Lowe's will not sponsor Johnson in 2019

What we DON'T know about Lowes leaving would fill volumes. In reality, we're all just assuming things. It could be
that HMS has known about this for a long time and has prepared for it. I truly believe that HMS will continue racing.

I also don't believe that NASCAR will dry up and blow away tomorrow or even next year. Yes, it may get smaller,
but that happens in business and in life. When the income shrinks, so does your style of living.

I'm just going to sit back, sip my adult beverages and continues to watch. I'm sure not going to worry about it.

Yup. No use in taking Lowe's leaving as a personal insult or freaking out that imaginary people have said the 48 team won't have sponsorship or Nascar is dying. The 48 will have new sponsors and the 36 race schedule will go off as planned next year.

I'm guessing there is more angst among the people that don't know than there is among the people that do know. Rick Hendrick didn't get to where he's at because of dumb luck. If I were a betting man, I'd bet Rick, JJ and Chad are in good shape for 2019. They are probably a lot more concerned with this years performance thus far. The optics of the Lowes departure is going to spun as a giant negative. That's human nature. But, not a single person here knows what the Henrick outfit has in the works.

What we DON'T know about Lowes leaving would fill volumes. In reality, we're all just assuming things. It could be
that HMS has known about this for a long time and has prepared for it. I truly believe that HMS will continue racing.
Agree, it's ridiculous to think this is the demise of HMS or the sport in general. NASCAR has a cyclical history with sponsors, big and small. One thing that never changes is its fan's overreaction to just about anything and everything to do with this sport. Lowe's appears to have left the sport due more to it's overall value as a corporation. They're hurting! Things need to change for them. This is just one of them. Other's may be the loss of employment for some of its current employee's. It's a shame but it's economics.

When I lived in a suburb of the greater Toronto area in Canada, Lowes was the go-to home improvement spot.

Since I moved to New York City (Queens), I do 90% of my shopping at Home Depot. There are way more here than there are Lowes, and the lowes is a mess and I find home depot carries everything. They are also really close to my home.

Sad to see Lowes leave the sport. I wouldn't be surprised to see JJ call it quits at the end of this season.

It is funny how the narrative has been changed from Lowe's leaving Nascar for Nascar is dying and the 48 won't have sponsors for next year when no one even thought of it let alone said it. Kids playing the telephone game have stronger communication skills.

The problem is not people speculating about Nascar matters as if we weren't allowed to speculate and were reduced to factual recitations only the place would be mighty lonely. The problem is the way people become overwrought due to what another person thinks or says.

I don't know why I'm surprised with the announcement, sponsors come and go. I guess I miss the days you could associate a sponsor with a driver and a car number. Multi sponsor deals makes it harder for me to find my favorite drivers when the flag drops - I understand the economics but I don't have to like it.

I shop at Menards, Lowes, and Home Depot, I favor Menards because they are closest (and they still have cashiers - I like having a conversation during checkout).

This thread has provided so much expert level insider knowledge and rational commentary. I think all the issues are solved. How do we show this to NASCAR?

I'm surprised Lowe's stayed on as long as they did. While they survived the '08 recession, they're not back to where they were before then.

This thread has provided so much expert level insider knowledge and rational commentary. I think all the issues are solved. How do we show this to NASCAR?

Evidently, most people here don't want to even acknowledge the problem, let alone offer a solution.

I've been waiting for the "it's Brian's faulters, and of course the ever present, short track will solve all the problems lobby.

...and then we have this...

“I think this is the last year we see Jimmie Johnson race. I think he’s going to retire after this year. I don’t have any inside information, but something tells me he has to be getting to that point in his career.”
–Regan Smith

and then also this...

Guess if these folks on the inside have no clue, neither do we.

...and then we have this...

“I think this is the last year we see Jimmie Johnson race. I think he’s going to retire after this year. I don’t have any inside information, but something tells me he has to be getting to that point in his career.”
–Regan Smith

and then also this...

Guess if these folks on the inside have no clue, neither do we.

There's no way Jimmie Johnson is forced to retire the way Matt Kenseth did. If that does happen, I'll be bitter about it.

Lowe's is leaving because they are struggling financially, and have been for years. I'm surprised they stayed in this long.

Contracts are a formality, they are friends
That faith has been rewarded by seemingly no surprises in contract negotiations over the years between the two sides, though Johnson has stopped short of a longer-term commitment. Gordon famously signed a “lifetime” contract with Hendrick Motorsports in the fall of 1999, an agreement that stretched over another 16 years of racing.
“I’ve had some discussions and that was in play at one point in time, but we just elected to go a different route,” Johnson said. “Rick and I have always said to one another on our word that I always have a spot at Hendrick Motorsports, and I’ve always told him I’m never going anywhere. Instead of it being necessarily a statement and shown through a lifetime contract we have just had a handshake and agreement amongst friends that I’ve got a car and I’ve always told him I’m never going anywhere.”

https://www.nascar.com/news-media/2...year-contract-extension-hendrick-motorsports/

There's no way Jimmie Johnson is forced to retire the way Matt Kenseth did. If that does happen, I'll be bitter about it.

Not gonna happen.

Some of this talk is hilarious. JJ will retire when he wants (and I think it's still a few years away, personally). Also, Hendrick Motorsports isn't switching manufacturers. I saw someone post that from reddit or something, and it won't happen unless Chevrolet leaves the sport (also not gonna happen).

BS rumors lol.

Not gonna happen.

Some of this talk is hilarious. JJ will retire when he wants (and I think it's still a few years away, personally). Also, Hendrick Motorsports isn't switching manufacturers. I saw someone post that from reddit or something, and it won't happen unless Chevrolet leaves the sport (also not gonna happen).

BS rumors lol.

I could see Jimmie Johnson being "forced to retire" in a way, but he'll certainly get to announce that retirement months before his final season. No way he gets the Kenseth treatment and announces his retirement in the middle or at the end of his "final season."

I could see Jimmie Johnson being "forced to retire" in a way, but he'll certainly get to announce that retirement months before his final season. No way he gets the Kenseth treatment and announces his retirement in the middle or at the end of his "final season."

do what? Remember Gordon at Martinsville sponsored by AARP. How many times does Jimmy have to say, I will retire when the fire goes away. This is from 18 hours ago on the Hendrick web site: KEY words "To Have"
No. 48 team to have new primary sponsor in 2019
“I have more to accomplish in this sport. I feel the best I’ve ever felt physically. I’m motivated. I’m focused on winning races and chasing more championships. Someone (a new sponsor) will be a big part of writing that story with us. I’m not going anywhere.”
http://www.hendrickmotorsports.com/...o-48-team-to-have-new-primary-sponsor-in-2019

No. 48 team to have new primary sponsor in 2019
“I have more to accomplish in this sport. I feel the best I’ve ever felt physically. I’m motivated. I’m focused on winning races and chasing more championships. Someone (a new sponsor) will be a big part of writing that story with us. I’m not going anywhere.”

It's a press release man. I hope they do have a new sponsor lined up, but this does not mean they do.

This is like when a team sends out a press release that says "(Driver) perseveres for top-30 finish in face of adversity" when a driver finishes six laps down in 29th.

It's a press release man. I hope they do have a new sponsor lined up, but this does not mean they do.

This is like when a team sends out a press release that says "(Driver) perseveres for top-30 finish in face of adversity" when a driver finishes six laps down in 29th.
won't be no "forced to retire in a way", Gordon or Junior weren't and Johnson sure the heck won't either.

won't be no "forced to retire in a way", Gordon or Junior weren't and Johnson sure the heck won't either.

I don't think he will be forced to retire either, but he MIGHT be forced to accept terms that are not agreeable to him if he wants to continue driving the 48 car, or any other car for that matter.

Evidently, most people here don't want to even acknowledge the problem, let alone offer a solution.
It is always easier to whistle past the graveyard than enter into it.
The part I am looking forward to the most is this time next year when the 48 team is sponsored and running well and you know who says "I told y'all that everything was going to be fine and you yahoos said the team was going to collapse and JJ and Chad were going to get pay cuts and quit." You know its coming!!!

I said in a way. I don't think he'll be given a demand by Hendrick, but I could see him retiring maybe a year before he wants to if he realizes there's no sponsorship or something.

But there's no way he retires without getting the full "retirement tour" treatment.

I got $200 on this being his last year.

I'll take that action. Thanks for buying me a new tablet. :)

It is always easier to whistle past the graveyard than enter into it.
The part I am looking forward to the most is this time next year when the 48 team is sponsored and running well and you know who says "I told y'all that everything was going to be fine and you yahoos said the team was going to collapse and JJ and Chad were going to get pay cuts and quit." You know its coming!!!

Back to the future for Mr. Old / New guy. Old habits die hard.

Back
Top Bottom