NASCAR announces 2019 MENCS rules

They are probably carrying MUCH more speed through the corners thanks to lower entry speeds and significantly increased downforce. People forget just how much they lift at Atlanta but it is substantial even in comparison to the other 1.5-mile tri-/quad-ovals. Average lap speed (lord knows how much we love that metric) might be relatively similar but they are probably generating it much differently. They used to lift really early and pick the throttle back up really late at Atlanta.

They are probably carrying MUCH more speed through the corners thanks to lower entry speeds and significantly increased downforce. People forget just how much they lift at Atlanta but it is substantial even in comparison to the other 1.5-mile tri-/quad-ovals. Average lap speed (lord knows how much we love that metric) might be relatively similar but they are probably generating it much differently. They used to lift really early and pick the throttle back up really late at Atlanta.

Almost 190 into turn 1, down to 140. Now they'll be going from 170-150, similar average speed but way less lifting.

this package will be great,
driver can turn on the cruise control,
and pour himself a cofefe from his thermos,
while steering with his knees.

Blaney above never led a lap, passed the 38 car that finished two laps down, and the 51 car that didn't finish. 9 lead changes in that race, Johnson and Newman led less the 5 laps between them, Larson for 7. Harvick led 292 laps out of 325. spell binding watching that for 3 and a half hours. :D Hey a real or a Harvick fan will, but that isn't going to interest many to tune in IMO.

Blaney above never led a lap, passed the 38 car that finished two laps down, and the 51 car that didn't finish. 9 lead changes in that race, Johnson and Newman led less the 5 laps between them, Larson for 7. Harvick led 292 laps out of 325. spell binding watching that for 3 and a half hours. :D Hey a real or a Harvick fan will, but that isn't going to interest many to tune in IMO.
Harvick already had the illegal paint scheme by that time to trick the OSS (1st team to do it), and likely had a caved in window that went undetected :cool:

Video quality is much better on mobile from what I found, but it may have just been my luck...

Reactions: Pat
I think if Johnnie Cochran was describing the difference between the fans of 2019 rules and 2018 rules it would be something like this.
“2019 wants the show and 2018 wants the go.”

I am not quibbling with anyone’s preference toward the show but I dont think they understand that there is no way the new rules can be made right with the “go” crowd. It isn’t because of obstinance but it is about fundamentals.

I don’t know what any of that has to do with the clips.

Maybe it's the angle. I sit a lot lower. But, I don't see the sliding coming out of turn 4 that I'm use to seeing at AMS. They appear to be glued to the track to me.
noidea.gif

so could be is the same as are.. right?
Please..... Don't try to ruin the sky is falling attitude around here. We are going to need to carry this ongoing discontent through a long off season starting in just a few short weeks. Let us at least have the unknown result of these changes to endlessly complain about until February.

Please..... Don't try to ruin the sky is falling attitude around here. We are going to need to carry this ongoing discontent through a long off season starting in just a few short weeks. Let us at least have the unknown result of these changes to endlessly complain about until February.

I do believe in my heart of hearts, that the racing could be spellbinding next year and it would not change the opinions around here one iota. :p

With NASCAR when changes are made it is not uncommon for there to be a list of unintended consequences. IDK if it is because what they are doing is exceptionally difficult, ineptitude or something else.

I mean you can't sit here and post videos of the drivers talking in a (somewhat) positive light about this thing and say "Listen to the drivers!", then turn the other cheek when it's said that the garage may not share the same opinion of it. Do we listen or not?

Honestly, I think the drivers probably all - or close to - think this thing sucks ass and are just trying their hardest to not entirely take a dump on it and make NASCAR look bad. Cause what happens if they do that? Nobody tunes in, and even less people show up. They aren't going to sabotage their own sport. I don't think it's unreasonable to believe that these guys have a pretty damn good idea what the racing is going to be like next year. They've been doing this long enough and there's enough smart people in the sport to make a halfway educated guess. All we're hearing are a bunch of vaguely positive soundbites. I haven't seen a single one where someone was truly jazzed up about it the way they were when the lower downforce package was announced. And while I know that package wasn't great once the engineers wrangled it in, you still saw excitement around the potential for what it could bring. Nobody seems genuinely excited about the potential of this experiment.

I do believe in my heart of hearts, that the racing could be spellbinding next year and it would not change the opinions around here one iota. :p

I have heard comments like that before. Any guesses what makes NASCAR fans that way as the stick and ball sports I follow are not like that at all.

I mean you can't sit here and post videos of the drivers talking in a (somewhat) positive light about this thing and say "Listen to the drivers!", then turn the other cheek when it's said that the garage may not share the same opinion of it. Do we listen or not?

Honestly, I think the drivers probably all - or close to - think this thing sucks ass and are just trying their hardest to not entirely take a dump on it and make NASCAR look bad. Cause what happens if they do that? Nobody tunes in, and even less people show up. They aren't going to sabotage their own sport. I don't think it's unreasonable to believe that these guys have a pretty damn good idea what the racing is going to be like next year. They've been doing this long enough and there's enough smart people in the sport to make a halfway educated guess. Yet all we're hearing are a bunch of vaguely positive soundbites. I haven't seen a single one where someone was truly jazzed up about it the way they were when the lower downforce package was announced. And while I know that package wasn't great once the engineers wrangled it in, you still saw excitement around the potential for what it could bring. Nobody seems genuinely excited about the potential of this experiment.

I remember Carl Edwards being very enthusiastic about the low downforce package as well as other drivers.

If ideas and opinions can’t be tossed around back and forth what is the point of having a forum?

Still a large contingent that doesn’t understand what some people see as fundamentally wrong with the 2019 rules. Hint-it has nothing to do with how the racing will be.

Honestly, I think the drivers probably all - or close to - think this thing sucks ass and are just trying their hardest to not entirely take a dump on it and make NASCAR look bad. Cause what happens if they do that? Nobody tunes in, and even less people show up. They aren't going to sabotage their own sport. I don't think it's unreasonable to believe that these guys have a pretty damn good idea what the racing is going to be like next year. They've been doing this long enough and there's enough smart people in the sport to make a halfway educated guess. All we're hearing are a bunch of vaguely positive soundbites. I haven't seen a single one where someone was truly jazzed up about it the way they were when the lower downforce package was announced. And while I know that package wasn't great once the engineers wrangled it in, you still saw excitement around the potential for what it could bring. Nobody seems genuinely excited about the potential of this experiment.
@AdoubleU24 , well said, I agree with one big caveat... I think the low downforce rules have produced a ton of great racing. Current rules plus changes to slash side force is exactly my preferred path for Nascar. JMO.

@StandOnIt, there seems to be a way back echo chamber here. Unintended consequences and all... where did you park our Delorean? LOL

Same crap I heard when the stages idea came up, people crying and whining but then just like that, they loved it. Never understood people who prejudge something they've never seen.

Racing geek here. There are going to be three different packages in use next year besides the road course package. First time for that. There will be plenty to cuss and discuss next year. Martinsville, I repeat Martinsville will not be affected..neither will Bristol for that matter.

@StandOnIt, there seems to be a way back echo chamber here. Unintended consequences and all... where did you park our Delorean? LOL
well we just had a discussion about the most important part of the suspension. And Goodyear has been tire testing with the new package, drivers said they had fall off and they had to drive it at Atlanta. I keep my nose up for these things. Couple of very small clips one can interpret it any way they want to about the test they had there, but I do believe tires will be one of the big keys as to how these packages work. Johnson guessed entry speeds were in the 180 range going into the corners FWIW plenty fast to me. This was the non duct package, supposed to be the low HP I believe. (and I never believe Nascar HP numbers)

I was a roval critic at first and the race was a barn burner. I'm a fan.

If this package creates solid racing similar to what we are seeing currently, and drivers say that they still have to actually drive these cars and it doesn't look like slow, fender-having indy cars, I'll be a fan.

What we have seen and what we have heard is not very encouraging. Again, a close average speed is not the end-all, beat-all metric. Accel and decel counts for something.

It's hilarious that I can say that the racing has been fantastic and I'll get called a death bedder. Pretty sure I'm not the one advocating completely overhauling how the sport races.

Back
Top Bottom