a car that isn't in their possession after the race, and provided a timeline for the Freaky Fast Failure that doesn't add up.

It appears to me to be an interesting area of innovation, and it may have failed much more than they ever anticipated. Multiple teams noticed it and took note before the Reddit crew spotted it, and it is obvious from Childers' comments that this is an area they have some room to operate in because of how things shift around at speed.

Harvick fans want this to be about "He didn't win the race because of it." Fine. Nobody has claimed that he did. It's still fascinating, and Childers was smart enough not to claim flat out that it didn't provide an advantage, because someone from another team may then feel the need to dispute that. He said he doesn't know whether it did, but that they sure will make sure it never happens again. Haha.

Bingo.

ewJUmBP.png

what do you expect him to say, YES of course it was an advantage? he will never admit it. I personally think it is an advantage, The spoilers on these cars are very very short now. Is it all of the advantage they have to be that fast probably not. The car is likely well prepared and scienced out in other areas. 4 tenths is a butt whooping. Danica may have been able to run with the big dogs with a car that much faster.

LOL

The insanity continues. The "Friday" picture doesn't show anything and other teams started talking about it on the radio during the race.

LOL

The insanity continues. The "Friday" picture doesn't show anything and other teams started talking about it on the radio during the race.
What? That practice photo and the stage 1 results photo directly contradict Childer’s explanation and timeline. The obvious bend of the car and story is obvious.

ewJUmBP.png

52754842.jpg

LOL

Really? What changed your mind 180 degrees about this? Am I being taken by an optical illusion? I sure think I'm seeing it there, most notably the dip in the roof panel itself. I'm asking Mr. Brandon Farris to publish his other referenced photos as well.

Back
Top Bottom