NASCAR announces 2019 MENCS rules

This is fantastic news for NASCAR. The racing will be the closest we've ever seen and talents like Ricky Stenhouse Jr. and Austin Dillon will not be hampered by poor equipment so much and will be able to manipulate the air on their way through the field. I expect 2019 will have more photo finishes than the Cup Series has ever seen before.

And not only that, but manufacturers are beating down the door trying to get into NASCAR with lower HP engines. We could be entering a true golden era of NASCAR Cup racing.
I'll believe that when I see it.

I am intrigued by it. I feel like a lot of race fans downplay the "chess match" element of pack racing. Pack racing is more of a mental game and requires a different type of driving ability. The best drivers (Jeff Gordon, Dale Earnhardt, Jimmie Johnson, Tony Stewart) can adapt and be successful at it. The ones who can't just whine and complain.

I'm not sure if I want too much of it. I like a varied schedule.

This is fantastic news for NASCAR. The racing will be the closest we've ever seen and talents like Ricky Stenhouse Jr. and Austin Dillon will not be hampered by poor equipment so much and will be able to manipulate the air on their way through the field. I expect 2019 will have more photo finishes than the Cup Series has ever seen before.

And not only that, but manufacturers are beating down the door trying to get into NASCAR with lower HP engines. We could be entering a true golden era of NASCAR Cup racing.

I'll believe that when I see it.
:XXROFL:
Yin and Yang right here

It's racing, I want the cars to go like a cat dipped in kerosene down the straights, then roll out of the gas, use the brakes, get through the corner as fast as they can then get the power down without burning off the rear tires and repeat again and again. It's called 'driving'.
I'm hoping this new rules package will deliver.

I am sceptical about the new package, but I can't say if it's good or bad before I've seen it in a race.
However, I think NASCAR forgot that this year has actually had some great racing.
The 2019 rules package looks like drivers can go flat out the whole lap at all tracks with 1.5+ miles.
Of Course, side-by-side racing is cool, but artificial racing is not cool.
At least they don't come up with an option tyre.

I think NASCAR should rather change the sporting regulations. Getting rid of the Playoffs, a new points system and actually disqualifying drivers/teams that get caught cheating could be something to start with.

I honestly don't get this move. I mean, when they were going for less downforce via smaller splitter and smaller spoilers, the cars became more difficult to drive, but that just cut the chaff from the wheat in terms of which drivers had talent and which drivers didn't. You had to actually manage the car. I mean, the only thing I'd honestly change from the 2018 rules package is to give teams softer tires, so tire management plays a bigger part in the race.

Have no idea how this will play out, but racing is racing. Everybody will be doing their best to find an edge. Some think of this as a bunched up Talladega at every track, and I don’t see it playing out that way. I’m a fan, so I’ll be watching and hopeful for the best.

I honestly don't get this move. I mean, when they were going for less downforce via smaller splitter and smaller spoilers, the cars became more difficult to drive, but that just cut the chaff from the wheat in terms of which drivers had talent and which drivers didn't. You had to actually manage the car. I mean, the only thing I'd honestly change from the 2018 rules package is to give teams softer tires, so tire management plays a bigger part in the race.
Narrower tires.

And get rid of the shark fin

Kyle Larson got an early on-track test of new NASCAR aero rules
https://www.motorsport.com/nascar-cup/news/nascar-kyle-larson-new-aero-rules/3190469/

“We did about half the day or a little bit more in 2019 aero package. It just has way more grip,” Larson said Friday at Dover (Del.) International Speedway. “We ran through some different tire compounds and stuff to get an idea.

“All of them had a lot of grip, so you could carry a ton of throttle. The acceleration obviously wasn’t the same as the ’18 package, just because you have the bigger blade and stuff on the back. A lot more drag.

“It was pretty crazy how far you could run in the corner and then also how quick you could pick the gas up.”

Wow, it sounds like exactly what the people who "don't know what they are talking about and should shut up and wait and see what it looks like" are expecting. That's crazy!
Despite my negative expectations, it is even more disappointing to hear these comments coming from a flat 1-mile track that still uses the 750-horse motor. I shudder to imagine what Larson would say if this test was on a banked 1.5er or 2.0er with horsepower choked back to 550.

Despite my negative expectations, it is even more disappointing to hear these comments coming from a flat 1-mile track that still uses the 750-horse motor. I shudder to imagine what Larson would say if this test was on a banked 1.5er or 2.0er with horsepower choked back to 550.

It's going to look boring to drive by yourself even to the most layman spectator, like a current 2.5er. Left turns will be harder to defend to most people you know more now than ever..

I listened to Kyle Larson's whole interview and not some excerpts. ;)

Link? The only thing omitted from the article in this thread is

Larson said he is willing to take a “wait and see” approach to see how the new rules play out on the track next season.

“There were only four of us at Phoenix. None of us ever really ran nose to tail,” he said. “We’ll see how it goes. But, I’ll be driving and trying to win races just like I am now.”

What I am referring to was the interview on the Nascar site that was right after the tire test. It isn't there now.

So this is the 2019 car.

2a7mm2t.jpg

My thoughts:

I think we could trim the spoiler back a bit, but basically looks like a super late model

If you put a few holes in the spoiler at the deck (bottom) we would be back to the wing.
Shift the nose to the right and you would be close to the "Twisted Sister". That would make Joey happy. I think the 22 will get back to the top with this car.

No air ducts on that car or am I missing something? Or would Phoenix not be a place they would run those?

No air ducts on that car or am I missing something? Or would Phoenix not be a place they would run those?
14 races with the 750 hp they have now, w/ front ducts and spoiler, on tracks less that 1.2 miles I believe. Last weekends Dover being one of them...couldn't hurt IMO. and now without an in car track bar adjuster to keep them nailed into the bottom groove. eh looks better on paper to me anyway.

Back
Top Bottom