Jeremy Clements Suspended for Making "Insensitive" Remarks in Interview

Why did people start assuming it was a racial comment?
NASCAR doesn't want anyone messing with their latest cash cow (Danica). Anyone that gets in her way will get killed by NASCAR. It is extremely unfair, but that is what has become of the "sport".
How old are you, freakin 12.

http://m.espn.go.com/rpm/story?storyId=8998684&src=desktop&wjb
Nationwide Series driver Jeremy Clements explained in detail Thursday exactly how he finds himself suspended indefinitely from NASCAR competition.

In a one-on-one interview with ESPN, Clements would not verbalize the specific comments he made, but when pressed for clarity about whether or not it was racial, he paused. Asked again, "Was it racial or not? Maybe not in context, but in term?" Clements replied: "Correct."

"When you say 'racial' remark, it wasn't used to describe anybody or anything," Clements said. "So that's all I'm going to say to that. And it really wasn't. I was describing racing, and the word I used was incorrect and I shouldn't have said it. It shouldn't be used at all."

6 Freakin pages and still nobody knows for sure what he said. Funny
I think what makes it even funnier is that we have 200+ posts and it's involving Jeremy Clements. If it were Jimmie Johnson I could understand but.....

I keep checking back here just to see if we've learned anything at all yet about what was said and we're no further along than post#1. That's funny.

They've been peeling that Onion for decades and it's still around. This thread may be around for quite some time.
Off topic real quick. Do you remember when Todd had the Cueball Head name? Flashback.....

Oh and to get right back on topic. The media is wrong in this case. NASCAR is wrong in this case. Jeremy Clements, on the other hand, he said he was sorry for what we don't know that he said so I think he's okay now. :cool:

MTV blogger Marty Beckerman is the source he said there will be an article probably just waiting for the right amount of money.

lol "The cueball can't get by without wrecking".

I think what has everyone so curious about Clements is his rather harsh Danica comments, which nascar hasn't even mentioned. That's pretty damn odd because he accuses nascar of fixing the 500 pole. I find it very odd, since nascar made it clear that is the one thing that will get you sanctions.

MTV blogger Marty Beckerman is the source he said there will be an article probably just waiting for the right amount of money.

Yeah, he's been advertising his story since this story broke, but still hasn't posted it.

On Wednesday, NASCAR announced it had "indefinitely suspended" Nationwide Series driver Jeremy Clements for making "an intolerable and insensitive remark" that violated its code of conduct.
They did not, however, specify exactly what Clements said, and neither did Clements when he gave an interview to ESPN about the suspension. But he did confirm that the comment was racial in context, and said that he made it in the presence of a NASCAR employee and an MTV reporter.
Several other outlets picked up on the story, and quickly figured out that reporter was Marty Beckerman, an associate editor for MTV's Guy Code blog, an extension of MTV2's "Guy Code" television series, which takes a humorous look at "the laws of manhood." Beckerman was covering last weekend's NASCAR events at the Daytona International Speedway and spoke to several drivers.
As the news of Clements' suspension — and speculation over just what he said — began to spread, Beckerman remained silent... until he sat down with MTV News to speak about what happened in Daytona.
"I was there to do a fish-out-of-water story about going to NASCAR and having a wild, crazy weekend. And, we were doing interviews with many of the drivers, and I was on the way to another interview — we were looking for [driver] Johanna Long's trailer — and the NASCAR publicist called Mr. Clements over and asked him for help finding her," Beckerman said. "He walked us toward where she was, and on the way over, I explained to him that Guy Code is rules for guys, how you treat your friends, how you treat your ladies, things like that. I was there to do a humor piece, so I asked him what would be Guy Code for race car drivers, and he blurted out [a phrase that used the n-word]."
Beckerman said that Clements didn't use the phrase in reference to any specific driver, but was instead illustrating that "if you drive roughly, you'll be treated roughly." He wrote the quote down in his notes (the conversation was not recorded) and, since he was in the presence of a NASCAR publicist, continued to speak with Clements for a few more minutes, before going to interview Long. Then, on Thursday morning, as the story continued to unfold, Clements called him to discuss the quote and let it be known that he regretted making it.
"I don't know him well enough to know if that reflects anything in his heart," Beckerman said, "but he said he doesn't harbor these feelings."
Beckerman said, since returning from Daytona, he had debated whether to publish a story around the quote. On Thursday morning, while discussions continued with Guy Code editors, he was contacted by a NASCAR rep who informed him about Clements' suspension. "We had not even intended to necessarily publish it, because our site is a humor site for men, we aren't the New York Times, we aren't investigative journalism. It didn't fit with our blog," Beckerman said. "The fact is that NASCAR made this a national story, and then Clements explained a bit of what he said to ESPN ... I never wanted to be part of the story."

I guess Jeremy said "If you drive like a n*****, you'll be treated like a n*****".

That's offensive enough for a suspension in my book.

If that's true , we could have two more pages of apologies on this endless thread.;)

If that's true , we could have two more pages of apologies on this endless thread.;)

That wasn't an apology, just a confirmation of what I've been saying all along.

I think Clements is VERY lucky to get away with those Danica comments. They were backroom funny, but not the kind of joking anyone with some common sense does in public.

I guess Jeremy said "If you drive like a n*****, you'll be treated like a n*****".

Yep, you can go through and complete a drug or alcohol treatment program and be reinstated but how do you treat crap like that stupid sheet and how do you know it worked?

Looks like my guess was correct. Stories are circulating that he used the N-word to describe rough driving, not talking about a person.

Looks like my guess was correct. Stories are circulating that he used the N-word to describe rough driving, not talking about a person.
celebrate007_2.gif

Personally, I was rooting for the C word. It just makes more sense in the context of what Jeremy was saying.

He called her 'cute'? No wonder he was suspended!:)

Nope. If that's what he said, suspension is warranted.

It's exactly along these lines. His comments about Danica and his comments about the 500 being boring didn't help. And there's no doubt NASCAR acted because Clements doesn't have sponsors or a team owner that will force him out.

I still think it's a grotesque overreaction. When NASCAR asked him about it, he owned up to it and apologized for it. Sure, NASCAR had to do something - but not this.

Yeah, he's been advertising his story since this story broke, but still hasn't posted it.

MTV will wait until Clements is re-instated, publish the whole thing and make NASCAR look bad. People like ABC, MTV, NBC -- the mainstream, they HATE our sport. There's no getting around that. Also, the comments were off the record, according to both NASCAR and Clements (he was supposedly suspended because a NASCAR official overheard it), so MTV will be committing a cardinal sin by publishing those comments.

I'm in no way defending what Clements said. He made his bed and has to lie in it. But, at the same time, he's getting railroaded by a media that hates the sport and will do anything to make it look bad and a sport that hasn't yet realized they will never be accepted by the mainstream media.

Jeremy got exactly what he deserved as far as the suspension. Had NASCAR not exacted a swift and severe penalty they'd have been in all kinds of trouble with Nationwide, Sprint and their other sponsors.

As far as Jeremey's career concerned I think he's done. No one will sponsor him after this comes out. It would be a slap in the face to every black consumer and employee of the sponsor.

Jeremy got exactly what he deserved as far as the suspension. Had NASCAR not exacted a swift and severe penalty they'd have been in all kinds of trouble with Nationwide, Sprint and their other sponsors.

As far as Jeremey's career concerned I think he's done. No one will sponsor him after this comes out. It would be a slap in the face to every black consumer and employee of the sponsor.

And that's a shame. African-Americans use that word more than anyone. I really wish we could evolved past this PC BS. If a word is acceptable to use, then it's acceptable. If not, then it's not. Get the **** out of my face with this, "it's acceptable for this person to say this but not that person" bull****.

And that's a shame. African-Americans use that word more than anyone. I really wish we could evolved past this PC BS. If a word is acceptable to use, then it's acceptable. If not, then it's not. Get the **** out of my face with this, "it's acceptable for this person to say this but not that person" bull****.

you really are pretty ignorant sometimes.

Nope. If that's what he said, suspension is warranted..

"He walked us toward where she was, and on the way over, I explained to him that Guy Code is rules for guys, how you treat your friends, how you treat your ladies, things like that. I was there to do a humor piece, so I asked him what would be Guy Code for race car drivers, and he blurted out [a phrase that used the n-word]."
Beckerman said that Clements didn't use the phrase in reference to any specific driver, but was instead illustrating that "if you drive roughly, you'll be treated roughly."

Hmmm...the only other use I can think of is "Yo nig, if you race me rough...".

If that's what he did indeed say, why doesn't that idiot Beckywhatever come out and say that's what happened? Why doesn't Clements say he used it as a term of endearment? NASCAR said he's free to tell everyone what he said, so why is he hiding?

I don't buy it Andy. Not at all.

Drivers say far worse things than that over their radios.

NASCAR should have slapped him with a fine and some kind of probation for that if what is being reported is accurate. I don't know Jeremy well, but have been around him at the dirt tracks before he jumped to NASCAR. He's a good guy and certainly doesn't deserve this. There are far worse jerks and some don't even get a slap on the wrist for some of the things they say and/or do. While the word is inappropriate, I don't think it warrants a suspension since it wasn't directed toward anyone or any group.

I should also add some think or know that Clements also made comments (not to the MTV reporter) about how boring the 500 was and how he felt Danica winning the pole was rigged. If he did say those things and you add his other comment, I can see why NASCAR hit him with the suspension. Otherwise, I think it's a bit much.

"He walked us toward where she was, and on the way over, I explained to him that Guy Code is rules for guys, how you treat your friends, how you treat your ladies, things like that. I was there to do a humor piece, so I asked him what would be Guy Code for race car drivers, and he blurted out [a phrase that used the n-word]."
Beckerman said that Clements didn't use the phrase in reference to any specific driver, but was instead illustrating that "if you drive roughly, you'll be treated roughly."

Hmmm...the only other use I can think of is "Yo nig, if you race me rough...".

If that's what he did indeed say, why doesn't that idiot Beckywhatever come out and say that's what happened? Why doesn't Clements say he used it as a term of endearment? NASCAR said he's free to tell everyone what he said, so why is he hiding?

I don't buy it Andy. Not at all.

I know exactly what he said. He didn't say, "If you race me like a (n), I'm going to treat you like an (n)."

I should also add some think or know that Clements also made comments (not to the MTV reporter) about how boring the 500 was and how he felt Danica winning the pole was rigged. If he did say those things and you add his other comment, I can see why NASCAR hit him with the suspension. Otherwise, I think it's a bit much.

There's no doubt that played in to it. A driver cannot go out and say the racing is rigged.

Drivers say far worse things than that over their radios.

NASCAR should have slapped him with a fine and some kind of probation for that if what is being reported is accurate. I don't know Jeremy well, but have been around him at the dirt tracks before he jumped to NASCAR. He's a good guy and certainly doesn't deserve this. There are far worse jerks and some don't even get a slap on the wrist for some of the things they say and/or do. While the word is inappropriate, I don't think it warrants a suspension since it wasn't directed toward anyone or any group.

Yeah, agreed. And now, NASCAR's in the position that, if they don't suspend drivers for inappropriate comments over the radio, we're all going to know this is about what he said about Danica. And NASCAR can't come out and say the truth, which is, they kicked him out of the sport because he didn't have a team owner or sponsor who would kick him out for them... if they tell the truth, everyone's going to come right out and say that NASCAR's trying to purge the sport of the low-budget guys.

As much I hate admit it a driver has to know what he can't say. My only sympathy for Clements is that he was and is an outsider. He was screwed prior to his dumb comments. Still you cant say the N word (Andy) it doesnt matter if you are poor riff raff or if your lucky enough to have a Hendrick contract.

In the span of about 30 seconds he undone almost any postives he had accomplished in ARCA or Nationwide cars. I hate it for him, but he had to know in the back of his mind he was committing verbal suicide. It is tough but is something he inflicted upon himself.

Andy there is no defense for N word. I grew up using it, they desegregted my school classes in the 2nd grade. It was a common word in the day. I am 51 now, I probably havent used the word in 30 years. My son is 17 and I have never heard him use the word. And there is no excuse for anyone using the word.

I am not sure a suspension was warranted, maybe a fine would be sufficient. But it really doesnt matter no big time sponsor will ever give him a seconds thought. Neither will any owner, he is done. He might as well quit spending big money on Nationwide and run at a local Saturday night track. That's the ceiling he has established for himself. The only postive is that just maybe some trash talking kids wilk take notes, and learn a lesson.

I know exactly what he said. He didn't say, "If you race me like a (n), I'm going to treat you like an (n)."

you misquoted me. Imagine that. :rolleyes:

Grow some balls and scoop Beckerman already. Spill the beans, you stupid....wait, saying that would get me in trouble. ;)

Andy there is no defense for N word. I grew up using it, they desegregted my school classes in the 2nd grade. It was a common word in the day. I am 51 now, I probably havent used the word in 30 years. My son is 17 and I have never heard him use the word. And there is no excuse for anyone using the word.

Um, that's exactly my point. No matter how you put it, our youth IS being desensitized to that word because it's used as a term of endearment on movies, television shows and music. If MTV is offended by the word, as they should be, it's time for them to set the example. If the African-American community is offended by the word, as they should be, they need to start calling out the entertainment industry.

My biggest beef is that this is MTV we're dealing with. They ARE the problem. But, once again, everyone wants to ignore the overall problem when it comes to that word and crucify one single person instead. I mean ... all the problems with our society now are Jeremy Clements' fault. Let's put it all on him and give MTV ANOTHER free pass. Sounds good to me.

Back
Top Bottom