NASCAR announces 2019 MENCS rules

I think they have already nearly equaled F-1 levels of non passing. Not only on the 1.5's but on the plate tracks myself. It's time to knock the F-1 out of them

Long: Is Talladega supposed to look like this?
But that performance doesn’t play well to the overall view of the race (or show). With SHR controlling the front and drivers battling ill-handling cars, the two- and three-wide racing so common at Talladega often was replaced by single-file racing.
The 15 lead changes were the fewest at Talladega since 1973.

Green flag passes — a stat NASCAR tracks based on position changes over each scoring loop on every lap — were down 54.4 percent from last fall’s playoff race at Talladega.

Think about that … lead changes at its lowest level since before any driver in Sunday’s race was born and green-flag passes down more than 50 percent from the previous year.

is that something fans want to see more of?

Fewer than 50 percent of the voters said either Talladega race this year was a good one in Gluck’s poll. The April race had 24 lead changes — the fewest for that event since 19 lead changes in the 1998 race — and saw a 57.8 percent decline in green-flag passes.

Such was in limited supply at both Talladega races this year. But it wasn’t just there. The four plate races (Daytona and Talladega) saw 89 lead changes this season — down 29.4 percent from last year’s plate races.

https://nascar.nbcsports.com/2018/10/16/long-is-talladega-supposed-to-look-like-this/

I think they have already nearly equaled F-1 levels of non passing.

I already knew you don't watch F1. Now I really know if you actually think that. ;)

When I think of the concept of knocking the F1 out of the cars, I sure don't think of winged splitters, aero ducts, and huge spoilers. They're injecting some F1 into the cars, minus the power.

I'm getting tired of the need people feel to bash the current racing this season. This is a pattern NASCAR has tacitly encouraged for too long now. While always claiming they are extremely happy and everything is great, what's next is supposedly always a much better enhancement. This creates a perpetual sense of dissatisfaction.

BTW I don't think the racing is terrible, quite a few do think so though. I do think it can be better than it is, I don't think setting records for non passing up front or green flag passes in the field on the plate tracks and the 1.5's is the way to go. I did get a laugh out of winged splitters. Quite a bit of ignorance about the 2019 package but winged splitter that's a good one. almost all of the changes aren't seen. Old one in yellow.

DohRyLtXUAA5mcV.jpg

Last edited:
The 2019 splitters per NASCAR's own announcement have "10.5" wings at ends of splitter (near tires)". I don't care whether they are seen or not. A hidden wing is still a wing. It's the function they have and why they are being added that matters: to add gobs more front downforce. It was stated by O'Donnell and NASCAR that the splitter is designed this way to "balance the car" given the large amount of downforce added to the rear via the spoiler.

Like I said, the larger splitter also covers the trick front end pieces the mega teams were using to create more downforce. BTW I use quotes from the sources

The one thing that has the potential to be a strength of this package is NASCAR hopes that by increasing the portion of the splitter underneath the body of the car by 8 inches in some areas and altering the size of the radiator pan, it can create enough downforce and limit the teams' ability to create more downforce with certain bars and pieces that no longer will be practical.
Knocking the F-1 out of it:
NASCAR isn't going to take the engineering out of the sport. But fans need to believe the driver and crew chief make a difference, and not some piece from simulation designed in the back corner of the shop.
NASCAR can't have this be an engineering exercise. As its top racing boss, Steve O'Donnell, said, there just can't be one preferred racing groove. If this adds racing grooves, that helps.

http://www.espn.com/racing/nascar/s...scar-new-rules-package-2019-cup-series-season

Last edited:
I think they have already nearly equaled F-1 levels of non passing. Not only on the 1.5's but on the plate tracks myself. It's time to knock the F-1 out of them

But that performance doesn’t play well to the overall view of the race (or show). With SHR controlling the front and drivers battling ill-handling cars, the two- and three-wide racing so common at Talladega often was replaced by single-file racing.

Green flag passes — a stat NASCAR tracks based on position changes over each scoring loop on every lap — were down 54.4 percent from last fall’s playoff race at Talladega.

Think about that … lead changes at its lowest level since before any driver in Sunday’s race was born and green-flag passes down more than 50 percent from the previous year.

Fewer than 50 percent of the voters said either Talladega race this year was a good one in Gluck’s poll. The April race had 24 lead changes — the fewest for that event since 19 lead changes in the 1998 race — and saw a 57.8 percent decline in green-flag passes.

Such was in limited supply at both Talladega races this year. But it wasn’t just there. The four plate races (Daytona and Talladega) saw 89 lead changes this season — down 29.4 percent from last year’s plate races.

https://nascar.nbcsports.com/2018/10/16/long-is-talladega-supposed-to-look-like-this/
Haha. Not a chance. The most passing in a Grand Prix this year (dry only) was 60 overtakes at Japan a few weeks ago. It’s not loop data derived so there’s a lot it doesn’t include, but that’s what goes on on the track. And I really don’t think you want to see the numbers for the street courses.

Haha. Not a chance. The most passing in a Grand Prix this year (dry only) was 60 overtakes at Japan a few weeks ago. It’s not loop data derived so there’s a lot it doesn’t include, but that’s what goes on on the track. And I really don’t think you want to see the numbers for the street courses.
yeah I would it would be interesting to find a link?

Please keep in mind that if it can’t be witnessed on a scoring monitor or verified through data loops it didn’t happen:)

NASCAR is countering the engineers guys, nothing more to see here. Say what you will but you cannot have seasons where a manufacturer is completely out of it. Last year Ford was hot garbage and now Chevrolet is entirely lacking this year.

Look at this year and how the winners have came in streaks, it’s mostly due to engineers and teams hitting something that blows the competition out of the water. Probably not the best for entertainment

Look at this year and how the winners have came in streaks, it’s mostly due to engineers and teams hitting something that blows the competition out of the water.
I don't see a way around that other than a spec series or regular BOP adjustments.

I don't have a problem with a spec series, just with the Cup series becoming one.

As to BOP changes, I don't miss the days when NASCAR would issue weekly manufacturer-specific measurement changes to the spoilers.

It won't surprise anyone here, but Talladega and Daytona are the two tracks where I'm optimistic about the effects of the new package on racing. I'm willing to see almost anything tried there over extending the life of the current Band-Aids (tm).

It won't surprise anyone here, but Talladega and Daytona are the two tracks where I'm optimistic about the effects of the new package on racing. I'm willing to see almost anything tried there over extending the life of the current Band-Aids (tm).

there is a new kid in town pard.

Melbourne - 5
Monaco - 4
Singapore - 6

Baku had 44 but it also literally has a front straight that's almost a mile-and-a-half long.
Plenty of space for a speed advantage to permit passing, and plenty of room going into the turn to out-brake the other guy?

Sell your stock in brake related companies as with as many times drivers will be flat footing it next year brake part sales will have to decrease. :)

Melbourne - 5
Monaco - 4
Singapore - 6

Baku had 44 but it also literally has a front straight that's almost a mile-and-a-half long.
no links but ya left out the zeros, ah never mind they race like sissy's on top of everything else. I think they are scared of even trying, anal race control and all.

no links but ya left out the zeros, ah never mind they race like sissy's on top of everything else. I think they are scared of even trying, anal race control and all.

I'm so glad I don't know what a penalty point is, and don't have to care or learn.

I'm so glad I don't know what a penalty point is, and don't have to care or learn.

To be fair, in NASCAR, you'd know it as probation, which means "we'll make up the next penalty when you screw up again".

I think of NASCAR and F1 as fundamentally different and scarcely comparable. I enjoy both, but am certainly willing to criticize both as well.

That's where he gets it from, he watches F-1 and then when he watches Nascar he thinks there is a lot of passing. :D:D:p

NASCAR is countering the engineers guys, nothing more to see here. Say what you will but you cannot have seasons where a manufacturer is completely out of it. Last year Ford was hot garbage and now Chevrolet is entirely lacking this year.

Look at this year and how the winners have came in streaks, it’s mostly due to engineers and teams hitting something that blows the competition out of the water. Probably not the best for entertainment

The teams voted for it, allegedly.

I sometimes ask myself why a team would spend millions on engine and aero development and then allow NASCAR to nullify it with a restrictor plate and some glory holes on the front of the car. I'm not a genius like everyone else is on NASCAR forums so it's hard to know.

I watched the delayed Kansas ARCA race yesterday. Three wide in the corners, multiple passes in the field thru out the race. Finally a race that was able to exploit the progressive banking the track has to defeat most of the aero. The slower speeds worked well there. The winner Sheldon Creed sustained damage from a lower car sliding up, had to make some repairs under the caution and was able to make late race passes to get to the front and win. Best race to watch by far for the Kansas weekend.

I watched the delayed Kansas ARCA race yesterday. Three wide in the corners, multiple passes in the field thru out the race. Finally a race that was able to exploit the progressive banking the track has to defeat most of the aero. The slower speeds worked well there. The winner Sheldon Creed sustained damage from a lower car sliding up, had to make some repairs under the caution and was able to make late race passes to get to the front and win. Best race to watch by far for the Kansas weekend.
I have no objections to slower speeds. It's slower acceleration and being able to run wide open all the way around that I'm dreading.

I already knew you don't watch F1. Now I really know if you actually think that. ;)

When I think of the concept of knocking the F1 out of the cars, I sure don't think of winged splitters, aero ducts, and huge spoilers. They're injecting some F1 into the cars, minus the power.

I'm getting tired of the need people feel to bash the current racing this season. This is a pattern NASCAR has tacitly encouraged for too long now. While always claiming they are extremely happy and everything is great, what's next is supposedly always a much better enhancement. This creates a perpetual sense of dissatisfaction.

This post all day long. You. Nailed. It.

NASCAR has a couple of choices....Make the teams spend millions to find an edge, or make the teams spend millions and open the damn box. Racing is expensive.

Huh? I don't think Nascar is making anybody spend millions. It is the other way around. :confused:

2019 is costing the teams millions. Who made the rule change? Hell, if it wasn't for the RTA we would have had the All Star Package by summer.

I think it is time for a new Yota front end. It's been a year. :D

Probably. Every time WE get one we like, NASCAR comes up with something to make it obsolete. Sure hope that Mustang front end works out okay. I am sure it will. Just jiggle the tent a bit, some black paint, and we will all be in for Kez's Rude Awakening.

Mouse in your pocket WE. Speaking of ugly ass race cars, the yoters have a new two seater they are going to stretch out made by BMW next year, maybe that will change their luck in the Xfinity. Hopefully those poor broke S.O.B's will be able to afford it.

If you're discussing the revived Supra, that sucker belongs over in IMSA where it will be permitted / required to run much closer to what comes out of the factory. That's where the Mustang belongs too, and I wish the Camaro was still in that series. If you're going to market a sports car or muscle car, run it where it can strut its stuff.

If you're discussing the revived Supra, that sucker belongs over in IMSA where it will be permitted / required to run much closer to what comes out of the factory. That's where the Mustang belongs too, and I wish the Camaro was still in that series. If you're going to market a sports car or muscle car, run it where it can strut its stuff.
Yep totally agree, but then this is NASCAR it doesn't have to make sense.

Back
Top Bottom