NASCAR announces 2019 MENCS rules

Not everyone. I have noticed that those that don't watch much racing do.
Most of the reviews give the races a 7 or higher and that is from the TV version.
Most that attend a race seem to be quite pleased.
I've enjoyed 90% of this year's races. Vegas 1, Kentucky, most of Dover 2 and Talladega were boring but other than that it's been at least decent. Several races from this season are top 10 of the decade.
Hell even Pocono didn't produce a stinker and I'm usually half asleep in the stands there.

I've watched every lap of every Cup race this year and attended one, and for the most part I have found the speedway racing painfully dull as a whole. Sure there have been some moments, but I just haven't seen much that would make me want to try to get somebody else to watch it. I'm not saying this new package is the answer, and I think it should be rolled out on more of an experimental basis, but I'm willing to try SOMETHING to make these races more entertaining without making them a farce. I know there are some purists that like what they have seen, but the truth is that just like Sportscar racing, it isn't going to survive very long strictly on the backs of the purists. I just hope that NASCAR and the teams are willing to take an honest look at the results and be willing to make changes as needed instead of continuing to try to force a square peg into a round hole. As I have said before, I don't think there is a one size fits all answer. What works at Michigan might not work at Fontana, and what's good for Kentucky might not work at Chicago. I would like to see a scenario where horsepower levels and and the amount of drag placed on the cars could adjusted on the fly as situations present itself. I don't think it would be a bad thing to have teams build cars or even to show up at the track not knowing exactly how much power and downforce they will have that week.

There is nothing fundamentally wrong with the racing. I seriously question what someone who claims there’s been no close racing on intermediates has been watching. For the first time in a while drivers have been able to get on someone’s bumper and loosen them up. This isn’t the package of a few years ago with so much downforce and dirty air that Denny Hamlin won an ASR by driving in the middle of the track to hold off a faster Kevin Harvick.

I haven’t seen (m)any races this year where the faster cars couldn’t pass. Just some pantybunching that three teams had it figured out better than others for most of the year.
Exactly. This has been a really great season and everyone has shat on it.
I believe this is a by-product of the points system nascar has created and the media not being able to focus on anything other than Harvick, Kyle Busch and MTJ.

While “the only thing that matters is winning” has lead a handful of teams winning many races early on, the media hyperfocused on their seasons and shed little to no light on the long term points battle to get into the chase. Then, when the big 3 stopped winning consistently and the media focus didnt shift away, it made the season look stale.

Theres been some fun races and theres been some horrendous snoozers. That’s just what has always encompassed a full nascar season and the culture of instant gratification has lost sight of that fact.

There is nothing fundamentally wrong with the racing. I seriously question what someone who claims there’s been no close racing on intermediates has been watching. For the first time in a while drivers have been able to get on someone’s bumper and loosen them up. This isn’t the package of a few years ago with so much downforce and dirty air that Denny Hamlin won an ASR by driving in the middle of the track to hold off a faster Kevin Harvick.

I haven’t seen (m)any races this year where the faster cars couldn’t pass. Just some pantybunching that three teams had it figured out better than others for most of the year.
Well said, FL. I've been thrilled with the quality of the racing over the last two years. Most complaints about aero push are just habit rather than an objective assessment, at almost all tracks. They are lazy, and wrong, and harmful to the sport... just contemplate what Nascar has given us instead for 2019.

All 2018 needed was for a couple of teams to step up and compete with The Big 3... HMS and Penske... and both have finally done that or nearly so.

I've watched every lap of every Cup race this year and attended one, and for the most part I have found the speedway racing painfully dull as a whole. Sure there have been some moments, but I just haven't seen much that would make me want to try to get somebody else to watch it. I'm not saying this new package is the answer, and I think it should be rolled out on more of an experimental basis, but I'm willing to try SOMETHING to make these races more entertaining without making them a farce. I know there are some purists that like what they have seen, but the truth is that just like Sportscar racing, it isn't going to survive very long strictly on the backs of the purists. I just hope that NASCAR and the teams are willing to take an honest look at the results and be willing to make changes as needed instead of continuing to try to force a square peg into a round hole. As I have said before, I don't think there is a one size fits all answer. What works at Michigan might not work at Fontana, and what's good for Kentucky might not work at Chicago. I would like to see a scenario where horsepower levels and and the amount of drag placed on the cars could adjusted on the fly as situations present itself. I don't think it would be a bad thing to have teams build cars or even to show up at the track not knowing exactly how much power and downforce they will have that week.
All they need to do is alternate the rear spoilers for different tracks.

All they need to do is alternate the rear spoilers for different tracks.
They are doing that with changes to the front end of the car, much larger under pan to take away the aero voodo parts advantages the mega teams have developed for the front suspension pieces, and I believe different sized aero ducts will be used at some tracks. Different sized tapered spacers to change the horsepower will be used depending on the size of the track. Actually way more tuning the car to the different sized tracks than back in the day. Should work better than the one size fits all they are using today. No in car track bar adjustment should change things up a bit also. Cars will be plenty hard to drive.

Last edited:
Sounds good to me. I am not one who thinks the more speed the better. The racing during the best years only had about 650 HP, poor tires and not much adjustment during the race.
Better drivers went faster and did more passing. DE and JG knew how to move cars out of their way. :D

I do understand what FJ is saying about making the sport more attractive for new fans as they will be the lifeblood of the sport. NASCAR is walking a tight rope as none of the changes that have been made over the years have moved the needle in slowing down the exodus of fans leaving.

Sounds good to me. I am not one who thinks the more speed the better. The racing during the best years only had about 650 HP, poor tires and not much adjustment during the race.
Better drivers went faster and did more passing. DE and JG knew how to move cars out of their way. :D

I have been looking at race cars and races from the mid to late 80's lately. Next year they will be real close in HP and bodies to that era on the larger tracks. I think it is going to be interesting. Cars could run right up on the rear bumper and slide over top or bottom to make a pass. With the slower speeds aero didn't appear to be much of a problem. If they had the car to do it they could pass. They were doing the same thing at that tire test. I think they are pretty dialed in for the 1.5's

The racing will suck next year and the cars will be slow as HELL!! The 392 Charger I’m about to get will have the same damn HP as a cup car that’s ridiculous! I’m prob done watching after this year.. I have loved this sport over the past 3 years but these changes suck and all the damn races will be like all star race witch I attended at the cars was so damn slow I’n person and looked even slower on tv.. only way to pass is getting a good run and a push smh that’s so stupid!

The racing will suck next year and the cars will be slow as HELL!! The 392 Charger I’m about to get will have the same damn HP as a cup car that’s ridiculous! I’m prob done watching after this year.. I have loved this sport over the past 3 years but these changes suck and all the damn races will be like all star race witch I attended at the cars was so damn slow I’n person and looked even slower on tv.. only way to pass is getting a good run and a push smh that’s so stupid!

I here what you are saying but even if the 2019 rules do suck there will still be some good racing just not as much as this year.

I here what you are saying but even if the 2019 rules do suck there will still be some good racing just not as much as this year.
Naw next year will be fake! It will all be about getting a good run and the draft ! It will be terrible.. it’s only about 10-15 % about driver now that’s it! Next year will be 2-5 % it will be terrible.. I know now when I watch a race it’s really not about the driver it’s more about the crew chief and that damn car.. but sometimes u get a tiny bit of driver in a race just a tiny tiny bit but next year man it will be all about the runs u get off people and so on nothing about the driver will even matter anymore and that’s crazy watching a damn sport where the person controlling the object doesn’t even matter they are just there!

I really think I’m out! I spent a lot of money the last 3 years trying to help thus sport.. trying to bring new fans and open it up to more people and buying a lot of merchandise and so on!! But this is BS these rules are so damn terrible! I bout passed out when I heard what they was doing and u can tell the drivers hate it but hey they have to pay there BILLS! They have went so damn far away from what made the sport what it is after next year year I don’t think it will be any going back ..

Naw next year will be fake! It will all be about getting a good run and the draft ! It will be terrible.. it’s only about 10-15 % about driver now that’s it! Next year will be 2-5 % it will be terrible.. I know now when I watch a race it’s really not about the driver it’s more about the crew chief and that damn car.. but sometimes u get a tiny bit of driver in a race just a tiny tiny bit but next year man it will be all about the runs u get off people and so on nothing about the driver will even matter anymore and that’s crazy watching a damn sport where the person controlling the object doesn’t even matter they are just there!

In my opinion the rules next year are meant to penalize drivers with the highest level of skill and I disagree with that.

In my opinion the rules next year are meant to penalize drivers with the highest level of skill and I disagree with that.
I agree, and that's why if the mile and a half races next year look anything similar to the All Star race, I'm not watching or attending anything over a mile without right turns except the Daytona 500.

The racing will suck next year and the cars will be slow as HELL!! The 392 Charger I’m about to get will have the same damn HP as a cup car that’s ridiculous!

You DO know that the Factory Corvette race cars that have dominated GT racing for the last two decades have to by rule have to run smaller less powerful engines than their road going counterpart, right? If fact, in IMSA's top class, the prototypes, the cars have Significantly less horsepower than either a ZR1 Corvette or a Hellcat, and probably a Ford GT too. At Indianapolis, a Cup car goes about 50 MPH less than an Indy car. Does it really matter?

The cream ALWAYS rises to the top, regardless of the rules. When something doesn't happen to his truck, how many Truck races does Kyle Busch lose? Just like the plate races, the backmarkers might only be a couple of seconds behind instead of couple of laps, but they will STILL be behind.

You DO know that the Factory Corvette race cars that have dominated GT racing for the last two decades have to by rule have to run smaller less powerful engines than their road going counterpart, right? If fact, in IMSA's top class, the prototypes, the cars have Significantly less horsepower than either a ZR1 Corvette or a Hellcat, and probably a Ford GT too. At Indianapolis, a Cup car goes about 50 MPH less than an Indy car. Does it really matter?
Yes!!

I have been looking at race cars and races from the mid to late 80's lately. Next year they will be real close in HP and bodies to that era on the larger tracks. I think it is going to be interesting. Cars could run right up on the rear bumper and slide over top or bottom to make a pass. With the slower speeds aero didn't appear to be much of a problem. If they had the car to do it they could pass. They were doing the same thing at that tire test. I think they are pretty dialed in for the 1.5's

The problem is that the cars from the late 80's and the cars in 2019 are vastly different from an aero standpoint. The cars in the late 80's did not have the downforce that the cars in 2019 will have.
I'm kind of excited about the new package for selfish reasons. Once they see that the high downforce on these cars isn't what they thought it would be, they will start lowering downforce again, hopefully keeping the 550HP engines. At that point, NASCAR will explode again! The racing will be fantastic with a 550HP engine and low downforce! That's what i'm hoping we get to and if I have to watch the high downforce disaster for a year or two, I'm ok with that.

OK, you are the boss and have the money, what are you going to fix, how are you going to fix it all the while making everybody happy?

If money were no object I could definitely fix nascar!

Even if I have to stay within budget, I have a few ideas to put the sport back on the map again but I think this topic has been covered in a few other threads so no need to hash it out here.

The problem is that the cars from the late 80's and the cars in 2019 are vastly different from an aero standpoint. The cars in the late 80's did not have the downforce that the cars in 2019 will have.
I'm kind of excited about the new package for selfish reasons. Once they see that the high downforce on these cars isn't what they thought it would be, they will start lowering downforce again, hopefully keeping the 550HP engines. At that point, NASCAR will explode again! The racing will be fantastic with a 550HP engine and low downforce! That's what i'm hoping we get to and if I have to watch the high downforce disaster for a year or two, I'm ok with that.

I don't think they are vastly different. Nascar over the last couple of years has made a number of changes to the rules concerning the front end area. All of them were designed to take away downforce that the teams had gained and they have the teams pretty locked in with the inspection systems for the top of the car. But your right if Nascar thinks something isn't right it will get changed. The screwed up part is that they have to wait a year for any major changes to be made.

Last edited:
In comparison last Michigan pole speed was 202 compared to 174 at the Michigan race that Davy won. 31 lead changes
@StandOnIt, I think you present very good counterpoints to those who are concerned that 2019 rules will make the cars visibly slower. I believe most viewers will quickly acclimate to the absolute speeds they are viewing, within the relevant ranges we are talking about.

But there are others who dread WFO running as dumbed down racing that eliminates the primacy of car control skills. I'm one of these. To me, good racing is all about razor-edge car control combined with aggressive moves in traffic. Your focus on average lap speeds and # of passes for the lead do not respond to these concerns. Sorry, bro, that's just the way it is. (In the text box below, I'll repeat what I posted earlier about average lap speeds...)
I pay no attention to average lap speeds in deciding whether the racing is good or not. For the last five years or so, I have focused on the *difference* between peak top speed and minimum valley speed as a key measure of degree of difficulty / car control skill...

2015 Rules: Enter at 200... lift and glide down to 188... stand on the gas again... average speed 195. That is relatively easy.

2018 Rules: Enter at 218... brake hard, rotors glowing... apex at 158... feather the gas seems like forever... finally stand on it... average speed 195. Much harder, separates the contenders from the pretenders.

This is why I favor low downforce and high horsepower. 2019 will be even easier to drive than 2015 in terms of car control. Nascar found the key to good skill-based racing on the fast tracks... and then threw it away. Were they stupid? Were they force by an ignorant, dis-interested public? I don't know which..:idunno:

160-170 miles per hour in 1990 was not dumbed down.

160-170 miles per hour in 2019 is totally dumbed down as you are taking away the skills of the top drivers.

All this goal post moving of how fast the fans think the cars are going or average lap speeds is not pertinent to the problem 2019 presents.

Intentionally slowing cars down is the fundamental problem period.

160-170 miles per hour in 1990 was not dumbed down.

160-170 miles per hour in 2019 is totally dumbed down as you are taking away the skills of the top drivers.

All this goal post moving of how fast the fans think the cars are going or average lap speeds is not pertinent to the problem 2019 presents.

Intentionally slowing cars down is the fundamental problem period.

Not the first time NASCAR has slowed the cars and wont be the last..

The faster they go, the less maneuverable the car is and the more the car is affected by turbulence. High or low downforce, doesn't matter much either way (unless it is out in front in clean air without any backmarkers close and how they scream if there is one). Those are the laws of physics.
@StandOnIt, I think you present very good counterpoints to those who are concerned that 2019 rules will make the cars visibly slower. I believe most viewers will quickly acclimate to the absolute speeds they are viewing, within the relevant ranges we are talking about.

But there are others who dread WFO running as dumbed down racing that eliminates the primacy of car control skills. I'm one of these. To me, good racing is all about razor-edge car control combined with aggressive moves in traffic. Your focus on average lap speeds and # of passes for the lead do not respond to these concerns. Sorry, bro, that's just the way it is. (In the text box below, I'll repeat what I posted earlier about average lap speeds...)
What you are saying in essence is that drivers like the Allisons, the Petty's, Waltrip's Yarbourgh and Earnhardt weren't skillfull at those speeds. Ok

What you are saying in essence is that drivers like the Allisons, the Petty's, Waltrip's Yarbourgh and Earnhardt weren't skillfull at those speeds. Ok
I'm not saying that. Those guys were not WFO lap after lap. They had to lift, brake, feather the throttle. They had to drive to go 174, but in 2019 it will be droning around WFO. We're not bringing back 1980's cars with 1980's suspensions, handling, and tires.

they aren't bringing back an 80 looking car, but the laws of physics haven't changed. First it was the plate, then it was the pack, now it is dumbing down, whatever. Ignoring the laws of physics for some romanticized opinion, when the laws of physics say that the faster the cars go, the more the advantage of clean air increases, and the cars trailing behind are more disadvantaged. Hint. 6 and 7 figured pit guns should wake a person up to how important being out front in clean air is. Any reduction in that advantage should in theory take away much of that advantage. Reducing the speeds should be obvious.

If money were no object I could definitely fix nascar!

Even if I have to stay within budget, I have a few ideas to put the sport back on the map again but I think this topic has been covered in a few other threads so no need to hash it out here.
Nah its ok, just give me a Readers Digest Version of whats wrong and how to fix it.

I'm not saying that. Those guys were not WFO lap after lap. They had to lift, brake, feather the throttle. They had to drive to go 174, but in 2019 it will be droning around WFO. We're not bringing back 1980's cars with 1980's suspensions, handling, and tires.
I think they will still have to brake, feather on the mile and a half tracks deep in to a run provided they have Goodyear construct a tire that wears a little faster

I think they will still have to brake, feather on the mile and a half tracks deep in to a run provided they have Goodyear construct a tire that wears a little faster
They have already said that it depends on how you trim out the car for speed or handling while doing the tire test. They have adjustability. Fast will probably be loose.

Some people don't like racing and probably have never driven anything that races. Therefore they think 200+ mph is just great and anything slower can't be any good.
True race fans have enjoyed everything up to Brian's COT and so a slower car can produce better racing.

Yeah, this. The cars back then raced and handled that way because they were designed under the knowledge constraints of that era; i.e.: were not nearly as efficient as the cars of today are. Now they are being artificially hamstrung well below their capabilities. Those cars of yesteryear definitely weren't glued to the ground and didn't have a big honkin' spoiler to induce drafting either. I can assure you they didn't handle how a 2019 Cup car will regardless of how average speeds compare.

It is certainly possible to make race cars too fast - see the 2017-2018 Formula One cars with their ridiculous downforce levels that make it damn near impossible to pass - but modern NASCAR has not come even close to that point.

Back
Top Bottom