NASCAR considering radical changes to playoff system

NASCAR is always trying to compete with the NFL. Delusional much?

NFL will beat you in their worst day so no matter what NASCAR does it will never change the fact that Football is king here and will be for a long time.

Most people still see NASCAR as a redneck "event." They dont even see it as a sport. lol

I think they actually raised the chances of a winless champion.

Also an irrelevant champion, not saying Dale jr would be an illegitimate champion last year. But this year might be different.

Also an irrelevant champion, not saying Dale jr would be an illegitimate champion last year. But this year might be different.

If you're a driver with a smaller team that gets a plate win, it could be a good move to lay back and use risky pit strategy to stay in the game. Anything can happen in the last race.

If you're a driver with a smaller team that gets a plate win, it could be a good move to lay back and use risky pit strategy to stay in the game. Anything can happen in the last race.

Yup

Who knows. They probably planned to run past years thru the new system, but stopped when Jr came out the champ in 2013.
As I stated earlier in this thread, had this points system been in place last year, the champions of the three major series would have had just one win between them. You'd think that would be Brian France's worst nightmare, with stressing the importance if wins and all.

As I stated earlier in this thread, had this points system been in place last year, the champions of the three major series would have had just one win between them. You'd think that would be Brian France's worst nightmare, with stressing the importance if wins and all.

this is tha kinda hyperbole clark was talkin bout.
.... new cup chase format bein also applied ta " what-if "........ in truck/nw series last yr too ????
that's hardly just opinion ! wild conjecture maybe ?

.... new cup chase format bein also applied ta " what-if "........ in truck/nw series last yr too ????
No...Crafton had one win and Dillon had none. Truck and Nationwide still don't have a playoff, so those stay the same. Jr. wins with zero wins. 1 + 0 + 0 = 1.

2. All races will matter as wins mean more now
The one thing you could bank on before the Chase was that every finishing position in every single race had a direct impact on the championship. What happened at Phoenix in March meant as much as what happened at Texas in November.

No...Crafton had one win and Dillon had none. Truck and Nationwide still don't have a playoff, so those stay the same. Jr. wins with zero wins. 1 + 0 + 0 = 1.

"what -if ? " ......is still supposition......not fact...or opinion.
france's win emphasis is now ! ---'14.......not last yr !

I don't see where it says to shut up... just that the complaining needs to stop... :p Just sayin'
This is total Bull Shiit, we as the fans that brought Nascar to where they are today, have every right to complain about an inferior product, one that is more gimmicky than the lame ass reality shows.

This is total Bull Shiit, we as the fans that brought Nascar to where they are today, have every right to complain about an inferior product, one that is more gimmicky than the lame ass reality shows.

so..........these 35 pages in this thread...... don't prove & exhibit that right ??

Yes they do , just pisses me off when some one says we should stop complaining about which we are so passionate about.;)

mopar....agree.....that's why this forum exists.........an all viewpoints allowed.
opens everybody's mind a bit maybe....regardless of mindset when ya enter . ?

No, Junior didn't win the championship last year, but the "what if" scenario proves that a winless champion in this format is possible, maybe even more possible than any format that preceded it. Never before in the Cup series has a driver won a championship without winning at least one race. If this new format, that "puts a greater emphasis on winning", produces our first winless champion, that would be karma at its finest.

A winless champion has always been possible. If one of these guys makes it to be the series champion without wining a race that driver will have taken the toughest road to get there and most certainly will have earned it. I would have accepted a winless champion under any of the other formats so this is really no different IMO. It's a new era in racing. We're all going to have to learn how to accept it and move on or simply get the hell out of the way. It is what it is and there's no looking back.

Yes they do , just pisses me off when some one says we should stop complaining about which we are so passionate about.;)

I think some people hear complaints about nascar and think you hate the SPORT, even though the complaint is about the governing body, which is also called nascar.

Why u snappin at me?! I didn't even say it.. I just said he said it lol.. jeez take a pill bro

No, Junior didn't win the championship last year, but the "what if" scenario proves that a winless champion in this format is possible, maybe even more possible than any format that preceded it. Never before in the Cup series has a driver won a championship without winning at least one race. If this new format, that "puts a greater emphasis on winning", produces our first winless champion, that would be karma at its finest.
In order to win with no wins they would have to be the points leader at Richmond Dover Talladega and Martinsville, and then beat the other 3... When's the last time the points leader had no wins that far into the season? Yeah sure it's possible but not likely.

In order to win with no wins they would have to be the points leader at Richmond Dover Talladega and Martinsville, and then beat the other 3... When's the last time the points leader had no wins that far into the season? Yeah sure it's possible but not likely.

That isn't quite right. First, Phoenix is a cut off race, not M'ville.

After Richmond, that driver needs to be 16th or better in points out of the full field.

After Dover, he would need to be 12th or better out of just 16 drivers.

After Talladega, he would need to be 8th or better out of just 12 drivers.

After Phoenix, he would need to be 4th or better out of just 8 drivers.

After Homestead, he would need to beat just the 3 other championship eligible drivers.

They wouldn't have to lead the points after all those races. They'd just have to be among the highest in points of the non-winners after Richmond, in the Top 12 at the first elimination, in the Top 8 at the second, and highest in points among drivers who didn't win at M'ville, Texas, or Phoenix at the third elimination. And with the points resetting after every round, it's very possible.

That isn't quite right. First, Phoenix is a cut off race, not M'ville.

After Richmond, that driver needs to be 16th or better in points out of the full field.

After Dover, he would need to be 12th or better out of just 16 drivers.

After Talladega, he would need to be 8th or better out of just 12 drivers.

After Phoenix, he would need to be 4th or better out of just 8 drivers.

After Homestead, he would need to beat just the 3 other championship eligible drivers.
A driver could be 15th in points and win at Dover... and the guy in 12th with no wins would still be out I think...

This is one of my main beefs with this new format....it's too damn confusing. 40 years ago in 1974, NASCAR introduced an equally wacky and confusing points system, which paid out points based on money won. Basically, your season winnings times the number of races you started divided by 1,000 was how many points you had. That format was ditched after just one year, hopefully this one will be too.

Yeah yeah.. still, my point is it will be very difficult to win the cup with no wins... 12th or better.. right... but they have to win to move on :D

No they don't. there can only be 3 winners in each round. The rest move on based on points vs the other contenders.

Hold the line. I'm putting Brian on to explain it to you. ;)

No they don't. there can only be 3 winners in each round. The rest move on based on points vs the other contenders.

Hold the line. I'm putting Brian on to explain it to you. ;)
Regardless of any of this.. my point is it will be very hard for the champion to not have any wins on the season. Not saying it's not possible because it clearly is.. just not likely.

If the complaining stopped you couldn't post anymore, haven't you noticed that you complain more about the complainers and anybody that doesn't agree with you than the rest of us combined.
That was last week :D

My intensity tends to fluctuate lol.. I've learned that like the points system itself.. I cant change the things I don't like about your opinions.. so I just try to accept them and enjoy the sport I love regardless of all this.

Back
Top Bottom