Larson

Been watching him since his first W in Placerville. He is a driver. Something about coming from the dirt. I'll be going to see him run with the outlaws on Wednesday up in Placerville. He is the valley's home grown talent. He is about an hour north of me and we used to see him at all of the local tracks out here on the West Coast. He isn't a huge personality, but he will win a lot of races in his career and when it is all over he will command the respect of all of his peers.

Ive been a fan since the day I met Kyle and his parents at English Creek Speedway in Iowa in 2004. His mom came up to me and introduced herself, and asked if I would take some photos of Kyle and the California contingent that traveled out for the Nationals. There was a ton of talent in that field, including Jessica and JoJo Helberg, Mason Moore, Tyler Reddick to name a few that have gone on to make names for themselves in racing. I stayed in touch with Mike and Janet, and followed Kyles career since then. I flew to California to watch Kyle in his first WoO race at Chicos Gold cup. Seen him in the 83V, the 99, the 1K , and the 57 off the top of my head. The kids a racer and can win in anything. Ive always said since he moved up to the top series, if he gets started winning, watch out. Hes a great kid, that come from great parents. Im proud to call them friends..

Attachments

• kyle.jpg
    kyle.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 175
  • TR.JPG
    TR.JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 178
Ive been a fan since the day I met Kyle and his parents at English Creek Speedway in Iowa in 2004. His mom came up to me and introduced herself, and asked if I would take some photos of Kyle and the California contingent that traveled out for the Nationals. There was a ton of talent in that field, including Jessica and JoJo Helberg, Mason Moore, Tyler Reddick to name a few that have gone on to make names for themselves in racing. I stayed in touch with Mike and Janet, and followed Kyles career since then. I flew to California to watch Kyle in his first WoO race at Chicos Gold cup. Seen him in the 83V, the 99, the 1K , and the 57 off the top of my head. The kids a racer and can win in anything. Ive always said since he moved up to the top series, if he gets started winning, watch out. Hes a great kid, that come from great parents. Im proud to call them friends..

That is freaking awesome

I was in the pits with him at Oskaloosa Iowa when he won his first big payday in the Hoffman 69 at the Ultimate Challenge. 30K cash, I believe.. I believe they missed the Yeley 2 non wing car on your shirt.. At Rock Rapids Iowa.
yeley.JPG

I was in the pits with him at Oskaloosa Iowa when he won his first big payday in the Hoffman 69 at the Ultimate Challenge. 30K cash, I believe.. I believe they missed the Yeley 2 non wing car on your shirt.. At Rock Rapids Iowa.View attachment 25855

Big payday for a kid. He wasn't touted as the next 24 for nothing right?

Good catch lol. I have no idea how many different cars he actually ran in 200 some-odd races that year.

My favorite part of his post race yesterday was that he called himself a Trophy Racer. I love that about Sprint Car drivers. They race for money and Trophies. It's just a different breed.

IF Dale "Junior" won there would be 10 stories and a different hero photo of him updated every hour on NASCAR.COM

IF Danica won, there would be 8 stories and a Danica Warrior Princess photo on NASCAR.COM

Kyle Larson WINS -- and there is a photo and lead story of Erik Jones on NASCAR.COM

Truly sad...

Larson sure is coming into his own as a driver and I almost don't want to bring this up but imagine how big of a points lead he would have already in a traditional points system

That video from Abreu Vineyards is a awesome bunch of kids having fun.

Would love to see him in the #19 Gibbs Toyota, #5 Hendrick Chevy or the #10 Haas Ford. Once he gets into Tier 1 equipment, he will be unstoppable.

From what I've seen this year he is in top tier equipment, JMac has been running pretty well also

I don't think he's going anywhere. Chip stuck his neck out putting Kyle in the stable and Kyle is deeply indebted for the chance
Plus, he's running well, and there's always the Indy 500 angle that hasn't come to fruition......yet. Anxious for tomorrow night with the WoO. Katelyns brother Brad is promoting Placerville and between Kyle, Rico, Brad, Shane, and of course DonnySchatz they're going to put on a show !

Would love to see him in the #19 Gibbs Toyota, #5 Hendrick Chevy or the #10 Haas Ford. Once he gets into Tier 1 equipment, he will be unstoppable.
He's in top tier equipment and has been since he signed on.

It's a people game. Cheap appears to have made the right moves.

Kyle Larson sweeps the weekend at Fontana -- he SWEEPS the weekend!

In a Chevy (I'm a Ford fan) but have utmost respect for Chip Ganassi Racing.

NASCAR.COM is running Eric Jones and now Daniel Suarez (Toyota drivers) on their website Lead Story???

That is BS.

To be fair, Larson has gotten countless articles and media attention the past 3 years, now that's it's obvious he's the real deal there's really nothing more to talk about. Jones and Suarez (especially Jones) have been very impressive to start the year and they have earned the attention they are getting. Wouldn't be surprised if Jones steals a win this year

To be fair, Larson has gotten countless articles and media attention the past 3 years, now that's it's obvious he's the real deal there's really nothing more to talk about. Jones and Suarez (especially Jones) have been very impressive to start the year and they have earned the attention they are getting. Wouldn't be surprised if Jones steals a win this year

No.

Larson gets three 2nd Place finishes in a row and then he wins both races at Fontana. Larson should own the Lead story and photo for Monday and Tuesday while the wannabe drivers should be down the page if they show up at all. Not even NASCAR's beloved Dale Junior and his wife, dogs, shanty town, boneyard should be the main photo on the front page during that time.

Kyle Larson sweeps the weekend at Fontana -- he SWEEPS the weekend!

In a Chevy (I'm a Ford fan) but have utmost respect for Chip Ganassi Racing.

NASCAR.COM is running Eric Jones and now Daniel Suarez (Toyota drivers) on their website Lead Story???

That is BS.

Understand what you are saying (and I agree with the lead), but what Erik did at Fontana over the course of Practice, Qualifying, and Race was absolutely why I love NASCAR. A rookie. Unreal. You could visibly see the kid get better and faster ultimately resulting in a car with race winning pace. At Fontana. As a rookie.

Understand what you are saying (and I agree with the lead), but what Erik did at Fontana over the course of Practice, Qualifying, and Race was absolutely why I love NASCAR. A rookie. Unreal. You could visibly see the kid get better and faster ultimately resulting in a car with race winning pace. At Fontana. As a rookie.

Suarez going from 16th to 7th on the GWC was pretty badass as well.

Suarez going from 16th to 7th on the GWC was pretty badass as well.

Daniel is steady and consistent for sure, and I think that this has netted him some decent finishes. Erik has a new team and a rookie CC as well. What they did to set up the car in Fontana was the absolute reason I love this sport. Additionally, I saw Erik at Pitpass. The kid is really coming out of his shell. Very friendly and funny! Great stuff. Having said all of that, I will agree with you that Kyle Larson was the story of the weekend. Just a fabulous display of talent. This sport has a future. Spread the word.

It's sad to think that such a talented kid is in a contract year with no hint of an extension yet and he's likely to lose his primary sponsor.

I am impressed and he is definitely on my list of those to watch.

He's from our home town and have been a fan after seeing him kick butt in a sprint car at 14 years old at Placerville Ca.......

I think he raced the fairgrounds again last night (my Dad lives nearby) - too cool. Haven't heard how he did but I did hear Ganassi was nervous.

He is very good........but being in a Gibbs car his rookie year is a huge advantage
Anyone seen Jones drive crappy equipment? I think he would be on the level of Corey Lajoie if he had ever driven crap equipment.

Anyone seen Jones drive crappy equipment? I think he would be on the level of Corey Lajoie if he had ever driven crap equipment.
He has talent sufficient to have avoided bad teams since he started.

Good ones do that.

Not to hijack the thread but what the hell is so great about Corey Lajoie? I know he's the son of Randy but other than that I've never heard of him or any kind of accomplishments he's made behind the wheel of race car. Erik jones busted on to the scene with a big hype behind him and he's proven himself. I do think he was brought up a little too early but he's been impressive thus far and although I'm not a yota fan I'd love to see him pull off a win before the year is over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was pulling Larson when he got into Cup. The only people I really liked before was Brad K. and Gilliland, mainly because David was in John Andretti's old ride and he was a major underdog. I like Suarez too. We need someone besides these doofballs in the sport now. Namely Denny Hamlin and Kyle Busch.

We do like to read between the lines.

Haas doesn't have any Indy cars.

I was surprised to hear Harvick say that. Drivers don't like to admit any one else may be more talented than them. From what I have heard in the past Larson is quite dedicated to Ganassi because Chip gave him a ride when the other top teams wanted him to bring a bunch of money with him. The way the Ganassi teams are running now I don't know why he would switch to another team.

It's going to be a frenzy if Larson ever leaves Ganassi like for our NASCAR world, the equivalent of Lebron James testing Free Agency and signing with the Heat in 2010. I would think every team in the garage would make room to have an opening to have a shot at Larson. I don't think he'll ever leave Ganassi though too many opportunities afforded to him from Chip to race outside of NASCAR like the Indy 500 or Rolex 24. Also as for Harvick's statement, Chase Elliott says hi.

I think Kevin is getting a bit ahead of himself. Larson is off to a great start this year, but a LOT of great drivers have come into the sport since 1993. I'm not ready to put a guy with 2 wins in 3+ seasons in that conversation just yet.

Brad Keselowski?
Joey Logano?
Danny Hamlin?
Kyle Busch?
Jimmie Johnson?

MAN PUT SOME RESPECK ON THEY NAMES!

We have had a lot of talented drivers since '93 come and go. Larson I think has the potential, but honestly JJ has become a legend in a 14 year span, if Larson can replicate anything like that... Especially on dirt in different disciplines and translate it to pavement...

I respect Kevin's opinion, but it's too soon to tell.

Jenna Fryer (Associated Press) addressed Larson's contract status in September 2015, when Clint Bowyer was announced as the guy to take over the 14 car. She said Kyle Larson was Tony's first choice for the 14, but Larson's contract with Ganassi ran through 2017 *and* the contract prohibited Larson from discussing employment with other teams before mid-summer 2017. So Larson's contract *might* be expiring this year, not 2018 as mentioned in the linked article.

Jenna Fryer has a close professional relationship with Tony, and has frequently written about him from the POV of one-on-one interviews that were outside the general media center scrum. So I consider it likely that her reporting on this was accurate. But maybe not, and it is also possible that Kyle and Chip have quietly extended things since September 2015.

Larson seems a good fit with Ganassi, although money and team resources speak loudly when contract time approaches. I haven't seen anything to make me think the Indy 500 is an important factor to Larson. CGR has certainly performed at a high level since last summer, and at the very top this year (along with Penske) but its still early just five races in.

Back
Top Bottom