Khane not in 5 next yr

You keep using that word, "waste"......it's not like they are shipping him off to Bangladesh for a year to grow potatoes. He's getting another year of valuable experience before jumping from Xfinity to Cup. Dude is only 19 years old.

You guys point to Logano as a sign of someone who worked out. Well who did he work out for? Not the team that developed him and rushed him to Cup

He never had a chance at JGR. 2 A-holes for team mates and a useless CC left over from when Tony departed.

He never had a chance at JGR. 2 A-holes for team mates and a useless CC left over from when Tony departed.

baby.jpg

Not seeing the 88 or 5 on track would be weird...

There are not a lot of good seats available atm. I wonder who will consider Kahne as a possible hire?

He has sponsors, just it was time for him to leave HMS.
Kahne will end up in on lesser team, Indy was a fluke, the guy doesn't have it anymore.

I'm curious if it's Byron who the sponsor will be. Axalta expanded their sponsorship of the 88, but since they wouldn't be sponsoring an Xfinity car with Byron (theoretically) moving up, could they sponsor 2 cup rides? Really wanted Axalta back on the 24 but NAPA ain't budging anytime soon from their 26 or so races.

Then there's Liberty U. Not sure I see them pony-ing up the cash for a cup sponsorship. Think they may have to look outside of those two.

I think it should no doubt be Byron though. He wins races and could likely win the championship this year, and he will have visited all of the tracks on the schedule at least once with the exception of Sonoma...what more is there to learn?

allenbada says no on byron, he seemed pretty sure about that, just about emphatic. HMS must have a pony picked out of the herd already or else I don't think you would hear about this.

This might happen but I just want to know how it makes sense to any one. Kenseth in the 5 is no different than Kahne in the 5 in my opinion at this point in his career.
Exactly, if Kahne had a long term deal that they ended early I could see Kenseth as an option but with Kahne only having a year left and Byron as a rookie in Xfinity, if Hendrick stuck with the 2 year schedule that they did with Chase, it would make more sense to pay Kahne for one more year then hire Kenseth for a season, sign sponsors for him, then bring Byron up the following year. Byron is the only option that really makes sense to me, the kid has sponsors, has been to a majority of Cup tracks by the end of this Xfinity season, has a shot at the championship and is a quick learner to boot. I don't see where Hendrick would be any worse off than if they stuck with Kahne another year even if Byron has an uneventful rookie season in Cup.

It might be that there will be more than one driver next year. Maybe Byron gets a couple of starts, and somebody else from the X-series gets some starts. They could check out a couple of drivers, they might be interested in.

This might happen but I just want to know how it makes sense to any one. Kenseth in the 5 is no different than Kahne in the 5 in my opinion at this point in his career.

One driver is 9th in points and the other one is 19th in points. I'm sure Matt will have to take a paycut, but who else would HMS get if Byron isn't in the 5? Matt can be a stop-gap driver for a year while Byron gets one more year of experience.

Byron seems like the only logical option besides Kenseth or Allgaier (Brandt) for a year.

Elliott was 19 running in cup, Blaney was 20, neither have accomplished what Byron has done in the short time he has been in a car and they both are doing just fine in cup. Byron has 10 wins in not even two years, should have 11 if Hammie's cheated up tireota didn't edge him out.

My guess is that whoever brings some of their own sponsorship gets the ride.

I'm curious if it's Byron who the sponsor will be. Axalta expanded their sponsorship of the 88, but since they wouldn't be sponsoring an Xfinity car with Byron (theoretically) moving up, could they sponsor 2 cup rides? Really wanted Axalta back on the 24 but NAPA ain't budging anytime soon from their 26 or so races.

Then there's Liberty U. Not sure I see them pony-ing up the cash for a cup sponsorship. Think they may have to look outside of those two.

I think it should no doubt be Byron though. He wins races and could likely win the championship this year, and he will have visited all of the tracks on the schedule at least once with the exception of Sonoma...what more is there to learn?
Experience.

That's an excellent point. It may take a year to line up a Cup-level sponsor for Byron. HMS may be able to find a seat warmer who can bring a year's worth of backing. If it's an experienced veteran who may be able to improve the team's performance, so much the better.

I feel like it will be Kenseth for a year in the 5.
This makes no sense from either HMS's or Kenseth's point of view.

One driver is 9th in points and the other one is 19th in points. I'm sure Matt will have to take a paycut, but who else would HMS get if Byron isn't in the 5? Matt can be a stop-gap driver for a year while Byron gets one more year of experience.

Byron seems like the only logical option besides Kenseth or Allgaier (Brandt) for a year.
Right. Signing a 46 year old driver to a one year contract and getting that veteran driver to agree to a huge pay cut when you already had a veteran driver signed is a logical option.

Listen to yourself man.

My guess is that whoever brings some of their own sponsorship gets the ride.

This is the only way Matt K gets the 5.

No idea what will happen .. more than likely Byron will get the #5. Interesting to listen to Jimmie Johnson though .. he is grateful he didn't get his cup ride until his mid 20's .. said there is a ton of pressure on these young kids to perform. I think Hendrick is afraid it might be too soon to heap that pressure on Byron. I'd love to see a multi-year deal at the #5 for Matt Kenseth, but he doesn't bring anything in the way of sponsorship. Matt also didn't get his cup ride until his mid 20's.

I'm somewhat surprised that Liberty will be coming along to be the primary sponsor. That can't be cheap. I don't know anything about Liberty but props to them for the financial commitment.

I'm curious to hear who his crew chief will be

If this is Liberty from Lynchburg Virginia it would be Jerry Fallwell's school.

No doubt that the 'flirting with becoming a bust?' thread will be a reality should he not make the Chase the first year out.

I would think he will get over 50 races before much is said just as it was with Chase Elliott.

Back
Top Bottom