Lowe's will not sponsor Johnson in 2019

Yes, and as late as 6 months ago, the CEO was telling everybody they would be around for MANY years to come. I don't know, could be a lesson there. :idunno:

The difference is I don't hear the other track presidents crowing about how good they are at finding sponsors......
I dont know, you can dream cant you?

Home Depot should for the obvious reason return and sponsor JJ for his last two contracted years:laugh:

Yes Eddie, just like it was a HUGE opportunity for Charlotte Motor Speedway when Lowes stopped sponsoring THEM. Anybody want to count off the number of fortune 500 companies that lined up for THAT sponsorship opportunity? Eddie Gossage is without a doubt one of the bigger jackasses in the NASCAR world.
Eddie is correct. The opportunity it titanic.

Although there is a difference between opportunity and the actual purchase.

I dont think we will know much about Hendrick and JJs plans til near the end of the season. They still have an obligation and responsibility to LOWES. I believe they will fulfill those obligations. For all we know another deal may already be inked. I would be surprised if it were not. A win would really be a big help for JJ and crew right now. It would take the focus off LOWES leaving.

Eddie is correct. The opportunity it titanic.

Although there is a difference between opportunity and the actual purchase.

I'm not sure I like the word Titanic being used with a sponsorship search for one of my guys. :D I guess when you boil it down, the issue I have is the idea that better opportunities are out there ready to be had, and I just don't believe that. Yes, there are opportunities, and they may end up being quite good, but I do NOT believe that ANYBODY, singularly or combined is going to pay a 42 year old guy on the backside of his career, who frankly hasn't looked all that great lately anywhere CLOSE to what Lowes was paying. I would LOVE to be wrong about that, but in my heart, I just don't believe. The number just don't justify it.

The number 7 doesn't justify it?

I don't think most of the people that are making those decisions today really care too much about that. It's also a what have you done for me lately kind of world. JJ did a LOT for Lowes. He doesn't have that leverage with a new sponsor. I'm not convinced sponsors are going to see the value of ponying up that much money for a NASCAR driver in the current market if he had 15 championships and 300 wins, especially when the guy is on the downside of his career.

I'm not sure I like the word Titanic being used with a sponsorship search for one of my guys. :D I guess when you boil it down, the issue I have is the idea that better opportunities are out there ready to be had, and I just don't believe that. Yes, there are opportunities, and they may end up being quite good, but I do NOT believe that ANYBODY, singularly or combined is going to pay a 42 year old guy on the backside of his career, who frankly hasn't looked all that great lately anywhere CLOSE to what Lowes was paying. I would LOVE to be wrong about that, but in my heart, I just don't believe. The number just don't justify it.

Looking at matters related to Nascar pragmatically can be hazardous to your health around here but I think you are right about the 48 situation. Is it possible that the 48 could get more sponsorship next year over this year? Monkeys could fly out my butt before midnight and the 48 team could get more money but it isn't probable given what we know about the state of Nascar today.

I don't think most of the people that are making those decisions today really care too much about that. It's also a what have you done for me lately kind of world. JJ did a LOT for Lowes. He doesn't have that leverage with a new sponsor. I'm not convinced sponsors are going to see the value of ponying up that much money for a NASCAR driver in the current market if he had 15 championships and 300 wins, especially when the guy is on the downside of his career.
None of us have any idea what the future holds.

One sponsor willing to pony up for a year on the 48 is not required. The only thing that matters to HMS is a number.

They still have an obligation and responsibility to LOWES. I believe they will fulfill those obligations.

You heard it here first. Jimmie Johnson is likelier than not to finish out the 2018 season, and will leave the Lowe's decals on the car.

No, I get what you're saying and agree. HMS is unlikely to step all over Lowe's with a 2019 announcement until very late in the season at earliest, even when it is settled.

One sponsor willing to pony up for a year on the 48 is not required. The only thing that matters to HMS is a number.

None of us know what the future holds but based on the best available information we can forecast what we think will happen. If Lowe's paid 12-15 million to the 48 team it is entirely possible they will get the same money next year. If Lowe's paid 20 million this year it is unlikely HMS could secure that kind of money again. If I look out the window and see very dark clouds moving toward me it is reasonable for me to think rain is coming even though I can't predict the future.

1) I specifically SAID, singular or combined. Either way, I don't think they get close to the Lowes number.
2) So I guess we are only to discuss what HAS happened around here, and never speculate on what MIGHT happen or what is likely TO happen?

1) I specifically SAID, singular or combined. Either way, I don't think they get close to the Lowes number.
2) So I guess we are only to discuss what HAS happened around here, and never speculate on what MIGHT happen or what is likely TO happen?
You can discuss and speculate about whatever you like ... past, present or future.

People will respond. Sometimes, not in a manner you agree with.

You heard it here first. Jimmie Johnson is likelier than not to finish out the 2018 season, and will leave the Lowe's decals on the car.

No, I get what you're saying and agree. HMS is unlikely to step all over Lowe's with a 2019 announcement until very late in the season at earliest, even when it is settled.

Yep, I sounded like "my best guess is Hendrick and JJ will fulfill their obligations to LOWES". I am 100% positive they give it their all. My post made it sound like I doubted it. My bad.

I could care less that you disagree with me, but you seem to have an issue with me having an opinion about it. I say "here's what I THINK is going to happen", and you counter with, "we don't know what the future holds." I don't know how else to interpret that.

I am glad that weather forecasters don't use the excuse that they don't know what the future holds as it is good to hear them predict things based on the best info they have available. It is possible that HMS will be able to cobble sponsorship that exceeds that of what Lowe's is paying but based on everything else that is going on in Nascar it doesn't seem likely. That is your opinion and my opinion and seeing this is a message board where opinions are exchanged it seems reasonable to have and share an opinion.

If someone said that it was likely that the 48 team would get more dollars with the next sponsors I would answer back and by giving the reasons I thought they wouldn't. Or I could say "we don't know what the future holds" but IMO that is a big cop out.

I don't have much to add. The only insight I really get into HMS is through Jimmie's agent...who is also William Byron's agent...and I've gotten wrong info on him before, so who knows!

I'd be surprised if Jimmie retired after this season...however, I would not be surprised if he had a new CC next season (or sooner). What has made that relationship work over the years is Jimmie's patience, and being able to put up with Chad's.....well, we'll call it "attitude." From what I hear, Jimmie's "patience" is very close to running out.

I don't have much to add. The only insight I really get into HMS is through Jimmie's agent...who is also William Byron's agent...and I've gotten wrong info on him before, so who knows!

I'd be surprised if Jimmie retired after this season...however, I would not be surprised if he had a new CC next season (or sooner). What has made that relationship work over the years is Jimmie's patience, and being able to put up with Chad's.....well, we'll call it "attitude." From what I hear, Jimmie's "patience" is very close to running out.

Reddit called and they want you to say something definitive so they can quote you.

When was the last time you heard a driver say "I am very worried about having sponsorship for my car next year?"

Of course in this case Jimmie doesn't have any worries as I can't imagine him not getting sponsors and even stealing some from teams with sponsors on expiring contracts.

The question isn't if JJ will have sponsorship the question is how much less will it be than the reported 20 million Lowe's was paying. I can predict the future on this.

Looking for a 20 mil sponsor could get tough these days BUT HMS could get 3 sponsors willing to have " (name) with Nascar 7 time Champion in the advertising for 12 races at 7 mil each.
JJ retires after 2019 and has a new Crew Chief in 2018.

Looking for a 20 mil sponsor could get tough these days BUT HMS could get 3 sponsors willing to have " (name) with Nascar 7 time Champion in the advertising for 12 races at 7 mil each.
JJ retires after 2019 and has a new Crew Chief in 2018.

In the long run it doesn't matter if JJ's team gets 10 bucks a race as long as he's still driving the hell outta the race car as money doesn't equal speed. If the team does take in less money it will have no impact on staff size or remuneration either. I just learned this stuff recently.

In the long run it doesn't matter if JJ's team gets 10 bucks a race as long as he's still driving the hell outta the race car as money doesn't equal speed. If the team does take in less money it will have no impact on staff size or remuneration either. I just learned this stuff recently.
Stop the flow of money and you will see Rick cut back on people. He was apart of the group that agreed to 1 less people on pit road.

Curling on again today. They took out the cheating with the brooms. :D

I'm not really interested in which owners are the richest or whether they'll make money or not. The racing is so good right now that I'm having a ball watching it. The future will take care of itself without me worrying about it.

All of you need to stop taking pot shots at each other and get back on the damned topic.
If you want to needle each other or insult each other's intelligence do it off open forum.

Some of you have been down the road of "individual moderation" --- we can do that again, if you insist.

yeah he only employs over 10,000 in his various businesses :confused: It pure deathbed Inc. losing that one guy

The amount of people Hendrick Automotive Group employs has nothing to do with his race team operations. Good businessmen normally let each unit stand on its own in terms of profit and loss and if there is something sucking at the bottom line it gets cut off. A successful businessman may even ax something that is profitable and replace it with something more profitable as no one goes into business to break even or take a loss.

I think everyone can agree that having a long term Nascar/Team/Track sponsor like Lowe's leave is not the best. However I don't know anyone that thinks the 48 car will not run each race next year and be fully sponsored even if it means Rick needs to self sponsor for some races. I read that a few years back Lowe's had drastically reduced its payments to HMS so the 48 team already has learned to make do with less. It is my opinion that the 48 team's sponsorship will be worth less next year than this year but no one can say for sure. I am basing my opinion of the 48 getting less money on what has been taking place in the series the past few years.

Some people may have the opinion that the 48 team will get more sponsorship dollars in 2019 and some don't give a hoot. Regardless of which side you come down on it is not worth becoming apoplectic over. This whole thing is just business and nothing worth getting wadded up or angry over.

Why then you should start a race team if his other profit making operations have nothing to do with it.

Why then you should start a race team if his other profit making operations have nothing to do with it.
Rich men like to have things others can not. Some spend millions to race a sailing ship. Building a successful race team that can compete for many years has only been done by less than ten men. Other successful racers have folded their tent and did other things.

Don't know how I missed this so now just getting caught up.
The 48 team is definitely in a full reboot and transition mode. If JJ
does get to an 8th championship through all of this it will certainly be a joy
and pleasure to watch.

Earnhardt Sr., had a dismal 1992 season, finished 12th in the final standings. I recall hearing all kinds of rumors as to why they were off so much. Some of those rumors were very personal. My best guess is there wasn't a lot of truth to the rumors. I also recall the self appointed "experts" declaring RCR/ Sr were finished. Turmoil, infighting, CC swaps, yep it was over. They rebounded and won the title in 93 and 94. So, LOWES is gone, they've had a great run wth Hendrick and JJ/Knaus. LOWES couldn't have partnered with a better combo. How many on this forum saw 7 championships there? I didn't. I can't imagine LOWES is leaving because they didn't get what they paid for, I think they're leaving because they need to. Cutting cost. It's no more than the normal ebb and flow of business. NASCAR, Hendrick, JJ and Knaus will survive. I wouldn't be surprised to see Knaus go to work for NASCAR someday. Years ago, Gary Nelson was regarded as the best cheater in the garage, bar none. NASCAR kinda used a reverse approach to the " if you can't beat em, join em". NASCAR didn't join Nelson, but with enough $$$$ Nelson joined them. I can see Chad going that route. Either way, all involved will land on their feet. Heck, they're already on their feet forever in the lore of NASCAR. The very best of their generation. Indisputable.

I think Lowe's left because they had better things to do with 20 million and they weren't getting a good enough ROI

I think Lowe's left because they had better things to do with 20 million and they weren't getting a good enough ROI

I haven't heard LOWES say that. You know where LOWES is going to spend their savings on other advertising? I've never heard a negative comment from LOWES about NASCAR. JJ and Lowes go together like Earnhardt and GM Goodwrench. And GM was Srs primary on four of his titles, not all seven. LOWES in my opinion has had more exposure at Cup events, than most others. And LOWES had to contend with the never ending saturation of Jr. And, PLEASE no one take that as a JR bash, not meant to be. NASCAR rode that horse to death, while JJ/Hendrick and LOWES was stacking up hardware. LOWES will forever be associated with winning in NASCAR. And when JJ is rightfully enshrined in the HoF, I bet there will be a pic, or several pics of the 48/LOWES car on display from now on. LOWES may never spend another dime in NASCAR, But they got their moneys worth.

I haven't heard LOWES say that. You know where LOWES is going to spend their savings on other advertising? I've never heard a negative comment from LOWES about NASCAR. JJ and Lowes go together like Earnhardt and GM Goodwrench. And GM was Srs primary on four of his titles, not all seven. LOWES in my opinion has had more exposure at Cup events, than most others. And LOWES had to contend with the never ending saturation of Jr. And, PLEASE no one take that as a JR bash, not meant to be. NASCAR rode that horse to death, while JJ/Hendrick and LOWES was stacking up hardware. LOWES will forever be associated with winning in NASCAR. And when JJ is rightfully enshrined in the HoF, I bet there will be a pic, or several pics of the 48/LOWES car on display from now on. LOWES may never spend another dime in NASCAR, But they got their moneys worth.
Well said.

Back
Top Bottom