It's Monster

anyone have an idea what the full name of the series is going to be, is it the monster cup series?

"Right now" is the key phrase and I agree wholeheartedly. This sport is DESPERATE to attract a new audience and Monster is THE company in action/auto sports to do that. I just hope they don't turn this sport into a complete gimmick, but rather educate fans on the sport's history and bring back the old-school rules and on-track action that drew the original audience in.

Monster takes its Motorsports seriously. I'm not worried about gimmicks. Say goodbye to bull**** phone advertisements.

That said, I highly doubt they'll have any input in the on-track product.

Imagine if MLB decides to reduce the World Series from 7 games to 1 game. How ridiculous would that be?

That's about the closest example you can get when comparing the current Chase format to a stick and ball sport.
The closest example is the NFL. 1 game.

They're both top level professional sports.

Both of them rely on a televised elimination playoff system, culminating in one event, that determines a champion.

And what, exactly, does the NFL have in common with racing?

Im doing NASCAR not racing as a whole but both are competitions, both have a playoff, both have rules which some fans hate, both have commisioner/presidents that some fans hate, both have massive TV deals, both are loved in the south, Joe Gibbs has won a Super Bowl and NASCAR Championship.

Hey @Mr. Gregory and @Greg, you know what this means?

MONSTER ENERGY GIRLS
jet.gif
:wub:

Praise God!

I understand why Nascar has gone to a playoff system. I don't personally care for the current format, but I understand why it's designed how it is.

What I don't understand is why people try to legitimize it by comparing it to stick and ball sports. You simply cannot compare motorsports to football or any other sport, for obvious reasons.

Nascar tries to apply their own version of a playoff format in order to manufacture additional interest and drama, and the current format with the Homestead Cup is nothing more than a gimmick. Just my opinion.

I am familiar with these guys...and girls having being a fan of supercross.

I get the sense they are more relaxed and looser as a company than those other uptight companies that are 100% PC.

Hope they bring the girls to victory lane. That would be one good incenstive. LOL

Darren RovellVerified account‏@darrenrovell
No bigger evidence of NASCAR's decline than new Monster title sponsor deal, worth 2.5X less annually than last deal

Darren Rovell is an ESPN business reporter.

Rovell is a massive tool, but he's very established and I assume his sources are legit. I hate when reporters pull this kind of vague math though. The initial Nextel deal was reported to be around $70 million per year. The two year extension Sprint signed was reported to be $50 million per year. So 2.5x less than which one?

If true, that means Monster is only paying $20-28 million annually. I can believe that, but it seems out of whack that sponsorship of the entire series and all of the exposure that comes with it is about the same as what it takes to sponsor a good car for the full season. Fox and NBC are paying something like $700 million per year to televise. You'd think it would just be the Fox Series and NBC Series at those prices. I think Monster got a steal. They can't get hurt too badly at that rate no matter what. I hope NASCAR benefits as well. I think they will.

I understand why Nascar has gone to a playoff system. I don't personally care for the current format, but I understand why it's designed how it is.

What I don't understand is why people try to legitimize it by comparing it to stick and ball sports. You simply cannot compare motorsports to football or any other sport, for obvious reasons.

Nascar tries to apply their own version of a playoff format in order to manufacture additional interest and drama, and the current format with the Homestead Cup is nothing more than a gimmick. Just my opinion.
You have to seriously reach to even compare the two and try to draw similarities.

Football teams aren't dependant on a motorized piece of machinery operating nearly flawlessly to aid in their athletes winning its championship. There is nothing but human element involved.

But "It's totally the same!!"

Wanna make Nascar like football?

Take the 40 Cup teams and have them face each other in individual one-on-one races. 20 races a week, each driver has 20 matchups a year. Every track is identical. Each individual race is an hour long. Every lap led is a point. Caution/restart every 15 minutes. End of the race, the driver with the most laps led gets the win. If you wreck or blow up, call a timeout and continue racing with your backup car.

At the end of the season, seed the top 12 drivers by W-L record in an elimination bracket until one remains.

How stupid does that sound? Well until this happens, don't try and compare Nascar to the NFL.

Except that if the Patriots play the Cowboys in the Super Bowl, Tom Brady can't get sacked by a Raiders linebacker.
And in a cup race, he can.

Doesn't bother me at all. Part of the game, same as every other race.

If true, that means Monster is only paying $20-28 million annually. I can believe that, but it seems out of whack that sponsorship of the entire series and all of the exposure that comes with it is about the same as what it takes to sponsor a good car for the full season. Fox and NBC are paying something like $700 million per year to televise. You'd think it would just be the Fox Series and NBC Series at those prices. I think Monster got a steal. They can't get hurt too badly at that rate no matter what. I hope NASCAR benefits as well. I think they will.

$20-28 million is probably about what it cost to sponsor the 41 team for the whole year so Id imagine hey would pay more than that. I'm more interested in the length of the contract as I'd hate to see NASCAR back at this in 5years or so.

Bsseball, like Nascar, lasts spring thru fall. Baseball, like Nascar, realizes one game means nothing. This is why baseball, UNLIKE Nascar, determines a champion with a best of 7 series.

There's your stick and ball comparison.

Sorry for getting off topic and beating the dead horse.

Wanna make Nascar like football?

No. Please no. If I had to choose between pushing a button to end all human suffering or another button that would erase all thoughts of trying to make auto racing more like football, I would think twice, because it's just so tempting.

You have to seriously reach to even compare the two and try to draw similarities.

Football teams aren't dependant on a motorized piece of machinery operating nearly flawlessly to aid in their athletes winning its championship. There is nothing but human element involved.

But "It's totally the same!!"
No one is saying they are the same bit there are similarities. The college playoff reference was probably the best and most recent comparison. The old Bowl Championship Series was a system that ranked teams by a computerized points system based of wins and strength of schedule among other things. Switching to the playoff has changed teams strategy during the regular season just like it has in NASCAR. Also similarities in the reason both switched to a playoff with TV money being a big factor in a playoff. Its silly to compare the sports on the field and on the track but they are governed and ran in very similar ways.

No issues here with Monster as the new series sponsor's, really looking forward to the Monster Girls in VL:wub::wub:

I think this might end up being( or I hope) good for NASCAR and the Cup Series , NASCAR really does need to start bringing in younger fans, the fans of a certain age are not going to be around forever, and its time to start moving forward towards the future, like it or not

I do agree with @AndyMarquisLive , Monster/NOS/Redbull all taste like horse piss, well, I imagine that is what horse piss would taste like, the only energy drink that doesn't make want to :bleh: is Full Throttle, Blue Demon I think its still called, not that I drink them very often to start with, its about 7 years now :laugh:

I'm excited motorcross went well with it as the sponsor. And maybe Robby Gordon motorsports will reappear.

I'm looking forward to the new sponsor only in hopes that it'll bring in more fans. With this new sponsor coming in, they are going to have to cater to a whole, new, group of people that in all honesty suffer from short attention spans. Things like the Caution Clock or even shorter races are only a matter of when and not if they will be implemented in this sport. The Chase isn't going anywhere as it seems to be the preferred method of crowning a Champion to the newer fans.

NASCAR/Nextel/Sprint spent their reign trying to grow the sport with their on track gimmicks but failed to lure in new fans from outside the sport. In doing this they alienated many of the older fan base. That and a downturn in the economy had a huge impact on attendance and ratings.

Monster will probably be able to bring in some new eyes with heavy promotion to a whole new crowd but get ready for a whole new NASCAR. In a few years this sport will probably be a shell of what it once was. Hopefully whatever it becomes it will become a success once again.

The Chase before the playoff was a points system Chase but it not just Cup. The Trucks and Xfinty series had a points system of old before this year and clinches happened. I also don't like a driver having to just finish say 20th or better to win the championship. Now its a race between four of the top contenders to see who wins the championship which in my opinion is better.

I say this sincerely as Nascar is fortunate to have a fan like you and hopefully you can persuade people in your circle of interest to check out the series.

Questions, answers about Monster Energy’s partnership with NASCAR

HOW LONG WILL MONSTER ENERGY BE THE SERIES SPONSOR?

No such details were given. NASCAR Chairman Brian France said that it was a multi-year agreement “with some options. We never get into the specifics of contracts.’’

WHAT WILL THE SERIES BE CALLED?

That detail was also not revealed. France said: “We are working on the exact composite logo … and we’ll be back shortly on that. It won’t be long. We’ve got some real good options on that.’’

WHAT ELSE IS INVOLVED IN THIS AGREEMENT?

Monster Energy will be the sponsor of the All-Star Race in May at Charlotte Motor Speedway and be the official energy drink of NASCAR.

HOW DOES THIS IMPACT MONSTER ENERGY’S SPONSORSHIP OF Kurt Busch’S CAR?

It won’t. Mark Hall, chief marketing officer for Monster Energy, said: “Kurt, you are still going to drive.’’

WHAT WILL BE DIFFERENT STARTING IN 2017?

Expect to have fun. The word fun was used 10 times in the 25-minute press conference, including nine times by France.

“They’re a fun brand that’s going to interact with our core fans in kind of a cool, neat way actually, and we’ve seen some of the plans, and they’ll get bigger and more robust as we go along,’’ France said.

“But we’re very confident that this is the right partner for us, and we’re looking forward to having some fun with it. By the way, we’re in the fun business. We’re racing cars. We’re crowning champions. This is where people come to have fun, right?’’

WHY IS MONSTER ENERGY THE RIGHT FIT FOR THE SPORT?

“Motorsports is their DNA,’’ France said of Monster Energy. “When you walk through their lobby in California, you see that. You see the motorcycles and NASCAR memorabilia and all kinds of things, and that’s who they are, so they understand motorsports. They understand NASCAR. They understand how to reach across and excite our core audience and help us deliver on a new audience, and that was very exciting for us.’’

SO HOW WILL NASCAR HELP GROW ITS FAN BASE?

It will go after young fans.

“They get at a millennial audience in a different way clearly than we’ve ever been associated with, particularly at this level, and they know what they’re doing,’’ France said.

OK, BUT WHAT ABOUT NASCAR’S OLDER FANS? HOW WILL MONSTER REACH THEM?

Through young fans.

“Young people set trends in fashion, and then older people adapt, and I don’t want to say old,’’ said Mark Hall, chief marketing officer for Monster Energy. “Fashion is set by a small group of influencers. The challenge is to make your product relevant to that group and then have them influence the others. If we’ve been successful in the past, we’ve followed that model.

“I think we have a lot of drinkers in the current NASCAR fan base. I think we can make the sport more interesting to some younger consumers, as well.’’

MISS SPRINT CUP IS GONE. WILL SHE BE REPLACED?

Yes. Monster Energy’s girls were at the announcement and will be visible moving forward.

“We also want to bring some good shows and entertainment for NASCAR fans, so they can interact with our brand and understand what our culture is all about, so when they leave the racetrack on Sunday they’ve had an experience,’’ said Mitch Covington, vice president of sports marketing for Monster Energy. “Of course they will have met the fabulous Monster Energy girls. We’re going to have a lot of fun at NASCAR, both in the parking lot and inside the oval.’’

HOW DOES THIS NEW AGREEMENT DIFFER FROM OTHERS WITH REPORTS IT WOULD BE FOR A SHORTER TIME PERIOD AND LESS MONEY? WILL THERE BE ADJUSTMENTS THE SPORT WILL HAVE TO MAKE?

“No, it’s a different kind of agreement for sure in that it’s got activation in different ways and media in different ways,’’ France said. “But we’re quite pleased with the agreement, and no, there will be no changes at all. As a matter of fact, I think you’re going to see some additional activation, additional things that will occur, so this is a more, not less, in that regard.’’

SO HOW WILL MONSTER ENERGY MARKET NASCAR?

“We do market in a non‑traditional way, we do count on our athletes and our endorsers and to a certain extent our fans to do our marketing,’’ Hall said. “One component that our primary competitor utilizes that we haven’t is media. They routinely buy traditional television and traditional media, and we never have. We have never created a commercial or an ad.

“We’ve done different things that we’ve been successful getting a lot of eyeballs on, but I think looking at this opportunity and this close partnership to where our names are linked so synonymously, we’re thinking that this for us is a way to do traditional media, the reach of the connection and the partnership is going to be unique for us because our names will be closely associated, and every time you say NASCAR, we hope we’re going to say Monster Energy.’’

http://nascar.nbcsports.com/2016/12...utm_source=TW @NBCSports&utm_tags=srm[nascar]

Darren RovellVerified account‏@darrenrovell
No bigger evidence of NASCAR's decline than new Monster title sponsor deal, worth 2.5X less annually than last deal

Darren Rovell is an ESPN business reporter.

It will be interesting to see how much impact Monster has on the series as it could broaden its appeal but I think it is more likely nothing really changes or the series becomes even more niche-i-fied with a concentrated younger fan base. IDK how loyal millennials are and if they will embrace Nascar and then drop it like a hot potato for the next cool thing but Nascar needed to do something as what they have done the past 15 years has not worked.

Expect the next broadcast deal to take a hit, too.

For sure as I doubt that there will be 2 fledgling sports networks willing to overpay the next time the TV contract is up. If the current trends continue Nascar may need to have its own channel to have the races broadcast or pay a network like infomercials and religious programmers do.

In other sports, it's difficult to impossible for every team to compete against every other team. In NASCAR, each team not only competes against every other team, they compete against all of the other teams at the same time, each and every week. This is one reason why comparisons to other most sports don't work well.

It's also why a playoff system is unnecessary. What's the point in a playoff if one driver has consistently beaten the others on a regular basis? And even if one driver has locked up the title early, the final race will still be held, and they're all going to compete just as hard to win it. As you noted, they're drivers.

If the NFL had a chase system my beloved Eagles would have made the playoffs the first week of the season as opposed to sitting on the sidelines for the third consecutive year.

Literally nobody that I personally know outside of a few family members do indeed think this sport is a complete joke. Plus 99.99% of sports fans on other message boards that I frequent think NASCAR is a joke. It might be different for you, but not in my case.

I don't mention Nascar to anyone I know or meet primarily because I can't defend it. I was watching Jeopardy the other night and Jimmie Johnson was featured asking a question saying that he won 2 Southern 500 races and what state was the race held in. The 3 smart people all got a blank look and one of them guessed North Carolina. I thought it was ironic.

I don't worry much about the opinions of fans of other sports.

EDIT: Heck, I don't worry much about the opinions of fans of this sport either.

20 years ago Nascar could do no wrong and fans and businesses wanted to be associated with the series.as it was up and coming and like eating at the cool kids table at lunch in school. The worm has turned as mentioning Nascar in polite company will either draw blank looks or people will look at you like you are an idiot in need of adult supervision. It is not fair as most Nascar fans are salt of the earth people and are nothing like what so many outside the series see as entertainment for the people of Walmart. I don't give a flip what someone thinks of me but I also don't want to endure the scorn and BS that Nascar so often brings as it is monotonous and as I said earlier I can't defend the series anyway.

Nascar has a perception problem and the problem with perception is it is reality for most.

Yep, cant wait for the " Monster Heat " qualifiers, which will change the complete structure of NASCAR as we know it now. All teams will be required to have one Monster hottie on the pit crew to service the driver.

That's what is great about s pnayoff though is that anything can happen. I'm all for NASCAR crowning a regular season points champion that might appease older fans a bit and be another trophy they can put a company's name on.
Okay, we're stuck.

What I don't like about a playoff is that anything can happen. A team that has dominated the entire season can lose the championship by finishing second in one race that just happens to be the last one. I might not mind that quite as much if Homestead had been chosen as the final Chase race for specific reasons, but it wasn't. The entire Chase schedule is based on those races that just happened to be the last 10 when the system was implemented.

To me, one of the great things about the old points system was that every race had the same impact on the championship. The driver with the most win, top 5s, and top 10s had a pretty good chance of earning the title. That's the guy most of us old-timers think deserves it. We base that in a belief of the importance of season-long performance in all races, not who happens to get hot at the end. The Chase, especially the current elimination format version, emphasized the final races over the previous 26. Heck, right now the regular season points leader isn't even guaranteed a Chase slot.

Back
Top Bottom