NASCAR Death Bed

We are getting close to the danger zone of complaining about complainers. A vicious circle indeed. ;)

Don't forget to throw in people obsessed with TV ratings and empty seats at tracks. Those are faves of mine as all you have to do is have to do is watch a couple of laps of a race and be able to read a tweet to ascertain both. It is easier than falling in love.

We are getting close to the danger zone of complaining about complainers. A vicious circle indeed. ;)
Nascar hoping to pick up even more naysayers with this obvious deathbed nonsense. I don't know why they just don't give up and die

Twitter announces deal to livestream NASCAR races

Twitter announced another live sports stream Thursday — a deal to bring in-car NASCAR race camera perspectives to its 328 million monthly users.
terms of the deal were not released (pending naysayer predictions) Twitter has signed Toyota as a sponsor of the streams, the microblogging giant said.
Fans will be able to access the inside-the-car stream for free via the organization’s official Twitter handle, @NASCAR, and Nascar.twitter.com, the companies said.

The screen featuring the live feed will also display curated tweets designed to capture the Twitter-NASCAR conversation.
http://nypost.com/2017/08/17/twitter-announces-deal-to-live-stream-nascar-races/

Agree totally. In truth, the truck series makes for the best racing because of the design of the trucks. Takes a lot of the aero issues out of play you see in Cup. Brings the draft into play which makes for great racing. Look at Michigan as an example. If not for the overtime excitement of Larson pulling off that win, the race itself was one of the biggest snoozers one could ask for. The field just spreads out after every restart and stays that way. On the other hand the truck race was a struggle from lap one until the finish. On intermediate tracks, the Cup series has come down to one thing. Who can get through turn one on a restart. After that, everyone just waits on the next caution, or stage.
I don't know why nascar doesn't fix the cars and make them less aero dependent, makes no sense.

Again why, make them like the trucks, lift them off the ground more and get rid of the hideous splitter. There is no need for these cars to be going 215 at Michigan .
Yep. Speed does not translate well on TV. As the crowds at the track continue to dwindle it doesn't matter to the largest audience, those watching on TV, if they are doing 180 or 230 mph.

Again why, make them like the trucks, lift them off the ground more and get rid of the hideous splitter. There is no need for these cars to be going 215 at Michigan .
They'd have to do something beyond making them less aero dependent.

Velocity is the primary factor in all aerodynamic equations.

Nascar hoping to pick up even more naysayers with this obvious deathbed nonsense. I don't know why they just don't give up and die

Twitter announces deal to livestream NASCAR races

Twitter announced another live sports stream Thursday — a deal to bring in-car NASCAR race camera perspectives to its 328 million monthly users.
terms of the deal were not released (pending naysayer predictions) Twitter has signed Toyota as a sponsor of the streams, the microblogging giant said.
Fans will be able to access the inside-the-car stream for free via the organization’s official Twitter handle, @NASCAR, and Nascar.twitter.com, the companies said.

The screen featuring the live feed will also display curated tweets designed to capture the Twitter-NASCAR conversation.
http://nypost.com/2017/08/17/twitter-announces-deal-to-live-stream-nascar-races/
Smithfield Foods In Talks With RPM To Return As Sponsor For No. 43

https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com.../22/Marketing-and-Sponsorship/Smithfield.aspx

But ... NASCAR is dead. DEAD!

They'd have to do something beyond making them less aero dependent.

Velocity is the primary factor in all aerodynamic equations.
Yeh no kidding, but if you take more down force off these cars they aren't going to be going flat out without barely lifting in corners, it will slow them down.

Because racing is about speed and going faster than your opponents, its the whole point of racing.

Because racing is about speed and going faster than your opponents, its the whole point of racing.

One of the issues that the all three top levels in NASCAR is experiencing is cost. If you cut the speed you cut the cost associated with it.

While the truck formula (high drag, high downforce, low horsepower) might improve Cup racing at Indy, I am certainly not in favor of this approach on banked ovals. Cars trundling around WFO without lifting, without braking... bleh. I support the low downforce approach Nascar has pursued for the last 2-3 years, which puts more emphasis on the driver. To me, this is non-negotiable.

The next big step... cut side force substantially.

While the truck formula (high drag, high downforce, low horsepower) might improve Cup racing at Indy, I am certainly not in favor of this approach on banked ovals. Cars trundling around WFO without lifting, without braking... bleh. I support the low downforce approach Nascar has pursued for the last 2-3 years, which puts more emphasis on the driver. To me, this is non-negotiable.

The next big step... cut side force substantially.
It hasn't improved racing

When speed takes away from the racing and makes it less enjoyable then it is detrimenral to the sport. There is no need for these cars to be approaching speeds of 220 at places like Michigan.

Got to disagree, enjoyed Michigan races and love the speed they get there.

Yeh no kidding, but if you take more down force off these cars they aren't going to be going flat out without barely lifting in corners, it will slow them down.
They'll still need downforce.

Physics.

When speed takes away from the racing and makes it less enjoyable then it is detrimenral to the sport. There is no need for these cars to be approaching speeds of 220 at places like Michigan.
They need to make MIS a restrictor plate track!:lurk:

No question. In car camera shots via Twitter and a sponsor in discussions to re-up proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that all is well.......:D

Can you get Larson a full season sponsor? The guy needs a Lowes/MM Mars/Nationwide type company to want to be on his car full time.

Can you get Larson a full season sponsor? The guy needs a Lowes/MM Mars/Nationwide type company to want to be on his car full time.

I think Larson and Ganassi will be fine and won't have to settle for Velveeta money.

Less down force slower in the corners
The reducing aero problem is lift overcoming downforce.

The only way to do it is to reduce overall race speeds mechanically ... engine output / gearing and so on.

The reducing aero problem is lift overcoming downforce.

The only way to do it is to reduce overall race speeds mechanically ... engine output / gearing and so on.
If you reduce the down force, they will have to lift in the corners, slow down 25-30 mph like they used to, making the driver have much more output. The avg lap speed will decrease, common sense.

If you reduce the down force, they will have to lift in the corners, slow down 25-30 mph like they used to, making the driver have much more output. The avg lap speed will decrease, common sense.
No, it is not common sense.

Prior to the introduction of skirting and sacrificial front air dams that morphed into air dams / splitters, overall race speeds were approx 30 mph slower at the fast tracks than they are now primarily because engines produced 200 fewer hp than they do now.

If the airflow under the cars is increased to pre-air dam levels and engine output is not decreased accordingly, cars will fly and liability insurors will withdraw coverage for cause.

No, it is not common sense.

Prior to the introduction of skirting and sacrificial front air dams that morphed into air dams / splitters, overall race speeds were approx 30 mph slower at the fast tracks than they are now primarily because engines produced 200 fewer hp than they do now.

If the airflow under the cars is increased to pre-air dam levels and engine output is not decreased accordingly, cars will fly and liability insurors will withdraw coverage for cause.
Why will cars fly any more than they already do? Back in the 90s they didn't with 800hp and less dowforce. Nascar doesnt want to address the problem, instead they fabricate excitement with the Chase and stages. This is why the sport is going down the toilet.

Just looked it up in 1994 cup cars were producing 750-800hp, the reduction rules in 2015 brought them down supposedly to 750 but they have since increased hp the last 2 years. These cars won fly into the stands any more than the do now if speeds are decreased and less aero, hell if any thing it will be less.

How many people really think NASCAR is dying off and won't be around in 10-15-20 years?

I think NASCAR will always be the name of a body that sanctions races and things may look different but it ain't disappearing. I see a future of 4-6 cylinders cars that are smaller with crate motors and rolling chassis available and no manufacturers present. I see more road courses as well as a street course or 2 with a 25 race season. I also think that tracks like Pocono, MIS and Ricmond will disappear as well Kentucky while other tracks will be down to one date with many running a different configuration then what they do now.

81178_Rear_3-4_Web.jpg

1992 Ford. Ground scraping sacrificial splitter preventing air from running under the car and producing lift.
This car had far more downforce than the current iteration of the gen 6 car has.

"Getting them up off the ground and getting rid of the aero devices on the front of the cars" is not happening without a corresponding reduction in engine output. The price of liability insurance is one thing. The actual availability of said insurance is another matter.

stick airplane wings on em, that's the ticket
There's a limit to downforce reduction given the current mix of venues. That's all I'm saying.

Are we there yet? I don't know the answer to that.

I'm with ya to a point. Much has been done to the tops of the cars with hatches, shark fins etc. to keep them from flying, but yeah there is a tipping point. Todays cars are 5 or 6 " lower than that picture also. Tires up in the wheelwells, I believe they had height limits back then.

I'm with ya to a point. Much has been done to the tops of the cars with hatches, shark fins etc. to keep them from flying, but yeah there is a tipping point. Todays cars are 5 or 6 " lower than that picture also. Tires up in the wheelwells, I believe they had height limits back then.
Current bodywork shrouding the tires and behind the wheel wells and the skirting have that effect.

Minimum chassis ride height back then was 4 or 4 1/4".

Sad, but true. I get a ribbing today when I pull out my $15 non-smart phone at work. The sad part of it all, is these fools have a incredible computer in their pockets and don't even know how to utilize it. We put Neil and Buzz on the the Moon in 1969, but they can't do the simple things today.

I love it when a dude that owns a 500 dollar smart phone asks to borrow my 8 year old 20 dollar flip phone because his won't work :lol2: I particularly love it when they say their latest "update" screwed up their phone

81178_Rear_3-4_Web.jpg

1992 Ford. Ground scraping sacrificial splitter preventing air from running under the car and producing lift.
This car had far more downforce than the current iteration of the gen 6 car has.

"Getting them up off the ground and getting rid of the aero devices on the front of the cars" is not happening without a corresponding reduction in engine output. The price of liability insurance is one thing. The actual availability of said insurance is another matter.
So let's take a 100hp away, those cars actually looked more showroom than the current spec car.

Back
Top Bottom